Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 7

Old 03-31-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm feeling like a little self improvement project, too. My diet and exercise regimen has been all over the map throughout my adult life.

I've dabbled in every diet fad this side of 1990: low-fat, no-fat, high carb, no carb, vegetarian, dairy free, gluten free. I've gained and lost weight over the years going on diets and falling off the wagon. I've also dabbled in different ways of exercising. I've run, used cardio machines, taken classes, spot trained, full body trained, lifted heavy weights, lifted light weights.

I am certain that my addictive thinking patterns have played into my issues with diet and exercise.

The extra piece is, my body image is distorted too; even at my slimmest and fittest, I felt insecure. I know a lot of women struggle with this. Society gives us unrealistic messages about how we're supposed to look. As I've gotten older, and especially in the last year, I've been learning to see the value in the body I have, and realizing that happiness is not inversely related to the size of my jeans.

As much as I'd like a firm ass, that's not what I'm after this time. I've been reading a lot on here that one component to success in recovery is eating a balanced diet and getting exercise.

I've also been reading a lot on here about looking for something to fill that deep hole that lead me to alcoholism in the first place, and binging on food and compulsively exercising don't need to be that filler for me ever again.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My only advice when it comes to fitness really would be to keep it simple, to lose fat-weight you have to eat fewer calories than you expend, that really is the only way to do it, you want to be in a calorie deficit between 300-500 calories a day to lose 1lbs/0.5kg a week, it's a modest and achievable deficit and after a while becomes second nature!

As for the sugar and snack cravings, keep those dried fruit and nuts to hand, even if you over indulge on them theyre not empty calories and have some goodness in them.

Training should make you feel good, try to focus on enjoying the workouts and exercise and if your body image is getting you down, cover up your mirrors and stop weighing yourself until you feel like you're in a better place.

It's a tough balance in recovery because on the one hand exercise and fitness increases that natural high and self esteem, it can also lead to drops in mood, drops in energy and poor body image, which can be triggers for many, my best advice is to focus on enjoying the training itself. Keep your calories in deficit, but don't cut out any foods, if you LOVE Snickers bars then go nuts (pardon the pun) as long as you count the 300 or so calories that's in them! Compensate at teatime.

Hope that might help some with the diet/exercise issues!
It's not an easy road, but it will be worth the effort in the end
Old 03-31-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
I'm feeling like a little self improvement project, too. My diet and exercise regimen has been all over the map throughout my adult life.

I've dabbled in every diet fad this side of 1990: low-fat, no-fat, high carb, no carb, vegetarian, dairy free, gluten free. I've gained and lost weight over the years going on diets and falling off the wagon. I've also dabbled in different ways of exercising. I've run, used cardio machines, taken classes, spot trained, full body trained, lifted heavy weights, lifted light weights.

I am certain that my addictive thinking patterns have played into my issues with diet and exercise.

The extra piece is, my body image is distorted too; even at my slimmest and fittest, I felt insecure. I know a lot of women struggle with this. Society gives us unrealistic messages about how we're supposed to look. As I've gotten older, and especially in the last year, I've been learning to see the value in the body I have, and realizing that happiness is not inversely related to the size of my jeans.

As much as I'd like a firm ass, that's not what I'm after this time. I've been reading a lot on here that one component to success in recovery is eating a balanced diet and getting exercise.

I've also been reading a lot on here about looking for something to fill that deep hole that lead me to alcoholism in the first place, and binging on food and compulsively exercising don't need to be that filler for me ever again.
I hope that you can fill that whole with a greater realization of all that is wonderful about you, GF.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Sleepydots: I'm glad you made the call. I'm kinda jumping through some hoops for IOP, but was still surprised they had to call you back. What is nice, is you'll know costs upfront. Proud of you.

Glee: Spot on. I'm going to do walks and couch to 5 k say my pace. I don't expect to ever look Hollywood. I just want to be healthier. Maybe get off BP Mods. BP already improved off drinks and walks.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

SoberLeigh
Your words brought tears to my eyes. Good tears. Thank you.

Lonely Shadow
That is good advice and I appreciate it. I think I'm ready to do it the right way this time.

I'm approaching it like I am my alcoholism - with shields up (a little Febbie nostalgia right there).

At work, next to the kitchen, I taped the number 40 on the wall to remind me if my goal. That's the number of pounds I need to lose to be at the upper end of the healthy weight range for my height. As delicious as the snacks are, the fleeting pleasure gets in the way of meeting my goal.

