Notices

Class of August 2013 - Part 11

Old 05-09-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Yes, I have made my Big Plan. I do find that since I have ,I feel much stronger. The greatest relief for me has been learning about addictive depression . I really thought I was manic depressive since stopping drinking. Immediately after addressing This recurring mood in the same manner as my Big Plan I have felt my mood stabilize...may not be for everyone, but over the last two weeks I feel much better.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Of course your stronger. You just took an oath to never use a substance you were once addicted to and that you know will kill you. This is huge, this is BIG:-)

That's a whole new level...you should be proud! Good for you OL...it's nice to see you are taking the actions to build a solid program.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

OL, you sound wonderful. Things seem to be really coming together for you. You have worked hard and deserve this bit of peace. I hope it is bringing you joy, too. Like our Adv. He's experiencing joy!

I finally got the list of chores that had to be done "right now" completed, so today I'm going to take it easy a little. Tomorrow we're going out with the sheriffs posse with the horses to do an obstacle course. It should be fun. But the last time we did it somebody fell off their horse and broke an arm. Good thing there was an ortho surgeon along. Life in the fast lane, and all!

It just strikes me as I look back, that even though I've been feeling on the depressed and anxious side, I have been going out and getting things done and seeing people and generally doing ok. This is a great improvement. Though I used to use drugs and alcohol to manage my life, I see now I am gradually learning to do things without those things to depend on. It is very slow going but it is going and sometimes I feel overwhelmed and have to say no. But no is no and nobody is giving me any guff about it. Surprise!

My brother is here visiting for a while. He is a doctor working in the bush out of Bethel, Alaska. He has many a story to tell. He likes that "fly by the seat of your pants" stuff! Brrrr! Not for me! He's not an addict of any kind (that I know of) but he has that burning energy that runs like a thread through my family.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

JD, ha ha I think it is a bullet bike! it sure is fun but I almost got creamed going to the night bazaar tonight so I'm going to count my blessing and turn it back in. Swimming is so great here - the weather is scorching since it is summer and I love an evening swim.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Well, if you ever decide to visit Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan or Japan I have much in terms of hotels with the best pools, food, etc. I am afraid I have never been to Thailand but would like to one day.

I am glad you are enjoying yourself - sounds great! Just what the Dr. ordered at 8+ months!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

going to throw some pics up but for the life of me cant figure out how I put them all in one post the other day - must be the mobile software that allowed it...

Bullet bike:

Last edited by advbike; 02-03-2021 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Your faithful correspondent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
JRB_Ayut.jpg (95.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-09-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Inside of a temple
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
_1030030.jpg (98.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-09-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

inside another temple

Old 05-09-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

the temple at Doi Suthep up on the mountain

Old 05-09-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Little girls from a hill tribe

Old 05-09-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Adv, I'm so glad you decided to take this trip! It has done you a world of good. That hat sitting over that smile of yours says it all.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

A lot of thought-provoking material here over the last couple days.

Orn, thank you for sharing the youtube video of the poetry slam. Oh, what a painful narrative. But it is good to be mindful of the world that could await us if we "go back." I feel stronger in my sobriety but relapse is like the monster in closet I feared as a child. In darker moments, it frightens me. And, unlike Stephen King-like creations, it is a real monster to fear.

I hope this weekend brings peace to all of us.

On a happier note, I continue to enjoy updates from our globetrotter, Advbike. Those photographs are so remarkably beautiful. Everything is so ornate and brimming with detail. And look at Advbike himself -- you're the picture of contentment, friend. Keep enjoying your journey!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Advbike, these photos are absolutely amazing. The colors and textures seem to pop out on the screen. And so nice to 'see' you! I often wonder what my SR friends look like in real life. I had thought about posting one of myself at the 80s party a few weeks ago but didn't want to scare you all away.

V--at what point in the lunch process did you realize that you had brought an onion instead of an apple? Hopefully it was before you took a bite. That made me laugh at loud.

Well, today was the day--the dreaded department meeting. It was the most acrimonious meeting we've had in the four years since I've been here. But now it is over. It's kind of like when a wound festers and then all the junk comes out before it starts to heal. Today was the draining of the junk part. I didn't realize until about 8 p.m. that it didn't occur to me to drink over it. Yay!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Thanks V, thanks Kadi, and Else... it really is thanks to all of you that I am able to do this. It wouldn't have been remotely possible without the support and insight I have gained from everyone in this class. JD, I especially have to give you credit here for your relentless pursuit of awareness into the addiction process, your sharing of that knowledge, and encouragement to others such as myself. It has been really eye-opening. But beyond that, we have such a great class.. everyone shares, cares and helps those who are struggling. And Dee is always there somehow as well.. Thanks all.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post

V--at what point in the lunch process did you realize that you had brought an onion instead of an apple? Hopefully it was before you took a bite. That made me laugh at loud.

Well, today was the day--the dreaded department meeting. It was the most acrimonious meeting we've had in the four years since I've been here. But now it is over. It's kind of like when a wound festers and then all the junk comes out before it starts to heal. Today was the draining of the junk part. I didn't realize until about 8 p.m. that it didn't occur to me to drink over it. Yay!
Well, Kadi, I didn't take a bite out of it. But I wasn't paying close attention to it and it wasn't until I pulled it out of the produce bag and took a second look that I realized my mistake.

That meeting cannot have been pleasant. But you are right in your assessment. And I am proud of you. In the bad old days, we couldn't have hit the poison fast enough.

We are a great class. I'm always so grateful for you friends. That doesn't mean we're anything near an exclusive club. Dave and Scott -- hope you'll come back and hang out with us. The support here is strong, unconditional and inclusive.

And hope old friends will check in, too. FG, W2R, Sean, George: How 'bout popping in?
Old 05-10-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Happy Mothers Day, Oceanlady!
Old 05-10-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Happy Mothers Day, SheKnits!
Old 05-10-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Happy Mothers Day, Elseware!
Old 05-10-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Thank you Venecia!