Notices

Class of April 2014

Old 04-08-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Rounding out day two here.. it was a sublime evening here and instead of sitting on our deck with a beer watching the kids run around I went for a 8km run in training for a run I signed up for a while ago...the kids are off to bed soon and I'll have a tea and read a book...I know if i had of had that beer on the deck I'd be into my fouth or fifth by now and easily down a few more over the night....

Not tonight
Old 04-08-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Ugh...I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. I fell asleep around 9pm, hoping to be able to get up early and hit the gym (one of those things that supports sobriety for me), only to wake up at 1am and ended up reading until I was tired again around 3:30am.
Not drinking plus insomnia after an emotionally draining day at work yesterday is not fun. I wish I could say my head is clear. To be sure, it's more clear than if I had a hangover.

Had insomnia all last week too, and I think that led to my Friday-Saturday binge.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tdk1001 View Post
Hi everyone, new to the forum

my last drink was Saturday night. I had a VERY ugly night at the bar and completely humiliated myself in front of coworkers and other acquaintances. I've never been so embarrassed before in my life and today I had to face my coworkers.

They greeted me by calling me "Courtney Love" and then laughed and joked about my behavior on Saturday night. To them it was entertaining. (Because it was their first time drinking with me-if they knew that I was like that every weekend I doubt they'd be so amused.) To me it was another night in my shameful, shameful, pitiful, embarrassing, horrible life.

Tomorrow at 12 I am going to my first AA meeting. Someone from the group is going to come pick me up and attend it with me. I couldn't bring myself to go alone-not strong enough yet.
Don't be overly hard on yourself. I've had regular Courtney Love moments at bars as well. Last Thursday was my first meeting I actually made it in the door. The first two I say outside to afraid to go in, so I get that feeling too.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilac0721 View Post
Ugh...I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. I fell asleep around 9pm, hoping to be able to get up early and hit the gym (one of those things that supports sobriety for me), only to wake up at 1am and ended up reading until I was tired again around 3:30am.
Not drinking plus insomnia after an emotionally draining day at work yesterday is not fun. I wish I could say my head is clear. To be sure, it's more clear than if I had a hangover.

Had insomnia all last week too, and I think that led to my Friday-Saturday binge.
It's a cycle for me. If I drink hard 2-3 nights in a row, like clockwork insomnia is going to be apart of my next few days. Sleep is something I'm still leveling out on and I'm on day 8. Melatonin helps me, but not till 48-72 hours after my last drink. It strange, but you may want to try that. I'd also recommend the liquid form.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Day 8. The concert went really well. I honestly didn't have a big urge to drink. The fact I saw my therapist yesterday as well kept me focussed, as well as the fresh memory of my last train wreck at a concert. I was slightly more annoyed by drunk antics of people than I normally am and I'm not sure if that's a product of projecting my issues on to them, jealousy I can't drink, or if drunk people just annoy me sober. Time shall tell I guess. Stay strong everyone!
Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

I've heard alcohol affects sleeping so no surprise some of us are having insomnia issues. I'm on Day 4 (again for what feels like the thousandth time) and feeling good. Plans for this weekend (the hardest part of the week) are to do yardwork, son's soccer game, lunch with the in-laws and finishing up my research paper. Next week my son and I are flying out to visit my family in the mid-West. Can't wait for soem quality time with my son and family.

Thinking of heading back to AA. It does feel good walking into a room of people who have the same problem as you and who can relate to your issues. Then I don't feel so "alone".

Let's all of us keep up the good work.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! It's day 7 off opiates for me, and 4 weeks since I started weaning myself off of them. I can't believe it's been a week. I feel a bit better every day, and got the best night of sleep I've had in a month last night.
Progress is good...

Dancing, Green Turtle, Brooke, Surf, and Piplup, I'm glad you're all here.

Lovemesomeokra, there's a good chance we know some of the same folks. I know tons of people from those days, and they are all over the place. Also, I really hope you get to Tallahassee today. It's so important to remember that death.

Beerbottles, that sounds like a much better way to spend the evening than beers on the deck. I only run if something's chasing me, so I'm always impressed by those who do it voluntarily..

Lilac, I hope your sleep starts getting back to normal soon. It makes everything feel better.

Noolan, I'm glad the show went well. I would guess that you'll eventually find that it really is that drunk people annoy you.

TDK, I hope the meeting is a good experience for you. It's certainly a big step.

JJ, today is a new day, and there are lots of things that work better for a headache than pot. Maybe try one of those options today instead?

Mariah, great job on 10 days. I hope the sun keeps shining on us, at least for a few more days.

Mrsbee, MrG, and Topspin, thanks for sharing about your meeting experiences. I still can't see myself in that setting, but you all make it sound inviting.

To all, I hope today goes well, that all of us get something positive out of it, and that we all make it through sober.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the new people! This is a great place, so please stick around.

