Notices

Class Of November 2012 - Part 7

Old 06-29-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hey guys. Just checking in. 8 months for me today. Very grateful. I will admit I've had to fight for it more than a few times this month. I was scared I was going to relapse to be honest. I did a lot of thinking it through, really hard thinking. In the end, it became very simple. I will only relapse if I allow myself to. If I choose to. It's not inevitable. I want sobriety. A drink or a drunk is not worth giving it up.

It's definitely a process huh? Some growing pains are to be expected I suppose. I do know this - A certain peace has come to me the further along I go. So even on my most anxious, stressful days, it is so much better than when I was stuck in the cycle of drinking. I'm not giving up my sobriety for anything or anyone and I'll fight for it with all I've got and then some.

Hope you all are doing well.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

FMFT!!!!!!

congratulations on 8 months...great job!

I thought of you this weekend when we were in Saratoga. I'm back in PA now. It's hard for me to post on my phone but I'll be back in Raleigh tomorrow.

You are a true inspiration to me!
Old 07-02-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

FMFT, congrats on getting to the 8 month mark!!! The people who come back have more courage then me. Im not sure I could make that decision.

Just to check in. Today is 20 months for me!!! It really is amazing what that amount of time can do in my life. I am happy, free and able to live life. It is amazing how much I have changed. Excited to live instead of afraid to die!!!!

I am at the point where I am going to be making changes to my life now. During my time sober I have put on a ton of weight and while I am not obese (yet) I am deff overweight with many bad habits. I am on day 5 of working out daily and eating healthy. I am hoping to quit smoking soon, although I don't want to so I am not sure how that will go. If there is one thing I learned its that quitting has to be something I want, not something I need.

I'll try to keep you all updated on how things progress. It may not be easy, but it sure is simple!!!

Wishing you all the best!!!!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Congrats on 20 months jsdphilly! For me I knew I had to keep coming back until I finally made the right choices and changes to get it right. So grateful I did and for all the support and wisdom I've received on this site. I love your attitude and I'm so happy for you that you've been able to see so many positive changes. Good luck with the weight loss. Maybe the healthy eating and working out will naturally lead to you wanting to quit the cigs. Keep us posted!
Old 07-03-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hi JSDPhilly and congratulations on 20 months! I had to come back here too. Once I finally made the decision to quit for good after failing spectacularly at moderation for over year, coming back seemed like the best thing I could do. Now I feel like I never left.

FMFT, have a great, well-earned vacation!

Just a quick post on my weekend at my sister's house. I ended up taking two packs of La Croix flavored water as a last minute thought and I'm really glad I did. Having my own cooler filled with my drinks made it a lot easier for me to avoid any temptation because there was plenty of alcohol around. By Saturday, I had to buy more water and many people ended up drinking it at the graduation party. I still always notice what other people are drinking...

Two things I did that I never would have been able to do when drinking: On Friday night, my mom wanted to go back to her hotel before my uncle (who was staying at the hotel too and had the car) was ready to leave. So, I offered to drive my mom back. In the past, I would have not been sober enough to drive at that point.

On Saturday evening, my daughter asked about 7:00 p.m. if would take her to see something called the Saratoga Monument in the town near where my sister lives. (it's a monument about the American Revolution). I said "sure" and my daughter said "really?" because I'm sure in the past I would have said no either because I had too much to drink or because I would have been too tired from drinking. Being sober, I was able to drive, had lots of energy left and took all three kids (my two and my nephew). We had a great time.

These things seem like pretty small things overall, but they were important to me. Just an example of how my life is so much better. By the times I got home, I had driven 1300 miles and was exhausted. But, I was also proud of myself.

Take care, everyone!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Just checking in today. I've been thinking of you Nomis, and hope that you are okay. Although I don't see my marriage in the same crisis that it was, it's still up and down and I don't know long term what will happen. So, I am thinking of you if your wife went back to her home country. I hope you have support of your family or friends.

