Notices

Class Of November 2013 Part 4

Old 04-06-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Wow two weeks vitb. Awesome work! I used my four days away to kick the habit and today is day six! I feel so much better and I definitely have more energy. I will get myself back to the gym now I've stopped smoking. I've got ten weeks until my next holiday and I would like to lose half a stone for it.
We would have never been able to have two holidays this year if I was still drinking! It's crazy how much I must have been spending. I still question myself when I treat myself to something, can I afford it, why do I have this extra money. I was easily spending £300 a month! I can't believe I was ever that person. I like this person so much more. Especially now she doesn't smoke either!!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by apophylite View Post
Wow two weeks vitb. Awesome work! I used my four days away to kick the habit and today is day six! I feel so much better and I definitely have more energy. I will get myself back to the gym now I've stopped smoking. I've got ten weeks until my next holiday and I would like to lose half a stone for it.
We would have never been able to have two holidays this year if I was still drinking! It's crazy how much I must have been spending. I still question myself when I treat myself to something, can I afford it, why do I have this extra money. I was easily spending £300 a month! I can't believe I was ever that person. I like this person so much more. Especially now she doesn't smoke either!!
Top stuff, keep at it. I get what you mean, I'm like that and all but really if I was still drinking I'd have done at least £30 over this weekend easily including the ciggies so may as well treat yourself tbh.

It's the opposite for me re: gym though, I've probably put a stone on this past two weeks but I'm trying to bulk up anyway so I don't mind. I'm basically eating everything at this point.

I'm sleeping better as well also, can just roll over and go to sleep.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

I think sleep has been one of the best things about sobriety for me. No more waking up in a panic at 3am. Restful sleep has made such a difference to my performance at work!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Sleep is the great calmer of all anxieties for me. What seems overwhelming at night turns into a piece of cake in the morning!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Sleep is the great calmer of all anxieties for me. What seems overwhelming at night turns into a piece of cake in the morning!
I have been missing sleep and exercise due to a cold and now I hear the AV (addictive voice) whispering in my ear. It is amazing how slight changes in our internal chemistry can revive the AV!
Old 04-10-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

That's the truth!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

AV attacks I respond to with a return to a couple of basics:

1. Not drinking is the top priority in the present moment. I can wait to address other life stresses or problems.

2. If I stick to my routine things tend to automatically work out well. Getting a drink is not a part of my routine.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Yeah--obtaining a drink at this point would be far out of my routine. My natural laziness precludes it!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Good morning classmates. Trusting you are all doing well and enjoying your lives.
Tomorrow is my 5 month mark. I am an investment advisor and yesterday was an extremely stressful and crappy day in the markets. I wanted to stop at the pub so badly on the way home. Came very close but I didn't. Scared the bejesus outta me.
We have our two grandsons with us for 6 nights while the kids are in San Diego for a respite and holiday. So my obligation to get home outweighed my desire to get drunk.
Thats a good thing I suppose.
The drinking dreams came around again this week.
We have a trip to Europe planned for Sept. Going with my cousin and his wife. He is a big drinker and we always have enjoyed our trips to Vegas over the years. I am very nervous about this trip. Not feeling overly confident that I can do it. My wife says its one day at a time and she will keep me busy with non pub activity.
The AV seems to be getting stronger rather than weaker.
Sorry to vent friends.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Five months is always when my AV has kicked in, Rick. Just don't. You'll be sorry if you do, i can tell you that much. Life is so rich now--you'd just be making it shallow if you caved in and drank now.

I must say, I feel like drinking over the stock market, too, though!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Administrator

The AV seems to be getting stronger rather than weaker.
Is that true Rick, or are you just speaking after a especially rough day?
If it is true, what more can you do to shore up your recovery?

D
Old 04-11-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Is that true Rick, or are you just speaking after a especially rough day?
If it is true, what more can you do to shore up your recovery?

D
Not sure Dee. Maybe it was just a rough day. Feeling better today.
Thanks
Old 04-12-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Attended a funeral this morning. We had a travesty in our office on March 31. One of the girls was murdered by her boyfriend at their home. She didnt show up for work on Tuesday so our office called the police to have them check on her. We knew she was having problems with the guy.
So sad and a waste of lives. She was 36.
I guess that added to my stress and feelings of drinking last week.
Rick
Old 04-12-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Rick - that would be horrible.

D
Old 04-12-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that Rick. That's awful.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Rick, well done on remaining sober through tough times like this! What a terrible tragedy.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Wow, Rick! How shocking!
Old 04-13-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Rick, that's horrible, I'm so sorry. I'm glad you're finding reasons to stay sober. 5 months is a tough spot for me also.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

23 days now I think it is. Don't feel tempted to smoke at all. Have been tempted to drink a beer.

The things that make it more difficult are:

- Sunny weather, don't know why, think it's just cos when the sun comes out you feel like partying
- Weekends/football, same again
- Boredom
- Helps me to forget about the worries in my life

The last one I only realised recently, but it is true. When something happens or I just feel under pressure or sad, I have quite often started boozing to try and cope with it.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

I realize I can't go for more than a couple of days without something to do. I'm well aware that tomorrow is my five months anniversary, and the AV has been pooping in with random thoughts: "Oh, here's a liquor store. You could buy some." Yes, I could--but I don't want to be drunk. Last night I was at a ladies' meeting at the local Wegmans supermarket (they have an eating area upstairs). We dismissed at 9 and I did some shopping afterward; the store was deserted. There was wine all around. The seafood bar in that store is where I relapsed last May. i just really had a pang to buy and have a bottle of wine. But I don't have any desire to get all drunk, which is the only thing I do with wine. I certainly don't have any desire to sip a glass.

The temptation is hitting me: it's crazy and irrational. When i used to smoke dope, half of the attraction was the paraphernalia: the bongs, the pipes, the screens, the papers, the rolling. I think it's the same with wine. I liked the ritual of getting the wine late at night or 6am when the supermarket opened.

i just don't bother with that stuff anymore. It's all an illusion, as I like to say. Tomorrow I'll be starting on a meaty class at school--something to feed my spirit. It has been a long time.