Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 29

Old 03-13-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Dear Toots, congratulation of your One Year Clean and Sober achievement! I am a bit pressed today, but I did read blog #6, the story that you wrote yesterday. Agreed, there really wasn't much all that significant about that day a year ago. I'm guessing it was a day like many others that you were having. It was the emptiness in your heart and not any real negative consequences that resonated. You were born with a heart that is too big, too caring, too silly, too compassionate for life to put up with that drinking nonsense even one day longer. Thank you for your thoughtful insight, inspiration, and great sense of humor. My life is for sure richer since I met you on SR. Enjoy the peace and serenity today offers, free from the bondage of alcoholic obsession. You earned it, sweetie!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Tanja, I hope you feel better today. Enjoy your service!

Welcome, Aarrychka!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Tanja if you look at my details next to my post it will say 'blogs' at the bottom with the number 6 click on the six and away you go! I re read my first blog yesterday, to see if it gave any hint that I knew I was ready to quit properly, but it was a bit confused, although I was 2 days sober, I think I was still being affected by the drink or withdrawals! At one point it seems to be missing a bit so it doesn't make great sense.
I'm sorry you have been so poorly again. I'm sure once you mention insomnia, everyone has a favourite 'cure' I like to listen to my stop drinking app. The hypnotic Scottish burr of the guy just sends me off! If I wake in the wee small hours it's usually because I have a lot going on at the time, so them it is usually a case of going with it, writing down what is in my head and hoping I will catch up. Sounds like yours is much more habitual so I totally empathise.

Carlos, it's not a whole year until tomorrow 14th March, not that I intend slipping between now and then mind! You are always such a sweetie, and say the nicest things. X

Gilmer, I take it you will be limiting your contact with us over the weekend the so as to knuckle down to your studies?? I'm sure the Mcstaff will miss you!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I will be stuck in bed, Toots. I am having some minor surgery tomorrow, so I will probably not be able to come to McD's--surgery time is 7 am. Don't know how I'll feel Saturday, though I'd darn well better feel all right because I've got to work at my son's school from 11-2 and bring chili for visiting judges at 5! (I signed up for the school event a month ago, never realizing it would conflict with my surgery). Working shouldn't be anything strenuous, and I can always order store-bought chili from Hard Times Café about 1/2 hour away. In fact, I think I'll plan on that.

Sunday will be a heavy cramming day.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Tanja- I hope you get to feeling better. I admire how you're always so kind and supportive to everyone even though you feel bad yourself quite a bit.

Carlos- Your short and increasingly sporadic posting is just not acceptable! I don't know what you're so busy doing, but it can't be that important. At least you've poked your head in the limerick thread.

Gilmer- I hope the surgery goes well for you. Planning to buy the chili sounds like just the thing.

Another day here. I've successfully cut back to one cup of caffeine a day, so that is progress.

My boyfriend was given pain pills yesterday. In the past I would have taken one or two (with his permission). I was always up for whatever high I could get and would try anything that came along on top of my 'normal' stuff. Not today. AV took the chance to stir a bit, but I really wasn't that affected by it.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

The Undies are such an inspiring group! I'm spending my lunch break today catching up with you.

Toots - Volunteering at an animal shelter sounds like very rewarding work. I hope they have a position for you. You are such a kind, positive force here on Undies. I'm looking forward to reading your blogs later to see how you maintained your focus on sobriety throughout the year, as I embark on Year 1. Congratulations!

Aarryckha - welcome! I'm a newbie to this group, too. You'll like it here.

Tanja - sorry you're not feeling well. I hope it turns around for you soon. Is it a Liberian opportunity or a librarian opportunity?

Gilmer - I'm envious that you're taking college classes - I miss learning new things and the sense of accomplishment of completing something challenging - but I can't imagine how you fit that in with being super mom. I mean, I can barely get dinner on the table, never mind bake sales and chili cook offs.

Carlos - Always supportive, positive, and upbeat. I love it!