Not much new...I'm taking steps to try to get myself in a more stable financial situation. I borrowed some money from an investment account at work and put enough away so I have some savings that I can build on, and I'm also working on setting a strict budget for myself and making financial goals. No matter what happens with my marriage, I want to be able to eventually take care of myself (and the kids) if that's what I need to do and that means paying off bills and living within my means. In a lot of ways I feel like I'm finally really growing up. Only took me almost 44 years...

FMFT, if you're reading...hope the vacation is going well! A week with family can be pretty stressful so I hope you find time for yourself to relax.

Hello VeryReady and anyone else still reading this thread.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Thanks for the thoughts Charlee. Yes the wife went back to her country, though reluctantly. I'm staying with my parents for the next month and that's good, but had to break the news to them today. Mom cried a little, it's tough. 20 months still sober tomorrow.

Finally growing up financially, it's funny how that happens when we get sober. It's like, you mean paying bills isn't optional?!

It's good to hear that your marriage is in a better place than it was, that has to feel positive.

Belated congrats on 20 JDS. And FMFT, you know I think you rock.

November 2012 seems like a lifetime ago now, doesn't it gang?
Old 07-12-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Hey folks. Just back from vacation. glad to see you all here and congrats on all the milestones. Life isn't any more exciting sober, but it sure is less painful. Plenty of chances to drink last week, but didn't dwell on it.

I noticed this. We have made this trip many times and there is always lots of family. The cooler always has beer in it, and there were always regular trips to the store to refill it. I noticed this time, even though there were more people there than usual, we never refilled the cooler with beer in 5 days. Everyone used to drink a couple and I would drink 8 (or more if possible). I was drinking all the beer. Most of these people will stretch 2-3 beers out all day. There are some vodka drinkers, but that is another story. So all this time, I was drinking all the beer. I guess I must have know that, but didn't think about it.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hello all-

I'm just back from a week long family vacation as well. 16 of us in one cabin. It had it's moments of tension as you would expect with a large group together 24/7, but all in all I found it to be a peaceful, relaxing time at a place that I love. I was worried the first few days with the amount of wine that came on the trip. I didn't know how I would get out of drinking it. I certainly had the opportunity if I wanted it. I started to go in panic mode a little bit, so early on I centered myself and made a decision that I was not going to let alcohol be a part of my vacation, and by that I mean I was not going to allow an internal battle to carry on the whole time, didn't want it to be a fight. Got myself in the right frame of mind, changed my perspective, reminded myself I didn't need to drink, I didn't want to drink, I want my sobriety and that was that. By the end of the second day I felt more comfortable in my own sober skin. I was careful to pay attention to cravings when they popped up. It became easy to just say no thanks to any offers and rather than feeling like I was missing out, I felt good. Many of the bottles went back home with my family members unopened, funny how that was.

Charlee and veryready - glad your trips also went well.
Charlee-I hope you've gotten some answers regarding your dad's health and things are ok.
Nomis - I'm sure this is a difficult time as the reality of it all sets in. The only way out is through sometimes...so I'll be thinking of you as you make it through this. Stay strong, stay sober and it will all work itself out in time.

Hi Dee
Old 07-16-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hi everyone,

Great job FMFT getting through the vacation with a good frame of mind and resisting the wine! Glad you got away to a place you love.

VeryReady, glad you had a good vacation too. Interesting observation about the beer.

Nomis, glad you are with your parents and hope the right path forward shows itself.

Things are good here. November 2012 does seem like forever ago, although that first attempt at sobriety really sticks with me in my memory. Wish I hadn't relapsed but have really grown and am doing things much differently this time. At almost 3 months, the cravings are gone most of the time and it seems normal to not be drinking. Doesn't mean I'm not vigilant, but it feels
better.

Mr. Charlee left for London yesterday for his sister's wedding. It's funny that we have tension still when we're in the house but the minute he leaves, we're texting up a storm talking to each other. I think the trip will be good for him. Of course, in the old days being alone meant I could drink more. Now, I just get more of the ice cream.

