Notices

The 24 Hour Club Sign Up Sheet, Part 50, All Are Welcome!

Old 04-05-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
a bit out there

Great story least, thanks for sharing.
22:39 here and tired, going to turn in early tonight I think. Ready for another 24 hours of sobriety
Old 04-05-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm in for another 24!

One years worth of saving our own lives, one day at a time...
Old 04-05-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Least, what an inspiring story! I'm here in California @9:20 soaking up some sun. (Or more like moonlight, now) And Deeker, elephants forever! Happy anniversary to the 24 hour club!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for the share, Least!

A quarter to ten at night here, ready for another twenty-four hours sober.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

1 day sober and another tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Good night all, starting another 24 hours of freedom, complete with the traditional sunday ringing of the ears.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

2:45amET...md! What an awesome wk that was;& was sober the whole time!! 24 more pls
Old 04-06-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

On course for my first sober anniversary!
Old 04-06-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Another 24. 12:05am PST
Old 04-06-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Day 8 for me, count me in for another
Old 04-06-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I am here for another 24 hours without a drink 08:30 UK
Old 04-06-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

AA anniversary 28

Today by the grace of God and the AA recovery program, I celebrate 28 years of living sober.

I am grateful for the rewards of loving and being loved by so many wonderful spiritual beings having similar human experiences as we discover the kingdom of God in our hearts in recovery.

I was 54 years of age on April 6, 1986, and I am 82 today. I have everything in my life when I follow the will of God for me on a daily basis.

I thank all of you beautiful SR members who are trudging the road of joy and happiness with me.

So I will have another 24 hours in Maryland at 3:30 am.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:33 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thank you Least, that was a wonderfully inspiring post.
Another 24 for me too, please.T
Old 04-06-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Woohoo! Way to go grtgrampa!
Old 04-06-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

08.39am. Back for another 24 please. Have a good day all.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:51 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I would like to jump on this train again, if you'll have me. I will abstain for the next 24 hours...Thank you all, you are truly inspiring. 2:50 in Indiana
Old 04-06-2014, 01:15 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

24 Hour Club Sign up Sheet Part 50, All Are Welcome!

Hello Everyone! Hope everyone is well! Won't you please join us in a simple
commitment to stay clean and sober for the next 24 Hours? Just post your
local time!

Please sign onto this thread just once a day as this is a list that will make up
our Daily Roster. Thank You!

Also Thank You for all your kind comments on the Birthday of the 24 hour club!

Welcome To Our Newest Members-
nopartygirl - Taproot -livin14 -
navigatorrs -JohnnySober -Discovery14 - DancingDiva -JJ1982

Welcome back to those returning!!

Congratulations!

w2r 1 week!
Mrsbee 1 week!
Holli 1 week!
Chasingthedream 1 week!
GentleSoul 2 weeks!
Addi 2 weeks!
Try18 2 weeks!
Tempebrenn 2 weeks!
LadyBug2 2 weeks!
toddle118 30 days!
Levitz 9 months!
Bubovski 11 months!

grtgrampa 28 YEARS WOOHOOO!

Did I miss your special day? Please send me a pm with your date or updated
clean/sobriety date. This is a club of honesty and accountability. I believe
being honest and accountable will help you succeed.

Thank You Miss vensucat for the work you are doing behind the scenes personally
Congratulating our Celebrants on behalf of the 24 hour club!.

Roster will be posted at 10 pm EST 4/6 USA .

Google USA Eastern Standard Time to see how your local time translates.

I've asked "least" to share her story with us. She has been sober since Dec 8th, 2009
and has been helping others at SR ever since! If you are unable to read it all right now,
please come back later when you can. I really think you will be inspired!

My Story by least

I didn't think I could make it sober one whole year.... but here I am, 59 yrs old and happily sober since December 8, 2009.

I never drank in high school in the sixties. I was an 'oddball' who was busy smoking pot with the only people who would have me - the hippies/ long hairs. It wasn't till after high school that I tried drinking. Wow! And it was legal! From the start I drank to get drunk, no social drinking for me. I wanted the high, the escape. I did ok for a few years but then started drinking too much and blacking out, doing ridiculous and dangerous things. I (barely) remember one party I went to, many years ago. I came home from that party wrapped in a blanket. To this day I don't know what I did or what happened to my clothes or who took me home. Ugh.

Fast forward a few more years and I was in AA, living sober and doing much better. From that point on (in my thirties) I was a non-drinker. Just didn't want it anymore.

Then back in March of 07 I started having just one glass of wine to 'relax' before the kids got home from high school. So I'd be calm and not 'engage' youngest kid when she started a fight. That glass of wine really did the trick.... all too well... and within a matter of months I was drinking all day, every day. I'd had so many years sober and just walked right back into that steel-jawed leghold trap...

