Notices

Class of January 2014 Part 6

Old 02-03-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, and welcome aboard mkd4life40!

Glad to hear everyone is ok. I don't know why but the last couple of days I have felt super anxious in my stomach (where I store my stress) and struggling to concentrate. It is a scary feeling because this is what I felt when I had my breakdown last year. I am not craving a drink but maybe feeling more because I am not using the wine to numb my feelings and anxiety. My business is getting more demanding again so need to deal with this instead of sticking my head in the sand. Feeling very vulnerable and a bit scared today.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hey GoldcoastGirl - is there anything you can do to help the stress? Can anyone take on more responsibility at work to help you out?

Hang in there - you rock xx
Old 02-03-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Goldcoastgirl, do you frequently exercise. That does the trick for me when I am stressed/anxious. Even for a half hour or so, I feel so much better.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ethos23 View Post
Goldcoastgirl, do you frequently exercise. That does the trick for me when I am stressed/anxious. Even for a half hour or so, I feel so much better.
I agree, exercise takes the edge off for me also. I hope you can get away for just half an hour and take a brisk walk. I just came back from the gym, and I am feeling very relaxed. Even though the things that stressed me out, and made me anxious have not changed. My attitude and outlook have. Hang in there Goldcostgirl.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

About to call it a night on my 21st day sober. There are a number of interesting themes being discussed around anxiety, weight and exercise. I'm considering taking up running again after letting it lapse last July after 4 months of work building up to 5 miles twice a week. However, during that period I was drinking every night. I actually feel excited at what I could achieve not drinking and having that fitness level.

I hope all is well for all on the thread. There are some amazingly positive and strengthening posts which I am finding thought-provoking and inspiring.

On another note,
Old 02-03-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Together we all can do this!

Old 02-03-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

2014 continues to be a sober year for me. Last drink was dec 31.

I am grateful to be hangover free. I don't have a headache, groan and want to turn over and go back to sleep when my young son comes tearing into my bedroom in the morning.

I am present and can join in on all of the joy his 4year old self brings to each day.

Brilliant. Worth it for just this one thing.

Carly
Old 02-03-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

so many achievements today - it's really great to read

Goldcoastgirl do you have a counsellor or someone to talk to?

D
Old 02-03-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi Dee and everyone, thanks for your concern. I do have a psychologist I see but I feel so talked out with her and I'm not sure what there is left to talk over. I am my own worst enemy sometimes though because I find it hard to say no - we are working on that aspect. I have a post it note with "Not negotiable" stuck on my computer but the old me sneaks back in sometimes and sabotages the new me! I am going to my favourite meditation class tonight so will try and relax. Thanks all, it means an awful lot to know someone is thinking of me x
Old 02-03-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno if it helps GCG but my therapist told me I had to resign from being the General Manager of the Universe.

She was right. I had a lot of responsibilities - a lot of them weren't even mine....

Learning to say no was important too. I love saying no now and people still like me

D
Old 02-03-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Dee, you, too ? lol

I'm was known as the Empress of the Lake. DH was the Supreme Commander. these days I prefer to just be me.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL Earth, Southern Hemisphere Division Kris....

D
Old 02-03-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Welcome mkd4life40! I have to second what Artic wrote earlier, the first 3 days are hard, days 4 and 5 are still difficult but gaining momentum. I pretty much did the bare minimum during that time, stuck close to home and SR, drank lots of water and ate anything I wanted to get me through. Since you've done this before (as have most of us), you probably know the routine. If and when you feel you may give in, come here and post away. Not only does it help to pass the time, someone may respond to you with just the right message to strengthen your commitment.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Today is day 40 for me. I kept thinking that there was a song or movie with 40 days and 40 nights as the theme, I checked Google and found this song - not what I was thinking of but catchy, so I'll share it Kenny Davin Fine | 40 Days and 40 Nights - YouTube
Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Checking in with Class of Jan 14. One week today and feeling optimistic. 😄
Old 02-03-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Congratulation on one week Sunflower!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlelma View Post
30 Days today. Hope all is well with everyone else!
Awesome job there LMA!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Day 17! Headed overseas with my family for two weeks. I'll be working, they'll be playing. Looking fw to it:-) Will have to stay true to not drinking but I'm ready for whatever gets thrown my way. Learned from past relapses and this time family will be with me most of the time so that should help.

Keep it up everyone!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Great job on 30 littlelma!

Ending 35 a bit worse for wear but sober. I'm going to have to figure out how to stay positive, or at least, not go so negative, over the next few weeks at work.

For now, I'll focus on ending the day positive. Got home late but dinner was on the table and the people I love most in this world were happy to see me.

And I get to go to bed now. Which is a good thing. I need to let tomorrow worry about tomorrow. Tonight, I sleep.

Have a good night, morning, afternoon, whatever it is, wherever you are.

on edit: this post is a good one. Glennon Doyle on recovery. "You must stop running from your broken heart. A broken heart won’t kill you, but running WILL. If it doesn’t kill your body, running takes your soul." STOP RUNNING. STAND STILL. HERE’S HOW. | Momastery
Old 02-04-2014, 02:08 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Checking in on my 2 week mark - wooohooo. Just trying to exercise and eat healthy and look after myself - feeling good today

Hope everyone else is too