Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 30

Old 04-11-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Welcome Tiger Lilly!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies,

Hey there TL, welcome to the Undies. Congrats on the 90 days clean and sober!

Toots, hope that you are feeling better this morning. Having read your last limerick it appears that things might be hitting a fevered pitch.

BF, hope that you are feeling a bit better today also. So happy that you have returned to posting with regularity again.

Babs, congrats on making it through another day. I know for me each time I quit it got harder and harder. I came to believe that it was the progressive nature of my disease. I always picked up in a relapse right where I left off and blew right past that point very quickly.

Tanja, I hope you are getting better, too. Your words of encouragement and wisdom are missed! Miss You!

DG, how are you feeling post breakup now that some time has elapsed?

ACB, thanks for that perspective on the approaching Spring. I need to broaden this shallow view that I have of just the impending return of bugs and smell of freshly cut golf course grass.

Courage, is hubby coming home soon? What is happening in the Big Apple?

Drake, how goes this post one year of sobriety? Feel any different?

Some of you might remember that I had an encounter with an old-timer about a month ago that had me a bit pissed to say the least. I only see him at this Thursday meetings since we both travel quite a distance from opposite directions to attend this rather unique non AA sanctioned mtg that includes a Pastor's biblical perspective on our current step study.

We ended up sitting next to each other and had a wonderful conversation on emotional sobriety pre meeting. I am sooo glad that I hadn't snapped out when he made some wrong assumptions earlier. He is a good dude and I have much that I can learn from him.

As for the meeting. We talked about a passage where if you shed a demon it must be replaced by good or it will return to that open spot in you 7 fold. Many talked about filling their hole with a higher power or the fellowship as a whole. As I look back, for me, when I would just quit drinking and do nothing to fill the void, when it returned (ie: relapse) the consequences became more and more severe (easily 7 fold). Freaky-deaky, but true for me!

Have a great start to a spectacular weekend, Undies. Keep it clean and sober, okay?

Carlos xx
Old 04-11-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies,

Boozefree - I am so glad that you are back and posting. Dee's advice is spot on. I could certainly understand the concept of doing things differently, but found it difficult to implement in early sobriety. My alcoholic brain wasn't used to doing things and the default was always alcohol. Sobriety had to be my first priority. I simply couldn't do it on my own and joined AA. Changing people, places and things that may trigger me was essential. What were you doing differently when you reached 6 months of sobriety? When you are feeling better you might want to really think about and come up with a plan of action on ways to support your recovery. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Courage - The antibiotics finally seem to be kicking in. Fortunately they didn't upset my stomach. I was feeling so unwell I was unable to attend meetings for about 10 days. Frankly, it added to my feelings of depression. I hope you have a better day today and thank you so much for your concern.

Carlos - Thank you so much for your well wishes! What exciting news that you have a date on Saturday. I suspect that you have a great date! I too felt that my alcoholism was a life and death issue. I drank for so long and I knew if I continued on that path it would kill me. I did finally get to a meeting last night. It was celebrating 53 years of my homegroup. Unfortunately, when the question was asked "Does anyone have any announcements for the good of AA?" A woman spoke up and mentioned the death due to this disease after 25 years of attending AA. Apparently, it was a suicide. Dulcie relapsed on pills after long term sobriety. Everybody had given up on her, including her husband. Such a sad story and an incredible reminder that this disease never rests.

DP - Kudos to you on dealing with difficult people in such a mature fashion. I just loved the line about your boss and your recognition that it isn't you, but her baggage. Changing the way we think is so essential to our sobriety and just living a more contented and peaceful life.

Toots - Great advice as always. Believing in oneself and having hope is one of the best tools we can use in sobriety. Being part of a support group and seeing how others have overcome adversies far greater than mine, affirmations, prayer, journaling and reading helped me so much in early sobriety. I concur with everyone that you are such an incredible inspiration to us all.

Welcome TigerLili! Congratulations on 3 months of sobriety For me, I think the first 90 days were the hardest. Getting over that 3 month hump gave me greater confidence and hope that sobriety was possible.

My plans for the day are to hit the 5:30 meeting. There will be a celebration for Maggie who will be picking up a 2 year chip. I am really looking forward to it.

Wishing everyone a happy TGIF!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
p***enger

Welcome, Tigerlili -- I've seen your posts around SR. I've found this is a great thread to kind of "up" your daily support. You'll get to know everyone soon
Old 04-11-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Welcome TL and congratulations on 3 months, like Tanja, I felt like I could possibly 'do it this time' once I reached that point. I still hadn't reached my personal best, but that was 20 odd years earlier, and I don't believe alcohol had such a hold on me at that point. ( especially considering I just 'stopped'drinking so as I could quit cigs!)

