Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 29

Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 501 (permalink)  
Live easy but think first

7:15am... 24 more
Old 04-07-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 502 (permalink)  

Greetings Undies... the Overs are fine, some I know from here some from chat and other threads. But once an Undie... you know

Didn't do much special, a low key day really. But was so incredible to think I actually did it.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 503 (permalink)  
p***enger

Dax, how are you doing? If it's a hard day, just keep facing forward and let those hours pass -- they have a way of doing that, without a drug or a drink! (( ))
Old 04-07-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 504 (permalink)  

Hi everyone..I am here just not posting a lot .....

Toots..thanks for the update on Grace....
Old 04-07-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 505 (permalink)  
p***enger

Good to see you Jim! How are you feeling?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 506 (permalink)  

oh good lord---it's not even noon and the AV is knocking at my door. UGH
Babs
Old 04-07-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 507 (permalink)  

Drake - Many belated congratulations one whole year of sobriety What a tremendous accomplishment. I hope you and Olive celebrated this momentous occasion in high style!

Toots - Thank you so much for posting about Grace. I had no doubts about her sobriety. I am just so sorry to hear about her Dad. She is such a wonderful daughter. She certainly has a lot on her plate with both her husband and her Dad. Sending prayers her way.

Dee - Congratulations on 7 years of sobriety! As always, you serve as such an inspiration and kind loving support to us all.

DG - I am so happy to hear that you are feeling more positive. Just one day at hand and you will be celebrating one year of sobriety. You are one amazing woman!

Matt - My dear friend, thank you so much for posting such lovely thoughts about me. I gain such strength and inspiration from your posts.

Courage - Thank you so much for sending healing thoughts my way. This week has been pretty rough. I haven't been to an AA meeting in 8 days now and it feels like forever. My topic for the meeting on sunday was to be about being powerless over alcohol and maintaining a spiritually fit condition. Unfortunately, I felt to ill to make it. Hopefully, my doctor's appointment tomorrow will provide some relief.

Wishing everyone a happy and sober day!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 508 (permalink)  
p***enger

Babs, get busy! Are you at home? Grab a pint of ice cream and get out the vacuum cleaner!

((Babs)), I know it's awful -- I remember days when I'd get out the vacuum cleaner, and then have to curl up in a fetal position for half an hour, before I could get it together enough to plug the sucker in! I'd take like 6 showers a day because it helped with the shaking and sweats.

Baby steps, and hugs!!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 509 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Undies.

I've popped in to say that I am still alive and sober, and exercising, and boxing. Still feel mostly low so it's quite challenging for me to post now.

I would like to congrats Drake on one year and our awesome Dee on 7 years! So so happy for you guys!

Best wishes to all the Undies.

See you)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 510 (permalink)  

I had to attend my wife's sisters wedding the weekend just gone and when we arrived the day before the wedding I was told I'd be staying in a house with all the men....All of these men were my old drinking buddies and as I was sat there nursing mineral water they were all smashing pint after pint of beer into themselves....I'll admit I was jealous and made my excuses and went to bed early...

The day of the wedding was just as bad....As soon as they were married it was off to the reception and it was held in a pub.....I wanted a drink so so bad and it resulted in me and my wife arguing as she knew I didn't want to be in that situation in the first place....I didn't even want to go to the wedding...

Anyways although I wanted a drink so bad I managed to stay sober.....Even after 1 year and 4 months (Today is my sober anniversary) it was still so so hard....

I guess this can act as a little warning to me and maybe to the rest of you that we can never ever get complacent in our recovery.....

I hope everyone is well.....Take care.....Steve.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 511 (permalink)  
p***enger

Stevie, thanks. I'm glad you stayed sober and grateful for your reminder. I hope you're ok today. I find that the day or two after a particularly stressful time is bad too -- like the AV get roused. Let's all stay not-complacent together, OK?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 512 (permalink)  

I'm at work right now courage. so, I will be fine till i go home. But, when I start thinking this early in the day about stopping that's a bad sign for me.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 513 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Stevie - glad to see you and great sober job!

I had some cravings for wine today - just wanted to get this "dumb" feeling. It passed, though.

Courage - Count me in your non-complacent club)
Old 04-07-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 514 (permalink)  
p***enger

Midnight, great to see you posting! We need you around here -- a lot of us Undies need you to lend us some strength -- I know you don't always feel it, but I also know you've got it!!!

Babs, I'm sure MB and Stevie both will join me in kicking the tar out of your AV. BTW, there's no such thing as a "bad sign" -- that's your AV trying to tell you that a drink is inevitable, like it's written in the stars. It most definitely is NOT. Be sure to get something to eat before you leave from work. We're all rooting for you!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 515 (permalink)  

oh I will and I"ve been munching like crazy---I'm a small person so, I'm not scared of a few pounds. Plus I will go out for a walk when I get home. thanks guys. I'm feeling better already. I can do this.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 516 (permalink)  

Stevie, great job at staying vigilant!

Babs, you've got this!

MB, great to see you. I joined the "Heaters" so it looks like we may cross paths there also.

Courage, thanks for all of the great advice support that you offer.

