Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 6

Old 03-30-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tornrealization View Post
Yes, I neglected a lot of stuff too. Lately I've been trying to conquer some of that. Clean more, taxes, etc.

Went to a belated St. Patricks day party. Guys talking about beers, yawn, and the ladies talked about kids. I just felt out of place. Thing is, booze would not have made it better. I would feel that way with booze. My minty cheesecake bars where a hit.

A couple hours later some more friends showed up who I really enjoy so things went from awkward to enjoyable. Overall a good night.

I drove hubby and BIL home. They had four or five beers. I usually would resent the DD role, even when I was sober. I wasn't angry about it tonight. I did make mention this is not a new perk to rely on to hubby. I'm surprised I didn't stew in anger. This sober attempt feels different in a good way.

Glee, good to hear your relationships are improving without the booze. I wonder if it was the AV telling you no one would want to in invite you to things because you are sober. Sounds like AV was trying to trick you and make you feel bad.

Now just waiting around at home, have to do some work tonight. Something I usually played with fire by slowing down my drinks until work time. Instead completely sober. Confident. No worrying tomorrow if I did the work wrong. I no longer want to play with fire with my job. I like my job.
Very nice update TR. You're definitely exuding confidence!

Life is a job too and it's about finding our niche. We have to find ways to be productive that will give a sense of accomplishment. I love cheesecake and mint. I never had the two together...glad it was a hit.

Mint chocolate chip ice-cream is a favorite of mine....I don't know anyone else that likes it though?

Well, have a nice day TR and again, thanks for checking in on me the other night....little things like that go a long way.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
In my experience golf outings are kind of like travel hockey tournaments - about drinking above all else. Who are you going with? Know do they drink? I'm no longer taking people up on invitations to stay sober while everyone else drinks all day.
I would agree with that assessment.

We play every year. Last year, we drank some beers playing golf....then played some cards afterwards. Everyone drank, but it was pretty social. I'm going with my brothers and a few of my brother's friends that I know pretty well.

I started drinking Beam and coke and cleaned up playing cards. I don't want to come off as arrogant, but my mind become super clear and sharp when I drink. Then everyone got tired, but I could have played until the sun came up. Everyone was pretty amazed because a bunch of the guys arrived late the night before I we ended staying up until like 4:30 in the morning.

I don't have any problems being around others when they are drinking when I am abstaining though. A few colleagues and myself go out for lunch every Friday and they drink like 3 beers a piece and I drink water. My triggers are at home, because like I mentioned last week or so, I have that history and pattern of play-time and drinking.

I think I have ADD. I've mentioned this on SR in the past. Many, many times my wife would ask if I drank about 3 or 4 cups of coffee (it was really vodka). I'll be really spun and talking a mile an hour.

I'm in a good place right now and in the future "hopefully"....but thanks for bringing this up!!
Old 03-30-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DiggingIn View Post
I love the diverse nature of this class. Thanks for accepting me. I studied psychology in college. My degree is actually in social work. I have an intact, loving family but the relationship with my sister was not perfect. I believe I just have an addictive personality. Looking back I recognize all the times a transferred one addiction for another.
My degree is in psychology and once upon a time (pre-marriage and kids) I was a software consultant. Random, huh? My parents are great, still married, I have one sister who I am not close to at all. We haven't communicated in years, it was no big fight or anything, we are just very different and have never really had much of a sisterly relationship.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Regarding the talk of feeling different, I completely relate. My story is that I am an introvert, and have social anxiety. It is weird though b/c I have no problem talking to strangers, am very friendly when I'm out and about, it's more about people I know a little better, like with acquaintances and neighbors and such, I just don't know how to get to know people better, I always feel like I'm on the outside looking in, etc. I think I come off sometimes as stuck up, when really I just feel intense awkwardness, fear of saying something stupid so I don't say much, fear of rejection so I don't put myself out there... Years ago I drank to help loosen that stranglehold my anxiety had over me, it enabled me to speak up, be funny, engage people, etc. Of course at some point that all changed, I was no longer charming and witty, I was slurring and stumbling, but that connection in my brain between feeling anxious and wanting a drink will be there for awhile, I'm sure - b/c that was my solution for so long. I know now though, of course, that I need other ways to cope.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Neverthought View Post
I would agree with that assessment. We play every year. Last year, we drank some beers playing golf....then played some cards afterwards. Everyone drank, but it was pretty social. I'm going with my brothers and a few of my brother's friends that I know pretty well. I started drinking Beam and coke and cleaned up playing cards. I don't want to come off as arrogant, but my mind become super clear and sharp when I drink. Then everyone got tired, but I could have played until the sun came up. Everyone was pretty amazed because a bunch of the guys arrived late the night before I we ended staying up until like 4:30 in the morning. I don't have any problems being around others when they are drinking when I am abstaining though. A few colleagues and myself go out for lunch every Friday and they drink like 3 beers a piece and I drink water. My triggers are at home, because like I mentioned last week or so, I have that history and pattern of play-time and drinking. I think I have ADD. I've mentioned this on SR in the past. Many, many times my wife would ask if I drank about 3 or 4 cups of coffee (it was really vodka). I'll be really spun and talking a mile an hour. I'm in a good place right now and in the future "hopefully"....but thanks for bringing this up!!
I'm glad you understood that I was asking out of concern for your well being. I feel like I can handle social drinking while abstaining, but I do get a smidgen nostalgic for drinking. If I were in the mental place where I was Friday evening, and at the event where I was Saturday night, the temptation might have been too much.