Thank you Gilmer, I am not a saint, and totally thrive on hearing someone thinks well of me! Personally I think I'm selfish, being here, offering support, is continually building up my self esteem and my need to believe I am making a difference to someone's life. I don't feel it is a Codie issue, but meh, don't really give a gosh darn if it is. All I know is that this last year I have felt that by being a sober me I have done something drunk me never could; be there when someone reached out.
Tanja my heart went out to that woman who relapsed. I can see all the normies in her life thinking ' how could you, how stupid, you just need to stop' and not really understanding the depths of her dispair at finding herself back in the clutches of her demons.
I am so glad you are beginning to feel stronger.
Carlos, I get the meaning of the passage, if we stop drinking we need to give every part of us that relied on it, something else to rely on, physically, psychologically, emotionally, chemically and mentally. I know in my early months of healing it was all I could do just to not drink, other than stick close here and develop the friendships I have. I am so glad you & the old timer talked.
Courage, I am so with you on Dotties post! We need always to remember; what someone says tells you more about them, than about you. We all have baggage, but we are so busy feeling defensive of our own we forget that of others.
Well done Dottie, I bet you felt lighter after that! Like your bouncy spring lamb!!

Babs, BeFree I hope you are both having better days today, and putting plans in order for the weekend?

As you can tell I am on the mend ( it was all those imaginary hunks Carlos!)

Cowboy, have you managed to figure us all out yet? If so you have a career as a psychologist ahead of you!!

GF, how are things with you?

Dax, how are you doing? A wee heads up would be good.

No update from Grace as yet.

MB, how's life with you sweetie?

DG, how do you feel now the dust is starting to settle? Let's see, you have control of the remote, you have removed all the stinking ashtrays from the house, you are spring cleaning and thinking of a fresh coat of paint everywhere, the radio is tuned to your station and your drumset is still vibrating from your last paradiddle?? Am I close? I sure do hope so x

Happy Friday my lovely Undies. Xx
Old 04-11-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

You're pretty close Toots. Except I've been so busy with that paint brush I haven't had time to pick up the drum sticks!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

just a short stop to say HI Undies and hello nice to have you aboard TL. This is a great bunch and they have shaped me up a couple of times so stay close.
Hugs to all of you.

Babs
Old 04-11-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Well, the grades are in and I got a 95.8 in my Orientation Seminar. That's an A-. An A would have been 96.5. I'm not sweating it--I'm satisfied. A 4.0 would have been cool, but I never thought it was realistic. There will be much harder courses than this coming up!

But I am hearing a voice (not from my imagination--a literal voice!) saying, "You shouldn't have rushed! You should have studied harder for those quizzes!" Kiss my fat butt!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Gilmer an A- is great! I'd be stoked if it were me!

Welcome TL and congrats on hittin the 3 month mark.

Tanja I agree a plan and changes are a must. I haven't gotten quit that far yet with as sick as I am sleeping and some tv have been my schedule this week.

Toots not too much this weekend except for more rest and then brides maid dress fittin Sunday. Moms getting married in a few months. How's your throat feeling?

Carlos great post. The whole replacing demon with a good thing is def what I need to be doing.

Well another day at home. I haven't been this sick in a long time. This is one nasty cold. I have tons of Gatorade and soup tho. Started watching some tv show called bates motel on Netflix.

So grateful to have another chance at sobriety. Even if I fee like total crap right now.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Actually, if I had gotten one more quiz question right, it would have been an "A." This is good for me (and the naysayer)--we won't become puffed up with pride.

If I recall correctly, it seems to me that certain naysayers got a "D" in their own college majors.....

I'm just venting. I don't expect any comment or commiseration. Just venting! The naysayer is outrageous, I know, but I'm secure in my own performance. I study because I love it. I'm happy as long as I've done my best.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're still feeling sick, BF.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

YAAAAA WHOOOOOO GILMER----way to go.

YIPPEEEEE SKIPPPPPY-----yes !!!!!!!

Babs
Old 04-11-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
But I am hearing a voice (not from my imagination--a literal voice!) saying, "You shouldn't have rushed! You should have studied harder for those quizzes!" Kiss my fat butt!
lmaolmao

haha, thanks for the laugh, Gilmer.

BF, hope you feel better soon. Very positive post, too!!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

BeFree feel better quickly my dear, that we dog of yours needs a good long walk this weekend. I take it your mum isn't dressing you in peach crimpolene frills then!! I have this vision of you looking demure but wearing doc martens under your frock!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Dang! I lost this thread there for a few days. Hope all is well for you all. I just got home from a trip to California and now I have a rotten cold. Oh well, it's all good with me except I sneeze and blow my nose a lot. And I have a cough......Love to you all!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Glad you're back! Did you find a house in CA?
Old 04-11-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

Feel better everyone who's sick

D
Old 04-11-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee--I'm trying. Still no luck!
Old 04-11-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi EW, I sent you a get well limerick.

No offence BF, but Toots vision of you is exactly how I pictured her last night during her recovery. I may have even dreamed it.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

No house. I think moving might be a harder than I thought. I need some land and the water problems are rather severe right now. We mostly just toured around getting a feel for different areas.