Notices

Class of March 2013 part 25

Old 03-05-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Actually, I was just short of 5 when I bowled my first league in 1967. I averaged 22 that year
Old 03-06-2014, 02:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BuddinK View Post
I think the milestones can really play tricks with us along with our AV's. I can imagine people thinking "I've got so many days under my belt, I can control it now."

I think saying I "retired" instead of quit, stopped or just don't drink anymore really helps me.

I bowled for 45 years. 2 years ago stopped because physical limitations kept me from being able to play at the level I was accustomed to. Can I still throw a bowling ball? Yes, but it's not the same and I just don't want to anymore, after 45 years I think I had the right to say I retired instead of quit.

By the same right, I drank for over 30 years, I didn't enjoy it anymore so I retired, I have the right to do that. When the AV or anyone gets in my ear I just say I'm retired. I know if I try to bowl seriously again I will end up with some major injuries, if I drink again, I know I'll end up with major problems. My mind actually does work well in that sense.

Now, drugs I quit back in the early 90's, but I was never big into them so that to me, was just a matter of growing up, like the college age kids that party all through school and then settle down.

For me it was a matter of making myself comfortable with my decisions.

Living in Key West, I cant fart without a bartender knowing it, so I have to keep my mind where it works best for me. And that's one simple word.

RETIRED
Fantastic post Ken.

Hi all, hard day, bedtime calling..........i'm actually in there already and it's only 9:30........noice.

Shoes, i'm sorry this whole work nightmare is happening again.........but you are so strong.......even when nasty thyroid is only giving you a 4, glad you're an 8 today. Even when you're down, your words and posts are a wealth of strength, it'll work out, it will.

Love to all.

LP x
Old 03-06-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Morning all! Active thread while I was sleeping away. Shoes, I've had a crazy boss. It makes going to work every morning dreadful. I handled it much like you are and was able to stick it out until I found a new job. You'll land at the right place when the time is right. Anyone would be lucky to have you

Off to a crazy busy morning!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

Budd, I like the way you think! We don't owe anyone an explanation of why we don't drink.

Shoes, having once had a real bully of a boss, I can so relate. I've had some other doozies but this one was off the charts for me. I can't say I've ever learned how to successfully handle one of those. Although unpleasant, with your attitude and maturity I can see how you managed better than most.

Duff, hope your crazy busy morning has some good quiet moments!

LP, hope you get some good and restful sleep!

WeHav, you have such a great sense of humor! Bowling before birth creates a hysterical image. I wonder if Ken emerged with a bowling ball in hand ;-)

Venus, honey, you are probably one of the most polite Marchers! Most just drop in and vroooom, lol! In one thread we had a guy who dropped in, took right over and then disappeared. I never was sure if he was for real. Then there are others, like our own DD, who dropped in one day and has added a lot to this thread. His gastronomical descriptions make me salivate :-)

Least, are you going to be around more?

Toots, sounds like you are keeping busy. Are you enjoying your new adventures? I loved hearing about BePresent and her baby.

Gilmer, have you had that eye appointment yet? Is everything ok?

Babs, hope all is well in Babs-land!

DD, any more exciting food adventures? I get hungry just reading some of your descriptions. I love how much you and your life have changed in the time you've been here with us.

Hugs to all, especially to those I didn't mention by name. Have a great day!
Old 03-06-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

(((Saskia)))

Nitey night awesome March group....I can be less polite. LOL.

So happy to be here!!

v xx
Old 03-06-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Venus, you are great just the way you are :-)
Old 03-06-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi, everybody. My eye is fine. No radiation deterioration. I do have a cataract in that left eye that I will get removed this year. The cancer doctor said I might need several months of steroid drops in my eye because of extra inflammation at the radiation site--maybe even another eye shot! But the blurry vision is driving me nuts, so I will definitely get the cataract removed. She said there was no special danger--just extra inflammation.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My first post here was either in November or December 2013. I was snooping here and liked it so much I decided to stay!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hope you can get it seen to soon love...I had eye surgery when I was 4 years old.
I still remember it well, I had Gumby with me to protect me.
If you have a good doctor, (and I'm sure you do), it is the best thing you can do for yourself Gilmer.....our sight is so precious.

After 2 am here; I am struggling this week. I cannot wind down and get tired enough to go to sleep. Watching Criminal Minds now.

Nite all,

Love V xx
Old 03-06-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My right eye is very sharp with glasses; but, after the tumor, my left eye will never see completely right again. This cataract is making it really blurry, though!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Dang, I looked up my first Marcher post and I had completely forgotten just how many of us there were then. Even factoring in my many failings between then and now, I do feel good about myself for still being here (trying to quit drinking). If I succeed I will have you all to thank most for it. I mean that.

Gilmer -- Must be such a relief to know your eye is going strong! Now to wash that pesky cataract out of your hair and you're good to go.

Venuscat -- My cats have always stubbornly resisted working as well. And most of them have been morning cats, so it's not as though getting up was a problem. Oooooo . . . now the business cat meme has just popped into my head. I love me some memes, and business cat is a favorite:

LIKE A BO$$: 16 Of The Richest Business Cat Memes In Business Cat Meme History [PICS] | The Pet Collective

(Oh, and thank you for posting the "Happy" video -- I dug it!)