I was asked to help out at a golf fundraiser with a group of friends, and I had to decline because of the morning to night boozing associated with the event. I told them I couldn't get the day off from work.

Interesting note about adhd. I wonder if I have the inattentive type, and if it's the reason for my anxiety. All I can do is try to improve my life.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

It's interesting how many of us feel like outsiders.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by SleepyDots View Post
Regarding the talk of feeling different, I completely relate. My story is that I am an introvert, and have social anxiety. It is weird though b/c I have no problem talking to strangers, am very friendly when I'm out and about, it's more about people I know a little better, like with acquaintances and neighbors and such, I just don't know how to get to know people better, I always feel like I'm on the outside looking in, etc. I think I come off sometimes as stuck up, when really I just feel intense awkwardness, fear of saying something stupid so I don't say much, fear of rejection so I don't put myself out there... Years ago I drank to help loosen that stranglehold my anxiety had over me, it enabled me to speak up, be funny, engage people, etc. Of course at some point that all changed, I was no longer charming and witty, I was slurring and stumbling, but that connection in my brain between feeling anxious and wanting a drink will be there for awhile, I'm sure - b/c that was my solution for so long. I know now though, of course, that I need other ways to cope.

That is me. I test and am considered Extrovert might be only difference. Strangers and temporary settings are easy. I chat, ask questions, help others. But when it comes to meeting friends of friends, new family, people who I know I'll be around more and care about their opinions I get all awkward. It does come off badly for me, but after a few times, they realize I'm nice just as anyone else. I'm not presenting a cold shoulder, I just don't know what to say.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is keeping it sober today.

I've been busy in the kitchen. I cooked some good ahead for this week, plus I'm making a corned beef and cabbage dinner - a few weeks late, I realize, but we were at hockey tourneys leading up to St. Pats weekend.

And now for the UConn game.....
Old 03-30-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Hey people, I'm having really strong cravings for a cold beer right now. I've been working in the yard and that is totally the trigger. Hopefully it will pass soon. Before I cave. I don't want to lose 56 days.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

You can fight this Shannon.

Play your tape through to the end. If you take a drink you have a lot to lose.

Take some deep breaths. Take a minute. Are you hungry, angry, lonely, or tired (halt)? Would a snack or glass of water help?

Can you visualize yourself unwinding a different way?

Or picture your Febbies helping you fight the urge off?
Old 03-30-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keithurbanfan View Post
Hey people, I'm having really strong cravings for a cold beer right now. I've been working in the yard and that is totally the trigger. Hopefully it will pass soon. Before I cave. I don't want to lose 56 days.
Think about how you feel after drinking versus how you'll feel staying strong and not drinking. You can fight this.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

I made it! The craving is gone. My husband and I are making dinner and I'm gonna be ok. Thanks for your support.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keithurbanfan View Post
I made it! The craving is gone. My husband and I are making dinner and I'm gonna be ok. Thanks for your support.
We all knew you could! Nicely done.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LonelyShadow View Post
Yeah it's great how everything becomes a bit brighter and the world just sort of opens out once your sober, it's like a more subtle high that being drunk but it's much, much cleaner. Waking with energy and enthusiasm is what I've gained most out of sobriety, I wake naturally early every morning ready to go out there and attack life with zeal and vigor! I need to keep reminding myself that one sip of alcohol can completely destroy that.
LS .. I could have written that myself, it's exactly how I feel. With sobriety, the simple pure pleasures come back: a good nights sleep, coffee in the morning, my children's laughter, an organized home, regular exercise, and sometimes just the feeling of accomplishment of
doing things right.
Keithurbanfan: So glad to hear your cravings have passed, they always do, we just need to give them a chance.

