Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 2

Old 04-13-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Welcome back , Laura
Old 04-13-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hey classmates! just wanted to check in and let you guys know I'm still alive and (mostly) well! :-) I've had a pretty consistent pattern this month... Went 3 days then drank, then 4 days then drank, then another 4 days and decided last night to have a glass which turned into 3 glasses. The pros: I have certainly had way more sober days then drinking days this month! The cons : I've still had drinking days. I've tried to read some of ya'lls posts to catch up on your progress but im traveling with only access on my phone so I'll be catching up with everything when I get back home in a week. I know some of you are struggling, but as long as you're still here, you're making progress. I ordered a beginners package to a recovery program that I was recommended and it should be on my doorstep when I get home! I am certainly going to bust that right open and put my best foot forward! until then I am just doing one day at a time And I will not be drinking today! Have a good Sunday!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi Laura and Pinot. Welcome back.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Day two, and feeling ok about it. What's starting to really scare me is the fact that the past few times I've drank, I tell myself "this will really be the last time, so better make it worthwhile" and overdo it way more than I would have (and my "normal" was already overdoing it). These "farewell" binges could literally kill me.

I've made arrangements to not be alone for the next two weekends. I don't know why I feel completely ok telling others I'm not drinking, but can't handle being alone. It doesn't really matter why, I guess, that's just how it is and I'm accepting that.

We all need to remember why we're here at SR. The fact that we come back right away means we want this, we just have to understand - since we know we'll come back, there's no point in leaving in the first place. Does that make sense?
Old 04-13-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you pinotnomore! I was just thinking of you and hoping all is well. Welcome back!

Welcome back Laura!

We can do this-one day at a time.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi DancingDiva. I'm on Day 1 and I can't handle being alone either. Was just thinking what plans I can make for the weekend. I have numerous Day 1s, and you have a point, why leave in the first place if you return anyway. I am going to try not to leave this time.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DancingDiva View Post
Day two, and feeling ok about it. What's starting to really scare me is the fact that the past few times I've drank, I tell myself "this will really be the last time, so better make it worthwhile" and overdo it way more than I would have (and my "normal" was already overdoing it). These "farewell" binges could literally kill me.

I've made arrangements to not be alone for the next two weekends. I don't know why I feel completely ok telling others I'm not drinking, but can't handle being alone. It doesn't really matter why, I guess, that's just how it is and I'm accepting that.

We all need to remember why we're here at SR. The fact that we come back right away means we want this, we just have to understand - since we know we'll come back, there's no point in leaving in the first place. Does that make sense?
Thanks DancingDiva, I can relate all too well. I too thought to myself that I was going to quit next day so might as well go out so I have no regrets. I blacked out and don't even remember drinking the last few.

I think it is important to just move forward and know that there needs to be something different this time. We do genuinely want sobriety. I'm going to stay close to SR, especially this April class and the 24 hour thread. It helps to set my daily intentions. Next time I even consider drinking I'm going to reread all my past posts and tell on myself in the newcomers thread and here until someone talks some sense into me.

Be well!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back everyone who's rejoining - don;t be afraid to try different things guys...

do you need more support, or to make better use of the support you hove? do you need to make more changes to your life?

Congratulations to everyone hitting a milestone today too

a new week!

D

Last edited by Dee74; 04-13-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi everybody. Just got back from dinner out with a dear friend at our fave restaurant. Country fried tofu, pickled greens and boiled okra. I'm in heaven. On the way back, I noticed that great big full moon. Made me say, "Oh, THAT'S it." I dunno if there's anything to it or not, but seems to me things tend to get a little crazier for everybody around full moon time. Neither here nor there, really, just kinda interesting to me.

Glad to see everyone posting and staying or getting back on track. I love "Little Bee," Adna, and thanks for that beautiful quote. How appropriate it is for this struggle we are all here sharing in!

As predicted, I was pretty much a slug all day. Took two naps. But I feel better now and ready to hit the ground running (literally) in the morning before I go to my volunteer gig. There's a chance this one will turn into a paying job, which would be the coolest thing ever - getting paid to do something I love. At any rate, it's nice to have someplace to go and feel like I'm contributing to something important while I continue to seek a source of income that will pay the bills.

Peace, everyone. Later.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Welcome back Laura and Pinot! I'm in the same boat- stringing together some sober days, but then slipping back into past behaviors and modes of thinking. I'm not exactly sure what I can do differently at this point... Im back on day 2 for the hundredth time it seems.

I have a big week at work- starting a new part-time job in addition to my other jobs- so the idea is to wake up early work hard and come home straight to a warm bed and a good book. Hopefully I can gain some traction before the weekend rolls around again!

Have a great day/night everyone!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I just read through all of this weekends post and I want to say that I really admire the courage it took for those of you who slipped up to come share with the rest of us what happened. It takes a lot of courage to do that, and your courage just proves how much sobriety is what you really want, IMO. I also appreciate it because I think it can help me avoid the same pitfalls. It was a warm beautiful weekend in MA and the opportunity/desire to drink was heavy. I didn't cave though, and I'm feeling good about that! I so easily could have. I think this weekend is the first time I sat at a fire pit and didn't have a beer in my hand. At least my seltzer water was bubbly!

Much love to all of you! I thought of SR often the past 2 days and it helped to know that there were other people struggling through the exact same thing as me. There's safety in numbers!

