Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you will be tho, Dan.

D
Old 03-21-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I hope you are too Dan.

I'm sorry if I said something wrong. I can be clunky like that sometimes.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi friends. I made it to Costa Rica and back and will hit 13 weeks tomorrow. The trip was really incredible. Physically demanding trying to learn to surf but I did it. I totally learned to surf.

I was nervous about the cravings I would have at a hotel on the beach. It'd been so many years since I'd been on a vacation like that when it didn't revolve around daydrinking by the pool. I was also nervous about traveling in general -- no accountability.

The airport I did fine, thank goodness. Just walked right past all the bars with all the people and felt out of body about that. Like yeah, I used to be in there. Now I'm out here. Now just keep walking. I had all these shows on my laptop I've been wanting to watch so I just settled in at the gate and watched the shows.

On the trip, I was reeeeally happy to find that the group was not a drinking crowd. Of course at dinner a few people had wine -- but not everyone. Ditto for at the pool in the afternoon. I think it's because it was such an active vacation -- surfing and yoga -- that it drew a crowd that is really into taking care of themselves. The old me would have stuck out like a thumb because there was so little drinking in this crowd. Thankfully. So it was a total non-issue. WHEW. Plus we were out on the beach by 6:30 am every day. By the end of the day, we were so worn out. My roommate and I were in bed by 9 every single night. It was the best trip to take at this point.

Lots of life lessons abound with surfing. Paddling out is the hardest part; two steps forward and one step back. Remember to work with the ocean instead of fighting against it. The waves will knock you down but there's a current right behind them that helps you get back up if you let it and remember it's there. When you're on the board, wherever you look is where you will go. Keep your eyes up and forward; if you look down at your board, you'll fall off right away. Balance, balance, balance.

This past week was a catch-up week. I barely had time to look around with my kids back with me and all the work stuff I'd missed. Those are the weeks when I'm really good -- I don't even feel like I have time to have cravings. But I didn't want to get sucked into complacence so I made a concerted effort to come here this morning, check in and see how you are all doing. Back into my routine after a few weeks.

Thanks for listening,
Jackie
Old 03-22-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Welcome back Jackie!! Glad you had a wonderful trip and remained sober! We missed you!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Checking in..100 days!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hey Dan, stay with it here. Jackie holiday sound cool.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Jackie
congrats on 100 days Beanie
D
Old 03-23-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
I'm with you, 121313. I have the odd thought of a drink cross my mind but i don't engage with it. I was at a work function yesterday and looked longingly at the wine for a few moments and made a conscious decision to have a coke instead. I didn't think about the booze again and when I left I was glad that I had only been drinking coke.

Definitely know what you mean TigerLili, not that I don't say stupid things or make inappropriate comments when I'm sober but the odds are so much higher that there will be regrets if there is alcohol. So I have been so thankful after every social event that I made the sober choice that I can at least remember my comments and make amends accordingly. Alcohol definitely took away my filter, which caused relationship issues personally and professionally. Glad that's history and no longer my future.

Best wishes to all who I am sharing the sobriety journey with. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Hope all had a good weekend. I did (except for my NCAA basketball bracket which is in shreds). Nine days without alcohol and first weekend in a long long time without it.

Muhv, a lot of commotion in your part of the world. I thought about you watching the news. I hope you are safe. I hope everyone has a good week.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thanks Vet. Everything happening here is only on political ground, the actual crisis in Krimm and Ukraine.

For me day 2 again. I can't say it was bad slip, I had a glass wine for dinner, but I felt really bad about it the next day. And while having that 1 glass I was thinking how much I would really want just to gulp down 5 more.
Really glad I didn't, but now it becomes more clear that I can not be a moderate drinker.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're coming to that realisation Muhv - it might save you a few years

D
Old 03-24-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are safe Muhv and hope the trouble stops where it is. I know all about slipping and will be sending positive thoughts your way.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! I am checking in at 100 days today!
Old 03-24-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Checking in at 87 days.

Keep on truckin' everyone!

COngrats on 100 days Owlie!

muhv and vet69 - glad you're still here. It's hard to quit. It really is. There is nothing good left in the bottle for any of us. Stick with us. We're all in this together.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Congrats Owllie on 100 days!!
Old 03-25-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go Owlie

D
Old 03-25-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

100 days is a big threshold to cross. Congratulations Owillie
Old 03-25-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Sorry - Owllie that is.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:33 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is doing Ok today..
Old 03-27-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I have been in the chat room some the past few days. Came upon a thread were there were some pretty heated exchanges on the religious aspect of AA. It seem to become pretty snarky at times and disappointed me. I don't do AA but recognize that it has helped many. I follow Smart Recovery blogs. That seems to be a better model for me. Our religious foundation is what it is or is not. I had to see the energy that was wasted on arguing about it. We are all entitled to believe what we want and to the extent that it helps us regain our emotional and physical health it is good; but it should not be imposed on others. I enjoy sharing with this caring group and thought I would share this with all of you as you are so supportive.