http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-5-a-21.html

D
Old 03-20-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thanks Dee.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you LS. You'll do great!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nighttime check in.

Delphine - New motherhood is challenging. It's not surprising at all that you feel forgetful at this point in your life. I know I was! The hormonal fluctuations, the lack of sleep, the complete upheaval of your routine, all of it are major stressors. And you have the additional stress of quitting drinking. I think it's great that you have created accommodations for yourself. I'm a big fan of schedules and to do lists. Part of the reason I screwed up this morning is because my work schedule changes on Thursdays and Fridays and I don't do well with it.

LS - good luck at the interview!

Torn and DI - My job doesn't require attention to detail, but I feel a million times better not doing it in a hungover blur.

FABL - You are so totally right that a sober error is preferable to a drunken misstep. I appreciate the support. How are you doing today? Are you asking for the support YOU need?

Gazza - I love the knowledge you are dropping on us. The anger iceberg is an interesting phenomenon; I can relate to that. How is it working? Don't let you AV fool you into thinking that reaching healthy milestones earns you drinks. If drinking worked for you, you wouldn't be here or in therapy.

Ladybug - did you dump it? I hope so.

Briggsy - hope you had a good night of dinner and cards. Wow, you'll be 49 days on Sunday! You and I have been at this a long time. It's impressive that you weren't feeling the pinch til this week. Keep going, friend.

SayAnything - hope you are having a safe trip to your dad's.

My family had a good outing to Family Night at school. which adults were talking to which others. It felt good not to pay attention to which parents were talking to which other parents. It freed me to focus on my kids' projects, and look forward to a night at home watching basketball.

And I was reminded of one if the more resonating metaphors shared during the Febbies' sober journey by the report on my 4th grade son's desk:

image-2934126632.jpg

image-1080065821.jpg

Don't let that Scorpion take a ride with you tonight, friends.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Glee thanks for your night time post.

I agree, let's not let that scorpion sting us tonight.

I've been eating super bad since my fall last week and vacation. Time to get back into shape next week.

I wish LS good luck on the interview.

The av has been nagging me. I read something useful in the 24 hour thread. Along the lines if I won't give into a short pleasure for a long torture afterwards.

To me that means I don't have to pretend that I didn't like it. I acknowledge I do but the results don't make it worth it.

Anyways, with next Wednesdays assessment, I have more reason to stick to my guns. And the memories of the hospital. The bills are starting to show up.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Just a quick post before bed. Gleefan, yes, I did dump the rest of the vodka. Thanks for asking Felt like I was giving that AV a slap in the face and it felt good! Was a bit worried I would be tempted to save it/drink it, but I wasn't. On to Day 3.

Good luck tomorrow LS!! We'll be here for you if your AV gives you a hard time afterward.

Hope everyone had/is having a nice and sober night. Sending hugs and strength to all of you.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Torn.. I have that problem too after a slip when I am trying to get back on track- I allow myself to eat pretty much whatever I want because hunger is such a huge trigger for me. I usually get back into the swing of not drinking again within a week and then the pendulum swings once again to healthy eating, dieting, and exercise. I start to feel great and wham! After a few weeks (maybe more) I decide to drink again, and the whole cycle continues. Which is why I just keep losing and gaining the same 10 pounds. I really just want off this rollercoaster and it all hinges on staying sober.
Gleefan, glad you had a nice night and are feeling better. Thank you for asking if I need support because I guess I do.
Some of you may recall my slip was a direct result of relationship issues with an ex-boyfriend. Very complicated situation and I clearly have a very unhealthy reaction to him. One moment I feel free of him and strong and literally the next I am obsessing. It is so much better for me not to have contact with him but I keep initiating it and prolonging this pain. I swear it is so similar to addiction. When it comes to him and alcohol I keep sabotaging myself even though I know better. Anyway, I am struggling with this again tonight. I'm just afraid that with vacation coming up, I will turn to alcohol.
Well one week ago tonight I drank a bottle of wine, didn't even feel or act drunk, but clearly I must have been because the next day was the worst I felt in a long long time.
Glad to be in a much better place right now and to be here with all of you
Old 03-20-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