Tanja, thanks for checking in. Who is Matt?

SJ, good to see you posting too.

Looks like:
Undies - 100%
AV - 0%
Old 04-07-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 517 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

After a great deal of drama and hullabaloo, my husband has emerged the head coach of our son's hockey team. My husband felt he was better qualified than the individual who was originally chosen, and communicated such to the individual and the Board. The Board told him that he could reach out to the person named coach and offer to be an assistant. Case closed, done deal, and he accepted that decision. Well, a few weeks later it came to the board's attention that this guy had an ethical breach with a player's family. The Board listened to both parties explain what happened, and determined that my husband should share head coaching responsibilities with this guy. He wasn't having that, he quit, and sent a letter to the team, omitting my family and the one with whom there was an ethical breach, and told folks that my husband whined and complained and pushed him out of the position. Then, a family that is friendly with this dude proceeded to write nasty posts about my husband on Facebook, verbally confront both my husband and me at the hockey rink, and interrupt my Facebook posts with indirect and vague comments throughout the day.

The reason I'm telling you all this isn't just because I like the sound of my own voice, although to echo Courage's comment upthread, I guess I can't get enough of me ( ). I have been saying this throughout hubby's hockey drama, but, truly, I'm glad I'm sober. I've been able to support him. I didn't let those folks intimidate and bait me into reacting inappropriately. I am not adding to their drama.

Babs -- I'm sorry to read you are struggling with drinking. Post, post, post. Doing something as simple as posting forces your thoughts to change gears from get-a-drink-in-my-belly to remembering that you want to be a nondrinker. I've also read a suggestion to write a list to keep in an easily accessible place of the reasons why you don't drink. This is a place to put your deepest, darkest, most personally meaningful reasons. An AA meeting is always a great activity to replace going to the store and buying alcohol. I'm not a big fundamentalist AA'er. I don't go regularly and I don't even have a sponsor, yet even I always feel welcome at a meeting. Keep your head up.

Carlos -- My husband has taught my kids that they would be better off going shirtless than wear a Pen's jersey, just sayin'. UConn game tonight! That's the closest we have to professional sports in Connecticut. It's also hubby's alma mater.

Carlos and Toots -- thanks for your input about Needy. Yeah, I have concluded that allowing her to be intrusive was a way that I mistreated myself. I feel bad that she is overly attached to me and that I created her dependency due to my dysfunctional relationship patterns. Sigh. I need to work through the guilt I feel over wanting to cool things off without demonizing her (because I'm partly to blame for her expectations of me), but instead with advocating for what I need in a friendship. Y'all are the best sounding board.

Courage and Toots -- Not many signs of spring between you ladies here in CT, either. Makes my PreK curriculum "spring" super duper lame to not have stuff happening outside to back it up, although we did find one bug in our classroom last week, and I saw one robin this morning.

DG - You sound well. I've heard folks mention that you have a crush. Is it too early to ask what, if anything, that's all about?

Tanja - Sorry you've been ill. I thought of you last week at AA. Forgive me if I already posted this. I can't remember. There was a gentleman who was talking about how he had worked his AA and NA program during his prison sentence, which recently ended. His story was beautiful, of the help and hope that he felt during his incarceration. He was at the meeting because it's his sponsor's home group. I had sat next to his sponsor at one of my first meetings, by chance. He reached out to me with just the right amount of support and distance, so I felt safe and comfortable, as opposed to targeted or hit on, if that makes sense? He has some 20+ years of sobriety, is a businessman, and evidentially volunteers at the AA program at one of the state prisons. I thought of you because in my foggy memory you were working with prisoners. It was a nice bridge between my face to face support and my SR support, one of those moments of synchronicity.

Steve - The wedding sounds like a difficult situation. Thank you for sharing it though because it's a great reminder about how working your recovery can help derail complacency.

Gilmer, Drake, WWG, and all others - hello and all my best!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 518 (permalink)  

Tanja, I'm so sorry you've been ill. I hope you feel better soon.

GF, I think I understood correctly from your post that, after all the acrimony, your husband has finally emerged as the one head coach of the team. Good! The cream always rises to the top.

Courage, I am now forced to take an orientation class. I was supposed to take it as my first class, but it wasn't ready in time, so I've got it now. It's not enjoyable. I should have paid better attention to the trivia questions in the videos, because I got a B in the quizzes, which count for 35% of the grade. I did well in the class interaction thread, and I've got left a two page essay final exam and a book review of a difficult book with a heavily philosophical bent about how the Internet is bad news. Obviously I disagree!

I don't know how well I'm going to do on these last two items. I have a feeling that the old 4.0 is going out the window! With the Orientation class! Oh, well--I'm too vain, anyway. What matters is how much I learn and how much I enjoy it, not what numbers I put up.

It will take me 5 1/2 years to get my masters at this rate. My husband wants me to push on for my doctorate, so that some really pompous characters we know will be forced to call ditzy MOI "doctor!"

I doubt I'll be that interested by that point--and certainly not just so a couple of buttmunches would have to kiss my ring!

Let me just get through this Orientation course!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 519 (permalink)  
Administrator

we continue here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-30-a.html

D