Notices

Class Of March 2014 Part 8

Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Hugs, Toddle.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Thank you Kimsfriend, I dont think people realise how hard we are trying because its so easy for them, when the drink kicks in I wont post, nothing worse than a rambling idiotic chain of thoughts lubricated by drink, tbh hasnt done a thing
Old 04-11-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

I am so excited to see my boys this weekend. I'm sober and I'm proud of it I really let them down the last few times I've been with them
Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Hi peeps.

I am just saying hello to my favorite people ever!

Theres a lot of amazing things going on in my life right now. I havent even had time to think about drinking. I am completely 100 percent sober and just loving all the amazing sleep I am getting. I am having the weirdest dreams though.

I am getting a promotion at my job so I am off to take the test in an hour.
I miss you all but I hope to be around this weekend.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KimsFriend View Post
I had a stressful issue that occurred at work. It was something that made me so angry and my first response was to fly down the hallway and barge into the office of the person who did me wrong and cut him down verbally. But when I got to his office, I saw his little girl sitting there (he had brought her to work yesterday) and it stopped me in my tracks and I turned around and went back to my office.
I went to a meeting last night, and then read some from the BB - I tried to find as much writing regarding anger as I could.
According to the BB- anger and resentment is the number one enemy for the alcoholic. And boy could I relate to that - I felt that anger boil up inside me and every few minutes a picture of a dirty martini would flash in my head. I followed the instruction in the book (involves prayer) and went to bed. I woke up in the middle of the night still angry. I came up with all sorts of conversation in my head about what I would say to this person.
When I woke this morning, I was still angry - a little calmer, but still consumed with thoughts about this situation. My anger spilled over to my family - I snapped at my husband and did not show as much patience with my 2 year old as I should have. Because of the work I am doing for my sobriety, I was able to see that these things are related - I have let the anger and resentment poison me.
So I prayed some more.
On my way into work, I started dialing numbers that I have collected at AA meetings. I tried my sponsor first, then another woman that I had spoken to once before. Neither answered. So I called a woman that I had never spoken to before but who's number was on the list. I was desperate - I knew I needed guidance on how to handle this situation, and I needed it before I stepped foot in my office.
She answered and stayed on the phone with me my entire commute. She spoke with wisdom of a sober person and by the time I pulled into the parking lot, I felt so much better. She said something that really stuck with me "if you let this go and handle this with grace and peace, you will be amazed at what may come of that, the changes that you will feel and show".

So I am trying. I have spoken about the situation to my boss, trying to keep the anger out.
But most importantly, trying to stay sober today. I will stay sober today.
Thank you so much for talking about anger.

I have not acted gracefully in the past couple of days. Thank goodness I haven't experienced any of this at work, but I really admire your ability to face the issue and handle it with a seemingly cool head.

This morning began with those family thoughts and cascaded into taxes and health insurance! What fun. I only got a smidgen of work done. decided to get home asap, draw the curtains, and get back in my pajamas.

Imagine, all of us stateside decide to quit drinking during tax season. It has been stressful. But honestly I wouldn't have gotten anything done if I hadn't
Old 04-11-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Hi Toddle! I am sending you a hug for when you get back.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

The hug is for now too, Toddle
Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Hi
jade!

Good to hear you're doing well!

Ok my pajamas are back and the curtains are drawn. It's just me, my husband is away for the weekend. I had an invitation to join some friends for happy hour. Oh boy! Well we'll see, but I'm just glad they're still calling me.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Jammies. Sounds good. I was going to do taxes but I have a sinus headache. Waiting for the pills to kick in and doing mindless stuff instead.

Toddle, I have extra hugs as well. We get it. Keep posting.

Hi, Jade! Congrats on the promotion!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

oh, and yay, MrFixit that you get to see your boys.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Wow, I have a lot of reading to catch up on! Real life interfering with reading up on SR! Grrrrr.. I kid.