And good luck LS! I'm sure you will do great
Great job dumping the vodka ladybug. I know you were like me, doing the whole hiding and drinking thing at home a lot, so having it in the house is like playing with fire. I have an empty bottle of wine in my bedroom closet right now. Yuck.
Lets go enjoy a night of precious sober sleep! Sleep and waking up feeling great are two of my biggest motivators to stay sober.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

FABL- Enjoy your night of peaceful sober sleep I wish that I could offer you some useful advice about the toxic ex-boyfriend, but I am pretty clueless about these situations. I do think that you are very strong for fighting the dual battle of alcoholism and ending a negative relationship. I also hid bottles of booze all over my house in the strangest places...then I would forget where they were and feel like crap when I discovered my stashes. I am really grateful that those days are over!

Gleefan- Thanks for your support. Hoping that "mommy brain" is not a permanent condition.

I went to a kettleball class tonight and actually had a great time! I think this may be the beginning of a positive lifestyle change. Good night Febbies!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hugs to you too Ladybug.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Some great wisdom in here today. Thanks all
G
Old 03-20-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Morning All,

Last night was needed. Got me out of the house. Had a good dinner (actually only soup/salad) because this morning is the last weigh-in for my wife in her 2-mo pound down challenge. She's done great, hit her first goal (135lbs pre-marriage) weight and then took it to 130lbs in the last 10-days. She looks like a different person, ~23lb weight loss in 60-days. Of course, less than 1K calories a day and 6-days/wk of 1.5hr gym sessions obviously helped. Cards was normal last night, meaning typical club play with same people. I actually finished 3rd place out of 20-22 people. It was nice to go after taking a ~6-wk absence. It's Friday, so hope everyone is putting plans together for tonight/this weekend. My wife and I may go to dinner with some friends to celebrate the end to their pound down challenge.

Gleefan, yes we've been at it awhile. It's amazing to think today is 47-days and 7-wks will be here this Sunday. Like anything I guess, the longer you do it, the quicker the days seem to add up although from day-to-day sometimes it doesn't seem that way. I survived this week, which is a good thing. Everything hit all at once, or should I say was building for a few weeks. I reformatted my brain and got me back on track. Lots of fragments and unused brain space found and had to get them all aligned again.

P.S. Few days ago, my wife said my facial skin looked better and I look younger. I don't have the same baggy eyes. I bet a lot of changes are occurring for most of us.

Challenge For Everyone: LET'S NOT LOSE ANYONE THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Delphine, At this point, on both fronts (alcohol and this relationship) I think it will just take time and mind/thought control. My mind can convince me to drink just as easily as it can convince me that he's perfect for me. When lately all either if them have done is let me down and hurt me. Years ago when I was living with that same ex I would hide bottles everywhere, it was awful. Now, strangely, when I drink I hide it from my kids. I just hate the example that it sets but hiding it is probably even worse I know.
What is a kettleball class? Sounds like fun

Briggsy, sounds like you had a nice night, you deserve it. It is amazing how time builds and it's so freeing when it becomes part of your lifestyle to NOT drink. Sounds like you are getting to that point.
. I LOVE that challenge Briggsy! Let's get through this weekend with no slips. I know I will need you all desperately this weekend. I sooo want to have a healthy and productive spring break this week. The alternative sucks and scares the crap out of me. Lately I feel like my mind and my life are split in half: sober and mentally and physically healthy and improving, or drinking and feeling like crap in every way. Nothing good comes of drinking, EVER!
Old 03-21-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

FABL- I was really wanting to contact my toxic guy last night but thankfully I managed to talk myself out of it. I totally understand. My life is so much more hopeful without him yet I miss him like crazy sometimes.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Briggsy - I totally understand your frustrations with the AF, my husband is AF too, he's 14 years in, so 6 more to go for us. I've harbored a lot of resentment over the years as it relates to the military, for sure. Glad you had a good night out, congrats on 47 days, that is awesome!!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good job everyone and keep it up!