Good night!
Old 04-13-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Dang = Damn=Dang

Surf , ...congrats on the new part time ! I've got a good feeling things will be different next weekend. !!
keep the faith , brother

Grateful , ....glad you're feeling optimistic about your sobriety, ,....and breaking that devastating cycle , ...of feeling bad, ,, then more drinking, .more bad , more ..etc

I recognized a developing pattern where; ,,,,,, I'd start "creating" a sort of blue frame of mind an hour or two before I drank. Some days something might not go exactly right, ,,... that'd be good enough for starters. Some days everything was ok , ... I'd go huntin' for something from the past ,.

Gosh , when I think of it , they could've been in categories,
,,,, Like , "what could've been category" ,, or the "someone done me wrong category" or , the never-fail-to-make-me-blue, " dying from a broken heart" category . .

Or my favorite , ... "things are going great category" ....or , "how did I not get caught, whew , that was lucky "
The lists goes on ad infinitum

;,,,,,In retrospect, my addiction had me so confused, it seemed only natural to use alcohol as a "remedy" so to speak. Another biggie was "social injustice" ,,.

....Growing up in the Deep South, and there was general animosity towards ' Yankees" .... I was too young to even know I was a Southerner, (yet ) ....since I was born in the UP of Mich, I thought I was a yankee for sure !?! lo
.... then later , the Jim Crow South, ...all I can say , I'd have to drink a tanker full, for ,...

,,....now , the new racism might be classism. (round here , anyway !?! )
Good enough excuse for me to drink anyway , whether it is , or isn't !? , Plenty , more than plenty;, ... guk ,guk ,gukkety guk . crazy

Of course, drinking never actually helped one dang thing. More like a bumpy road to hell, with good intentions , and all that.

Kittenme, I'm glad you're getting some good sleep ! ( the insomnia thing is brutal ) Enough sleep , uhm , That's a BIG one for me , along with enough water, and vital activity , ie brisk walking , just any dang thing to get some fresh air ,,, trying to make some progress , ,.

Pinot , you've got to tell us about your new program , once ya get started ? Exciting .

Mariah , , you don't have to answer , but what was it Fri, that got you going ?.

Miss Amanda, ... So what did you finally get to eat this am when the stores finally opened !?,... pancakes .. ( somehow , I'm thinking that's a bad guess )

DD , . " farewell binges " .... I'm so, so ..oo glad you can see how dangerous that is. If not being alone , and , or , anything you can do helps ....we all support you. You can always throw it out there on the Newcomers Section on a Friday Night , .... you might be "alone " , but ( and I'm not trying to be a wise ass ) ...you'll probably be busy typing , ', so you won't feel alone for long !

Laura, I'm glad you're back too.

Ms Okra, ....how I hope that thing turns into a paying job , ...
....keeping fingers crossed for ya.
Oh , and I'm glad you're breaking in those new , what ? ..aqua and neon green kicks in the am , ...

Tonight I saw my back tire was flat on the offroad, I mean , loose on the rim , flat, flat., so I feel lucky to have ridden it home losing air the other night,.... I knew I wasn;t in that kind of bad shape.

New week y'all. ,,, hopefully we hear from Chasing later, and our lyrical LP, in Melbourne , ,,,,.. "feeling ticketyboo."
I want some of that !!

TDK , Marcellina, Mrs Bee, Bloss , Mainza , and Saywhen;;,... and anyone else here

Here we go , ..... brand new week !?!!
what do they always say in meetin's ,? ; ... oh yea, progress , not perfection
Old 04-13-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hey all. Checking in. Made it through the weekend. 13 days. Woohoo! Saturday was really tough. Weather was great and for some reason that triggers me to want a drink. Luckily I got myself busy. I went later that night and played pool with a friend. There was no temptation to drink because I had committed to being a designated driver. What was odd is how stupid and uncomfortable the bar was when your sober come near closing. A few weeks ago I would have been right in there with them. Thinking I was holding my liquor just fine. Lol. Now I know different.

Congrats to those that made it through. For the folks who didn't, congrats for still being here. I've started over hundreds of times. Fact is I started not feeling good. Scared me. If not for that, I probably wouldn't have made it through the weekend either.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

BriBoy ,

I'll bet that was kind of different , .
....used to work at a dive with a few tables , and when we turned the overheads on at 2:00, ...it looked different alright , ..like really dirtier than you'd think !

.... Hope you won a few .
Old 04-13-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Briboy-congrats on 13 days!
Old 04-13-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Congrats BriBoy! I also find sun and good weather a huge trigger, maybe because where I live summer is short and as soon as the sun shows people gather at outside bars. I really need to realize coffee is good too :-)
Old 04-14-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

topspin, I've found myself doing the same thing you described - inventing hurts for alcohol to soothe away. These human brains are weird organs for sure.

Day 4. Not much luck on sleep, but being tired is better than being hung-over.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Ugh what year and month is it? I'm in this month.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back JimJim

do everything you can to make this your month, man.

D
Old 04-14-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Welcome JimJim! I think that we were in a class together in the past....??? Let's make this one the last!

I'm finishing up day 2 at the moment and am feeling decent- didn't sleep well last night, but I've come to expect that this early on. Am in bed now to try and get a good nights sleep before a monster work day. In the past I would have been dreading the day with even a slight hangover, but I'm (almost) looking forward to it at this point.

Be well everyone!