I got addicted to wine so quickly it scared me. But I still drank. I drank to the exclusion of taking care of myself, my dogs, and my home. I wasn't paying bills and got into debt over never having enough money for necessary expenses cause I was spending it on wine. One to three bottles a day.

I thought I was 'ok' cause I was drinking at home alone - whom was I hurting?? My daughters were still in high school and they were very hurt by my drinking, especially my one daughter cause I'd picked her up from school several times obviously drunk. I prided myself on drinking at home so I wasn't driving drunk... but the truth is, I WAS driving drunk, either when picking up my kids or when going to get more wine. What an idiot. I was lying to myself and believing it, all evidence to the contrary.

It was in the fall of 07 that I first noticed that I was waking up with the shakes really bad and had to give up my usual coffee cause it made the anxiety so awful. I started having a glass of wine (or two or three) in the morning to quell the awful anxiety. If I didn't have any wine I'd pace the house until 8 am when the store opened up and I could get another bottle. At that point I started to realize I was going thru withdrawals EVERY DAMN MORNING!! I knew deep down I'd dug myself into a hole, but was still digging it deeper. I was drinking to 'medicate' my depression and anxiety but was only making it worse...

Finally in December 07 I admitted to my shrink that I was an alcoholic and wanted to stop drinking. I also called my dad and told him my problem. He was quite understanding and didn't condemn me, just encouraged me to get help to stop. But I couldn't stop, rather, I couldn't STAY sober. I'd get a few days sober, then drink to quell the anxiety. Then I felt like crap and hated myself for my weakness. I was sent to rehab/detox by our local substance abuse center - not once, but three times in the first six months of 08. Always started drinking again afterward. I felt like a complete loser and hated myself and wanted to die just to escape my miserable life.

I'd get a bit of sober time... days, weeks, months - then relapse. Over and over again. I was seeing an addiction counselor as a requirement for being sent (for free) to rehab. But I still drank. The longest I managed to stay sober was nearly six months... but relapsed for two horrible days in December 09, last year. I woke up after drinking for two days, sick as hell and thinking I was going to die. I wanted to die just to end my miserable existence. I went thru the w/d cold turkey cause I was too ashamed to go back to the ER and admit yet another failure.

I must have had an epiphany at that point cause somehow I managed to stay sober - out of sheer stubbornness, if nothing else. I took it one day at a time and stubbornly stayed sober. I was sober but still miserable. At some point in those first few months I started forcing myself to be grateful for my blessings. I made myself be grateful every day. Started posting on the Gratitude forum every day. And whaddaya know? It became a habit! A good healthy habit that filled the void in my soul that alcohol used to fill.

I started to deliberately practice kindness too, a little kindness to someone every day. I was starting to feel better, more human, and not hating myself all the time. It was around four-to-six months sober that I realized that I didn't have the desire to drink anymore. I felt so free!! Now I was staying sober cause I wanted to stay sober and not just from being stubborn. I started feeling happy again and content with my lot in life.

Now I'm living a life better than I'd ever dreamed possible. Still have the same ol' problems, but now I handle them a lot better, with maturity and acceptance and determination. I take better care of myself, and especially my beloved dogs. My kids respect me again and trust me again. I pay my bills on time and in full.

There were so many times in early recovery that I wanted to just give up and drink myself to death, figuring my life was a waste anyway. But with the support of my wonderful addiction counselor, and the caring supportive people here at SR I kept on staying sober. I didn't give up. And now I'm rewarded every single day for my strength and determination. I used to be horribly depressed and suicidal, now I'm happy joyous and free! I still have bouts of bad depression, but nothing like it used to be.

To those just starting out, or starting over, I will say this: NEVER give up on yourself. Keep trying. Keep on trying until you 'get it' or die - cause one or the other will eventually happen. I am enjoying my life for the first time in years. A better life IS possible if you just don't give up!

To the members here at SR: I LOVE YOU ALL AND AM SO GRATEFUL FOR YOUR LOVING SUPPORT AND THE OCCASIONAL A**KICKING WHEN I NEEDED IT! My hugs and deepest gratitude to you all.

*Song For The Day- Waitin' on the Wonderful - Aaron Lines

If ever unable to locate 24 Hour Club in the future click on Search near top of
page and type in Newcomer Daily Support threads and click GO! This is Part 50!
God Bless!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Here for another 24 hours at 4:24 AM in Indiana.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:33 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you for your story, least.
Congrats, ggp.
Hey Deek, Happy one year and a day to this spectacular thread.

The three of you, as well as so many others on here provide such wonderful inspiration to me! Thank you!!

I'm in for a 24 free from the bondage of alkie thinkin and drinkin, please, Deek.
@ 4:33 am in pa.

My best to all.

Carlos xx
Old 04-06-2014, 02:02 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

4:58 a.m. Signing up for another 24 hours of freedom.

I really appreciate your story Least. I too started my recovery in '08 but got stuck in the revolving door of relapse. So happy that your life is better now. Thanks for sharing.