Thanks for helping me bounce back. By the end of the week now, both physically and emotionally, I don't feel I like ever slipped. So, as a point of encouragement, it really matters if you get yourself right back here the next day. It's something that I have been unable to do in the past. And I know how you felt FABL. Please don't get down on yourself and feel like that.

Furthermore, I know it is important and even crucial to open up and get the support we need, but ultimately we need to focus hard on ourselves as individuals too. Everyone has a different struggle and we're not all experiencing the same level of addiction and pressure in life.

I have many goals such as being a super father and as-best-as-I-can-be husband. But a very critical goal of mine is to eradicate this poison for the rest of my life, for when it is time for me to back-things-down professionally and eventually retire, I will be able to enjoy myself and my family without looking over my shoulder.

If I retired right now, I doubt I would make it another 10 years. I don't think I have a strong enough will right now to have that free time on my hands and avoid alcohol.

Well, a busy day ahead, but I thought I would just express my thoughts for the day.

Stay Strong Febbies....

I'm Neverthought, checking in, Thanks for coming!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Happy Friday everyone,

So, today is another test, but I am feeling strong. My husband is gone all day on business so I have the house to myself. He'll be home around dinner time, though, so thankfully it isn't an overnight trip. I know I should be doing this for myself, and I am, but I'd be lying if I said my daughter and hubby weren't big motivators for me to stay sober. He seemed a bit worried before he left this morning. Don't blame him since I just slipped. It is a beautiful day so I am going to spend it doing fun things with my daughter. I will be sober and alert when he comes home to tell me how his annual review went. Just wish I could fast forward to 30+ days again. The first month always seems to drag.

Congrats to everyone on their sober days. And, if you slipped, just come right back and start over. No judgement here from the Febbies. NT is right - coming right back, instead of letting a slip turn into a binge, is critical.

Will be checking in all day. Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday. Let's keep each other strong and sober this weekend!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delphine View Post
I also hid bottles of booze all over my house in the strangest places...then I would forget where they were and feel like crap when I discovered my stashes. I am really grateful that those days are over!
Ha, this was me too, Delphine. I would wake up in a panic not remembering where I hid the previous nights bottle and worried that hubby would find it I love the freedom that sobriety brings. No more worry, anxiety, shame, self loathing and most of all, no hangovers! Scary how us alcoholics know and like all of the wonderful benefits of not drinking, yet we still want to do it. Ugh, it really is a baffling disease and something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hiding bottles wasn't my concern, but I seriously would wrap them in junk mail or newspapers so they wouldn't clink so much when the trash man pick up my garbage. How stupid is that?!? I his it from the trash man!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
Happy Friday everyone,

So, today is another test, but I am feeling strong. My husband is gone all day on business so I have the house to myself. He'll be home around dinner time, though, so thankfully it isn't an overnight trip. I know I should be doing this for myself, and I am, but I'd be lying if I said my daughter and hubby weren't big motivators for me to stay sober. He seemed a bit worried before he left this morning. Don't blame him since I just slipped. It is a beautiful day so I am going to spend it doing fun things with my daughter. I will be sober and alert when he comes home to tell me how his annual review went. Just wish I could fast forward to 30+ days again. The first month always seems to drag.

Congrats to everyone on their sober days. And, if you slipped, just come right back and start over. No judgement here from the Febbies. NT is right - coming right back, instead of letting a slip turn into a binge, is critical.

Will be checking in all day. Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday. Let's keep each other strong and sober this weekend!
Also, people, don't get caught up with numbers. I'm not doing this anymore. I also would say, I wish I was back at 80 days or something. It's like saying I wish 5 years would go by and I will be financially free. There are a lot of great things what will happen between now and 5 years.

Let's not wish our days away. Again, though, let me emphasize, that I do this!

But that is on my bucket list on this journey. Let's enjoy our family and our health each and every day.

Thanks for mentioning that, LB. I'm not telling anyone how to go about their ways either. I'm basically saying, take some pressure off and enjoy (1) day at a time. Our young children our going to be teens in a "blink of an eye" - metaphor.