Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 10

Old 03-10-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
Driver, you're a rare gem! Are you getting enough sleep at night at the hospital? I remember nurses always coming in to check vitals at night last time I was there. Plasmapheresis is fascinating. My mom had it (not for GBS but for TTP, if you're into acronyms), and I had no idea that it was possible to do what it does.
Attachment 21758
Funny LS, initially read that as "rare germ"! Thought, "well that's not very nice, but yeah, guess its true". Thanks.

Sleep is just OK, but man, just before the plasmapheresis (yes, fascinating to say least) they prep me with liquid Benadryl delivered intravenously...bye, bye. Such a weird feeling. Gone for 4 hours (nurses are so cool; let DW sneak in after hours and we sleep together during treatment).
Old 03-10-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'd happily send a contribution too, LS. Give us the address to the charity. Man, I got cold just looking at that picture. Being a Floridian, I don't even like getting near the windows when it is cold!

Happy belated Birthday, Driver although next year I'd pick a different venue if I were you. I have discovered that I like myself a lot more than I thought I did, too. It feels good.

JL, at least you haven't given up hope! I think the Wellbutrin should help you. Many years ago, I was on Paxil and I do not remember that as a time that I drank a lot.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

LS, Wow, like DD, I've been spoiled by warmth. I won't even jump into our pool in the winter when it is 70.

Driver, Happy Belated birthday. I totally agree with the prisoner angle with alcohol. I feel so much more free and alive now. Who knew? I wish I would have figured this out sooner but I really can't complain though.

JL, glad to see you are still trying. You will get there, and I really think this will be your year.

I'm really looking forward to this extra hour of daylight shifting to the evening.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

We are completely moved in, pictures are hung and the floors have been mopped. Not bad for three weeks and we still had tennis, softball, track, basketball, soccer, school and work. I am really warming up to this new house and I can see my husband is, too. It is much more updated compared to our previous rental. However, I have to wonder if (narcissistically) I like it more because of our things and pictures being in it. My husband reminded me that we both tend to be more laid back and easy to please than the average Joes. Both being the children of alcoholics (dysfunctional backgrounds), we tend to settle for less, where others wouldn't settle, so I guess time will tell if we decide to buy this home . . . .

Speaking of dysfunctional parents, mine are coming by this afternoon. They are travelling north and stopping by to see our new home. On the outset, this sounds nice, but it really stems from my mother's insecurities. She always has to make sure she has "the best" out of anyone she knows. When her sister bought a home years ago when my sister and I were teens, she would make us drive around for hours to different neighborhoods, guessing what her sister's house would look like, obviously very concerned that it would be as nice as or better than hers. (of course, it wasn't. My parents are multi-millionaires and none of the rest of us are that well-to-do.) I am finding myself very annoyed with them, too, because they would never "allow" anyone to stop by their home after just 3 weeks of moving in. Story of my life, as the pleaser child . . .
Old 03-10-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

BTW, we rented 12 Years a Slave and Nebraska this weekend. Both are emotionally wrenching, but excellent films. I highly recommend them.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hang in there JL. Next time you get the urge, try to post first. We are here for ya bud.

DD, saw Nebraska last week. Excellent movie. How about his wife!!?
Old 03-10-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wow, LS...can't even imagine that....being from CA and now CR....I have only "visited" the snow a couple of times. Hated it. Good for you! Hang in there, Driver...emotional growth is rapid, once sober. I have found that forgiving myself is the toughest part. Wow, nice job, DD! All that going on and you are still moved in! I can relate, though....my mom used to drive us around Beverly Hills....ugh! JL...glad you are still at it...you can do this! Well, final touches today. Picking up our new "friends" from the airport today and leaving tomorrow...just KNOW that I am forgetting something.....
Old 03-10-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

OH! Loved 12 Years a Slave...haven't seen Nebraska yet...
Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm not a big movie buff so I hadn't really heard of these movies. I have a hard time sitting still long enough to watch most movies. I really enjoy watching tv series on Netflix because you can watch an hour show in about 40 minutes or less with no commercials.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