I just keep reminding myself that all the good things I mentioned above disappear with even one drink. Haven't been on much this weekend, but I realize that I always feel better mentally when I check in here and read in SR regularly.
When I'm sober all aspects of my life fall into place. I can't believe my addiction when it tells me that I can have a drink or two. Because maybe it would only be a few drinks but slowly but surely it escalates and I little by little all that good stuff disappears.
It never ceases to amaze me how we are still inclined to desire something that causes such little pleasure (it's temporary and not even that great anymore) yet so much pain.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Shannon I'm glad you fought off the evil AV. Our first year is going to be filled with so many firsts or triggers. My husband is going to grill for the first time tonight. How about that romantic drink with it. Playing tape . . . 1/2 in the bag before grill is ready. 3/4 while cooking. Either really tipsy or beginning of blackout. Food hits the spot for the wrong reasons. Body wants to eat. Tastes are destroyed from booze. Continue to drink until late or passed out. Feel like crap in the morning and wasted a tasty dinner and whatever else I forgot about.

Finally a nice day. We went for a walk and got stuff for the grills. Had a nice cream. Relaxing now prepping dinner. The longer we get away from drinks and
Experience things sober, the better it becomes. It is a fight. Today was a good day. I know we still have many challenges ahead.

NT and Glee I think I can't be around boozefests right now. I know my husband is going to a couple beerfests. I usually go although I am not really into beer, kinda gross. I am skipping those kind of things. However there seems to be booze every weekend to endure. I had become an isolated home drinker to reduce people seeing the crazy. So far, triggers are home and that all inclusive (way too early to have gone to that) . I hope after a year, I have experienced everything without booze and year two goes way better.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
LS .. I could have written that myself, it's exactly how I feel. With sobriety, the simple pure pleasures come back: a good nights sleep, coffee in the morning, my children's laughter, an organized home, regular exercise, and sometimes just the feeling of accomplishment of
doing things right.
Keithurbanfan: So glad to hear your cravings have passed, they always do, we just need to give them a chance.

I just keep reminding myself that all the good things I mentioned above disappear with even one drink. Haven't been on much this weekend, but I realize that I always feel better mentally when I check in here and read in SR regularly.
When I'm sober all aspects of my life fall into place. I can't believe my addiction when it tells me that I can have a drink or two. Because maybe it would only be a few drinks but slowly but surely it escalates and I little by little all that good stuff disappears.
It never ceases to amaze me how we are still inclined to desire something that causes such little pleasure (it's temporary and not even that great anymore) yet so much pain.
Me too, FABL. The mornings are so great the. AV comes out to play. Crazy, right? I'm glad to hear from you.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tornrealization View Post
Shannon I'm glad you fought off the evil AV. Our first year is going to be filled with so many firsts or triggers. My husband is going to grill for the first time tonight. How about that romantic drink with it. Playing tape . . . 1/2 in the bag before grill is ready. 3/4 while cooking. Either really tipsy or beginning of blackout. Food hits the spot for the wrong reasons. Body wants to eat. Tastes are destroyed from booze. Continue to drink until late or passed out. Feel like crap in the morning and wasted a tasty dinner and whatever else I forgot about. Finally a nice day. We went for a walk and got stuff for the grills. Had a nice cream. Relaxing now prepping dinner. The longer we get away from drinks and Experience things sober, the better it becomes. It is a fight. Today was a good day. I know we still have many challenges ahead. NT and Glee I think I can't be around boozefests right now. I know my husband is going to a couple beerfests. I usually go although I am not really into beer, kinda gross. I am skipping those kind of things. However there seems to be booze every weekend to endure. I had become an isolated home drinker to reduce people seeing the crazy. So far, triggers are home and that all inclusive (way too early to have gone to that) . I hope after a year, I have experienced everything without booze and year two goes way better.
Torn, I enjoy your posts because they echo what I'm going through. You are spot on about this being a year of "firsts." It feels like I can't get away from events that involve booze. I'm not going to total booze fears, though.

Like you, I mostly drank at home towards the end. That wasn't because I had the good sense to hide my hot mess, it was just because I didn't want silly things like driving and talking coherently to others to get in the way of my buzz. When I did go out, once I took that first drink, there was no stopping me. Being at a booze fest is triggering. Case in point, my slip 36 days ago. It didn't land me in the hospital like yours, but it was bad, and like you, it scared me.

Yet! I still long for the good ole days where I could stop at one? That thinking exasperates me. Why would I hold any fondness for something that took me so close to the edge?

Why does everything seem to revolve around drinking?! And how do I change that?
Old 03-30-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

I rarely drank more than two drinks while away from home. Definitely I was a home drinker. . . the wine temporarily quelled the anxiety, but of course the next morning the anxiety was only worse.

Off work this week. In the past I would have spent the week in a vicious circle of depression/anxiety followed by drinking followed worsened depression/anxiety followed by more drinking. . .
Old 03-30-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been away sick guys - I will catch up eventually but for now it's time for a new thread

Join us here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-6-a.html

D