Today while food shopping I bought cucumbers and celery for snacks. With garlic salt or herbamare, they are a savory snack fix - perfect for after work and at night, two huge pitfalls for me.

I also bought dried fruit and made a recipe for healthier sweets. I made a raw cacao pudding with an avocado, banana, and coconut milk base, that's sweetened with honey.

You're right, though, that I have to allow for the foods I love and utilize portion control. My usual pattern is to follow a diet very strictly, then blow it real hard for a whole entire day, then repent the next morning, and so on, like some people approach their drinking. Time for a new approach!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

DI: It's so good to hear you sounding so positive. It's amazing how removing alcohol from our lives can push us to improve ourselves in other ways too. Drinking just keeps us stuck.

Gleefan: I have similar diet/exercise/ motivation issues as well. For years I was convinced that if I quit or cut back on drinking my weight issues would be gone. That's definately not the case for me, but all the other benefits of sobriety are what keep me determined. To lose weight, I need to watch my portions and eat right.. Bottom line.

Oh boy, I had forgotten how strong the cravings were after work! I'm literally pulled over in a parking lot now to post here and keep me from stopping for a bottle of wine. I know it's gets easier but darn that AV can be convincing!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

FABL, so glad you turned to us and not the liquor store. Way to shut that AV down!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by tornrealization View Post
Shouldn't we be on part 7?
still battling my illness guys - yeah this is part 7 and the other thread is now closed lol

D
Old 03-31-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Fabl - you showed great strength and resolve by pulling over and saying no to the craving. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
still battling my illness guys - yeah this is part 7 and the other thread is now closed lol

D
Feel better, Dee, much better.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Dee, my friend, hope you feel better soon.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

FABL. Good call, posting instead of buying. Hooray!

After work is my prime time too. Hoping the rain stays away for a walk instead.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I've arrived at my aunt's house. Several of us cousins are here this week. Looking forward to some laughs and making memories. And this time around I'll be able to remember! :-) I'll still be checking in here.

Have a great week all!
Old 03-31-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I'm on the mend today guys

D
Old 03-31-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Glad you're feeling better Dee!

Hope everyone else is having a nice and sober evening. Went to the gym this morning and found I have gained 4 lbs since last Monday?!! I have been cutting back on sweets and working out more so go figure. Kind of baffled as my weight doesn't usually fluctuate like that?

Anyway, grateful for another day of no cravings. I know this won't last and my AV will wake up and realize it hasn't had any alcohol in awhile. But, until then, just enjoying the peace and quiet.

FABL, so glad you pulled over and posted instead of getting that bottle of wine. Good for you!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good evening all.....

I just wanted to check in. I'm doing great tonight. I've had a busy day and have been unable to log on. I was so thankful this morning when I wasn't gagging in my coffee. LOL Sorry for the visual, but that's what I would have been doing if I'd given in to my AV yesterday. Thanks for giving me a safe place to go for support. I'm grateful for you all.

When I first tried this thing called sobriety in October 2011, I was determined to do a total transformation. I quit drinking in October '11, joined Weight Watchers in December '11, and started couch to 5K in February '12. I ended up losing 30 pounds, ran my first 5K in April 2012 and didn't drink again until I fell in February 2013 (when I went to surprise my sister for her 40th birthday). Most of 2013 was spent drinking. I totally get what your're all saying about the healthy eating. It all goes hand in hand. With the help of weight watchers, I learned to change the way I eat. Completely. I did reach my goal weight in May '12, and have been able to keep the weight off, although I no longer attend meetings or count points. It really is all about burning off more you take in.

I hope everyone is having a super sober night.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks to Dee! Feel better
Old 04-01-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

So here it is at nearly 4:30 a.m. Wide awake. Everyone else asleep. In the past I would have opened some wine and drank until I "fell back asleep". I know there is beer, wine, margaritas all here somewhere. Somewhat tempted to seek the wine, but know I'll regret it. The beer and margaritas not so much. I did used to enjoy margaritas, but to me they represent a party and fun not going back to sleep. And the beer would not be something I would drink. So, looks like a tough it out and take a nap sometime later today.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:37 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Got a book to read DI?

D
Old 04-01-2014, 01:48 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I forgot my book!! But I have found a somewhat boring tv show to watch on my phone. Hoping it does the trick. :-) Tomorrow I go in to town and get a book!

I remember the last cousins gathering was pretty embarrassing for me. That won't be happening this time. In fact there won't be much drinking from anyone. And I have my excuse on the ready. I plan to use the truth of I'm asked.