Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 3

Old 02-17-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tam2014 View Post
Hi! Checking in. We finally got some snow in the Carolinas, since we were snowed in I decided to fast technology for a few days. Strange at first but I really enjoyed it. It does relieve some stress not having a device at hand. The kids and I actually played cards, cooked and hours outside in the snow. They even said that was the best 5 days ever! Now the snow is melting and we have to get back to the real world. Still Sober.
Tam, what a wonderful break for all of you! I love that you took a technology fast. I don't do it often but I sure never regret it when I do. Love that the kids had so much fun!

58 days here. Kids home for President's Day. Makes working a challenge but it's also nice to not rush around in the morning and have to make lunches etc.

Happy, healthy week all!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
waking down

never mind
Old 02-17-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
waking down

Just so you know, folks, I deleted a downer of a rant above. I'm feeling a little better now. Got through it so far. Still sober. Hasta luego...
Old 02-17-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Winding down in day 2. My heart is breaking tonight....my son came home after being gone all week-end with his Dad. (No's nothing of my drinking this week-end) He has been very distant....we talked this afternoon & He is so sad & hurting more than I knew....I've talked to him in the past about Alateen & He agreed that He would think about it & that He would talk to a counselor. I am going to make him an appointment tomorrow. I've tryed awful hard to maintain that although I am an alcoholic...I keep a nice house, work the 9-5 job, cook good meals....blah, blah, blah, that "everything" is OK....It's not OK - He had tears streaming down his face....Things are not OK. He is the "model" child.....extremely polite, great grades. I just want him to be happy.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Oh Mariah, I'm sending you big hugs and lots of good thoughts. As a mom, my heart is breaking for you since I know how hard it is to see your kids hurting like that. I'm so, so sorry.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Mariah - it's always painful to see what our addiction can do to those we love... but's another great reason to keep working on this.

You can do it
Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Thank You Jackie & Dee....I honestly did not post that seeking sympathy but to get past my pride, jump back in here & share that post to hold myself accountable for grabbing hold of sobriety for my own happiness & for his. Thanks everone for encouraging me to come back here. Love ya all
Old 02-18-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hi Zero! I always think of deleting all my messages, even the not-sad ones, but then I think, we are here to support each other. I hope you are doing better now.

I am glad you are back Mariah!

And I am doing pretty well, considering I was so ashamed about myself after my last slip. I was just at home, did not do anything, just watched TV and was really sad and kept thinking about all bad things. And the first days after slip are always the hardest, I keep thinking about drinks all the time, really it is like a background noise. I feel it is getting weaker, but it is still here. I am a little scared to go grociery shopping, because in the past it was like 2 seconds and I already had a bottle in the cart, without even thinking about it. I've been taking valerian drops again, it helps alot with the anxiety.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Blown it again; I'm lost

I can go four-five days or even a week. Holidays and weekends kill me. I fill hopeless and disappointed in myself. I'm not sure I'm going to make it.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again Vet

Try not to panic - I really believe sobriety isn't beyond anyone.

What have you been doing to stay sober - what support do you have?
What kind of lifestyle changes have you made?

D
Old 02-18-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hello Dee. I exercise (weights and cardio religiously). My diet is excellent. I just go without alcohol for numerous days and then drink a 375 mltr bottle by myself. I drink alone. SoberRecovery is my support. I am not into AA although I recognize that it has helped many.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not going to try and railroad you into anything vet - just spitballing here
Exercise is good - but it's obviously not enough as a recovery plan, cos it's not stopping you from drinking.

There are other groups besides AA - I just thought some real life support, and maybe people whose numbers you could call, could help. Counselling could be another option.

D
Old 02-18-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

I have to learn to plan my weekends and holidays to be with people. My wife doesn't know - I am a closet drinker. I will take your advice and identify people I can be with and talk to. I am in the government so I can try the EAP here at work. Thanks for the good advice. I am just disappointed in myself.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand it's scary but would it make things easier or harder to tell your wife, vet?

D
Old 02-18-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

She doesn't drink at all anymore and would probably just be angry. I have to deal with this myself.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well I'd definitely follow up on the EAP for starters, Vet.

Best of luck today to you and to everyone else here - I'm off to bed

D
Old 02-18-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Okay Dee. It's early morning here. Have a good night's sleep downunder...
Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Originally Posted by Vet69 View Post
I can go four-five days or even a week. Holidays and weekends kill me. I fill hopeless and disappointed in myself. I'm not sure I'm going to make it.
I signed up here in 2008. I was in your situation countless times.
I think it comes down to how bad you want to be sober.
You can convince yourself that you can't drink. Make drinking a non-option.
The fact that you're telling yourself you're not sure is the white flag right there, IMO.
Best to you.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Question

In a deep valley now. I appreciate your support. Did you mean White Flag or Red Flag? I just need a plan to get through weekends and holidays. Group meetings don't work for me. Too many sad stories. Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

I hope everyone has a better day today. We are changing things that we have done for many many years (even most our lives) its not quick or easy & no one will never be perfect. A slip up is far better than a habit/lifestyle.

Vet 69 I tried AA multiple times, we aren't right for each other either. Spot on with the sad stories. I did buy the books and reading helps but too much reading about alcohol makes me want to drink, I have to focus on what I am going to do rather what I shouldn't do. Your still here!

Being painfully honest and transparent with myself and my husband was hard & humbling. However, it has proven to be the right choice (for me) and a growing experience for both.

Hugs to my Dec family