Notices

Class of January 2014 Part3

Old 01-15-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Looks like we have a lot of day 15's here who decided to quit for the new year I too am on day 15 and am feeling pretty great! My quality of sleep seems to be getting better and better, I'm actually able to make it through the night without waking up several times and tossing and turning. Let's keep hanging in there guys, and here's to many more sober days!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

stick a fork in me (haiku)

pleasure is not the issue
mental clarity
sometimes it completely sucks
Old 01-15-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Day 9 is the beginning of another night with very little sleep, but I prefer being tired to hungover. And at least my sweating and constant nausea seem to have subsided. I am also beginning to notice that I am acting a lot less irritable to others and that my general paranoia has died down significantly.

You guys are all amazing. Wish I quit with all the New Year's Resolutioners in here, but at least we're in the same class!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fleuryp View Post
Day 9 is the beginning of another night with very little sleep, but I prefer being tired to hungover. And at least my sweating and constant nausea seem to have subsided. I am also beginning to notice that I am acting a lot less irritable to others and that my general paranoia has died down significantly.

You guys are all amazing. Wish I quit with all the New Year's Resolutioners in here, but at least we're in the same class!
Yep feeling sick/dying ALL THE TIME really, really sucks. I hated the constant nausea that only passed when I drank...only for it to start again right after I regain consciousness again. So happy that feeling has been killed
Old 01-15-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Zeepa and Fleuryp, I'm glad you're starting to feel better. You're doing great. And it will continue to get better, just hang in there.

Wow, day 15 , almost there - day 11 for me. Still struggling with sleep a bit. Even though I was really tired last night, I tossed and turned a bit before I finally fell asleep then I woke up several times throughout the night. But despite that, I'm feeling a lot more energetic these past few days and feeling so much better mentally as well. I did and said (and texted) lots of stupid things when I was drunk and some things I didn't even remember until I saw the evidence or was told about it.
I've been keeping very busy with exercising, reading and cleaning when I'm home in the evenings, that helps a lot. I even lost 2 pounds

OK, I better get back to work. Have wonderful day, January Peeps!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

I also assumed that the weight would fall off once I quit drinking. In fact, despite exercise and eating healthy, my weight loss was inconsistent and very slow, even when I went 60 days without alcohol. I have to admit that I have had to change my thinking on that issue. I have always been a yo yo dieter so my metabolism is messed up anyway. I am living a healthy lifestyle and but I do treat myself to extra helpings or even sweets, especially if it's going to help me fight a craving. Sobriety must come first. When I feel ready for gung-ho diet and exercise, I will. I think that everyone is different and sometimes I get soooo jealous of people who drop like 20 lbs in a month when they quit drinking. I have to get over it and realize that's just not me. I have other benefits others might not have: I tend to feel awesome very quickly, and I sleep like a baby after only one sober day.
Just do your best and try not to expect so much in terms of weight loss. It's frustrating though, I know!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

forabetterlife, so glad you're feeling much better and glad you're sleeping well, wish I could but I know that will come eventually. I think with me, my issue with weight and sluggishness was the alcohol combined with lots and lots of junk food I was eating when I felt so uninhibited. But, yes I'm feeling much better physically and mentally and that is definitely number one. As long as you're feeling better, sounds like you're doing all the right things, keep it up!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mulligan72 View Post
Hi All. This weekend wasn't too kind to me. After 10 days I was feeling absolutely fantastic. I made the choice to have a drink with my significant other at dinner (they are not aware I've made the decision to change my habits. I'd rather not discuss it with her yet).

So, I had one drink with dinner. It wasn't a big deal and did not lead to anything more. The following day I attended a sporting event with friends and coworkers. We drank steadily for hours, and it continued later on in the day into the evening. Fast forward to Sunday and I woke up feeling just awful. Definitely the complete opposite of how I had been feeling.

So, as I laid in bed watching tv all day yesterday, the least I could do is to think about what I did, why I did it, and what I need to do differently next time, because feeling the way I did yesterday isn't an option. It's interesting how 10 days away and then jumping back in for no apparent reason can give perspective.

What I've learned:
-I don't have the capability to draw a line and easily stop. This will take vigilance on my part to be successful
-Nothing can justify further hangovers. It's senseless.
-To me, the first drink is more dangerous than the 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc. Placing all of my energy against avoiding the first is more effective than trying to stop after it's too late.

