Notices

Class of January 2014 Part 5

Old 01-29-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Start of day 2. Woke up, and before I realized it I had brushed my hair, put on a little makeup and real clothes. Haven't done that in probably over a year because I was always either still buzzed from the previous night or checking my supply for the day. Heck, I only used to brush my teeth to 'cover' the booze breath! I stay at home, so it's a lot of lonely hours; today I think I'll work on making myself a schedule so I don't allow myself to get bored. Thanks for the welcome!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Dax - yesterday I realized that the reason I was wearing eyeliner again wasn't that I was magically more "together" it was that my hands were steady enough in the morning to put it on. I haven't used it in quite a while, but I never would have been able to admit to myself that is why. Funny how these little truths pop up now. Good job on getting through your first day.

Irelander - that sounds like an amazing experience. Good for you and thanks for sharing about it.

6 am in this neck of the woods - getting ready for another stressful day. Grateful for a solid night's sleep. Have a great day, people!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan Dax. Getting bored is a killer for me as well. Keep busy!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Just a quick pop-in before I hit the shower and chase another day. Wishing everyone a safe and sober day!

IreLander, I have contemplated AA for a long time and your post is just what I need to break through the barrier and try something new. Worst possible outcome is that if I don't like it, I don't have to return. I have nothing to lose by trying, right? So far, SR has been my primary support, but the thought of face to face support is appealing.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

welcome Dax...Irelander - great story.

Onto day 29 today - If i make it through today I will have beaten my old record of 28 days but I feel ok. Just another day for me. I just keeping doing my sober routine, avoid situations that are tempting, sleep soundly, and wake up feeling awesome.

Stay strong today class.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

It's only day 2 for me, but sometime during the night of tossing and turning a little jingle popped in my head - SOBER and CLEAN in 2014!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Good morning all. Just a quick pop-in before I hit the shower and chase another day. Wishing everyone a safe and sober day!

IreLander, I have contemplated AA for a long time and your post is just what I need to break through the barrier and try something new. Worst possible outcome is that if I don't like it, I don't have to return. I have nothing to lose by trying, right? So far, SR has been my primary support, but the thought of face to face support is appealing.
Odelle, I have a great deal of admiration for your decision to add something new to your sobriety toolbox. I look forward to hearing how this goes for you, as I can relate in your interest in finding some face-to-face support. Best to you in whatever you choose, and it does seem to me that there is nothing to lose by reaching out even further.

Best to all of the January class on this Wednesday! You are all doing a great job! Give it your personal best, and I'm sure you will do well.

Much love,

MV
Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Day 10.

I'm alive and sober... better than the alternative I suppose.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

I just wanted to ask if the Class of January 2014 refers to individuals who have been sober for the full month or who started on their journey this month?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Will1981 View Post
I just wanted to ask if the Class of January 2014 refers to individuals who have been sober for the full month or who started on their journey this month?
You can join anytime you want! I joined on the 22nd, though I plan on posting in February as well. I have more to learn from these threads! Welcome Will!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hi all! Day 3 for me here! Last night was a bit hard, as after work into evening was my drinking time, but I tried to focus on my boys and the house and made it through. And it is definitely easier to do my job without my hands shaking and thoughts wondering all over the place!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

27 days here, almost a month, where has the time gone. Surprised I even did a full week.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

I am beginning to realise that alcohol has been an issue in my life for some time. I had my last drink on the 14th but for some weeks before felt like I had hit a wall but was still drinking every night to stop myself feeling so bad if that makes sense. I finally plucked up courage to go to the doctors to have a load of blood tests one of which came back with a high ATL reading for my liver. I was shocked but it was almost as if I wanted to here this kind of bad news. I get my full blood count and kidney function results back on Friday 31st but there is still a possibility I have something more sinister, if not caused then masked by drinking. Drinking has always led me to put stuff off till another day.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Welcome Will1981, you have done such a brave thing going to the doctor and I hope dearly that everything goes well with your health. Also well done joining us here, you will find a lot of great help and support. Irelander and Justsarah you guys are doing so great, stick with it!

I am on day 30 and not craving as such but sleep still pretty crappy but trying to avoid sleeping pills. Had another bizarre dream last night where I went on a cruise with my family, got drunk the whole trip and made a complete fool of myself. When I got back someone asked me what ports we went to and I was too drunk to remember! I woke up at 4am and realised it was just a dream but my heart was pounding and took me ages to go back to sleep. Dreams recreating life or guilt and shame or subconscious telling me that is what is ahead of me if I drink again - I don't know but enough already with the nightmares!

Saw my psychologist yesterday and told her about SR. She thought it was a great resource and asked me to email her the details so she can share it with some of her patients!

Have a great day/nite my friends at SR!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Welcome Will - this thread is great for support - you're in fab hands

Thanks goldcoastgirl - I am really trying this time around! You're doing great too

I really wanted a beer tonight so had a none alcoholic one - it was really took the edge off and no guilt for caving . I guess it's a bit like my E-cigarette which is for when I get antsy from quitting smoking. (Today is day 24)

Anyways - hope everyone's had a good day wherever you are my day 8 is nearly done - yay
Old 01-29-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Will1981 View Post
I am beginning to realise that alcohol has been an issue in my life for some time. I had my last drink on the 14th but for some weeks before felt like I had hit a wall but was still drinking every night to stop myself feeling so bad if that makes sense. I finally plucked up courage to go to the doctors to have a load of blood tests one of which came back with a high ATL reading for my liver. I was shocked but it was almost as if I wanted to here this kind of bad news. I get my full blood count and kidney function results back on Friday 31st but there is still a possibility I have something more sinister, if not caused then masked by drinking. Drinking has always led me to put stuff off till another day.
Good luck with those test results Will! Your liver should be smiling some after two weeks.

We both quit on the same day! Keep going forward!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Evening all, long time no post due to being busy. 28 days came and went pretty much without a hitch but then the AV popped up last night to try and tempt me. Tonight was horrendous and I nearly caved in, my first major wobble where I didn't really try to fight it. Maybe the four week period has set off a trigger, along with the fact January is nearly over and February is where I usually pick up where I left off after a month sober, but it wasn't nice at all this evening.

Two more days to get through, then I can try and refocus and start all over again for February.

Day 29 in the bag.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheAceFace View Post
Evening all, long time no post due to being busy. 28 days came and went pretty much without a hitch but then the AV popped up last night to try and tempt me. Tonight was horrendous and I nearly caved in, my first major wobble where I didn't really try to fight it. Maybe the four week period has set off a trigger, along with the fact January is nearly over and February is where I usually pick up where I left off after a month sober, but it wasn't nice at all this evening.

Two more days to get through, then I can try and refocus and start all over again for February.

Day 29 in the bag.
Hi Ace, you must be psychic - I actually asked the other day if anyone had heard from you because I hadn't seen you post! Well done for avoiding temptation - you are doing so well! Hang in there.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

25 days today...tomorrow would have been 6 months for me but I relapsed
Old 01-29-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

I was curious how many people hear went the cold turkey method vs medical detox help. One of the reasons I was so scared to quit for months was the fear of withdrawals sending me to the ER. No one knows about the extent of my drinking problem. I'm on day 2 and have felt ok, I have an old supply of Xanax for anxiety (surprisingly I never cared for how it made me feel lol!). I took .25mg the past 2 days during my "high trigger" times and the nights so I could sleep, but other than that haven't felt the need. Should I expect bad symptoms to pop up? I'm heading into my 51st hr (yes I'm counting hours). Thanks!