Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 31

Old 05-09-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Carlos - Ugh. My stomach dropped when I read your post. My college friends and I have a special place in each other's hearts; I completely understand that bond. It really stinks that you missed something so special and important, with a bunch of people who are important to you, at an event that everyone does as a show of support for one of your own. It's about the time together and the bond you share. Do they know why you're not there? What did you do to get through the day? Are you ok? Also, I hadn't known that your current situation wasn't the result of driving under the influence. That grinds my gears. It does.

Gilmer & Siesta - The issues of parenting Emerging Adult children (18-29 year olds) are well documented. http://news.clarku.edu/news/2013/10/...-looks-bright/

Courage - I like your ability to see the positive spin on things.

DG - I'm always struck by your insight.

I definitely find it helpful to process through my stressors here, and although sobriety is difficult, it's been awfully good to me. I wanted a place to share that so I copied DG's idea and created a gratitude thread to express my thanks.

Tonight I carpooled to Bunco. I'm usually enthusiastic to get a ride because I hate to drive (due to the lingering effects of panic disorder), but tonight I noticed I felt a bit antsy surrounded by all that alcohol, with no easy independent exit strategy. Next time I'll go alone. Aside from the booze making me feel claustrophobic, I had a good time catching up and reconnecting with everyone. I felt peaceful and connected tonight. And I won $20.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Siesta - congratulations on 6 months!
Old 05-10-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

six amazing months Siesta Congratulations!
Well done love, you have worked hard during a stressful time!
Old 05-10-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
Dee- I didn't know that your beard was so long!
Mrs Dee would never allow that LOL
I hear it's your 6 months siesta lol - congrats

D
Old 05-10-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Babs, congratulations on 2 weeks sweetie

AFREE hope you have a good and sober weekend.

Courage, thanks for checking, I'm actually doing ok this week. I have been pushing myself to get out and about, did 2 recordings, ran ( hobbled huffed and puffed) most days and did go along to the Isabella Gardner Museum; which was lovely, that courtyard! Also has a meal out last night with hubby as he was home early for a change. He had a few beers and relaxed after a stressy week, and we had a fun time laughing at loads of stuff, real gut aching laughter, which we both needed. We got home & he poured himself a brandy then fell asleep tilting it! I kept nudging him awake but he'd doze off again. At one time I would have taken it, drank it and put the glass back in his hand! All I worried about yesterday was the mess if it spilt.

Gilmer did you catch everything up? I think it is so much more of an achievement to work at something that doesn't gel than glide through something one finds easy.

Carlos I hope you feel less down today, I have to ditto Courages wise words.

DG, congratulations on 1 year 1 month. I wonder if you are perhaps just needing a little 'me' time. Having been through so much stress before finally making the break with bf, and spending time making your home your own again, perhaps part of you feels like you are rushing into furthering things with crush when you have yet to truly get used to just being you??

Enjoy time on your tractor Cowboy, you could tandem plough with Zero on his!! Haha

My Undie friends, I wish all of you a lovely sober weekend xx
Old 05-10-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Siesta!
Old 05-10-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Happy 2 weeks to you, too, Babs!
Old 05-10-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Courage - I like your ability to see the positive spin on things.
LOL I guess you weren't around the Undies last year! Ask Dorothy -- somebody else took over Courage -- and I hope won't let her go.

Congratulations, Siesta!

Congratulations, Babs!

DG, I think a weekend's rest will be just what you need. Lounging around that sparkling clean home that's all your own now -- that will put you back in focus on your right direction.

Boozefree, thanks for the pictures. Enjoy the brunch tomorrow. If things around your sister get stressful, you obviously have lots of beauty around you to reflect on -- do you meditate?

Toots, I'm glad you had some time with hubby -- I know he works a lot and probably time in the evening with him is precious. The weather seems finally to be taking a turn for the warm on the east coast, so you should start planning beach excursions.

Gleefan, congratulations on your win!

Gotta go -- I have a whole list of chores I need to catch up on today, and it's time to decide which ones I'll blow off first
Old 05-10-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Carlos? How are you feeling today? Gotta check in on you when you aren't here percolating in the morning!
Old 05-10-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Gilmer! How did all those lessons go?

Carlos, yes, we're waiting on your checkin. I'm alcoholically anxious that you're mad at me for what I wrote yesterday, so please remember it's all about me & I need to hear from you
Old 05-10-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Carlos, face facts! Your SR baberaham lincolns crave you!

Courage, I got a lot done yesterday, and am about to get a lot done today. I slept late and have unfortunately once again blown off my mountain hike ("too late! too hot! too frickin' tired!"). i have to wait here til the tile contractor stops working for the day so i can close up the house, so I'll have all day to surf and work.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Somehow I lost the thread here and now I've found it again. Too much to catch up on but I hope you are all well. I have been ok, I guess. Just really busy getting the ranch cleaned up after the big winter. Been having some pretty awful anxiety but I am learning to put myself first and say NO when I need to say it. The first step in taking care of myself. And I hired some help. I'm trying to find a balance between being a hermit and having chaos all around me. Both extremes seem to be encroaching. Back and forth. Back and forth. I wish I could find a medium place. I over do everything.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Glee- Glad to hear you started a gratitude thread. Although, I admit, I borrowed the idea from Shockozulo who probably got it from somebody else. But that's the great thing about being part of a recovery support group- we can share and pass on the things that work for us. Taking time to be grateful for things in sobriety has really helped me. I try to look at the positive side of things rather than thinking that I'm missing out or that it sucks that I'm not drinking. Truth be told, I was missing out on a lot when I was drinking and all the stuff I went through for it really sucked.

Siesta- Congrats on 6 months!!

