Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 7

Old 05-12-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Up, I'm so sorry to hear about the softball game... That must be terrible. I hope that you can get back there for your daughter. I believe in you
Old 05-12-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you for that post Ilya !!

And Adna , your earlier post about not being able to control anyone else is brilliant !

Sometimes all I have left , if I can remember to think of it , is the Serenity Prayer.

How does that work like that , Screwd ?
If it's something that can't be changed , and you have to find the strength to accept it, ...just know that we are here solidly in support of you ,... working through these times.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey all, tried to get the most out of my day off today, checking in on new thread and saying hi and I'm doing good.
Much love to the ones struggling I read thru all the posts from earlier <3
Old 05-12-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Soliliquy ,

I never knew it at the time , back in 2010, about one of my Classmates , Ghostly .

He started here thinking he would use SR to quit for 30 days , ...and now over four years later, his life has improved exponentially , ..
A life second to none.

Ghostly is living proof that this doesn't have to be a temporary self-improvement type exercise , but rather a life changing event.

I truly believe we can all walk away from our personal struggles with addiction.

Please hang tough Overwhelmed, .... I can't add to what's been said, just know I have full confidence in you, ...... you can make it through today.

Semper Strong ....Sober Fools
Old 05-12-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

It's complicated Top, but hopefully not permanent.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am tired, but sober. This working for a living is gonna kill me.
Up and Betterlife, congratulations on the one month milestone. MY, time flies when we are having fun.
How are your parents, Sol?
I hope tomorrow is a better day for you, SkrewdUp
Iyla, happy to see you back in the saddle
ST, you sound much better. Don't forget to drink lots of water.
Top, what would we do without your Witt?
Mariah, MrsB, Mr G., Adna, Izzy,chickchick, Dee, Obo, Panacea, DancingDiva, Applekat, Kitten and whoever else I have not listed... hope you are all doing well. I keep each one of you in my prayers and on my gratitude list.

Last edited by StormiNormi; 05-12-2014 at 09:34 PM. Reason: word add
Old 05-12-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Normi - doing well here

D
Old 05-12-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Overwhelmed.....I'm sorry that things are so stressful & overwhelming for you. I think what Adna & TS said about doing your best to "let go" of those things you have no control over is probably the most helpful in "relieving" what you are experiencing......Please remember that drinking over any of it will only make it all worse. I really hope things get easier for you this week

Hi Up....I know that must be really tough for you....glad you are posting here & just keep moving forward & I'm sure that situation will change for you.

Solilo - Glad to see you here today & hope you stick with us here beyond the 30 days. Thinking of you knowing this must be a very difficult time for you with your Mom.

Ilyla...do glad you are here & posting. Take it easy these first few days

Mrsbee & Chick chick - Hope you are both feeling better soon.

Congrats Stormi & Up on 30 days!! Obosob on 18 & glad you are checking in here with us ST - 35 days is great, and so glad to hear your taking care of yourself..you deserve it!

Congrats to everyone with another day or making a milestone

End of a long day - Good night Mary Ellen, Jim Bob, Elizabeth, John Boy, Erin, Mama, Papa, Grandma, Grandpa.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just kind of skimmed over what I missed.

Kitten: that description of the anxiety you felt, I can relate to that very well as it happens to me often. It's extremely frustrating to want or need to do something and not be able to. It's not like "I don't want to do that so I'm just not even going to think about it." It's quite the opposite. I think about it constantly. Sometimes I intend to do whatever it is that's causing me anxiety, anticipate doing it with much anguish, then the time comes and I can't bring myself to, it's too late and I feel awful. The difference is, I feel like it's lessened. I know that it gets especially bad for me the following day or two after drinking too much. You're the only person I've heard say "lizard brain" other than on Dexter lol i didn't know it was a thing.

Izzy: math went well. I decided that it would be a good idea for him to brush up on the basics to make the other stuff easier, so he worked on multiplication today. I'm surprised he was even passing math at school. He was scared to ask questions because the teacher said things like " I already went over how to do this. I'm not your private teacher".

So on the first day of homeschool he worked on multiplication, finished a book he had started reading yesterday, and wrote a rough draft for a book report. He watched episode 1 of Discovery Channel's Powering the Future, a four part mini series on renewable energy, and took notes. He'll be writing a paper on it on Fri. I found a lesson plan for the documentary Food Inc. and I'm pretty excited to begin that. It's designed for grades 6-12 but I'm sure he can handle it. I should've had him watch that a long time ago. All in all I'd say it was a successful day! It's pretty awesome being the one who decides what my child is taught. Teach your children well! I counted the days and we took him out only 21 school days early, two of which are field days.

Topspin: that is quite inspiring about your friend Ghostly. What a great triumph. I think that one of my biggest problems, no, I KNOW that one of my biggest problems in life is my inability to make decisions. I'm so indecisive it's ridiculous. I keep second guessing things, I go back and forth. It's hard to be steadfast.

Well I guess it's a good thing I don't have to wake up early tomorrow. I like school better when it works with my schedule. Actually, if I had my way I'd stay up till 3am and sleep till 11pm every day. Can't quite do that but not waking up at 6:30 makes me happy!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Morning everyone,

Just a quick check in before work.

MariahGayle, you remembered the Waltons names, that's just awe inspiring!

Applekat, I totally agree with your aim to "get passed the month milestone". In the past, I too had a sobriety plan for a week, a month, even a year, and each time felt justified in really enjoying some wine as a "celebration" when I'd completed the milestone.

I found that it just reinforced the false thoughts in my brain that I needed alcohol to cope, that alcohol was in some way a treat, that it was worth striving for, that it was ok to poison my body just because I'd "suffered" a month without it.