DD,

Parents, specifically Mothers, should really be a 4 letter word. Sometimes I think narcissism and low self esteem are closely related. From what I've seen money doesn't buy anyone happiness or high self esteem. There is a reason she, and others like her continue drinking. My mom tries to use guilt as a weapon and holds grudges for a long time. When we moved to Spain all I heard were negative things like "how can you take our grandchildren that far away". I used to try and be a pleaser child but stopped because it was a losing battle. We have to live OUR lives and raise our families the way we see fit. Trust me, your 4 children will benefit immensely with how they are being raised. My first, like yours is off to college soon, and I can't be more proud of how well she has turned out so far.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey Bill, question....do you have to pay for Netflix to watch TV? I used to have a Netflix account in the States...here we use Hulu...
Old 03-10-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I wonder if that's how my girls view me?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Wow Driver, your post is spot-on. I try to not regret or beat myself up for those years I stifled myself emotionally....easier said than done. Glad you were able to sneak your wifey into the hospital and see those little munchkins, too.

Trudging - good luck on your trip back to the states, I hope the travel and your meetings go smoothly!

DD - congrats on getting settled in. I completely understand about the parental stuff. It's funny how at any age they can still trigger us. I've found that with my sobriety I fall less into thay small child role and have actually stood up to my mom more and challenged her (respectfully!) on her bs. It's quote liberating.

Bilr - I'm a fan of the Netflix shows, too. I have a bad habit of watching one after the other after the other.

JL - sorry you're struggling, this is hard stuff. The Wellbutrin sounds like a good option...and keep posting here, we've got yer back.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Trudging, I don't think your girls would feel badly about you. You in no way seem to try to control them or guilt them. Plus, you have done a good job of leading your own life separate from theirs. You have your own identity! I once read that a parent's unlived life is a prison to their children. And to use Driver's analogy, we all know what that prison feels like . . .
Old 03-10-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

And Bilr, you are right, money does not buy happiness. My mom was telling me this morning that she was depressed and homesick. She is one of the wealthiest people I know and also one of the most unhappy, unsatisfied people I have ever met.

Actually, I am kind of aggravated (partly because I hate the time change. I wish I could be more positive about it, like you, Bilr) right now because emotionally I am in a really good place. I finally feel settled in my "new" life and I feel a lot of peace. However, a lot of the people surrounding me are in particularly "bad" places and it is bringing me down. My employer spent the morning telling me how much she wants to divorce her husband. (my other employer who I like very much). She is mourning her brother and her emotions are all over the map. For the last six months or so, I feel like I have been a very cheap counselor to her. I have always been a spongy person when it comes to negative energy so between she and my mother, I feel kind of wrung out.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Trudging,

We pay $8.99 a month for Netflix and get our money's worth. Trudging, I'm sure there is always some mother/daughter dynamic in every family. But as DD said, you seem to have built your own life and are happy. My parents have lived in the same house for over 50 years and I can't remember the last time they spent a night away from it.

DD, I get the feeling that my moms unhappiness is sometimes fueled by jealousy. I was probably the only cousin to leave our hometown and be successful doing it. I think it is weird that a parent would be jealous of their own kids, but she is happy to have my sister living close by who has always struggled financially. They butt heads all the time and I am happy to be living a plane flight away.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Reflection, you sound like my son and my wife with Netflix, watching episode after episode.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

We cut the sat-tv cord about 3 months ago. Roku rocks. Lot of catching up to do
Old 03-10-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hey, all,

Too busy these days! In, out and all about. Trying to catch up. Driver, it sounds like you're weathering things better than most! LS, you go! DD, congrats on finishing the move!

Movies: Haven't seen 12 Years or Nebraska. Philomena was awesome. Had to see Frozen with one of the kids; not Disney's best, nor worst!

All the best, Tobers,

Fishy
Old 03-10-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Bil, seems like a deal on the Netflix. Cable is such a rip these days. I just can't see giving up SunSports (all home Rays games). And yeah, Oprah and Judge Judy, followed by TheView and Nancy Grace (scuse me all, I just threw up a little in my mouth). I have got a healthy dose of some classic Looney Tunes!

Trudging, very safe travels to you and hubby. JuJu for your provost meeting. Slap the ink and paper receipts on him for good measure.

Stay with us JL.

Fishy, you cool...always cool.

Double, you're a nurturer. This is nice as a wife, mother, friend. But it can be a burden in some other relationships, especially those with blurred lines. I'm guessing it's too late to establish new boundaries?