Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 7

Old 04-01-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

DI-hope you have fallen back to sleep! I'm sure you will enjoy time with your cousins so much more without alcohol and with much less regret.!

Keithurbanfan: congrats on your weightless and the 5k, very inspiring! Like glee, I have also tried every diet known to man. I know what it takes to lose it, no matter what diet I choose, I just need to stick with it. While I am desperate to lose weight, I have to say sobriety is so much more important to me now. I just hope that eventually I can achieve both at some point. I do like WW and am considering signing up online.

Ladybug, I truly feel that we are all so different in how our bodies respond to alcohol in regards to weight, but I know that for me when I slip up, even if only for a few days, it can take a while for my body to stop retaining water which shows as a gain. Not sure how much you work out, but muscle could also be the cause of a few pounds...? So frustrating, I know!

Last night I was so grateful to have avoided the wine craving. I exercised and made dinner but then started feeling awful, like I was coming down with something. I went to bed early and seem to have slept off most of whatever it was. Interestingly, the feeling reminded me of a hangover: shaky, weak, tired, achy. Yuck, why would we choose that?
Other than that, I feel like the fog is lifting. No alcohol for a few days and no contact with my ex for a week and already I am feeling so much more at peace and positive about things. He is toxic for me just as much as drinking is.. It's crazy as strong as our love once was, that's how it has ended up. I am slowly accepting that and it's somehow comforting to at least make some sense of it all.

Busy day today- work and my daughters softball game tonight. One of those days where drinking would be really difficult to pull off even if I wanted to. But there were times, years ago, where it didn't matter, I was sneaking drinking constantly. I'm not perfect, but I sure have have come a long way.

Enjoy a sober day everyone, I am so grateful for each of you.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Good morning DI. At 4:45 am I clocked into work. Yuck! It is so I can get to the IOP counselor without using time off work.

If you didn't fall asleep yet, can you watch the sunrise and reflect how good it is to be sober?

Maybe start some coffee for your family?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

FABL: Exercise is a weapon I use against the AV. Just a walk helps. I'm with you. Sobriety first. I need to drop some weight but booze interferes. Empty calories, mindless eating, greasy hangover food.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I fell back asleep for a bit. Will probably nap at some point. Thanks for the ideas. I had been sleeping pretty well. Stinks for that to happen while I'm on vacation!! Oh well, success nonetheless and sleepy is still hands down better than hungover!

Have a great day everyone.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keithurbanfan View Post
Good evening all.....

I just wanted to check in. I'm doing great tonight. I've had a busy day and have been unable to log on. I was so thankful this morning when I wasn't gagging in my coffee. LOL Sorry for the visual, but that's what I would have been doing if I'd given in to my AV yesterday. Thanks for giving me a safe place to go for support. I'm grateful for you all.

When I first tried this thing called sobriety in October 2011, I was determined to do a total transformation. I quit drinking in October '11, joined Weight Watchers in December '11, and started couch to 5K in February '12. I ended up losing 30 pounds, ran my first 5K in April 2012 and didn't drink again until I fell in February 2013 (when I went to surprise my sister for her 40th birthday). Most of 2013 was spent drinking. I totally get what your're all saying about the healthy eating. It all goes hand in hand. With the help of weight watchers, I learned to change the way I eat. Completely. I did reach my goal weight in May '12, and have been able to keep the weight off, although I no longer attend meetings or count points. It really is all about burning off more you take in.

I hope everyone is having a super sober night.
That is fantastic!

How long did you go without drinking during this period?

Was is more about healthiness or a combination?

When people can go such along time without drinking is it common to think that we become bigger than alcohol abuse?

I'm curious as to your mindset, when you had decided to have a drink after this period.

I can only dream about going a year without drinking. A year is a long time and I'm wondering how we should be thinking if and when that time comes.

Nevertheless, thank you for sharing this.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by Neverthought View Post
A year is a long time and I'm wondering how we should be thinking if and when that time comes.

Nevertheless, thank you for sharing this.
Only one way to find out how you will feel. Give at least a year a test drive.

Like NT I'm also going to say thankyou for sharing the story.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi Febbies

DiggingIn - great job ignoring that AV during your bout of insomnia overnight. The way I figure it is that even during a night of disrupted sleep, we probably get more rest than we did after drinking. My sleep is disrupted but I've never been a good sleeper, and I drink coffee in the late afternoon. Have your cousins mentioned your sobriety to you yet? Chances are that even if they don't talk about it, they will notice the change - especially if last time you had an embarrassing episode.