We still don't have any conclusive health diagnosis about my dad. Most tests are coming back normal except for his blood work and he still has water retention. I think neurologically, he's not the same and I can hear tension in my mom's voice about that. He seems happy and is very active, but he can be confrontational about things he didn't use to be confrontational about. He didn't come to my sister's house because of the water retention and other health issues. When we got back I saw the amount of beer and twisted tea bottles he's drinking and it's not the two per day he's been telling my mom. I'm sure my dad is an alcoholic like me, but I'm not sure he'll ever admit it. His health problems probably won't get better if he doesn't commit to living healthier. But, like all of us, the desire for changing has to come from within us and right now I don't see that in my dad.

That was a long winded post. I'd better go and get ready for work. Take care, Novies!
Old 07-29-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Good morning Novies.

I celebrate 9 months today. The past few months have had some growing pains, right now I feel like I'm in a good place recovery wise. Life is still crazy with 3 boys and a husband but I'm also trying to find myself and figure myself out. Hard work but has to be done so I don't ever again think drinking is the solution to my problems.

We took the kids to New York City for the day last week - I thought of all of you. It was a pretty cool reminder actually. Walking through Central Park, there was a street vendor selling prints. In the display was my avatar - Rosie the Riveter "We Can Do It" and right next to it was Sazzle's avatar - Wonder Woman. I couldn't believe it, the two side by side. I wonder how Sazzle is, haven't heard from her in awhile, but it made me think of her. I looked around for veryready's Keep on Truckin or Dee's muppet, that would have been something!

Soon after seeing that we came upon Bethesda Terrace, it's beautiful. You walk through a tunnel with mosaics on the ceiling and walls and their was a group singing soft, gospel music. The acoustics were amazing. When you came through the arches of the tunnel there was the Angel of The Waters sculpture and fountain. It was so beautiful it was overwhelming. It stirred up emotions in me and made me feel so grateful for sobriety. I threw a quarter (didn't have a penny) in the fountain and made a wish. Can't tell you what it was, but you may be able to guess.

Hope everyone is doing well recovery wise. I know life isn't easy and some of you are dealing with hard stuff right now. Stay strong, stay sober and everything will be alright.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 9 months FMFT!

D
Old 07-29-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hi everyone,

FMFT, it sounds like a great trip! I haven't been to NYC for years and really want to visit. I'd love to take my kids and do all the tourist things.

Congratulation on 9 months! That's so awesome. I realized that today is day 100 for me...first time in triple digits! Like you, I feel growing pains. Figuring stuff out can be hard. I still feel that emotionally, I'm all over the place. I don't expect to always feel good, but I hope long term, my emotions are more stable and not have these swings all the time. The good news is I very rarely have cravings anymore and being a non-drinker feels normal. I can pass the wine aisle at the store with not even a glance. It's when I'm around people drinking (which is rare) that I have to keep myself focused more.

Hope everyone else doing well. I think about everyone a lot.

Last edited by charleesavedme; 07-29-2014 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Spelling: not my strong point
Old 07-29-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Hey guys, great to see you check in!

Congrats on 9 months FMFT. Sounds like things are moving in the right direction for you these days. We all wonder about Sazzle, but that's how this place works I guess. I've never been to New York, but I did make the trek down to Washington State last week and really enjoyed my time.

Welcome to the three-digit club Charlee! Awesome achievement. I know how much of a challenge marriage difficulties can be, obviously, but it sounds like you are making many correct and positive decisions these days.

I woke up this morning, and for about 5 minutes thought about how crappy my life was. I'm 38 years old and don't have a whole lot to show for it, especially when comparing myself to my parents at the same age. But then I thought, why do I need to dwell on the negative. There are positives in my life as well, why not focus on that?! Easier said than done, right?

