Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 4

Old 04-25-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Fridays always seem to bring the most temptation. Typically busy weekends (almost look forward to the office on Monday as a break from home--hah!) and the prospect of sleeping a little later on Saturday made it seemingly apropos. The weird dreams have already started kicking in (just a 'few' neurochemical adjustments going down) as well as the agitation. Fridays are also one of the days I hit the gym during lunch. Gotta stay focused and engaged and let the 'natural high' be sufficient!
Onward...
Old 04-25-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I'm glad you made it home safely, Normi.

Freein, I love the image of the baton passing from one hemisphere to the other.

Luisalehz, 19 days is great. Fear can be a powerful motivator. I hope all your tests come back good.

Welcome Snaggle, hi Eagle, glad your here ThirdTime.

Soliloquy, I'm sorry the move has been so hard for you. That open warmth and friendliness from the South is really kind of unique to that part of the US, it must be a really hard adjustment. I hope you find a way into your community soon. I'm glad you found this community, people here are very friendly.

Kitten, 14 days is still 2 weeks. You do your teachers proud. I'm from western PA, too. No matter how disinterested I am in football, I'm still glad when the browns lose.

AppleKat, you can get through the weekend, if you falter, come on here, someone will talk you off the ledge. Good luck with your race.

Noolan, you sound stronger all the time, and it's a beautiful thing to see. I think you'll create an incredible future for yourself.

ChickChick, I'm glad you have such good support in your husband, and I hope day 4 goes well. I'm glad you found us.

Mariah, I've heard good things about that book, I'm glad the affirmations are helpful. I hope your son is feeling better.

MrsBee, I hope you have a good visit with your relatives, and I love that you have the social on Sunday. You deserve a 4 week party.

Ccam, the sleep thing does seem to get better for everyone eventually. You'll get through it, and then it will be over. Have a great day 3.

Good morning Solitary and ScrewedUp. I hope to see you change your name to nolongerscrewedup someday.

I hope it's a good Friday for everyone, and that the weekend gets off to a good and healthy start for you all. It's a busy work weekend for me, I need to try to get about 2 weeks of deferred production done, but I really like what I do for work, so no complaints here. Also, it's been 24 days of no opiates for me, and it still feels like a gift to wake up every morning without being in withdrawal.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Oops, I didn't see you there, Libertas. I hope the weekend goes well for you. I think getting through the more tempting days gets easier as you go.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hi all... Am on day 25
Haven't checked in for a few days as was spending time with my hubby while I had him home. Was a nice couple of days together and he left this morning. Feel so sad and alone again. AV was quiet whole time he was here and now just back to buzzing at me like a friggen gnat. Am just feeling so bla and empty with him gone again :-(
Am going to try and keep busy today buried in a book...
Hope everyone is ok.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Mission accomplished, looking forward to a sober weekend. Bring it on!

Storminormi, I don't think we have milk buds either, I honestly thought I was living in a civilized country, but clearly we have some catching up to do! We should invest less in umbrellas and more in tasty treats. This could turn the economy round, I could be a national hero with this suggestion.....

Chickchick, I've gained a lot from the Craig Beck audio book, I'd be really interested to hear what you think of it too.

This is my first alcohol free weekend, and I'm oddly looking forward to it. I'm intending to get some long overdue, half finished tasks done. Some of them are meant to be pleasurable like gardening and sewing, but because alcohol has often stolen my joy, they had turned in to chores. My intention this weekend is to fully engage with my hobbies, and take back my rightful joy.

Hope everyone can think of something to look forward to doing this weekend, if not, maybe try something new?
Old 04-25-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Freein, I'm pretty sure milk buds was a typo, because I've never heard of them and because we do have something called milk duds, and they're awesome.
You have a great attitude for going into your first weekend. If you rediscover your joy in sewing, can I send you some stuff to hem?

AloneandLost, I'm sorry you feel that way, but if you've made it through 25 days already you should have some experience fighting back urges. I know you can keep doing it. Hang in there, and talk to us if you need to.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi Aprilers! Just checking in here on day 15. It's a beautiful sunny, warm day here in the Chi.

I'm excite about my sober plans for today. Going to walk at Botanic Gardens then yoga then bath then tucking myself early with a good book and herbal tea. I'm looking forward o having a drama-free shame-free regret-free weekend!

Wow our class grew so much in last week or so...welcome!!!

Enjoy the day!

Old 04-25-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi friends,

Hope you're enjoying the begining of a beautiful weekend .

I have been doing some soul searching as my "what is my problem I need an answer now!" attitude was I'm sure wearing not only myself out.

Tried a new aa meeting today. It was non smoking but kind of a sad place. I missed my happier, warmer, laid back group.