Fabl - Matters of the heart can be triggering and the situation with your ex sounds confusing and painful. I'm glad you're back to your workday structure and feeling back on track. I know I'm grateful that my kids' sports schedules keep me busy. (Sometimes too busy. )

Torn - At work at 4 am. Talk about dedication to recovery. That is inspiring. You rock.

KeithUrbanFan - Thanks for the story about your weight loss. Yesterday, while I didn't have a 300 calorie deficit, I nonetheless "worked my program" (to steal a term from addiction recovery): I tracked my calories, ate healthy snacks, stayed within the recommended number of calories per day, controlled the portion of my "treat" item, and didn't binge. I'm glad others can understand.

Ladybug - there are all sorts of factors to small weight fluctuations. Could be based on water intake, hormones, etc.

Tonight is the youth hockey board meeting. One of the folks who tried to sabotage my husband's reputation has gotten himself into hot water with a few folks over the past week. This is something hubby and I would usually drink over, but I'm not doing it because I'm an alcoholic and I cannot drink alcohol safely.

Have a great day.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Morning Febbies!

Hmm...Sitting here reading all the posts from yesterday and debating getting to the gym and then a meeting. Why do we fight doing good things for ourselves? I'm supposed to make my bed (long story), read a page out of the BB, say a short prayer, call my sponsor once a day even for just a minute, and get to a meeting and now that I'm out of rehab I don't want to do any of that.

I guess some of it is just a matter of starting new habits. I lean toward the lazy side as well and have to watch that. I bought a new Ipod Nano as rehab graduation gift and to help motivate me to get back in the gym. Guess I better use it!

Hope everyone has a great day. Day 29 for me! One more day and I get my first silver chip!
Old 04-01-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Hi Febbies DiggingIn - great job ignoring that AV during your bout of insomnia overnight. The way I figure it is that even during a night of disrupted sleep, we probably get more rest than we did after drinking. My sleep is disrupted but I've never been a good sleeper, and I drink coffee in the late afternoon. Have your cousins mentioned your sobriety to you yet? Chances are that even if they don't talk about it, they will notice the change - especially if last time you had an embarrassing episode.
I was embarrassed, they all thought that I was being silly. It was dark, we were sitting around a fire and when I got up I didn't see the woodpile and tripped over it. I knew how much I'd had though they didn't. I think had a been more sober I would have seen the woodpile. That is the only time any of them have seen me drink, so they have no idea. Besides i wasn't the most drunk person there by far. So far, no one has even mentioned having a drink. I suppose tonight will be different. I'm prepared!
Old 04-01-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Good morning, everyone! Just checking in. It's been a while, though I've been reading and checking in on the 24 hour thread (most of the time!)

Yay, GEAH, for the 30 day chip tomorrow! I'm sure that will feel great when it's in your hand. Early congratulations!

I'm home with a sick kiddo, yet again, and of course, on a day I'm scheduled to work in the evening. Just hanging out doing laundry. Spent yesterday doing a more thorough cleaning. Now that the weather's better, I'm inspired to get my house in better order. I'm hoping to do some painting of the main living rooms. The kids tend to wreak havok on the walls somehow.

Anyway, not much news here. I'm at 51 days today. It's hard to believe I'm almost to 60. I see what people mean when they talk about getting some time under their belt and then thinking they can go back and just have a drink or start drinking in moderation. I think, "I've got this." But I know I don't. It's an illusion - the beast just trying to convince me. I plan on staying strong. So far, I've avoided situations with alcohol, so I'm not really 'tested' when confronted with it. I think that's best for me for right now, but I think, with this awareness, I will be ok when the time comes. Kudos to all of you who are confronting it and defeating it!

Have a great Tuesday, everyone!
Old 04-01-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

It's always a privilege to read everybody's stories, it gives me so much hope to know there are other's finding the exact same situations I struggle with just as difficult, but getting through it and overcoming all of these challenges, I'm now on Day 46 and I genuinely believe that the reason i've managed to get that is because of this forum. I don't even really count the days anymore I looked at my calender today and saw that i'd got 45 days and was like "Huh, how about that?" I feel a clarity of mind I havn't felt in years, and yet, I can always see that scorpion, sometimes he nudges me and is like

"Eh? How about a quick ride? C'mon just for a little bit, just for a short ride across the river eh?"
Yeah well I got news for you scorpion, i'm wise to your bullsh**t now so get lost, I have work to do.

CHallenges I have coming up include starting two new jobs, starting a new course, going to visit an friend, a friend coming to visit me and another friend's wedding. Obviously I am very wary of these events, but I have faith in my armour, and I have faith in this group.

