Notices

Class of April 2014

Old 04-01-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Diva,

That's also called "playing the tape all the way through". Great job on going straight home.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad to see all of you here! What a day this has been. After a year with a suspended license (had a hardship to drive to & from work & certain AA meetings), I am again a legal licensed driver, although because I was twice the legal limit when I was arrested, I will have to have the emissions device in my car for another year....but to be able to go where & when I want again is GREAT.

Before I could get my certificate of completion from the treatment center I was required to complete, I had to pay my balance in full today - $2500.00 dollars......that brings the grand total of my consequences to roughly $7000.00. I could have taken all my kids & little Grandson to Disneyland twice & myself to Tahiti.

It is what it is & I am grateful that I did not hurt anyone that night or other nights I drank & drove. Although a pain in the #@%, I am glad that I have that device in my car for another year. To think that despite all the consequences of that "drunk" and over a year later, I continue to have the thinking that I'm not that bad & can somehow "control" my drinking is truly "baffling".

I can't go back & undo & so ready to move forward & live a life "free" of the poison. I'm thrilled that tonight when my Son's bus rolls into the High School from an away ball game around midnight....I can drive out & pick him up
Old 04-01-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Congrats Mariah that's so great! I also got a DUI and it was in Texas. I moved to cali after that but all my court dates were in Texas so I had to FLY back four times and pay for hotels, taxi, etc. Cost me a grand each time. Then lawyer fees and then the whole dui itself. Crazy money I spent on a stupid mistake.

When I moved here a friend of mine was crossing the street at night and she got hit by a drunk driver. She was in critical condition for a week and then she died. It really made me see how a DUI is a serious, terrible crime. Her death sparked a ton of campaigns and fundraisers to end drunk driving in Santa Barbara.

Here especially there's NO reason to drive drunk. It's a small town and a cab ride is usually less than ten bucks. In Texas it was harder. Everything is spread out and there's hardly any public transportation.

Anyways I am grateful I didn't harm anyone as well.

Bud, thanks for your post. It touched my heart.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Well done, Mariah! I know that it must suck to have had to spend that much money as a consequence of drinking... But just think about all of the money you will save by not drinking anymore! Maybe that trip to Tahiti isnt so far away after all?!?!

Actually, the financial aspect of choosing sobriety is a big motivator for me. I live in Japan and I am trying to work out a situation where I can spend a month+ back in California with my family every year. That will be much more likely with an extra $4k+ in my account that would have gone to wine and beer.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Jade,

I grew up near Santa Barbara, and my undergraduate was at UCSB. Living in Isla Vista for a couple of years definitely proved a catalyst for heavy drinking in my late teens/early 20's. A few fiends got DUI's during those days, and were definitely paying for it for many years afterwards. Just one more great reason to stop drinking: no chance at getting a DUI, and more importantly not risking injuring ourselves and others!!

I still dream about getting back to SB to live someday...
Old 04-01-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Back again! Day 2 for me. Im in for April!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I'm in. Learning how to work through my issues without a bottle. Defiantly easier.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I could never live in Isla vista for that very reason. Too much of a party scene.

Sb is crazy too though. Especially in the service industry there's a lot of drinking.

I love SB. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. The weather is amazing, the people are amazing, the shops are amazing. I love it.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Brit congrats on day 2.

Gino welcome!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you all on your decisions to join this month's class. A big step for sure.
I joined the November 2013 class so today is day 141 for me. Still a rookie compared to some. However, we are all running our own one person marathon. Some of us will keep running as there is no finish line. Others will stumble and fall. Of those that fall, we hope that you pick yourself up, dust off and start again. Work your race plan and learn from why you tripped. Dont make the same mistake again.
My first few days of abstinence was a tough time for me. One of my long time best friend died, (metaphor for liquor.). I was pissed off that I had let myself get to the point where I knew I couldnt drink anymore. 1 beer was too many and 12 wasnt enough. You have all been there. As the days turned into weeks, I still have not forgot how much I enjoy drinking. 26 years ago I quit smoking, I loved to smoke. But I knew it would kill me, so I stopped. After 45 years of heavy drinking, I finally realized that drinking was killing me as well. So I quit on 11/12/13.
A number of supports have been the reason for my success so far.
1. my family
2. SR
3. Having a plan and working my plan.
4. A desire to be at my 3 year old grandsons wedding.

At 60, I have less years left than I have had years drinking in the past. I would like to enjoy the time left in a sober state.
All the best to all of you in the April class. You can do this thing called sobriety.
I am happy for you.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspirational post, Rick!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Does day one have to be April 1 to be in the class? My day 1 will have to be April. 2. It has to work this time. I'm at the end of my rope.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Welcome Peaches!

The more the merrier! No worries about starting on the 2nd- I'm sure that this class will continue to grow throughout the month!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peaches58 View Post
Does day one have to be April 1 to be in the class? My day 1 will have to be April. 2. It has to work this time. I'm at the end of my rope.
Dates don't matter, eh? Every day is a new one!!
Old 04-02-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

It's lovely to come on here after walking my girls to school and read so many inspirational posts, from old members and new members making positive life changes.

The sun is shining outside my window in London and I feel really positive, and really blessed that we have a team behind us.

Thank you everyone for posting, and supporting each other! I am not a daily cocaine user (don't worry, I know I am still an addict as when I do it, it is an absolute compulsion that I have no control over), so the difficult periods lie ahead for me- i.e.: the weekend-next week etc. So whilst I feel happy to say it's day 3 for me, I don't feel a sense of pride yet. I think and hope that will come when I Ignore that first real craving/line of coke.

I am proud to be a member of the class of April 2014. Let's make it count peeps!

Have a great day everyone x
Old 04-02-2014, 02:12 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I'm loving the sun in London at the moment too!

Just checking in. Great to see so many of us in the class Let's do this!
Old 04-02-2014, 02:32 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi everybody, I slept like a BABY last night, and I woke up feeling great!! I am so in for the long haul -- like the rest of my life -- this time.

To the SRs from previous months and years posting, what a wonderful thing to do! Your stories are exactly what I need to hear. :-)
Old 04-02-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. My day 1 is done. I came clean to my mother this morning about the extent of my addiction and she's been marvellous. Tough love but compassionate and has cleaned my house, looked after my kids and let me sleep today. She watched me take my antabuse. I'm lying in bed with tea and chocolate but I can't lie - I don't feel fantastic. I feel bored and resentful about never drinking again. But at the time if I HAD drank today I'd be hating myself. So.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hopeful, sounds like a great mom there! I hope today goes smoothly for you. :-)
Old 04-02-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

HopefulinAus, well done for coming clean to your Mum, that must have been tough.