SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of January 2014 Part 6 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/321474-class-january-2014-part-6-a.html)

arteh 02-03-2014 03:27 AM

Thanks to odelle for compiling the roster! I'm happy either way, only carry on if it's not too much effort I think :)

Weighed myself today and I've lost 4lbs and 2% body fat since last week! Don't feel much different, but at least I'm noticing a bit of a change on the scales which has spurred me on to continue eating well (hasn't spurred me on enough to go to the gym yet, but never mind!)

Makes a difference not drinking all those extra calories hey!

Kiya 02-03-2014 03:32 AM

Good morning everyone. Starting day 21 again and I do feel better this time around. I'm staying away from the near beer all around this time. I think it did more harm than good in November. Really now that I think about it I have not been drinking out of any cans or bottles. It just helps me disconnect from the entire habit and ritual of hearing the seal crack and having the first sip.

startingnew2 02-03-2014 05:13 AM

Day 17

Starting day 17. I haven't been on for a few days. Things have been crazy trying to get my house ready to sell and already have had 2 showings. Even had an offer last night but the guy is trying to lowball us. I'm surprised I haven't wanted a drink through all this stress but I haven't and am grateful. I am really snappy though and bet my husband wishes I could have just 1 drink so I would relax. But he knows I can't and hasn't drank either. Hang in their class of January 2014. I am so glad I became a part of it.

halfvictory 02-03-2014 05:17 AM

day33. made it through that weekend with that big game is on. that weekend where I used to always drink. Every monday after the superbowl was always a fog (actually, every monday in general). But today, although I am tired, there is no hangover, and that makes me feel great. Weekend was tough; invited to drink many times and I just stayed away.

IreLander 02-03-2014 05:34 AM

Day 13! Not sure what happened yesterday but I was kind of depressed all day. Feel a lot better this morning. No longer on call, so I hope to get some fun things done this week. Congrats to everyone that stayed sober yesterday!

gleefan 02-03-2014 05:50 AM

Today is my Day 3, and it will be full of triggers. Work and home are going to be very hectic today - and I am in the habit of relaxing at night with drinks. Also, I have been replaying my foggy memory of my embarrassing behavior from my last drunk night. Add to that, I haven't had a drink in 3 days, and my system feels clear, which is also a trigger for me. Someone recommended I have a plan for my sobriety. I am approaching it by planning on a "reward" for later tonight -- surfing the internet while eating a fancy cupcake. Also reminding myself how awesome it will feel tomorrow waking up clearheaded, instead of foggy, tired, racing heartbeat, light headed, thirsty - and wondering if I behaved like a jerk the night before. And checking into SR a lot.

Emkay 02-03-2014 05:59 AM

Congrats Sunny and New star!

IreLander - we all have those days, I think. I usually try to concentrate on the day, I how I felt in the morning (pretty great) and the 24 hour commitment I made. Then I make sure I'm grateful for something. This morning it was a nice warm bed, even as I could here the work emails rolling in!

I spent the weekend writing a short story (just for fun). I'm surprised at how engrossing the process was. My job position is on the line-not from budget concerns. It's one of those things I could kill myself with worry over or I could just wait and see. Occupying my mind was a good compromise; I didn't think about work once this week end!

I did manage to get a few loads of laundry done, but only because my son put a sticky note on my computer so that I wouldn't forget to put the clothes in the dryer.

Great to be sober!

adee 02-03-2014 06:25 AM

Checking in at the start of day 36. i'm heading into a very difficult week but i'm resolving to use this as an opportunity to stay positive and keep my focus on gratitude. Have a great day, everyone.

ArcticSA 02-03-2014 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by startingnew2 (Post 4447365)
Starting day 17. I haven't been on for a few days. Things have been crazy trying to get my house ready to sell and already have had 2 showings. Even had an offer last night but the guy is trying to lowball us. I'm surprised I haven't wanted a drink through all this stress but I haven't and am grateful. I am really snappy though and bet my husband wishes I could have just 1 drink so I would relax. But he knows I can't and hasn't drank either. Hang in their class of January 2014. I am so glad I became a part of it.

