Notices

Class of January 2014 Part3

Old 01-13-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

You will be OK Adee... Just a little consistency and they will snap into shape like you have done it for years. Be glad you have to chance to fix it now. Can you imagine if they left they house at 18+ and you never prepared them cause you were in a daze?

Keep up the good work... You are doing the hardest job in the world that comes with the least amount of instructions or appreciation...
Old 01-13-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Thank you, ronjohn! You are right - better now than never. Facing forward.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Made it past my dreaded day 4! Im not sure when the last time I had 4 full days of sobriety in but I believe it was like 2 years ago when I first started posting on SR. I love the weekend sobriety thread that Mecanix does, it increases my accountability at a time my triggers are ramping up.

Day 5 starting here for me, with another week of work, and a brutal on call schedule that tends to stress me out a bit. Should be fine though.

Have a great day January class! Keep truckin!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

And so Day 7 has begun. Really looking forward to rounding out a week. The worst of the withdrawal is over. Stopped sweating constantly, am able to sleep, don't feel nearly as nauseous, and my 5 day headache has finally subsided. It's a sunny day and I am happy.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Day 10 here, and like everyone else, withdrawals are starting to subside. Congrats to everyone who is doing so well. Busy Ay at work today, so I'll check in when I can. Have a great day/night everyone.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Joining again. I am on day 2
Old 01-13-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 days Kelle!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kelle96 View Post
Joining again. I am on day 2
Welcome back Kelle96... Good luck on your quest for sobriety!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Thank you!
  # 330 (permalink)  

12th night Haiku

Winters rabid hold
Snuggle down, sleep tight, sweat not
Heartfelt gratitude
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlelma View Post
Day 10 here, and like everyone else, withdrawals are starting to subside. Congrats to everyone who is doing so well. Busy Ay at work today, so I'll check in when I can. Have a great day/night everyone.
That's awesome! Keep up the good work!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by adee View Post
I know it's going to take time for all of us to adapt to me being more emotionally present in their lives after being absent far too often.

I tend to be pretty good about water under the bridge (have to be, to be a "good" alcoholic") but with my kids, it's a kick in the gut to see the results of passive neglect that I've been ignoring. I always would have said - "I may have a drinking problem but I still put my kids first." I'm coming to terms with the addictive lie that was. Or starting to.
I can really relate to this. I've only been sober 6 days, but yesterday I had a lot of reality checks.
"passive neglect" is the perfect word, my kids are loved and clean and fed and happy and have a wonderful Father, but Mom has definitely been on another planet.
I know my kids' bedrooms have been disasters for weeks/months, but I could never get the energy or motivation to deal with it. Well I went through my daughters' rooms yesterday and was shocked I let it get that bad.
Last night I was on the floor on my hands and knees playing "monster" and they were squealing and running and it was so fun, and then I realize "wait a minute, I haven't done this in months" and I could see in their expressions they were happy Mom was playing but they were also like "What the heck is happening right now, Mom doesnt do this..."
Just all sorts of things like that. It's amazing how much being hungover and sleep-deprived can change a person. Your whole personality. So sad.
Glad two of them are still young and can have the memory of a happy, involved Mother.

Oh...and hurray for NO imaginary heart problems last night! Fell asleep in .2 minutes!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Day 13 here. Feeling good, but taking my feelings very seriously this time. Not getting overconfident, not putting myself in situations where I will cave.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

60 hours here. I'm counting down to 72. I know that isn't the safety zone for sure, but so far, so good. No symptoms to speak of. Last night, I had some self-induced paranoia and hypochondria symptoms after googling about DTs. I took a benzo and was fine. The only reason I am so fixated on the symptoms is because I know that if they get really bad I'll be tempted to stave it all off by trying to taper. I DON'T want to go this way. It's day three for me. I already feel much better in the morning. I'm still waking up at night a little bit but I'm able to go right back to sleep. Before I'd either sit there awake if there was no booze in the house or I'd take a pull or two and be back to sleep. Lots of stuff going on at work today. I'm glad to be facing it without a hangover, without anxiety, with a shot or two of booze to kickstart my day. feel terrific.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hi All. This weekend wasn't too kind to me. After 10 days I was feeling absolutely fantastic. I made the choice to have a drink with my significant other at dinner (they are not aware I've made the decision to change my habits. I'd rather not discuss it with her yet).

So, I had one drink with dinner. It wasn't a big deal and did not lead to anything more. The following day I attended a sporting event with friends and coworkers. We drank steadily for hours, and it continued later on in the day into the evening. Fast forward to Sunday and I woke up feeling just awful. Definitely the complete opposite of how I had been feeling.

So, as I laid in bed watching tv all day yesterday, the least I could do is to think about what I did, why I did it, and what I need to do differently next time, because feeling the way I did yesterday isn't an option. It's interesting how 10 days away and then jumping back in for no apparent reason can give perspective.

What I've learned:
-I don't have the capability to draw a line and easily stop. This will take vigilance on my part to be successful
-Nothing can justify further hangovers. It's senseless.
-To me, the first drink is more dangerous than the 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc. Placing all of my energy against avoiding the first is more effective than trying to stop after it's too late.

Anyway, I'm not happy with myself over it, but what's done is done. In reading some of the thread there are a lot of people off to good starts! I'm using that as motivation to get myself back on track immediately, so thanks everyone
Old 01-13-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mulligan72 View Post
-To me, the first drink is more dangerous than the 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc. Placing all of my energy against avoiding the first is more effective than trying to stop after it's too late.
I think this goes for many of us here.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mulligan72 View Post

What I've learned:
-I don't have the capability to draw a line and easily stop. This will take vigilance on my part to be successful
-Nothing can justify further hangovers. It's senseless.
These sound like very good lessons you've learned! I'm going to keep them in mind too.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about that Mulligan... I will give you a Mulligan and you can start over with a new day one. Learn from our mistakes and move on. We all make them...
Old 01-13-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Have got to day 6. Most of the day I have been OK. Met a friend for lunch and a bit of afternoon window shopping in town which was nice but now am home and am tired and am getting increasingly frustrated with my 2 year old. I am irritable, agitated and feel very angry. I just want to scream and shout and break things. What would usually help is WINE but I can't have any. Just want to write it down, get it off my chest.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Cleaned the yard and scooped up the dog doo-doo and put it in the garage. Tomorrow is garbage day. Out go the last of heaps and heaps of bottles that were hiding in every nook and cranny of this house. An eclectic, sordid collection ranging from four packs of wine, to liters, pints and half-pints. I long ago stopped buying the big bottles since I was afraid of myself and how quickly they'd go down. As time passes, I'm sure I'll find more. when I used to find them, I would greedily slurp up what had collected in the bottom over time even if it was just drops. What a life.