Day 4 for me, and I'm feeling good! Headed off to work, and when I get home I'll be working at the piano. I'm trying to write a piano part for a collaborative project that's performing in a couple weeks. It's been a challenging task, but I'm loving it!

See y'all tonight!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad your here with us Pip - Have a great day everyone
Old 04-08-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Dang it, Day 1 again for me here. I swear to myself this is the absolutely last time I will post that first sentence. Seriously, I'm done. I've forgiven myself for last night and am focusing on today and moving forward from here. These were my goals that I posted on Friday (I believe):

1. Meet with Dr. to address my xanax levels and anti-depressants
DID IT!!!
2. Go to AA at least 3 times weekly at minimum and get sponsor before Monday
Went to meeting on Saturday morning and got a really good sponsor. I almost slept in and skipped the meeting but felt like I needed to go and as luck would have it, found a good fit - SHOULD HAVE CALLED HIM LAST NIGHT BEFORE WALKING IN TO THE BAR - The new goal now is to call sponsor or someone in program daily, certainly if I'm even thinking about possibly drinking. Also, I've decided that I'm going to attend a lunch meeting every Tuesday and Thursday whether my boss likes it or not - it's my lunch time to do what I need to do. And then Saturday morning men's AA meeting and coffee with sponsor right after every Saturday
3. Start waking up by 6:45 every morning for 15 minutes of quiet reflection/prayer/meditation, then have healthy breakfast and then spend 20 minutes with my son when he wakes up right before I leave for work.
Working on it - didn't happen today but was up early to take inlaws to airport....so tomorrow at 6:45 a.m. it is....and will wake up sober
4. Start exercising, even it this is gardening, but get back into the sports I'm most passionate about (skateboarding, snowboarding, paddling, softball, etc.). These things make me relax as weird as it sounds...when I'm doing these things, I'm in the moment and all else is gone for a bit.
Did a ton of gardening this weekend...didn't drink all weekend, felt great. Should have spent a bit more time with family rather than the rototiller but I was very productive in a lot of positive ways. Getting my softball team back together.
5. Just do one small positive thing daily to move my business/music forward. Pick one small thing daily and stick to that rather than trying to work on 30 things at the same time. I overwhelm myself so much with my thinking and I put 90% of the pressure on myself. I've got to change my lifestyle.
Taking things slowly - obviously, yesterday was a total loss as far as productivity goes once the bottle hit my lips. I hate it and what I let it steal from me or what I give to it.

So that's where I am. So thankful to be alive today and have another chance to do this and live life. A fresh start.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you all know that I'm in bed with my babies watching a film.

Passed my first real 'test', tonight being the night I would often pick up for the rest of the week. Spent the afternoon painting our spare room and then went to bed early with my girls.

Feel happy

Hope you're all doing well, I'll write more tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

I know how you feel RiverFriend- I drank at the weekend and choose notto dwell on it- it's time to move on and forward! Its great that you have reflected on what you did right/wrong and have a plan in place to address those issues- sounds like a path to success to me. I'm in a bit of limbo actually, no real concrete plan going forward which scares me, but I will be spending time each morning to plan the coming day...

Morning of day 2. Have a great day everyone!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Is it to late to join??

I am trying again this year. I have been struggling this past year a great deal. I drink every night, my job performance is lacking. To top it all off I have gained over 20 pounds this year. I need to get my life in order!!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never too late Aeasterman - welcome

D
Old 04-08-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back River - yeah supports great but it's not worth anything if you don't use it.
I learned that eventually - I hope you have too

D
Old 04-08-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Welcome Aeasterman! I can relate on the job performance. I'm pretty good at my job, but my alcohol habit has kept me from being great. Not anymore!!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MariahGayle View Post
3 days & winding down in day 4. I "failed" my last class & have struggled over the last couple of years to "hold on" to sobriety, but I know it's the life I want & am not going to give up. Glad you are all here
I'm right here with you Mariah... This is not the first class I've joined but I hope it will be the last. Never give up giving up... I know if I do that I'll get there. There's a wonderful sober life there just waiting for us. Let's follow the yellow brick road together.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Welcome Aesterman and flujays.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome flujays

D
Old 04-08-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back River - yeah supports great but it's not worth anything if you don't use it.
I learned that eventually - I hope you have too

D
Yes, couldn't agree more Dee... last week when I decided to drink for the last time, I had a sponsor but decided not to call her because I knew she'd talk me out of it. A perfect example of twisted thinking. I asked for her to be my sponsor because i wanted help but then when the thought pattern started, you know the crazy 'I can just have one and it won't hurt' though pattern, I didn't call her for the help I'd previously asked for. Bottom line, no point having a sponsor if you don't call them when you are thinking of drinking and allow them to help you.