I totally now what you're going through. We went through the whole showing/selling process when I was still sober last year, and when I think back on it now I think "Oh man! That was so terribly stressful, thank goodness I was sober, I don't know how I could've done that hungover!"
So just remember that! lol

ArcticSA 02-03-2014 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by gleefan (Post 4447431)
Today is my Day 3, and it will be full of triggers. Work and home are going to be very hectic today - and I am in the habit of relaxing at night with drinks. Also, I have been replaying my foggy memory of my embarrassing behavior from my last drunk night. Add to that, I haven't had a drink in 3 days, and my system feels clear, which is also a trigger for me. Someone recommended I have a plan for my sobriety. I am approaching it by planning on a "reward" for later tonight -- surfing the internet while eating a fancy cupcake. Also reminding myself how awesome it will feel tomorrow waking up clearheaded, instead of foggy, tired, racing heartbeat, light headed, thirsty - and wondering if I behaved like a jerk the night before. And checking into SR a lot.

That's how it happened with me a lot too. By day 3 I'd think "Oh hey! I feel great, I can drink now!"
For me getting through night 3 was the worst, day 4 and 5 awful, but then it starts to get better!

ArcticSA 02-03-2014 06:42 AM

Day 27. Heading towards a month yay!

Kris47 02-03-2014 07:18 AM

Hugs for ALL,

Irelander, If like me, the first few weeks keept us busy and our AV didn't know what to think. Now, he wants to push your door bell. Just don't let him in. You'll feel better.

Hello and Congrats on beginning this journey of Day 3, Glee. Glad you've joined us!

Hang tough, Adee! Good work.

We're all doing great.

3 weeks today for me.

Ethos23 02-03-2014 08:06 AM

Day 34 today. Glad that January is over and I can now work through Month 2.

LAWoman 02-03-2014 09:24 AM

30 Days today. Hope all is well with everyone else!

Will1981 02-03-2014 09:58 AM

I hope everyone had a good weekend and that you all overcame any demons associated with that period. It was a struggle for me but just got home on day 21 and decided to post on what is often a dangerous few hours for me.

I always associate a nice evening meal with wine but its the big glasses and the option of a second bottle that lead to my downfall. Had a great day at work and felt I achieved lots despite some real work related difficulties. Keep asking myself "how much worse would I have done if I had been drinking the night before or thinking about my alcoholic escape in a few hours time?"

mkd4life40 02-03-2014 10:11 AM

I'm new to recovery, I have stopped drinking for days, weeks and months in the past, but never really embraced recovery. I allowed my addict voice to rule many times. Happy to find this site, I need to disclose and expose my crap...

My alc/pot use has cost me 2 marriages and many relationships in between. I'm seeking out an addictions therapist and will do 90 AA meetings in 90 days, and start working the steps with a sponsor.

Marymacsmith 02-03-2014 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by mkd4life40 (Post 4447881)
I'm new to recovery, I have stopped drinking for days, weeks and months in the past, but never really embraced recovery. I allowed my addict voice to rule many times. Happy to find this site, I need to disclose and expose my crap...

My alc/pot use has cost me 2 marriages and many relationships in between. I'm seeking out an addictions therapist and will do 90 AA meetings in 90 days, and start working the steps with a sponsor.

Welcome!!

Ethos23 02-03-2014 12:42 PM

Welcome, mkd4life40.

mkd4life40 02-03-2014 12:51 PM

So this a brand new day one for me. My hope is high, my nerves are raw, and I'm trying to be invested in the process of recovery and treatment, not the outcome. I may never win my wife back, but she is a great friend and support from a distance.

Being able to read on this site and post when I feel the need is a God send. It helps take the edge off my anxiety.

JustSarah 02-03-2014 01:09 PM

Hey guys - it's 9pm here - just about to sit down to 'the hulk ' again - it keeps the hubs happy and I get to check in with you all so everyone's a winner

Day 13 is done and I feel happy today - without sounding like a treehugger I am trying to embrace being sober instead of fighting it - I'm focusing on what I do have (I'm present in my own life for one) instead if what I don't have ( wine) and so far so good. :)

Hope everyone else is doing well today too :) xx