Maybe I could do this on my own but since I tried that and it never worked before, I'm commited to getting out if my comfort zone and to continue moving forward, whatever that may mean.

It's amazing how consuming this is. But from what I understand, it's like an investment. And I believe for all of us that every hard day of work we are putting in will be worth it today, tomorrow and beyond.

And I've heard that after 30 days the cravings lessen.

That helps!

Y'all are awesome.

❤️
Old 04-25-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Adna, you are absolutely right, s.b. milk duds!
Old 04-25-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Izzy, I think one of the hardest things for addicts and alcoholics to let go of is instant gratification. We're so used to being able to change how we feel at will, that we lose sight of the fact that most things don't happen as quickly. I definitely relate to wanting to have all the answers right now. Patience is hard... I think you're smart to realize that moving forward means doing things differently, and I admire how you're seeking it out. You'll have all of your answers in time, meanwhile you're doing great!

Grateful, your plan for today sounds just about perfect. I hope you enjoy it. I love your weekend intentions.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Adnamaeel View Post
I think one of the hardest things for addicts and alcoholics to let go of is instant gratification.
I like that Adna. I hadn't thought of it that way but it is so true. I am feeling kind of worn down and a little emotional this afternoon so AV is whispering in my ear a little this afternoon. Alcohol would immediately change that feeling, but then I would have to deal with tomorrow.... that instant gratification isn't worth that! So I'll stay strong. I'm hanging to one day at a time this afternoon.

ps. I hope that all makes sense, I really am feeling quite out of it the past hour or so!
Old 04-25-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Adna, you are a sweetheart! I love your posts. Yes, I'm having to learn patience on a whole new level. Lotsa other stuff too .
Old 04-25-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

::big hugz:: all around!
Old 04-25-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi all! Going to head out to my son's little league baseball game tonight and another tomorrow morning; first time i'll be watching the games completely sober and it feels GREAT. Glad to catch up on everyone's posts today. Thanks again for everyone sharing experiences with the group... it has helped me tremendously. I know I'm only on day 3, but I feel much stronger because of you guys.

Good luck to everyone on making this a successful sober weekend!
Old 04-25-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

My busy day got less busy by DH being able to help out with the kids a bit this afternoon, that was a fantastic surprise. And I am so thankful because I think I am going to have to take a nap (can't remember the last time I had one!), I slept like a log last night but I am incredibly tired right now.

Has anyone else been super tired too?
Old 04-25-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

chick chick- I think it's great that you're getting some extra time for rest. I'm only at 15 days but yes, I was extra tired at first. But, started sleeping a lot better too- so that has helped a lot!
Old 04-25-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hey gang,

Been so chaotic today this is the first chance I've had to check in.

Work was really stressful today, I've got a few audits coming up which I need to chair. These would usually be done by someone senior not a recent graduate!

I've had my performance review today also and my manager is so pleased I'm in for a pay rise! It just shows, never give up! I do tend to give my all at work, sometimes to my detriment, but glad I've been given the recognition for it.

Anyway, after an hour at the gym, I'm off to read in bed, been reading a translated book called 'The Dinner' by Herman Koch. Great social commentary if you like that sort of thing, I can't put it down.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Congratulations MrG
Old 04-25-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Happy Friday, all!

Hope everyone's having a great day! It's a solid two weeks for me today I'm so proud of myself, but at the same time, cravings are pretty strong. The main thing that's saving me right now is the fact that I have to get up at 5:30am tomorrow. I wish I had a nobler reason, like "I'm too good to poison myself anymore!" but that pride isn't there yet. I know that any reason not to drink is a good one, it just scares me what I might have decided to do if I had no plans tomorrow.

I'm not someone who really needs to find out why they drink too much, what happened in their past to foster the problem. I am 100% sure that I'm an alcoholic, and there's no little voice tempting me with the illusion that I can moderate. I know that if I had decided to drink tonight, I would've had the first drink with the intention of it being a it full-on, insane binge, with an equally insane hangover tomorrow, if I made it through.

The "why" that I really want to know is why I would decide to do that? Why would I select the most horrible and toxic way to spend a Friday night? I could see if I thought I could moderate, had one, and oops it turned into ten. But this feels different - this is an incredible urge to purposefully self-destruct. I'm not depressed and I love my life (except this part, of course). It really just seems like the most bizarre, illogical thing.

I'm sure the short answer is "because I'm an alcoholic" and I need to accept that. Working on it.

This post ended up being a bit more somber than I intended when I began. I really am happy to be here, and grateful that I am sober right now, whatever the reason. You are all in my thoughts, and I wish you a happy and sober weekend.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Dancing Diva!

I'm on 6 days today, it's nearly 3am here and I am at an online meeting instead of drunk.

Serious stuff...

Hello, all.

xxx