Carlos- I hope you're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. All those mysterious references about what caused all of this... I'm wondering if you got reallly smashed one night and took your pants off in public!

Toots- I definitely could do with some time to just be me. Thing is that I really like crush and I have no plans on letting him slip away. But I do want to work towards some balance.

Gilmer- Hope you enjoy your surf and work day. I imagine having the tile contractor over is a hassle, but whatever he's doing will probably look really good when he's done.

Courage- We like the new you.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Else! Any chance of a nice ride today?
Old 05-10-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hi Elsie. Glad you found us again.

Well, I feel loads better after a long night's rest. I've got a ton to get done and my initial reaction is to feel a bit stressed and panicky about it. But the truth is that if I just schedule it out and get to work, it should all go just fine. I really function better when I'm busy doing stuff so it's really probably a positive thing that I have a lot to do. Working at home it can be difficult to get that self motivation going so having some pressure time-wise will probably actually help me. I really want to get some work stuff done so I can go see crush.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

That's good to have a timetable, DG. I'm glad you're back in the swing.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody
Have a great day!
Old 05-10-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hi Else!

Siesta big congrats on 6 months!

Courage I actually recently have been reading up on meditation. It's something I am def interested in but not sure how to really get started.

DG sounds like you have a good plan to tackle the work load. I find that if I just sit down and get started one task at a time it's usually not as bad as I think it will be.

Carlos any new cleaning projects this weekend?

I took my dog to the park for about an hour this morning and now just being kinda lazy listening to more music. I do need to do some light cleaning around the house but may save that for tomorrow. I like to have one mellow day and one productive day on the weekends. It's supposed to be super hot this coming week. High 90s, gross! Someone send me overcast weather please!

And a big hi to all the undies! Hope everyone has a fun sober weekend!
Old 05-10-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Thunderstorms here, BF (but 85 degrees).
Old 05-10-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hello Undies,

THANK YOU: I am overwhelmed with all of the kind thoughts and empathy for my difficult time yesterday. If it all goes well, that may be the last of those really difficult experiences since I only have like two and a half days to go (in Seinfeld time that is-if any of you know the episode). It really comes off on Wednesday morning.

A friend came to visit yesterday and It turned out to be an okay day that allowed for me to hit Lowe's for a few remodeling items, grocery shopping and a quick Mexican dinner. Right upon our return, an old buddy showed up that I hadn't seen in a couple years. The two of them drank a Tequila Sunrise while he and I did some blues jammin on guitar. We all were dancing around and acting a fool in general. Turns out his visit was a God-send. We slept okay, much more that the youthful DG last weekend, no doubt. Her job has her moving to Alaska mid-July, so the "fwb" thing kinda works for both of us right now.

Yesterday my request for 1. 5 hrs to cut my grass today was approved pending further approval, which during further review was turned down by boss-man for the simple reason that I will be having this device removed soon. I told the young girl that is my PO I was going to show her the “logic based equation” that must have been used by her boss to formulate the denial. She laughed, but I was serious. Dr Ochoco, my logic prof in college, would be proud that I am using the skills he taught me for such good.

OKAY, THE INCIDENT: Not wanting to rethink or retype, I sent a PM that described it a couple weeks back. While worded for a different context, it hits the "low" points just fine!

Kerry Kennedy has it all over me! We pick up at the difference between previous sobriety attempts in my past vs what I am doing differently today…

So what’s different? Honestly, it’s one thing that got the ball rolling. I started AA on June 3rd and about 7 weeks in, late July, I received by registered mail the package saying I was being charged with a third DUI. It stemmed from an incident that occurred on April 13th, more than 3 months earlier than the summons date, and at some naive level took me totally by surprise, kinda??

Anyway, I hadn’t been drinking that night. My BAC was 0.00, no alcohol. Plus, I wasn’t doing any illegal drugs when pulled over. I had taken an ambien, just one, as prescribed, and was pulled over while sleep driving. Sounds absurd, but 100% the truth. They have video of me totally messed up and I have just the vaguest of recollection…

They did take blood and it revealed that I took exactly what I said. The problem came when I combined it with 2 benadryl for my springtime allergies. The interaction was bizarre to say the least.

The arresting officer told me that if what I told them I took was true, that he might well be inclined to reduce charges to reckless driving. That being the truth, coupled with the three month time lapse had me thinking it was just a bad experience that once again I would weasel my way out of it.

No such luck…the official summons arrives and I trigger for the first time since my first day in AA. Big time. Keys in hand I head to the door to empty the liquor store. As I get to the door this overwhelming feeling comes over me. I start to cry uncontrollably. I’m at a loss for what to do next. Instinctively I hit my knees for the first time since I was a kid and just surrender to drugs and alcohol and ask for help.

I had been attending AA for 7 weeks at the time…going every day. So I had some basic knowledge of what was happening to me, but still, it was very strange. I had known I was powerless for years. I even had admitted it to myself and others; but it wasn’t till that moment that I really in my heart was asking for help. Yes, at that moment, I came to believe that a power greater than myself could return me to sanity.

After years and years of self-destruction, I finally became ready to give up and ask for help. Somehow, someway, it became clear to me that if I stayed the course things would get better. They have. That led me to accepting my 100% role in this self-destruction.

Yes, I really do accept this fate…100% as being of my causing, even though I may get ticked from time to time. However, this exact thing happened to Kerry Kennedy and she was acquitted. She did claim that she took the ambien by mistake because it looked the same as her Lipitor tab.

I will catch up with all of you and your posts a bit later today. Thanks again for letting me know that you care!!

Enjoy this day, and keep it clean and sober, okay?

Carlos xx