Notices

Class of August 2013 - Part 10

Old 02-15-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Oceanlady, I was really worried about telling my oldest sister, but when I did she was very open to the idea and is now working on her own sobriety. Might just be the thing your friend needs.

We are at my in laws place visiting my brother in law who is house sitting while the in laws spend 3 months (3 months!!!) in Costa Rica. Their home is on the edge of town and the town is in a valley. They back onto the most amazing tobogganing hill.

That's me in the second photo, waving at you all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-1607463917.jpg (71.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg
image-2620608964.jpg (73.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-15-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sheknits View Post
Oceanlady, I was really worried about telling my oldest sister, but when I did she was very open to the idea and is now working on her own sobriety. Might just be the thing your friend needs.

We are at my in laws place visiting my brother in law who is house sitting while the in laws spend 3 months (3 months!!!) in Costa Rica. Their home is on the edge of town and the town is in a valley. They back onto the most amazing tobogganing hill.

That's me in the second photo, waving at you all!
Thanks so much! My friend is very weak and easily lead..her husband rules the roost! He is a wine drinker, so she drinks wine..get my drift? I will have two weeks of oceanfella before she comes . That might be test enough for me!!
Old 02-15-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I just had stuff I shared with this class cut and pasted and thrown around in other areas on this forum. I feel violated and that I don't feel this area is safe to share anymore. Sorry.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

JD this is a public forum. You're sharing with everyone who has access to Google.
I hope you'll feel differently in the morning.

D
Old 02-16-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
I just had stuff I shared with this class cut and pasted and thrown around in other areas on this forum. I feel violated and that I don't feel this area is safe to share anymore. Sorry.
Ouch. I would feel the same way JD. You are working your program very hard and making a lot of very intimate and insightful observations and I guess it doesn't surprise me that others might take advantage of your openness. Really sorry to hear that and hope you continue to post what you feel comfortable with. Its been very helpful to me and I'm sure the others in our class.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
JD this is a public forum. You're sharing with everyone who has access to Google.
I hope you'll feel differently in the morning.

D
I agree. I read what I think is the post in question so I could understand what ticked JD off. I believe said person was just trying to help you by showing you some of your past words, misconstrued context or not, and there are many that read other classes threads, that's their prerogative.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I finally logged in on the computer (vs the phone) so I could see your great photos Sheknits! Looks like real winter fun! I'm envious of your in-laws spending 3 months in CR - I love that country.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
I finally logged in on the computer (vs the phone) so I could see your great photos Sheknits! Looks like real winter fun! I'm envious of your in-laws spending 3 months in CR - I love that country.
It was so much fun!

I'm envious too! They were originally supposed to spend the time in St Martins but had to change the destination due to a hurricane. They are very happy with where they ended up.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

JD I'm sorry that happened and that you are so upset. You must realize this is a public place. I did not read the post where this happened but did the quotation of your words make you feel criticized or misunderstood? I know how that can be because it's happened to me a couple of times. Anything you put out to the public can be misconstrued or attacked because there are mean people out there who take pleasure in hurting others. I hope you will let this roll off your back and not give it any more thought. If it was meant to hurt or criticize you, let it go. You know it was put out there in an earnest manner. And that's all you can do. Don't let the ******* get you down.....
Old 02-16-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hey Gang --

SheKnits, love the photo! Looks like you and the Canadian Toboggan Team had a great time.

OceanLady, it sounds like you're preparing for Florida in a positive way. Here's a list of Ruth Rendell's books. I've been reading them for so long ... really, any of them are good, but I like Elseware's approach of starting at the beginning.

Ruth Rendell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have the blues/the sads. Must have been my turn as they seem to have been coursing their way through our little group as of late like a cold. Encountered one of life's crappy ouches. My friend -- the old roommate I've mentioned, who has been a wonderful support -- called this morning. (Godsend phone call.) I told her I'm giving myself a few days to feel kind of ******. Then I have to get back to living. It'll pass.