Northlander -- You asked how my parents and I haven't killed one another yet. My parents and I have a very good relationship, and that helps. Still, it irritates me when my dad leaves the seat up in the "guest" bathroom downstairs, even when he could take 15 extra steps to use his and my mom's master bathroom. And holy crap, the REPETITION. Of EVERYTHING. Between my parents and between one of them and myself. Oh, and last night at one point the three of us were sitting downstairs together. With the classic country cable channel on. They were listening and reading the little factoids as they popped up onscreen. It was quite a picture. The only thing missing was Lawrence Welk. :-) But I am always mindful that they didn't have to invite me back and that I am the guest here, even though they are good enough not to rub my face in that.

They do live in a development between a large manmade pond and a large manmade lake, and I bought a kayak about eight years ago and brought it here so I do get to paddle when I want.

Shoes, you know I feel your pain girlfriend! I have an orientation thing at a temp agency this afternoon that I hope will lead to some work SOON. If nothing else, I'm glad you're feeling better physically and at least you know what's what with the scuzzy boss and aren't intimidated by him. Go you!

Ken, I liked what you wrote about retiring from drinking. God knows I've consumed enough cheap wine and vodka for ten people. I think I've earned my retirement from that crap also.

Okay, sending out all the usual love and strength to each and every other Marcher as well -- make it a great day!

(Oh, and least -- I think I told you once that you were the most? I still believe that. :-) Any thread would be lucky to have you!)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Marchers:

Marcher 13, I think it was you who asked about how to get to our first thread. Here is the link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ch-2013-a.html

I hope it works.

This was my first post on March 2, 2013:

Hi everyone. Would like to join the class of March 2013. I have been a fairly successful closet drinker for 17 years. Sick of hangovers, sick of feeling ashamed of myself, and sick of binges. Here for support and support others.

Sassy, it looks like you started our very successful model of addressing other Marchers (shout outs) which kept me engaged. Occasionally I got tired of reading about people who only talked about themselves.

Going through the first thread I am hopeful that some other Marchers have moved to other classes since many have swapped out their Icons for new pics I didn't recognize when I revisited our first thread.

Shoes, a bad job is really awful. I am fortunate that I can freelance teach and write, most people can't make a living doing this. I hope you find something suited for your many talents soon.

Gotta run Marchers but an update - we are in the 20s ABOVE zero! Walked the dogs yesterday wearing just a light jacket and was passed by joggers in shorts and tee shirts. It really does feel warm to us.

Shout-outs later but in the interim, big love to all.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Quick shout-out to Gilmer - great news about your eye!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Going back to check posts after, but just had to post this for North;

Is this what winter is doing to you? - YouTube
Old 03-06-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

North, sorry to disappoint - I was most definitely not the originator of the shout out idea! We did it on the May 2012 thread, as WeHav can tell you. I enjoyed it and when I started posting on this thread, I thought it was worth a try. Good for bonding, I think. It also pushes me to think about others and focus on what matters to them.

Gilmer, glad your eye is ok. I've had cataracts removed from both eyes and it wasn't bad at all and was well worth it!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I found it! Thanks North! My first post...

I'm technically in the February class as my last drink was 2/10 but I just joined SR so I hope it's ok if I consider myself in the March class. My last binge was a doozy and after waking up with the dread, anxiety and doom from one more nasty hangover I just decided enough was enough. I've been binge drinking for 25 years and I have 2 little boys that need me to be fully there for them.

Like so many before me have said on this thread - March is our month. I look forward to getting healthy with all of you.

And my first response was from Sassy:

Welcome, Duffster! Of course you can join us :-). We're happy to keep on growing with more of us wanting to stay sober. When there are children in the equation, it dramatically influences more people and it can also give you an extra incentive.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi guys, Thanks ( not!) for the link North, I lost 2 hours somewhere!!!!!

Shoes, I hate how such despicable creatures can get into positions of power and authority time and time again!
I did have to walk out of a job a few years back because I just refused to allow myself to be abused unfairly. I could have pushed for compensation, but chose instead to send a copy of my resignation letter, going into specific detail cataloging my bosses shortcomings in following the correct procedures. I found out later they washed their hands of her shortly after. I was fortunate, hubby earns enough that I could afford to be out of work until something else came along. Not everyone has the financial backing to afford principles. I do however believe in Karma, as I know you do. Your boss will get his comeuppance.

Gilmer, when I worked at the optometrist one of my favourite things was when patients came in after cateract surgery, and were so happy to be able to see clearly again. Though the old ladies always complained about being able to see their wrinkles, and were horrified at how dusty their houses were !

VC, my Spud was a composer and frequently serenaded us with some of his better songs. Especially first thing in the morning. He often sang about someone called Alan, which had my hubby getting a little suspicious! Because of his artistic talent, he was excused household chores!
Old 03-06-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers North, thanks for the link, I just found my first post from today a year ago, I thought it was today. I had a drink the next day, swore off forever and started recovery March 9th. It seems so very long ago in some ways. Wow.

For those of you with a bit of anxiety and five minutes to spare have a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo_f8mV5khg

That's the second time this week I've heard good things about drones.

Shoes some jobs aren't meant to be, we just work through 'em until we find the one we should be at.

Have a good and sober day peeps.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Marcher, that was lovely. Funny about the drones - there was one at polo Sunday. I spent more time following the drone than the game!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:07 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

North's photo in message #32 should have carried the rider:

No known Australian was harmed during the snapping of this photo, none of the feet belong to Dee, Lifetplant, Marcher or Venus.