Notices

Class of January 2014 Part 4

Old 01-16-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
I walk/jogged 2 miles yesterday in 28 minutes and I can feel myself getting competitive with my times again)

Haha im exactly like this! If I see myself even a few seconds slower than the last session I get annoyed
Old 01-16-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Day Six. I think I'm past the stage where if I was going to withdraw, I would have. I know I'm lucky and this is my first time quitting. If I relapse, I know there will be consequences. I am feeling happy and didn't really have any down minutes maybe because things were so awful those last few months and weeks. Yesterday, I had a trigger because of fighting with my husband but the stuff I'd read on here and remembering the vicious cycle and the horror of it made me stop. Luckily, or unluckily, I'd gotten to the point in my alcoholism where that temporary escape was so temporary I needed to drink a lot to stave away the horrible down moments.

One of the things I didn't expect would go so quickly are the bag under my eyes. It's almost like magic. I'm already in my 30s, so when they first came, i thought it was just age because I see a lot of older people with them. I can't believe they are almost gone. As vain and silly as it sounds, if I knew the culprit was alcohol, I probably would have quit a lot sooner because that's all I could see on my face. They appeared almost overnight!

Despite exercising, eating lots of salads and staying away from the junk, my weight hasn't budged. I was drinking about 1500 calories a day in alcohol. Maybe the weight is just stubborn? My calories seem to fit better at least.

Good luck to everyone.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by letustrythis123 View Post
Day Six. I think I'm past the stage where if I was going to withdraw, I would have. I know I'm lucky and this is my first time quitting. If I relapse, I know there will be consequences. I am feeling happy and didn't really have any down minutes maybe because things were so awful those last few months and weeks. Yesterday, I had a trigger because of fighting with my husband but the stuff I'd read on here and remembering the vicious cycle and the horror of it made me stop. Luckily, or unluckily, I'd gotten to the point in my alcoholism where that temporary escape was so temporary I needed to drink a lot to stave away the horrible down moments.

One of the things I didn't expect would go so quickly are the bag under my eyes. It's almost like magic. I'm already in my 30s, so when they first came, i thought it was just age because I see a lot of older people with them. I can't believe they are almost gone. As vain and silly as it sounds, if I knew the culprit was alcohol, I probably would have quit a lot sooner because that's all I could see on my face. They appeared almost overnight!

Despite exercising, eating lots of salads and staying away from the junk, my weight hasn't budged. I was drinking about 1500 calories a day in alcohol. Maybe the weight is just stubborn? My calories seem to fit better at least.

Good luck to everyone.
Isn't it great to know we don't have to worry about the dreaded D.T's anymore? That was one of the scariest moments in my life googling serious withdrawal symptoms. I basically laid in bed waiting to start seizing. We've got to keep that memory in the back of our minds no matter how unpleasant!

I am about to hit 30(in about 4 months) and same as you, I figured my rapidly deteriorating skin was from aging, but the past couple mornings when I look in the mirror I am looking younger!? The gray, wan look is going away. Also, the patchy, dry skin on my cheeks is almost gone. It makes me sad what I've been doing to my body, and so grateful it bounces back the way it does!

I just posted the same thing about weight yesterday, and you know what? This morning I was down 1 and 1/2 pounds overnight. I didn't starve myself or anything either. Our bodies were put through hell with our drinking. Trying desperately to keep going. When we quit they probably said "Arrghhh! QUICK hang on to every available ounce of water and calories, she might start killing us again soon!!"
I think it is panic mode for a while, then after a week or so, its like "ahhh OK, I can relax and let go of some of this excess fluid and stuff"
LOL Does that make sense?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Totally agree with you both, I had bags under my eyes too and really really bloodshot almost grey eyes (so bloodshot my doctor thought the corners were yellow, but under examination it was just hundreds of criss crossing red lines , its dramatically improved now not entirely but like 70% better
Old 01-16-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Enjoy the perks.

Sometimes it will take the body time to register before the weight begins to come off.

Just keep up with what you're doing.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys. .

So I am wondering a bit about vodka. I thought drinking that was carb-less and that's why I was drinking it. My body does great on low carbs (I never do no-carb). I figured with the amount of vodka I was consuming a day and sometimes playing mind tricks and buying wine (at least four times a week) because when it was just vodka it would disappear too quickly.

So what is the story on weight gain with vodka? I've googled a lot? I've also heard people say "vodka belly". I will tell you this, my stomach deflating for the first time in a while. I didn't even bother working out while drinking because of both the laziness and the alcohol telling me not to care and because I knew it was a losing battle.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Day 2. I slept for a very long time last night. I think my body and brain are trying to catch up. I feel much better today, even though I am a bit lethargic. While in bed I had a rather intense craving for wine. I was able to recognize the addictive voice trying to lie to me.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys. .

So I am wondering a bit about vodka. I thought drinking that was carb-less and that's why I was drinking it. My body does great on low carbs (I never do no-carb). I figured with the amount of vodka I was consuming a day and sometimes playing mind tricks and buying wine (at least four times a week) because when it was just vodka it would disappear too quickly.