Went to see Drs. Barnes & Noble, where I picked up "Mary Ann in Autumn." Somehow, I hadn't known that Armistead Maupin had written a couple more books after the "Tales of the City" series, which I utterly adored. Am already on page 80. It helps.

Life, huh? Sobriety intact, though, no worries there.

Licking her wounds,
V.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks for book info. I ordered three from amazon yesterday. Tales of the city sounds interesting, I am writing these down..

The blues seems to be like a virus for us..felt a little nip myself today..have stayed busy, walked my woods route and cooked a good steak. Staying in the present is a lot more difficult than one wood think! Stay strong!
Old 02-16-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I speak to all you book-lovers as a fellow book-lover, who still has many shelves full but buys no more physically. Also I am not an early-adopter of technology.

KINDLE KINDLE KINDLE KINDLE KINDLE KINDLE

Excellent sobriety present, you saved way more than the cost on booze, pills, whatever.

Get the paperwhite if you don't care about any other tablet functionality.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Right on man. I also have a wall of books but have been reading so many in sobriety that I dug out my old B&W Kindle and have been downloading books to that. So much nicer to have them all in one place, and have saved a small fortune already.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I can download on my iPad , but , I still like the feel of a book in my hand! I also enjoy lots of audio book that I walk with!
Anyone watching NBA all-star game? Routing for East!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you're feeling down V. Big hug! It must be the weather and of course something about 6 months that's hitting all of us. You have been a rock to all of us so it's no surprise that you would be fatigued from it. I also feel we reach a point in sobriety where it's not as much of a day to day struggle and then the question naturally arises as to "now what?". All of a sudden we are faced with possibilities that are more than just alcoholic fantasy dreams. We are faced with the reality of years that may have flown by without progress, or in bad relationships. We are faced with the real world.

Yet I think also we have something that others without addictions never get to experience - a sensitivity and awareness, an empathy. A deeper understanding of certain aspects of life and finding ourselves more accepting of others, and less quick to judge. This is spiritual growth, no matter how it is achieved, and for many of us (hopefully) it is just the beginning of what can be an incredible journey. You've done some amazing things and there's more to come! I like to think of myself as being right where I need to be (as a very wise man - Dee - once pointed out) and I'm sure you are too. Be good to yourself. Cozy up with that book. Sending some positive vibes your way
Old 02-16-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel brighter soon V

D
Old 02-16-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Adv your post is really fine and hopeful. I feel that we do have a more sensitive and empathetic energy to give. I know that I spent some time being very harsh and judgmental with my mother and my sister. I wish I could take some of my actions and words back. Because I understand so much more now. And I realize now how much I loved them because the anger is long gone. I am trying to be more compassionate with myself. I've spent much time hating myself in the last 6 months and feeling like I have nothing to live for. But my depression is letting up, I have to say. So that is better. I am better. I know "nature abhors a vacuum" but that feels like where I am. I wish I could find something to make me excited or laugh.

Venecia, I hope you feel better. And I hope you're holding your heart carefully. We are all very vulnerable right now. I picture you as a lovely, warm woman with much to give and one who is becoming wiser everyday. And I picture your home full of books. Kind of like mine. (I've got to do something about this)! I'm trying to use the library more.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I officially signed the roster and paid for my jersey today for the softball team. I'll let y'all know how it goes...we don't start till mid-March. And today a student asked me to speak to a student group about living abroad experiences. I said yes even though I get nervous speaking to large groups of people I don't know. And finally, a colleague asked me to supervise a project in the spring of next year. I feel like good things are opening up. I'm just saying 'yes' to new opportunities, even though I feel a lot of fear. I fear not being good enough or saying the right thing, or just not doing it right in general, but I'm working on being more comfortable feeling uncomfortable. Yikes!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Check out my cheesy new avatar...haha
Old 02-17-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

It's great, Kadideee! You're great!