DG - Great job steering clear of those pills. I wanted to tell you that in a post on the Feb 2014 thread last night I talked about "the person I want to be" - that's totally inspired by you. Also, I had a dilemma this morning; in addition to thinking about how the person I want to be would resolve it, I also took the time to ask myself what I wanted to achieve and whether my method would achieve that.

Courage - I also asked myself if it would create chaos in other peoples lives.

It goes to show that even when you post about yourself, you can have a long reaching and positive impact on someone else.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you do a great job of offering support Tanja - just sayin'

D
Old 03-13-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
p***enger

Tanja, I hope your meeting tonight was inspirational -- I agree with Dee that you offer a lot of great support here and are always very thoughtful of others, despite your own problems. I hope your sleep tonight is restful.

Gilmer, best wishes for an easy time through the surgery. I don't think any surgery is truly "minor" -- hey, a hangnail used to be an excuse for me to drink. You have a great attitude.

DG, I second Gleefan in congratulating you on avoiding your bf's pain meds. You just keep doing the right thing -- I really admire that.

Gleefan, great post as usual. I'm so glad we have some new regulars among the Undies, especially since Toots is getting all growed up LOL. Soon she'll be too hoity-toity for the likes of us

Toots -- if you neglect us Undies once you turn 1 YEAR SOBER, I'll crash the overies party and upset all your teacups!

Soberjim, WWG, Babs, Elseware, Carlos, BF, Siesta, Drake and Dotty & Steve -- Have a great night! 28 minutes on my clock until Toots' big day!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
p***enger

Toots you now have one year sober East Coast Time! You're in the right zone in every sense!

Here are the Beatles to wish you a Happy Sober Birthday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztoSUhbNntQ

Old 03-13-2014, 11:27 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Happy one year soberversary, Toots!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Live easy but think first

Still alive... still kicking. So tired. Good night, all!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Toots my dear friend

Many congratulations on one year sober. How fantastic is that? I always knew you could do it and I'm so proud of you. xxxxx

Lots of love to you

Grace xxx
Old 03-14-2014, 12:51 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

Sorry again to be away for so long, this time it was out of my control.

A certain person cut right through our Virgin Media Cable, leaving us with no land line or Intenet for a week!! It's been like living in the dark ages!
I don't do internet from my mobile as I find the writing too small what with being half blind and very old and all that.

I'll be back later for a catch up.

All my love

Grace xxx
Old 03-14-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're back Grace

D
Old 03-14-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,

Well, I felt like doing some Undie catch-up early this morning. Not certain why it felt so compelled? Oh, Hi DG!!

Gracie, so nice to see you! How is hubby doing? So you have been victomized by Jack "cable-guy" the ripper. Glad it is repaired and we can be updated on Gracieland.

Toots,
one year
no beer
less fear
still eats steer
still acts queer (odd)
smaller rear (just guessing here, honest, no booze and working out)
new frontier
new career
congrats, my dear

Tanja, you silly goose, anyone looking for support in any corner of the world will have just won the lottery to have you as their mentor in sobriety. I wonder if it might be possible to look into sleep study programs? You are so close to NIH, they must be studying insomnia in recovering alkies? Anyway, just a thought.

GF, hum, Boston area. I assume Bruins fan? Well my dear, we (the Pen's) are ready for you this year. So what's the wager? On the alkie front...my step book meeting last night was step 10 and if you have that book, a read of like pgs 91-93 might offer a detailed perspective on an alkie's rationale for confrontation.

Gilmer, my best to you with your surgery today. Don't overdue it now. Remember, we alkie's are human, though we might feel quite differently, especially during active addiction. Can you consider going home to rest and have Hard Times just deliver the chili?
קל עושה את זה

Courage, sorry about the loss of your co-worker. Yes, life is short and can be snatched away at a moments notice. Hey, my saving grace is that if my # is called today I will register 0.0 on the breathalyzer meter. Tomorrow may be a different story, but not happening today.

