Notices

Class of January 2014 Part3

Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ronjohn View Post
OMG... A

Let's get back to helping each other before I die from laughter...

Alright, now back to helping each other.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fleuryp View Post
It's hard enough to be an alcoholic, but I don't know what I would do if I also had to fight wolves...
Wolves vs Artic...pfft Artic hands down ;-)
Old 01-10-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marymacsmith View Post
Day 2 after a restful night of sleep. Had to go to the grocery store this morning. AV was saying how nice it would be to crawl into a bottle of sake, and get numb, isolate. Told av its not the boss anymore, Was actually able to go through the self-check-out at the grocery store because I didn't have any alcohol. Oh, its the little things. Have a good day everyone.
Great job, Mary! Nice work
Old 01-10-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Good for you Mary :-)

And you can do it again . X
Old 01-10-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Soooooooooo husband just very pointedly asked me what we are doing tonight, like he knows I won't be drinking and he's feeling me out.
I don't know!!!???
Heck if I know! Every Friday night for months has been an excuse to drink 12 beers instead of 7!
I guess just watch TV.
See? Theres the depressing me talking, uhhhh, lifes no fun without beer wahhhh. I need to remember the good things. Like 3/4 of my weekend were spent on the couch rocking back and forth, thirsty, anxious, headachey and just generally feeling awful. And that was to be expected!
Ridiculous. Gonna change my frame of mind, right here and now!
Old 01-10-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
Soooooooooo husband just very pointedly asked me what we are doing tonight, like he knows I won't be drinking and he's feeling me out.
So, why not plan something?
Old 01-10-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hey Arctic, just think you will feel and look so much better without the puffy face, bloated body, and foggy brain.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

My husband is going to ask me the same thing! Mine is going to be a movie night and a frozen pizza
Don't concentrate on tonight - concentrate on how you will feel tomorrow morning.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ronjohn View Post
What are the thoughts on non-alcoholic beer? Too much of a trigger?

Don't really have a need for one, but I was curious....

Seems like a whole bunch of wasted calories at this point in my life...
My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.
I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

D
Old 01-10-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi all, still here and sober, day 8 now. Have been working hard at keeping busy and planning things to do in advance, boredom is a big trigger for me. Hope everyone is doing well X
Old 01-10-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Have a good night class! stay strong tonight! who cares about tomorrow. You'll take care of that tomorrow.

Thanks for all the support. 4 more hours to close out day 10.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Got rid of all of my stashes of liquor around the apartment today. It was like saying goodbye to children, that you hate, leaving for a summer camp that you hope they never come back from...weird simile?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Yes, planning is a good idea. I'm on day 6 and this will be my first weekend and I'm a bit nervous but determined . I'm hanging out with a friend who's recovering from surgery at her place for a while this evening, so I know there won't be any alcohol there. Then go will go back home to watch a movie with my hubby. He's very supportive and if we end up going out to dinner, he knows not to expect me to order my usual several alcoholic drinks, it's water or tea for me.

Tomorrow I'll plan for tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi all, it's morning here and just reading over your messages posted overnight. Lots of people beating themselves up. We need to be kinder to ourselves. I read somewhere that you teach people how to treat you and I believe that. I'm tired of telling myself I'm stupid and weak and all those other things that we say to ourselves. Today I'm just going to tell myself I"m proud I have made it to day 11. Quiet weekend for me which I am fine with, keeping close to home.

One little positive I have noted is I don't have that horrible taste in my mouth when I wake up now and bad breath - yay! Hang in there guys, I am so proud of you all my new friends!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I love this article, very true, and its not all doom and gloom.
5 Things Nobody Tells You About Quitting Drinking | Cracked.com
Old 01-10-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hi Classmates, so Day 4 for me and right now I'm feeling quite good. I'm realizing through all this sharing on SR that what helps me most is not actually talking about myself and details of my struggles, but just the determination and keeping very busy... I would hate to come to SR drinking or drunk at this point. So for me it seems more like a reverse order: each morning I feel very motivated to come on here, but at the same time have the idea I can only do comfortably if I have not drunk... so logically (I guess) my reward of coming on here requires abstinence

I've also set goals for the future coming up within a few weeks, assuming I can maintain this, that I will finally go to see a few different doctors and fix things that can be fixed with their help. Eg. general physical, bloodwork etc. Eye doctor (I think I might need a new pair of glasses but I know drinking and withdrawal can affect vision, so will wait a bit with this one.) Dentist (long overdue). OB-GYN (I'm female and have been neglecting check-ups for years).

Stay strong everyone for the weekend!!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Good job haennie, day 4. I was not aware that drinking/withdrawal could affect vision. Sheesh.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
I love this article, very true, and its not all doom and gloom.
5 Things Nobody Tells You About Quitting Drinking | Cracked.com
So true -all of it! I've killed almost no one as well, but I did yell at a member of the public from the confines of my car on the way home from work the other night. This morning I had a lot of energy and was ready to put my house back together, but I got a terrible sickly stomach ache. I decided to heat up some chicken noodle soup, and I crushed my crackers into my coffee instead of the soup! My second cracker attempt resulted in crumbs all over the floor and table. I'm usually quite adept at cracker crumbling, so I decided not to attempt anything too fantastic today. I stuck with getting the laundry mountain back to something a bit more managable, and no drinking, of course!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Marymacsmith, yes there is some scientific evidence for this, see eg. this briefly:
Alcohol and Eyes - How Does Alcohol Affect Eyes

I observe and experience the effects on vision myself. Each time I drank heavily the day before and get out the day after, I have eye problems: blurred vision and also runny eyes, often embarrassed about my runny eyes (and nose) on the street walking to work in the mornings...
Old 01-10-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Off to bed sober for 10th night. My husband and I arranged a babysitter and went to the cinema tonight to avoid our usual Friday night binge in the house. I have some plans for the weekend to keep busy (including some treat activities-tv in bed, getting nails done etc) but my husband is losing resolve and may well drink tomorrow night. I won't drink but it may make for a much less pleasant evening.

As someone said above, I will deal with tomorrow, tomorrow.

Night night

Carly