Anyway, I'm not happy with myself over it, but what's done is done. In reading some of the thread there are a lot of people off to good starts! I'm using that as motivation to get myself back on track immediately, so thanks everyone
Hi all. I'm back on day 4, and I was thinking about the difference between right now and when I posted the above. Definitely feeling like night and day physically. I wanted to reinforce how much better it feels day to day (and I'm just getting started :-) ) when one isn't trying to snap back from a night of drinking.

I want to make sure I remember this as I work to apply what I learned over the weekend! While I'm not perfect, 13 out of 15 days since I started this is a decent start. Hoping I can improve on this going forward!

Best of luck to all!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Withope, it really is amazing how different we feel without alcohol! I hope the sleep comes for you soon!
On the same note, Mulligan, great job on 4 days, keep it up! I am on day 6 but with a slip in the middle that makes 11 out of 15 days sober. I'm not beating myself up, just going on from here. My life sober and my life when I'm drinking in the evenings is like night and day!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Hi! Just a quick note for those who are struggling/frustrated with the recovery weight gain--in my experience, I have found an inevitable weight gain when quitting the booze. For me, it is really about water. I was dehydrated when drinking and so water weight gain was a natural consequence. This is no big deal though, it all levels out in time. MyFitnessPal is a neat app that I found that tracks your caloric consumption and guides you along on your nutritional/weight loss goals. I've learned a lot by using it, and it keeps me aware of maintaining a healthy balance of carbs, fat, and protein. Just throwing this out there, as I have learned a lot by journaling how I eat and how I exercise.

Best to all you guys today!!

Much love,

MV
Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

MyFitnessPal is pretty neat. I have used it before and it was extremely helpful.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulu212 View Post
What a difficult and impossible day. I've lost a friend for reasons I have no clue about. I've also been asked to lead an effort that others thought was under control. I might be the most hated person in my firm right now. I'm not strong.
Welcome Carebearlost! We will all help you through, lean on us and we won't judge. Today is the day to change your life.

Lulu are you okay? Was worried when I read your post. You are strong or you wouldn't be asked to lead. I think one thing we have in common is self doubt about who we are and low self esteem. You can't worry now what others think of you, you need to be kind to yourself and wrap yourself up in a cocoon of self love to protect yourself from all this negativity. You can do it, don't let others destroy the hard work you have done so far. Please let us know how you are.

Me, woke up with another headache and patchy sleep. Had chocolate last nite to beat a craving which probably didn't help! Meeting with my narcissistic mother today which is always a trigger but my beautiful 21 yr old daughter is coming with me to hold my hand! Have a great day night my friends.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Hey Goldcoastgirl you'll be fine later You're in a really good place and its awesome to have supportive family with you to help you along x
Old 01-15-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Great Job on Day 15!!

Someone mentioned it recently in a thread, as time goes on and the more peaceful/relaxing sleep we start to get, in the mornings our bed starts to look as if its never been slept in, compared to our drinking days!! . . . keep pushing through!!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

2 weeks!! I'm so happy with that. Well done everyone, keep it up!

Thanks D for your words, you're right
Old 01-15-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Day 8 for me. Have had quite a good day (at least compared to the rest of the week so far...). Went to see a hypnotherapist for an initial consultation with regard to getting treatment for anxiety and self esteem issues. I'm having my first session next week. I feel really positive about it, like I might be about to really change my situation if not my whole life! Hope this positivity lasts x
Old 01-15-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

hope everyone has a good night. I haven't been able to read many posts this evening..I'll have to catch up in the morning. Hoping to close out my day 15 tonight.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Day 15 comes to an end. Is it half a month yet or do I have to wait until lunchtime tomorrow with it being a 31 day month? Either way, still dry and no cravings whatsoever. I find it so much easier during the week, work in the day and work out in the evenings, that coupled with the time with the kids I actually have very little time to think about anything else and I'm absolutely knackered come 9pm. It's the weekends that are harder for me as I guess is the case for the majority, but I'm guessing they'll get easier.

Main thing now is I'm a lot happier around the house and the irritable me has gone, I guess you could say the rest of the family are now seeing the 'drunk me' only without any drink inside me. Also the headaches have now subsided which is good as they were becoming a concern.

Feeling good, may it continue for eternity.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Congrats to those of you who have got to a fortnight

;-)
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats to all the day 15ers
welcome carebearlost!

time for a new part - join us here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html

D