Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 2

Old 04-16-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4Surf4Life View Post
Morning of day 5 here. Planning to either swim or surf between lessons today, followed by some yoga and a healthy dinner in the evening.!
you're killing me, ....just kidding

I'm too wimpy for the surf right now , but then I remembered; ,,,,"Surf's a W Coast guy" , ....he probably handles cold water like a Canadian .
Old 04-16-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Off to sleep here, have a great sober night all
Old 04-16-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Welcome Izzy, Alone, and Stormi!!!

Just got home from work so need to catch up on all the recent posts. I agree the energy level is up here in the April 14 class!!! I like it! Definitely feel the strength and optimism...lets keep the good vibes going.

On way home from work I had that fleeting thought about buying a bottle of wine. I take the train to and from Chicago and there are many places to buy alcohol at the train station. I am so happy because I recognized it as my AV and knew it was trying to get me into all kinds of trouble so I quickly squashed it. Then it was interesting because once the decision not to buy any bottles or drink was firm, then as I walked by the wine bottles they looked like bottles of poison and I even thought "ewww why would I want to drink that gross bitter poison that is going to dehydrate me and make me sad???" That is another huge leap for me. Usually I would buy it and rationalize or white knuckle it and not buy it but still want it so badly then obsess about it for hours!

It helps so much to read the posts here...the link to the AVRT explanation was very helpful for me today Topspin...thank you thank you thank you...

So grateful to be sober right now. Did some yard work and cooking yummy dinner of roasted cauliflower and spaghetti bolognese.

Thanks all, be well!

Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
I was tearing into the sweets pretty big early on , .... Stormi, there' is a ton of support down in the Healthy eating thread : http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-10-a.html That group is fun , and incredibly helpful. Whatever you're eating is better than drinking in these early days !! Congrats on getting thru the craving !!
Omg still am, and Easter is around the corner! I balance out with salads and whatnot, I don't drink sodas either so I think I'm ok to go a little crazy with it
Old 04-16-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Congrats to everyone new that is doing well today!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Me too Stormi- lotsa shopping. ST- I feel a lot like that too. For me, it has been so good for me just to hear understanding and kindness. I have felt more understood on this site than I have in a long time. I do have a question for anyone more down the road than me: do relationships/ your social crowd change once you begin recovery and join up w something like aa? I don't plan on announcing anything to the world but I'm pretty private and bc of my position/ roles... I'm just wondering how that all plays out. Does that make sense? I may post that question on my other thread too. This is so hard!!! But day 7! I made it!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hey there, neighbors! (I guess I'm just going to keep on with the random TV references)

Day 5 is going well...it might be my third day five in as many weeks, but I feel better than the last day five, which was better than the one before that. So, I'm happy about it

Y'all realize April is half over? Jeez Louise. It has flown by!

Ok, gotta run - meeting a friend to work on the rap song we're writing. Don't laugh! Ok, you can laugh, it's pretty ridiculous, lol.

Keep on keepin' on!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! I haven't checked on this thread in a while... I am on day 16 and my first sober vacation. It's been awesome. I hope everyone here is doing well? I have to ask...what does AV stand for? It's so nice to hear everyone's stories...I've been having similar temptations and circumstances...
SolitaryThinker and topsin... I too and chowin down this vaca haha but it's been nutritious stuff and like you said...we are already way ahead of the game by not drinking...
XOXO everyone
stay strong and focused
Old 04-16-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Topspin, I would think someone who grew up on the UP would handle cold at least as well as the average Canadian. It sure is a world away from SC.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

I the 'average' Canadian that runs to the desert the minute winter storm clouds roll in; not to return until reports are sent south that the trees are beginning to bud out.
Thanks for the health link! I will check that out, Topspin.
For now, I am indulging in Dove chocolates and not feeling one bit guilty
Old 04-16-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
you're killing me, ....just kidding

I'm too wimpy for the surf right now , but then I remembered; ,,,,"Surf's a W Coast guy" , ....he probably handles cold water like a Canadian .
I used to be pretty strong against the cold, but have definitely gone a bit soft since moving to Japan. I'll be in boardshorts for nearly half of the year starting mid-May!! Love the freedom of surfing without a wetsuit! Unfortunately waves are a bit small today, so will have to settle for a swim...
Old 04-16-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I was gonna do a long, eloquent, deeply meaningful post but reading through y'alls made me too hungry!

Seriously, happy to see so much action here today. Stay well, y'all.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StormiNormi View Post
I have made it sober so far, but it is getting harder with each day. I had a nap today when my husband went out, almost asked him to put me in a straight jacket first, though. JK. my cravings lessened after I ate. I am totally familiar with HALT, but at this rate, all the money I am saving will go into a new wardrobe...
Hang in <3
Old 04-16-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DancingDiva View Post
Hey there, neighbors! (I guess I'm just going to keep on with the random TV references)!

You sound good DD,

....have fun with your writing project,. ;.....great !!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Welcome Izzy, Overwhelmd, Alone, and Stormi!

Wow, it was busy in here today. I'm SO glad everyone is doing well! And thank you for the birthday messages! I had a good day. I made it through my birthday without having a drink. I had a craving when I got home from work because some family stopped by to say hello and everyone else had a drink, but I stayed strong. I've now been in a few situations now where I would normally have had 3-4 drinks. Each time it gets easier to not drink and I'm really liking that. I feel much more in control of my emotions and more rational without alcohol in my system! Thinking of all of you going through the same struggle makes it easier to make the right choice as well, so thank you all for that!

Have a good night!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Adnamaeel View Post
Topspin, I would think someone who grew up on the UP would handle cold at least as well as the average Canadian. It sure is a world away from SC.
Oh , no I'm no Yooper,
I ended up in Savannah Ga, at four , .....my earliest memories are of snowy days in Toledo Oh .

I love the UP summers though. Yoopers play in the surf down here on Thanksgiving Day.

heavy , heavy Finnish pop. up there ,. ...hearty bunch !?!!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Had another false start in sobriety last week, but I got back on the wagon. Day 2. It was really tough after work because I came home and my husband wasn't here. He had gone to the bar for drinks. Normally, I would want to sneak some vodka in and sit around drinking and watching tv (control of remote is a rarity for me). It was hairy. I thought of my high blood pressure reading earlier today. I did deep breathing. I reminded myself that I'm an alcoholic who can't drink. I occupied myself cooking dinner and lunch for tomorrow. He's still at the bar. But it's ok, because I know that I won't cave tonight. Deep sigh of relief.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SayWhen View Post
I've now been in a few situations now where I would normally have had 3-4 drinks. Each time it gets easier to not drink and I'm really liking that. I feel much more in control of my emotions and more rational without alcohol in my system! Thinking of all of you going through the same struggle makes it easier to make the right choice as well, so thank you all for that!
!
Happy Birthday SayWhen,

Good job flexing them "sober" muscles.
Glad you're feeling stronger ,...... it shows
Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Lilac

D
Old 04-16-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

That's terrific, Lilac, way to get through!