Notices

Class Of February 2014

Old 02-10-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

stay close to SR Alex. Start a new thread for help if you like - this place got me through a lot of bad nights
Remember these tips -
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 02-10-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Just had some dinner and the cravings are starting to fade for some reason. Thanks Dee
Old 02-10-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries Alex

If you read the link you'll find out about HALT (Hungry Angry Lonely and Tired)
those feelings can often make us crave.

D
Old 02-10-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brit789 View Post
Well son of a bitch! Day 1 AGAIN! I can't seem to make it more than 7 days And I feel like complete crap. I'm so mad at myself.
Brit,

In my opinion, you need to change something in your routine that keeps bringing you back to Day 1. Look at your triggers and see if there is a common theme that keeps bringing you back.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ABLK View Post
Hi Everyone,

Day 1 here (again). Decided to join the forum so that I can stop having Day 1 repeat itself.

Lots of pitfalls coming up in the next couple of months. Still hopeful.
ABLK,

I'd say if you know there are some pitfalls coming your way in the near future, try to plan for them in advance to increase your odds of not returning for another round of Day 1. At least for any major pitfalls, create some courses of action (COAs), so if one of them happens you've already thought, planned and have a decent idea how to deal with them in advance.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I'm in!!!!! 2/10 baby!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Whywhywhywhy View Post
I'm in!!!!! 2/10 baby!
Yay! Welcome whywhywhywhy
Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
Hi Folks - Glad to meet you all. I'm on Day 9, but just joined today. I'm having some terrible anxiety, which I hope lessens soon.
Awesome, another Day 9'er! Congrats and keep focused!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

I enjoyed reading this today! Great way to start another 24! Likely, something in it applies to everyone here.

The Paradox Of Time, by Dr. Bob Moorehead

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers,
wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less; we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less
time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more
experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast,
get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love
too seldom, and hate too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've
added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things. We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait.

We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever,
but we communicate less and less. These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the
days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days
of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight
bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is
much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. Remember to spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little
person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be
there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by those moments that take our breath away.

~ by Dr. Bob Moorehead
Old 02-10-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Welcome to the newbies. I slept like a log last night (often do when I don't drink) Have a great day everyone.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:39 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jimuk View Post
Welcome to the newbies. I slept like a log last night (often do when I don't drink) Have a great day everyone.
You too Jimuk!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Posting in hopes it may help at least one person. In today's world, most have smartphones and use various applications. I found this app, and look at it 2-4 times a day. Pretty eye opening as to the amount of sobriety time, drinks "NOT" consumed, calories "NOT" consumed and cash "$$$$" saved.

It's called "I'm Done Drinking". It operates on Apple IOS platforms as well as Android platforms. A quick Google search, shows a lot of variations of similar applications.

Everyone have a good day! See you tomorrow morning for another 24!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:34 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Morning all

I'm doing good had a few slip ups but learning how to handle my triggers I even joined the gym

My asthma drug doesn't seem to be working so hospital haven rebooked my next shot quite pleased no travelling or feeling awful, I can focus on losing weight now I'm not consuming 2 bottles of wine a night in calories yippeeee

Have a fab day everyone !!!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
Hi Cara39, glad you joined us. I am back on Day 2 as well (for the umpteenth time). We just need to keep learning from our slips and moving forward.
True, thanks Ladybug
Old 02-11-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Welcome to our new members Hope you find this site and monthly thread as helpful as many of us do...
Day 9. Woke up 30 minutes before my alarm clock and have been enjoying some quiet time journaling and reading. Feeling a bit emotional this week still. Trying to be strong about this unhealthy relationship that I allowed back in to my life and my head briefly. Interestingly, I think unhealthy relationships and the patterns we fall into can be very similar to alcohol addiction. Knowing that something/someone is not good for you and will ultimately make you feel bad, yet feeling pulled to it anyway.
Not in the best of moods today, despite all my alone time this morning. Some days and even weeks are like this, right? It doesn't mean we drink over them, we just feel them, get through them, until we come out on the other side.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Alec1991-- how are you? How did last night turn out for you?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Alec1991-- how are you? How did last night turn out for you?
It turned out great gleefan. I did not drink, so that was good. Had a meal and the cravings seemed to dissipate a bit. Still had a lingering craving so I just went to the store to pick up some Gatorade. I did not drink, so that was good

How about you?
Old 02-11-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

@alex- glad to hear it. My night was ok. I coped by overrating. I want to stop doing that.

@fabl- I agree with your comment about the parallel between drinking and nurturing unhealthy relationships. Here in early recovery, I've been focusing a lot on redefining, and in some cases creating for the very first time, boundaries. For example I have a friend who is going through one hell of a health issue, who in spite of having all the resources for therapy, has instead over-relied on me to help her through the emotional issues for the past 7 years. Long story short, over the past year, I've significantly stepped back, and been less available. I've come to realize my own loose boundaries are the reason I let her needs take such a significant amount of emotional space. She struggled like a fish out of water while I pulled back, subconsciously trying any trick to weasel back in, but things have evened out a bit over time. She still oversteps but I have developed tools to stop it.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Morning all!! Checkin in on day 7 . . . Hope everyone has an awesome sober day!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hey guys! I'm on day 10, sober since 2/1/14.