So what is the story on weight gain with vodka? I've googled a lot? I've also heard people say "vodka belly". I will tell you this, my stomach deflating for the first time in a while. I didn't even bother working out while drinking because of both the laziness and the alcohol telling me not to care and because I knew it was a losing battle.
At one point (mostly during University) I just drank vodka & pepsi all day and didnt eat anything all day until the evening, when I would have some disgusting microwave meal. I didnt lose or gain weight oddly
Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Medion View Post
Has anyone else noticed skin especially on face is much clearer?
Yes! Mine has been much clearer. Still waiting for the whites of my eyes to clear up though.

Day 15 here, Friday morning. Another scorcher today. For some reason I find it hard to eat well in hot weather!! Have actually put on a little bit of weight, I think it's because I haven't been able to run in the heat. Hoping the heat wave ends soon.

Hope all those with colds feel better soon! It definitely does feel like it's getting easier with no wine, but I won't fall into that trap again, of thinking I could easily give up if I wanted to.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

good to hear the good girl voice. lol
Old 01-16-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

My drink of choice was also mostly vodka (and sometimes other liquors like spiced rum or whiskey) in the recent years. These hard liquors also contain the "empty" calories of alcohol, like any other alcoholic beverage, just a little less extra by volume. Earlier in my drinking career I mainly drank wine and cocktails, sometimes beer, and I started on the vodka later because the lighter drinks did not give me the same buzz anymore and because of the weight gain. I definitely had an easier time to maintain weight drinking hard liquors than wine, but it's not where I would like to be... and definitely most annoying extra was on the belly. I am seeing improvement in this, as well as in my skin, only 10 days sober (as of today). Oh, and the always bloodshot and "Visine-corrected" eyes, too!
More in the weight issue for me specifically: I know it's important to not obsess about this, not only because objectively I'm far from overweight now (I was as a kid before age 10) but have a tendency to go crazy about this, I have a history of eating disorders back in my teens and 20's.

Am having some major cravings again today... perhaps it wasn't a good idea to stay home with this cold, since I was a home alone drinker and I think my brain registers lazy days like this similar to those when I skipped work and drank the day away, even though I'm actually sitting here writing stuff for work.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Morning all! Just spent 10 minutes reading through all your posts and there seems to be a real sense of positivity in the air, I can feel it! Yay!
I am strangely coping ok on the craving front but have had the odd one at the weirdest times, ie. sweeping the floor in the morning, sitting in the chair at the hairdresser. I never drank in the day unless I went out for lunch, but set 5pm as my start time and would nervously keep staring at the clock from about 4pm onwards willing time to go faster! Then I just started earlier, 4.45, then 4.30 - crazy, I don't miss that part and worrying about did I have enough in the house to get me as numb as I needed. I bet the guy in our local bottle shop is wondering where I am!

Have a great day/night my SR friends x
Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Well, I've made it 15 days without drinking and have got my base fitness back. I have ran 5-miles a day for six days straight now. I have been making whole juices (blending fruits and veggies) for the last two days which also helps me feel great. Taking it a day at a time. Going to my first visit with a therapist tonight. I'm excited about it and not scared or ashamed. It is what it is and it's not going to get better without real work. I'm ready for that.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hey guys, congrats to everyone who is still hanging on in there alcohol free!

I had a bit a respite day emotionally yesterday but it has flared up again today. i was very upset and agitated but after talking it all out with some people now I feel calmer but still quite meloncholly. But I'm looking forward to starting my hypnotherapy next week, hopefully that will help.

I'm on day 9 today! Double figures tomorrow!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Seems like a lot of you are feeling great and plugging along. When the topic starts to veer off to weight loss and other non-drinking things I feel like we're moving into the right direction. Speaking of weight - I wasn't necessarily looking to lose much but I figured after giving up my 4-6 nightly average of craft beers I would start to lose weight. I think I've lost 1 pound...kind of strange. And i haven't changed my diet at all so that's still the same.

Heading home to hopefully close out day 16/ Stay strong and good luck tonight
Old 01-16-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goldcoastgirl View Post
Morning all! Just spent 10 minutes reading through all your posts and there seems to be a real sense of positivity in the air, I can feel it! Yay!
I am strangely coping ok on the craving front but have had the odd one at the weirdest times, ie. sweeping the floor in the morning, sitting in the chair at the hairdresser. I never drank in the day unless I went out for lunch, but set 5pm as my start time and would nervously keep staring at the clock from about 4pm onwards willing time to go faster! Then I just started earlier, 4.45, then 4.30 - crazy, I don't miss that part and worrying about did I have enough in the house to get me as numb as I needed. I bet the guy in our local bottle shop is wondering where I am!

Have a great day/night my SR friends x

Ha. This is great. I thought the same thing about what they must be thinking. Except I had a few places to go. A regular grocer which was my fav place because never the same clerk but it was far and I could only get there when I would be on my way home from somewhere or when I was just sick of the embarrassment.