Hi BF. Hope today is a better womp womp. How goes the dogie training? Time for a new pic of that beautiful area you live in.

SJ, glad you are feeling positive and busy. Hope some warmer weather hits your area soon.

Dax, congrats on blowing thru the mid 40's clean and sober.

Siesta, very cool pic of Elvis! Enjoy burning up some asphalt today.

Babs, how are you doing following your lull last week?

Drake and Stevie, time for a more detailed update.

MB, thinking about you every day and sending you my bestes positive vibes, sweetie! Please let us know how things are going.

DG, my dear, that AV might just as well been the top of one of your drums as you pounded it into submission. Hey ZG, (my new name for you, Zen Girl), what is today's new good habit? I'm back, just completed mine. !0 push-ups, 10 sit-ups and 10 squats. Felt good, got my blood flowing. Think I'll incorporate that one as soon as I get out of bed each day. Lastly, thanks for the kick in the butt!

Yesterday I had this business meeting that was 2.5 hrs from home. Thought about staying overnight and hit the morning meeting I have today that was about half way in between. Decided to come home instead. Actually drove an extra 30 minutes past my house to hit a Thursday AA/NA combo mtg that I hadn't hit in quite a while that I really enjoy.

After the mtg I tell this dude sitting next to me that I enjoyed his share and it was nice to see him again. Earlier, during the mtg I ended my share by welcoming a young woman and her bf who was there to support her at her first meeting, offering among other things that I've heard often in my 9 months that meeting makers make it, so keep coming back.

So this dude follows my comments to him with, "there is nowhere in the big book that says that meeting makers make it" and "I go to at least 5 meetings a week and I never see you". He is still not finished taking MY inventory when he follows it with what I really need to do is "get a sponsor and start working the steps".

I was just about at wits end and about to set this tight ars old-timer strait by telling him that I in fact go to at least 5 meetings a week (he lives in another city from me), I do have a sponsor and am working the steps when something pulled me back.

That would have gone against everything we just discussed in the meeting. Why is it important to be justifiably right and set him strait? I'll be honest here, I still don't know the answer. Just writing this again gave him space in my head. I still want to ream this dude out, and I still don't know why I need to win that confrontation? Wow, what a great test this has created in my sober growth. I will let you know the outcome when I finally figure something concrete out.

My last point about last nights meeting. The entire chapter on step 10 did not mention drinking or not drinking one time. Blew me away. What a great testament to the fact that drinking is but a symptom of my disease.

Have a great start to your weekend, Undies. Hey, no drinking or using, okay?

Carlos xx
Old 03-14-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Toots, I knew there was a reason for me to check in this morning. Your 1 year birthday !!! CONGRATULATIONS.

You're one of us ! Nothing changes much after a year except people are much more accustomed to you being a non-drinker, they finally stop offering just one drink.

You deserve the best, you've been the best supporter on this thread, sweet and king, with always the right things to say.

I never did end up on the overies thread but perhaps now that you're going over there, I'll pop in once in a while.

Happy one year Toots. Many félicitations et bonne continuation !

xoxoxoxo
Old 03-14-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Happy 1 year sober-versary Toots!

I enjoyed your blog entry about your year of sobriety.

Enjoy the day!!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Toots!!!!.

HAPPY ONE YEAR.....

I wish I had a really neat picture to insert, sadly I am not a technically adept person.

I want to say....congratulations on this milestone.....it is a huge accomplishment.

Also, your support to others on SR is what makes this such a great place...You have been there offering support many times.....I am very thankful to you....

Jim
Old 03-14-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies.

Toots - CONGRATULATIONS ON WHOLE YEAR OF SOBRIETYI couldn't be happier for you! You have been such a bedrock of support, kindness and wisdom to us all. I hope you have great plans for the day to really celebrate this momentous milestone in style Your post on your one year of sobriety was eloquent and quite inspirational.