Stay strong friends
Peace to all
Old 04-01-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LonelyShadow View Post
It's always a privilege to read everybody's stories, it gives me so much hope to know there are other's finding the exact same situations I struggle with just as difficult, but getting through it and overcoming all of these challenges, I'm now on Day 46 and I genuinely believe that the reason i've managed to get that is because of this forum. I don't even really count the days anymore I looked at my calender today and saw that i'd got 45 days and was like "Huh, how about that?" I feel a clarity of mind I havn't felt in years, and yet, I can always see that scorpion, sometimes he nudges me and is like

"Eh? How about a quick ride? C'mon just for a little bit, just for a short ride across the river eh?"
Yeah well I got news for you scorpion, i'm wise to your bullsh**t now so get lost, I have work to do.

CHallenges I have coming up include starting two new jobs, starting a new course, going to visit an friend, a friend coming to visit me and another friend's wedding. Obviously I am very wary of these events, but I have faith in my armour, and I have faith in this group.

Stay strong friends
Peace to all
We have faith in you, too, LS. Congrats, not only on your 46 days, but on all that you have accomplished during them.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SayAnything View Post
Good morning, everyone! Just checking in. It's been a while, though I've been reading and checking in on the 24 hour thread (most of the time!)

Yay, GEAH, for the 30 day chip tomorrow! I'm sure that will feel great when it's in your hand. Early congratulations!

I'm home with a sick kiddo, yet again, and of course, on a day I'm scheduled to work in the evening. Just hanging out doing laundry. Spent yesterday doing a more thorough cleaning. Now that the weather's better, I'm inspired to get my house in better order. I'm hoping to do some painting of the main living rooms. The kids tend to wreak havok on the walls somehow.

Anyway, not much news here. I'm at 51 days today. It's hard to believe I'm almost to 60. I see what people mean when they talk about getting some time under their belt and then thinking they can go back and just have a drink or start drinking in moderation. I think, "I've got this." But I know I don't. It's an illusion - the beast just trying to convince me. I plan on staying strong. So far, I've avoided situations with alcohol, so I'm not really 'tested' when confronted with it. I think that's best for me for right now, but I think, with this awareness, I will be ok when the time comes. Kudos to all of you who are confronting it and defeating it!

Have a great Tuesday, everyone!
Congrats on 51 days, SayAnything. That beast does become weaker but he doesn't seem to ever die, does he; we need to keep him in a consistently weakened state, huh.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

LS- she's right. We have faith in you. Congratulations to you.

I admire all of you, but especially those of you brave enough to do IOP. What an inspirational commitment.

NT- How are things going? I know you recently posted, I was just thinking about you.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenEggsAndHam View Post
Morning Febbies!

Hmm...Sitting here reading all the posts from yesterday and debating getting to the gym and then a meeting. Why do we fight doing good things for ourselves? I'm supposed to make my bed (long story), read a page out of the BB, say a short prayer, call my sponsor once a day even for just a minute, and get to a meeting and now that I'm out of rehab I don't want to do any of that.

I guess some of it is just a matter of starting new habits. I lean toward the lazy side as well and have to watch that. I bought a new Ipod Nano as rehab graduation gift and to help motivate me to get back in the gym. Guess I better use it!

Hope everyone has a great day. Day 29 for me! One more day and I get my first silver chip!
I can't wait to see your silver chip; you have so earned it.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Sober Today

@SA - 51 days is amazing! I wish I would not have relapsed this last time but it was a learning experience, I suppose. Congrats to you for still going strong and realizing the like your AV tells you re: moderation.

@SoberLeigh - Oh thank you! I'm SUPER excited! It's the longest I've gone in yearrrrrrs without drinking! It sounds like such a small amount of time but feels like forever! lol
Old 04-01-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi everybody! I am just checking in but I have a question....How many of you go to AA meetings? I've been to a bunch but I don't find it helpful at all... Am I alone in that? I find if anything it makes me feel like I'm okay, I don't have a problem compared to this one or that one... Thoughts??
Old 04-01-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by rudy68 View Post
Hi everybody! I am just checking in but I have a question....How many of you go to AA meetings? I've been to a bunch but I don't find it helpful at all... Am I alone in that? I find if anything it makes me feel like I'm okay, I don't have a problem compared to this one or that one... Thoughts??
Not yet, but IOP wants two a week.

The danger with this thinking is comparing. I bet all of us can find people worse off. The question is do you think you have an alcohol problem?

Also, many people get sober without AA. Maybe post this in newcomers thread to hear from long timers experience.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

For the record, I'm beyond nervous about AA. I am proud you gave it a try Rudy.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

The thought of going to AA makes me anxious, as well. I think those who try it are brave. I want to try it, but I'm not sure what's holding me back. Maybe I feel like it's 'coming out' as an alcoholic, though I'd be in a room full of them.