I also felt stress when I saw that less than a pint was left in a liter. I knew it wasn't going to last and would make a trip out for more except on the rare night where I'd just force myself to bed becdause that was better than staying up while the buzz wore down. It's like I wanted to be dead.

but I had about four rotations right by the house. I go buy them all of the time because our town is on the small side and it kills me to think how I'd be visiting those every day, at least once. All my liquor stores only, meaning the places I would not stop in except to buy booze are wondering where I am. They probably think I'm dead. I probably would with the amount I bought. I've been to the local gas station where I'd get my pints. Believe me, I checked out many in my neighborhood to find out who sells liquor. Only found two that sold the pints and under. I have been getting coffee in there when I gas up. It figures that it seems the clerks changed just as I quit. Maybe it's just not their shift but believe me, I was in enough to memorize everyone.

Funny thing happened today. Sad, actually. Or just stupid. I was in another neck of the woods in my area and I gassed up. This gas station was close enough to my house but not a stone's throw. It was still close enough to have conveniently added into my rounds. I walked in to get some coffee and behind the counter, I saw they sold the half pints and pints. It sounds stupid but I was mentally kicking myself because I could have used another store near by to add into my insane rotation. And here I found out about it when it was too late. I should have cared more about what I was doing to my body and family than my embarrassment in front of total strangers. One guy said to me the day after New Year's Day 'Oh, is it a post holiday celebration' I could tell he was being sort of scornful. No one puts on a post celebration with a pint of cheap a$$ vodka.

I hope my tone isn't coming across as genuinely sad about finding that place too little too late. Of course I'd rather not be buying at all than knowing about it. I even peered across the shelf to the right of the clerk to see if they had my cheap brands. They were all sold out and I only saw the Smirnoff. The clerk was looking at me like WTF? The worst were my early morning buys at 8 am.

So glad to be done that crap.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Almost through with day 2, the only bad cravings I had were last night. I would un-consciously reach for my glass that used to on the table next to me and felt a smidge of disappointment when it wasn't. Yesterday was my first alcohol free day in three years.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi

Going along not bad. Lots of posts about skin/weight etc. I have lost 7lb in 16 days but skin is hellish!

Today not so great, I had a near fainting episode this morning- think it was due to stress but don't know and right arm numbness this evening. It has got my mind churning. I will see a dr if anything else occurs. Don't think there is any connection with the not drinking-16 days now.

Feel a bit fragile. Hope for a stronger day tomorrow.

C
Old 01-16-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Got irritable with my husband and took a brief walk outside. Got back and was cooled down. It was time for my Librium and took it. Dinner done and feel better now. Gotta remember not to let the little things bug me. Thankful another day is done.

Day 3 almost over.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Ha. This is great. I thought the same thing about what they must be thinking. Except I had a few places to go. A regular grocer which was my fav place because never the same clerk but it was far and I could only get there when I would be on my way home from somewhere or when I was just sick of the embarrassment.

I also felt stress when I saw that less than a pint was left in a liter. I knew it wasn't going to last and would make a trip out for more except on the rare night where I'd just force myself to bed becdause that was better than staying up while the buzz wore down. It's like I wanted to be dead.

but I had about four rotations right by the house. I go buy them all of the time because our town is on the small side and it kills me to think how I'd be visiting those every day, at least once. All my liquor stores only, meaning the places I would not stop in except to buy booze are wondering where I am. They probably think I'm dead. I probably would with the amount I bought. I've been to the local gas station where I'd get my pints. Believe me, I checked out many in my neighborhood to find out who sells liquor. Only found two that sold the pints and under. I have been getting coffee in there when I gas up. It figures that it seems the clerks changed just as I quit. Maybe it's just not their shift but believe me, I was in enough to memorize everyone.

Funny thing happened today. Sad, actually. Or just stupid. I was in another neck of the woods in my area and I gassed up. This gas station was close enough to my house but not a stone's throw. It was still close enough to have conveniently added into my rounds. I walked in to get some coffee and behind the counter, I saw they sold the half pints and pints. It sounds stupid but I was mentally kicking myself because I could have used another store near by to add into my insane rotation. And here I found out about it when it was too late. I should have cared more about what I was doing to my body and family than my embarrassment in front of total strangers. One guy said to me the day after New Year's Day 'Oh, is it a post holiday celebration' I could tell he was being sort of scornful. No one puts on a post celebration with a pint of cheap a$$ vodka.

I hope my tone isn't coming across as genuinely sad about finding that place too little too late. Of course I'd rather not be buying at all than knowing about it. I even peered across the shelf to the right of the clerk to see if they had my cheap brands. They were all sold out and I only saw the Smirnoff. The clerk was looking at me like WTF? The worst were my early morning buys at 8 am.

So glad to be done that crap.

I used to get embarrassed when buying early as well. I always used the same excuse, mumbling something like "it's someones birthday party today". They must have thought I have LOTS of friends. haha.