Well, I'm back seeing a therapist this summer. It's good, but tough. Forces me to ask a lot of difficult questions, but also keeps me grounded. Can't believe the summer is half way over, back to work in a couple of weeks.

Great hearing from you guys, you're doing wonderful!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, Just checking in. FMFT, congrats on 9 months!!
CSM, welcome to triple digits!!! In time the emotions start to balance out. For me it was more working on my self then just the time that did it.
Amazing job both of you.
Few days ago I had 21 months. Seems so long ago that I was fresh out of rehab and reading this site everyday. The craziest part is, it was sorta long ago. One day at a time to day 641!!!!

I had my first real 12th step call this week. I had to take one of my friends to detox in the ER. It is so painful to see someone who thinks they want to be sober but really has no interest in it. I hope he's ok. I sure didnt drink that night.

Keep up the work everyone!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hi everyone,

VeryReady and FMFT know this because of the 24 hour thread, but Charlee is very sick. He had emergency surgery for a tumor on his spleen that ruptured and was causing internal bleeding.

He made it through the surgery but today is unable to stand up. The vet said he should stand at this point and can find nothing that would give an explanation. If he does recover from the surgery, it's most likely that the tumors are caused by a form of blood cancer that is not curable.

I want to say that I'm remaining optimistic, but this has truly brought me to my knees. I'm not feeling very good or very strong. I was yesterday but the reality of the situation feels overwhelming and my heart is broken. I know we outlive our pets, but he's only 6.

I'm not going drink. I'll just get through tonight like I did in the early days. I guess I'm posting here for accountability. Charlee is counting on me to remain strong for the time he has left. I owe him that.

Thanks for listening. I hope you are all doing well. Nomis, I've thought about you a lot this summer. Well, I think of you all a lot and your sobriety inspires me to keep going.

Take care, Charlee
Old 08-13-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

OMG, i am so sorry about that. I can not believe the feelings you must be living with right now. Drinking doesnt help, one day at a time et... The slogans are great but dogs are family. My thoughts are with you. Remember, no matter what happens, as long as you are close with your dog they are as happy as they can be. Pain, sickness...it does not matter. Be close with them and know that if they have to let go, they are as happy as they can possibly be at that moment if you are standing next to them.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Thanks JSD. I visited him today at the animal clinic and that made me feel better. He's alert and eating. They don't really know why he can't stand yet, but it could be a condition that will remedy itself in time. It does not appear to cause him any pain. The incision for the surgery was not as bad as I had thought. No pathology results yet. I'm in a much better place today. I know that no matter how much time he has left, he has had a great life and he knows how much I love him. I have decided to keep hope that he could defy the odds for now and take things as they come.

At almost 4 months, I'm still new enough at sobriety that I'm amazed when I get through something very difficult and manage without drinking. I feel like a grown up or something.

Thank again. Take care.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

So sorry to hear this, Charlee. I have two cats and took them to the vet this summer. The younger one had to get major dental surgery, to the tune of almost 3 grand. As soon as he was done, the older other cat has gotten sick. Sadly with my separation and the money spent on the other cat, I just don't have anything left her. So I can empathize.

But you're right, Charlee needs you to be present and in the moment for her now. Just ask yourself one simple question: will drinking make your situation better or worse?

You're doing awesome, 4 months is great, so proud of you. Hang in there and you'll get through this in one piece.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Thanks Nomis. I'm sorry about your cats. I am worried about the cost of this. I think it will take all the money I have put in savings for my security and the only reason I could do the surgery is because I had that money. I guess that's good and bad. But I had to make a decision so quickly and when they gave me a figure and I knew I had it in the bank, I just said yes to trying to save him. I just finished paying for my daughter's braces so I'll just have to start putting that money back in to savings in a effort to build it back up. I am also thinking about having a garage sale to try to raise money for back to school shopping.

You are right, drinking is not ever going to make one situation better. Take care of yourself and your cats.

Well, I'm off to work. I am grateful for that distraction and that paycheck.