Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 4

Old 05-07-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

Old 05-07-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Interesting TL, I saw several job postings for a project manager and other jobs at Knolls APL for decommissioning. I can always fall back on something like this if I can't find the job I'd settle for at my "current employer" or job at a resort handing out welcome gifts bags that pays a lot. I'm just of the mindset that I don't want to get into the same grind again. I'd consider part time work just to offset the cost of living and go hunting and fishing the rest of the time. Maybe get that AT hike in before 60.
Do you glow in the dark? I love hearing that.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

The reason I turned down the job was becuase my office was directly over once of the labs and you had to walk through a radiation detector to get in and out. It was a bit too real for me. All I could think what happens if there's an incident? There's only one way out and it's right past the lab! My children might have turned into mutants.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Haha that's cute Dee!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Dee, I wasn't sure if that was like a two minute warning that you were going to reset the thread or just some neat little thing you came across. I guess it was just some cool graphic you have somewhere stashed. Where does everybody find all the neat little icons, smilies etc?

Well, I'm struggling. I didn't sleep well last night. I am in the debate mode with myself. Do I just tell my "employer" to have a nice day, take retirement and move on? Or do I stick it out and think maybe I should stay and try to find something - even though there ain't much? I told the wife my suits don't fit me anymore. Wonder why... And I should at least get a new one for job interviews. Then have it tailored six months from now when I get back to fighting weight

I realize time is getting short. It's a shame I fell into that "live in the moment" mindset. That things will happen blah-blah-blah - just let it... I can only live in "the moment" for so long. Don't make any life changing decisions, don't move, don't don't don't... Then all of a sudden the reality of real life hits me upside the head. Things don't happen unless you make them happen. I don't want to be one of those waiting for the miracle to happen. Yet, I am still struggling with getting out of this funk. I think I became complacent and comfortable in the one day at a time nonsense - don't worry about tomorrow. Anyway, just wanted to put it out there.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

To stop living in the moment, you need a plan - a vision of what you want your life to be for the next several years or whatever period of time you chose as a framework. Take some time to think about this. Make lists, select milestones and goals both personal and professional. See the change you want to be.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

LBrain - I think 'don't make any major decisions' and the like don't apply if life circumstances forces them on you. It's an ideal that can't always be achieved. As for living on day at a time, that's how I manage not drinking and not worrying. Just for today I won't drink and I will try not to engage with thoughts of anxiety and worry. I will still plan and have goals and do what needs to be done each day towards them.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Went fishing this afternoon. Caught three nice trout and grilled them. DEE- licious! Made a nice salad with romaine. Grilled green beans and potato. Very satisfying meal I must say. We are out of butter so I drizzled olive oil on the baked potatoes. I think I'm going to continue that.
It felt good fishing - it's a place of solitude for me. Used the fly rod and very tiny little flies. I need new glasses or a magnifying glass... I also need a smaller tippet spool. Flies were so small I couldn't get the fishing line through the eye of the hooks of the ones I really wanted to use. Still caught fish!

I said to wife I think I'll just retire and find another job. Oh boy. That didn't go over well. She just doesn't understand the situation. She thinks they are just going to give me whatever job I want. Right. The rehab place called me back and said that session was closed. But I can go back to the same old thing once a week in a different morning. Such a waste of time it is. Really. But I gots ta do what I gots ta do.
Have a nice evening and great Friday all. Thanks for replying to my posts.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find them on Google mostly - we have a lot inhouse tho:

When you post next click this little smiley guy above your post

D
Old 05-09-2014, 01:14 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Those fish sound AMAZING, LBrain! I remember as a kid going fishing with my dad, uncle, cousins etc. We were staying at my aunt and uncle's for a few weeks and set out for a fishing trip from the garage. My brother accidentally dropped a small bag of bait down behind a pile of bricks and didn't tell anyone. My uncle and dad were going crazy trying to find the source of the smell for days. My brother eventually fessed up. He thought he was going to get in trouble but they just thought it was funny.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

I will be offline most of the weekend as I'm going on a roadtrip to a conference.

Have a good one everyone :-)
Old 05-09-2014, 01:33 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good time TL

D
Old 05-09-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

enjoy your trip TL, be safe, be sober
Old 05-10-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
waking down

Spent the evening with an old drinking buddy visiting from out of town. He seemed confused about my reasons for not drinking. When I said I was tired of drinking away my anger he said he couldn't drink enough. Then he paused and said it was good I stopped drinking. Then he said he missed me and started crying.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

well zero, I hope your friend truly understands the benefits you are realizing.

I was a drink away the anger kind of person myself. Eventually I was a drink away the day kind of person.

Hang in there.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
Spent the evening with an old drinking buddy visiting from out of town. He seemed confused about my reasons for not drinking. When I said I was tired of drinking away my anger he said he couldn't drink enough. Then he paused and said it was good I stopped drinking. Then he said he missed me and started crying.
A lot of my drinking buddies reacted like that. I thought at the time they were crying for me or the friendship changing (the arrogance of the newly sober) but I think now they were crying for themselves.

Or messy drunk

You may prove to be somewhat of an inspiration Zero - who knows?

D
Old 05-10-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
waking down

All three I think.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Yesterday -- why did I have to go fishing before the sun was full up? Because I like the solitude, it clears my head and gives me time to think. Also, that early when there is another you can talk to someone about fishing or life or whatever beside the stream. I was talking to a fellow fisherman, not sure how it got around to it, but he told me they need someone with my qualifications and background. He is currently filling the position until they find someone, he gave me his card and said to apply for it. Only two people at the stream and I got a job lead - from the guy who will most likely be part of the hiring process. Now that I posted it, I am committed to apply.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
waking down

Nice. Hope it works out.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Wow, that's a lucky fluke, LBrain! What are the odds of that happening?

My conference was great. Glad to be back home though.