Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 2

Old 04-17-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

You're good, Solitary.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

ST, it sounds like you're having a rough day. Take care of yourself right after work, but not by drinking. AA meeting, long walk, the hot bath suggestion was good, deep breathing are all things that could soothe and distract.

I am making it through day 3! Came straight home after work, too tired to workout yet, hopefully tomorrow. It's 6:22pm here and I am in for the night. Tomorrow will be a challenge.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Ok cause I'm a tad crazy also, I don't just log on this site and post, I used the app and my email and relinked it a certain way, so I have you guys on my iPhone, iPad, kindle fire, laptop, and if i was in an emergency actually my Nintendo 3ds AND any time you guys write something or I get a private message, I get a text message and set a special notice and tone just for you guys. You don't understand how much this all means to me and how seriously I'm taking this, in just a week so much has changed and I read and heard so much that I think I might just be overwhelmed a bit, and working at the bar last night was the tipping point. I'm just naturally a very talkative person and intense, and it's something I hated about myself for so long and still kinda do, cause most people get like uncomfortable with it or like "woahhhh" so like I hold everything back and try to turn it off. But I can't 8/. I have to accept this crazy intense person that I am. I'm so sorry
Old 04-17-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Another suggestion I remember reading on the March 14 group page when I was lurking before I joined SR is to try posting a new thread on the Newcomers' Board. The idea is that 1 - you'll get more eyes on your post and 2 - you'll get responses from people with lots of sobriety. Most of us who post on this thread are still very new to this game and are struggling with the same problems without having lots of answers. People with more experience are likely to be able to provide a wider range of suggestions.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Yay on day 3, lilac! Hope you get good sleep tonight and will be pulling for you deal with whatever tomorrow sends your way.
  # 486 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovemesomeokra View Post
Another suggestion I remember reading on the March 14 group page when I was lurking before I joined SR is to try posting a new thread on the Newcomers' Board. The idea is that 1 - you'll get more eyes on your post and 2 - you'll get responses from people with lots of sobriety. Most of us who post on this thread are still very new to this game and are struggling with the same problems without having lots of answers. People with more experience are likely to be able to provide a wider range of suggestions.
That makes a lot of sense, I will do that as well. I'm new too and all the hell over the place unfortunately, I'm sorry
  # 487 (permalink)  

ST......'annoying' is not the expression i'd use regarding your posts. Yes,you are posting a lot, but hell, if that helps you then why not.

The thing is though, it doesn't seem to really be helping you that much at the moment, please forgive me if i'm wrong, this is just my interpretation. I'm not sure how much you are taking on board the advice from others in response to your posts. You sound so incredibly wound up, it must be exhausting. I know it is always said, if at all you feel like you want to drink, come here first, read and post. This is what you have done and it's great that no matter how much you want to, you haven't gone to the bottle shop to buy that 12 pack.

Have you read through other links on SR, I know Dee always refers to 'urge surfing' and AVRT - Dee can help you with the links - i've never fully explored them but I know many members here have spoken very highly of these methods.

I've just started a free online meditation course which so far i'm really enjoying - i've never done meditation in my life and have doubted i'd be able to concentrate or focus long enough to do it.......but i'm slowly learning.

It started a few days ago but is accessible for five days from the start date,
here's the link:

https://chopracentermeditation.com/?...ampaign=day-01

I hope you start to feel better soon ST.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Good Job Lilac! I hope tonight's been easier than the last....It's hard waiting for someone to come home from drinking...I've found distraction is the best way to deal with it...like you did cooking and what not. Well done on your success
Old 04-17-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

I am wound up and I can't calm down whatsoever, I am in the wrong place....I'm gonna stop
Old 04-17-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know Dee always refers to 'urge surfing' and AVRT - Dee can help you with the links - i've never fully explored them but I know many members here have spoken very highly of these methods.
Just to clarify: I can personally recommend Urge Surfing but I really have no detailed knowledge of AVRT

Urge surfing can be good for calming down too - try and visualise what it is that's got you wound up ST...try and look at it dispassionately...then you can try to surf over it...look at the link for more detailed analysis

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
D
Old 04-17-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

I clearly need more help then a message board, I can see that
Old 04-17-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Lifet, thanks for reminding me about that online class. I signed up for it last week and totally forgot.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Thanx for posting the link Dee, sorry bout the automatic AVRT association.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

You're welcome Okra
Old 04-17-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

ST,I see from your post you also work in a bar?
I'm sorry you're struggling right now, but I'm glad you're here...You're doing the right thing.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by SolitaryThinker View Post
I clearly need more help then a message board, I can see that
well, we can't 'fix' you here, ST...but we can listen & make suggestions

D
Old 04-17-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

For those new to the thread, we close threads at around 500 posts - saves things getting too unweildy.

Time for a new thread guys...join us here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

D