Then, of course, the whole dreadful cycle started again, only I was even further down in the mire because I'd "failed" yet again.

My strategy this time is to ask the question "how would a non-drinker cope with this?". Luckily I have a tea total friend (who has actually coped with many traumas in her life), so I try to imagine what she would do, or what advice she might give.

I wish I'd not wasted so much time returning to the alcohol cycle. I'm only now beginning to realise that alcohol never actually helped me cope with anything, because after a few drinks I wasn't around to do any coping! It always made a bad situation much worse.

I hope everyone has a better day today.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Morning Free or for me nite. Almost 2:30

Started out listening to Pink Floyd to try and mellow out and somehow wound up on You Tube. Listening to to songs I wouldn't link on here.

I am gonna try and get some sleep. See you guys in the morning.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good morning,
Very long day ahead of me and I'm up too early again! I'm still going to try for that last hour of sleep.
This was our last night sleeping in the living room. We had an infestation (bed bugs) a couple of months back. We moved to the living room which is directly facing a noisy truck route. It hadn't bothered me whatsoever until now!
Thankfully our new bed arrives today and we can sleep in the lovely dark, quiet cave that is our bedroom.
And thankfully the fighting is over... For now
Old 05-13-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Question Lost

Hi Iam only 2 days sober and would like to connect with people going through the early stages of sobriety but a bit lost on here. Not sure what thread or where to go, would appreciate some help please. Thank you
Old 05-13-2014, 02:36 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi wendy - welcome

you might feel more at home in our Class of May thread here?:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2014-a-12.html

D
Old 05-13-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Morning Fools.

Hope everyone is doing good this morning.

I got to remember to not start watching music videos late at night, I almost feel hungover.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Morning all, gosh I wish there was something I could add or say to help the people that are really struggling <3 I send positive energy and vibes your way and hope that some sort of resolve or inner peace can be found. I want everyone here to be able to find some peace and happiness one way or another, I really know how hard this is, this is harder for me then any job or task in life I had to accomplish. It's an emotionally "sharp" issue to have an deal with. The only way I can describe it. I think about all of the April class every day. <3

I was going out of my way to get the most out of my day yesterday and really keep active instead of just saying it. Bad headache got in the way a little but it was ok. Thanks too, def am feeling not a wreck today lol. I feel accomplished a tiny but more cause I went out to a bar/grille type of place by me last night, and didn't have dread and anxiety about it. It was just my fiancé and I which made it easier, she even gave me a kiss in the car and said "don't worry sweetheart I'm not gonna drink either" which really really helped. I had a nice time actually. I kindly requested a table away from the bar and noise, and was able to enjoy myself. It did take a bit of shutting it all out in a way kinda and literally sat with my back turned to the bar (which is funny on a deeper level, like how the AV would rationalize it as your turning your back on a friend) I literally had my back turned haha. I didn't realize it was trivia night and probably would have done really well cause we were the only sober ones in the place! I really didn't feel like engaging with other drinkers tho, this is a "baby step" for me in a way and I'm doing it with someone who isn't drinking and also has my absolute best intentions for me, she wants me to succeed very much. Also, I was way more into my food at the moment I was starving actually and really enjoying my meal, and watching the baseball game on tv. I made the whole situation more dreadful in my head before hand. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but I feel like it was a group, I could have had a not-so-fun time. Anyway, my day was decent and not miserable, which is was I was begging for a few days ago. I'm still looking for a doctor tho, I have some more phonecalls to make after work this afternoon. Sorry for a long post but I hope this could maybe help someone, I really thought in the beginning that I was legit never gonna be able to go to a resturant that served booze, and I actually pulled it off, and wasn't miserable.
Stay strong April class, I'm shocking myself at day 36, hang in there it's worth it I think!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

G'morning, Up. I was doing the same thing last night, discovered a Danish power metal band called Wuthering Heights (Bronte fans?) and was up way too late rocking out.

Oh goodness, Ilya! I'm sure it will be super nice to sleep in your own bedroom tonight!

Soli, it's strangely reassuring to read someone describing the same awful experiences. There's some comfort in not being alone. And it sounds like your first day as principal went well!

LOL Mariah!

Tired and sober isn't a terrible place to be, Stormi. There's worse ones for sure.

Your friend sounds like a real inspiration, topspin. I was thinking last night while I was trying to sleep - what if I'd stayed sober the first time? I'd be about 2.5 years sober now, and likely all this PAWS stuff would be behind me. Oh well. There's things to be learned in every mistake.

Glad you're feeling so much better, ST!

I'm feeling a lot better, too. Just sore from exercise (did legs last night - with a backpack I threw a few weight plates into so I wouldn't be carrying heavy dumbbells with my bad arm) and a little groggy. Otherwise life looks okay again. Very reassuring. Makes me think a good portion of my brain problems are related to recovery and I might leave them in the dust eventually.

Happy Tuesday, Fools!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

You sound so much better ST, I am glad your night went good. Sounds like you have a wonderful woman there, you are gonna make it. Just take one piece of advice from me, years down the road don't take her for granted, I did with my wife and hate myself for it.

I'll have to check that band out kitten.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good morning. Whew, I am feeling 100% back to normal this morning. Thank goodness!

I've made it 3 weeks! Holy cow!

Off to find coffe... Then I have a lot of reading to do to catch up! I'm going to read while knitting a chicken for my 5 year old. It's all about the chicks! Haha!

Up, I saw your post chick calling me!! Hilarious!!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I am glad you are better chick, wasn't the same here.

Gonna knit a chick for your chick? I had to.