Gilmer - Here's hoping that your surgery goes well and you feel fine by Saturday. Thank you so much for the well wishes on feeling better. As it turns out I didn't make my service obligation. I decided to take another day to rest. As it turns out, I think it was a wise decision.

DG - Thank you so much for your kindness. I have the utmost respect for your strength in all areas of your life. I can't even conceive of tackling four addictions simultaneously. Many hearty belated Congratulations on 11 months of freedom from the bondage of alcohol. Kudos to you for not giving in to the nasty AV on fleeting thoughts of taking BF's pills.

Gleefan - Thank you for concern. It was Liberian. There was an opportunity to offer support to AA members in Liberia. I suppose as potential temporary sponsors. I never did hear back about that opportunity. I believe it is a pretty impoverished country.

Dee - Thank you so much for your kind words. It really means a lot coming from someone I have the utmost respect for. Every day I read your new saying "It's a new day. Expect Great things". Just reading it cheers me up, gives me hope and changes my thinking.

Courage - Thank you for your kind comments and support. I am definitely hitting a meeting today! My last meeting was on Sunday and it feels like forever.

Carlos - As always Thank you so much for the kind words. The comments by the old timer in the meeting sound way out of line to me. Did he make these comments during the meeting? God bless you for rising above it. It would appear this fella has some righteous anger. Not a good sign for a recovering alcoholic or a good example to newcomers. I am sure you will find the right way to settle this outcome.

Wishing everyone a wonderful TGIF!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Tanja, thank you, I add my words to everyone here, knowing that you have a difficult -and hectic- life at home and with health, I always count it a blessing to see a post here from you knowing it will be filled with love support and wisdom. You touch more hearts than you ever realise.

Courage- The Beatles singing just for me! Wow!! Thank you. I hear that explosion was worse than first thought, I hope you didn't know anyone else involved.
We went to the 9/11 memorial when we were in New York. I hadn't planned to, I find these things a bit mawkish, ( on a tour of Paris we were driven down the tunnel Di was killed,in -er why??) but as it was part of a guided tour I went in. It was very humbling and rather beautiful, those pools, with all the names around them. Every name had loved ones who knew, loved and missed them.

SJ, neat pictures are lovely, but just seeing you wee puffin lightens any day for me because it me and you are trill here and still fighting. And I will always be in your corner.

Carlos, yes! The rear has shrunk, it no longer needs it's own Zipcode, just a wide load sign now! I don't feel you are wanting to win a competition against this guy, I feel you are wanting to point out the injustice in what he said. None of us like to feel wronged. What I feel you have to do is accept that his words are to do with his issues, obviously unresolved. Perhaps he hit a nerve in that you almost didn't bother, but went to the meeting, only to be accused of not attending, but you are strong in your resolve towards your sobriety, and too big a man to let his words bother you. Let it go.

DG, well done on recognising that old habits may die hard, but the do die. You have made such huge changes in your sobriety, something like that would have really stayed in your head in the early days, now look!

Thank you GF, and thank you for being a supportive member of the thread, it's lovely to have you here.

Well done on touching base here Dax, I know you have lots going on, so we don't expect long posts, but if you need to talk, do. How are things at home with your wife's meds? Are you feeling more comfortable in knowing they're locked away?

Gilmer, I hope the surgery goes (went?) well. Even local anaesthetic can take it out of you, so don't be too stoic to cry off if you feel unwell.

Dottie I have to go to the Overies, just because I can! But this is home to me and always will be. Perhaps we need to change our name to 2years and Under!! by 2 years I just might be ready to fly the nest... Then again..

Dee, thank you for your constant support, you make such a difference in so few words ( I think I got your share when they were dishing them out!)

Grace, good to see you back in the digital age! And thank you for those lovely words on your thread.

And thank you also to those whom have posted on my birthday thread, what a thing to wake up to! I'm amazed and thrilled to know so many people care about me, as much as I care about them.
Happy Sober Friday everyone.