I just want to give a quick hello before I get back to reading everyone's posts. I really love coming to this thread. So many supportive, caring people. It's not that I haven't had people in my life that care(d) about me but it seems there is a special breed of folks that one can depend on in your darkest hours and they will hold you up, not judge and give you words of encouragement. I'm in the library trying not to cry but you guys are really special to me and I'm thankful that my path has crossed yours.

I really hope that if any of you ever need some one to chat with and you see me around, you won't hesitate to ask.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you Jade! We missed you!!!

Congrats on the promotion girl!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

About to do something slightly brazen... I'm going to take my friends up on their invitation. I'm feeling strong all of a sudden. And I'm going to give myself an hour. I'm going to put on some makeup and be social for once! This is my first time in a long time...
have a NA drink planned to order at the bar
Old 04-11-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Wow it has been a busy day for us Marchers!!

Toddle, huge hugs from me now and whenever you come back to read this!

Jade, nice to see you and congratulations on the promotion and being sober of course!!

MrFixit, seeing your boys sounds so beautiful you will have the best time. I know what you mean about being proud, you deserve to feel that way, we all do!

Ilya, glad your friends are in touch. Just be honest with yourself if you are ready for happy hour. I know I have days I feel very strong and it would be just fine, and other days I wouldn’t want to be around that kind of scene. [...while I was typing this I see you decided to go out and be social. Good for you for having a plan with the NA drink etc.! Sending SR power your way !!!! Woo-hoo!!! Have fun!...]

Kimsfriend I am so glad you are using your resources so well (posting here, phone numbers, books, meetings etc.) That’s the way to do it! I have my own arsenal of sober weapons I use too and I don’t leave home without them! Also congratulations on 20 days!!

Sparkos, more hugs for you too! Stay with us we love your spirit, humor and support we need it!

Aarry you are the library queen! They should name a wing after you!

Bimini thanks for the compliment you always have such supportive advice for everyone we need you here! (and also I love “squishy hugs” !)

Dee, you are Da Man! Not much more to say.

Everyone else, I am truly blessed to be with you all thru all the ups and downs for better for worse.

Love you all immensely! Have a beautiful spring day!
-Chris
Old 04-11-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support Chris! I'm leaving in about an hour.

I think I've been working too hard and become stir crazy so I'm thinking it's time to get out. I can come back super fast if I need to. You know I will!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
Thanks for the support Chris! I'm leaving in about an hour.

I think I've been working too hard and become stir crazy so I'm thinking it's time to get out. I can come back super fast if I need to. You know I will!
Great Ilya! Always good to have an exit strategy even if you don't end up using it. Sounds good! My thoughts and positive energy are with you !
Old 04-11-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Sparkos and toddle glad you made it back and posted. I was going to make a post about how vulnerable I feel to picking up a drink. I dont want to drink and dont have any huge cravings its just that I know how insidious this disease is. I've had my share of relapses. And every time it seemed to get worse. I'm going to stay sober today anyway Thanks Marchers!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to everyone who had a stumble, but I'm glad to see people making it back

I cannot over emphasise the importance of reaching out - either here or elsewhere - before it's too late guys.

If you want to stay sober you have to work for it a little sometimes - it's part of the deal.

I also think it's really important to be honest about situations - if you're going into a situation where you think you might drink, miught be tempted or you're just generally unsure?

Think about it again. Either decide not to go, this time, or really think about about the likely scenarios and think of healthy ways to deal with them.

Again, it's work...but it's work that really pays off - believe me

D
Old 04-11-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jade1224 View Post
Hi peeps.
I am having the weirdest dreams though.
Me too, what's with the weird dreams....

Congrats on the promotion!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Oh Toddle I feel for ya..... It must be so hard dealing with your own issues to have the AB adding to the stress.

Nevermind pick yourself up and keep moving on. The sober days are not a loss and the slip up is a learning experience.

I find that it's not the "exposed to alcohol" experiences that I'm at risk of, as I get so fired up to resist and win. Its more the quiet lonely moments when the AV kicks in and is really sneaky that I'm most at risk. That's what I'm working on differently this time.