Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 26

Old 12-31-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Soberjim. I just read your post about the oatmeal and the apples. I'm going to try that this very day! Do you have any hints about the recipe? Thanks, Elseware
Old 12-31-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi, Elseware. I think you ought to check in with us more often! You're cool!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
It's about 3.5 hours to the New Year at my part of the world and I've finally decided to decorate a Xmas tree) I have to be quick)
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

What fun, MB. I'm getting excited for the Winter Olympics! Wish by some miracle I could go over and see an event!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
waking down

Elseware - I have some simple ideas about oatmeal and apples - and any other fruit. I do this about every other day. I just cook some oatmeal and when the oatmeal is pretty much ready cook some diced apples into it. How cooked you want the fruit will dictate when you add it to the oatmeal. If you want the apples soft, add them when the oatmeal is still pretty wet. Put it in a bowl and sprinkle with cinnamon. If you're not avoiding sugar, it's good with brown sugar or honey, too. I do this with lots of fruits. Frozen blueberries thaw quickly in hot oatmeal. I prefer thick cut oats cooked almost dry like rice pilaf. It beats mush.

Anyway, I joined this forum yesterday, and glad of it. Today is day five of sobriety. I've quit numerous times to cleanse the liver and take a break, but this is the first time I'm seeking recovery. Simply put, I could have died. I am an alcoholic and I will never drink again. That's my mantra for the new year.

Hope you are happy and healthy. Right now I feel happier and healthier than I've been in quite some time. Going to a pajama party tonight - 50/50 drinkers and not drinkers, and kind of an older crowd, anyway. They want to watch the ball drop and turn in after 10pm (we're on mountain time). Not at all worried about being tempted. The horror of the last few days is still mighty fresh. This will be a far cry from my usual ritual, but right now I say snuggling with my wife and dogs has much more allure than drinking and dancing.

Stay healthy, y'all!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi Else, good to see you!

Rick, I am glad your wife understands the depth of your problem and is able to support you, it makes all the difference. If you cannot refund the tickets, I'm sure you could sell them on an internet auction site.

Tanja, awesome post, scary for that newcomer to have her sponsor of 28 years slip though. I think I will paste and copy the AV passage, it is scary.

Nel, I am so pleased for you! Congratulations sweetheart.

WWG well done on step one. No comment on looking back, fed up of telling you.

BF, I second Tanja, it takes immense courage to come back and own a slip, so thank you for trusting us to not be disappointed in you, only disappointed for you, as we all know how hard you have been trying. I absolutely agree a change of mindset is vital, I also think it is time to seriously consider AA, for the personal contact. Whatever else, pm me if you are struggling.

Steve, if your New Years Resolution is not to halve your working week, I want to know why!

NWTF, funny how sometimes a post will put a specific person in mind

Gilmer I am with you on punching things to resolve aggression.

Mb, sounds like you are a bit more centred. Like all things sweetie, this too will pass,

Carlos, I hope the man flu didn't affect your golf, we will reschedule the rhyme-off for the new year

Drake, glad you are doing fine.

Will check in later, don't forget, it is an Undie Pyjama party for anyone struggling.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Happy new year Indies. Sorry for mistakes as I am typing from my phone.
DP, CONTRACTS MY DEAR...you have been such an inspiration to all of us in so many many ways. I feel simply blessed to be on this sober journey with you. I hope that you have your most spectacular year ever. Sometimes the smaller the package, the bigger the gift ;-)
Tanjaa, that letter blew me away...thank you for that gift and the many gifts you continue to bring us.♡
Crazy busy travel day for me, so I must catch y'all on the rebound.

I am soon happy to have this group in my life! Woohoo, a SOBER NEW YEAR,'S!!

Carlos. Xx
Ps: I cannot stand typing on this tiny screen
Old 12-31-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Congratulations Dotty!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (28.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 12-31-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Elseware..

2 apples sliced and peeled; 1/4 cup of maple syrup, 4 cups of water, 2 cups of long cooking oats, 2 tps of cinnamon...dried cranberrries/walnuts if you like.

mix syrup with cinnamon and apple slices. Put coated apples at the bottom of the slow cooker and then pour oats (mixed with water) over the top.. cook for 6 to 8 hours on low..no need to stir.

Healthy breakfast in the morning that tastes great with a good cup of coffee

Jim
Old 12-31-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

That sounds fantastic, SJ. Yours too, Zero! Welcome to the Undies and to SR, Zero!

The pajama party idea sounds fun. I'm glad you designated today on the site as an official pajama party, Toots, because it's now afternoon here and I'm still in my bathrobe!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

DP - CONGRATULATIONS ON YEAR OF SOBRIETY You have been an inspiration to us all.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tanja View Post
DP - CONGRATULATIONS ON YEAR OF SOBRIETY You have been an inspiration to us all.
I agree Tanja---took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I made a Grace of myself!!!!!!

My super super long post disappeared. Sometimes, I use backspace and it's still there this time no.

I was away with a case of the blues but I'm back with a vengeance. I'm more hopeful about what the new year has in store for me.

I'm going to try to write a very condensed version of the "novel" I had written.

Carlos, thank you for your good wishes, I too want an interesting contract, and one that pays a bundle! I'm relieved to see that you're back on your feet.

Tanya, thank you for having typed the AV talking. It resonated with me.

BF, I had a long passage dedicated to you but it might have been guilt inducing so probably a good thing I lost it. I can only say that perhaps when sobriety becomes very precious to you and hard to attain, perhaps it will be a better motivation to not get that drink. I say this because it was so easy for me to start and stop. I've been giving myself so many 3 month breaks over the last 5 years, I never thought, I could be sober more than 90 days, and here I am, 365 days later. No, well, at midnight, it will be officially a year...

Abuse disorder is fickle and treacherous though. After 1 year - and I CAN'T believe you're talking about ME when I read your congratulations, wow, it's me, I still want that one "last" drink in the new year before staying on the path of sobriety, and yet, it's not happening because I CHOOSE to, so I guess I'm a one day at a time too.

In one of the worst year of my career / life, it's true I've been anxious, depressed but realistic, desperate but hopeful and I know that it's because I wasn't drinking! I know I was much less anxious and depressed than if I had self-medicated with alcohol and I hope I will give myself this gift for a long time still.

tomorrow, I will be teary eyed. I will go and post on the overies. I hope some of you will be there to welcome me. Thank you for your precious friendship towards sobriety. I truly have been helped, enlightened and warmed by your candid, loving, solidaire remarks.

Dottie, DP, Dorothy xoxoxo
Old 12-31-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I hope that, like the other recent graduates, you'll pop over here once in awhile just to keep us updated, DP.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Sober since October

So, Xmas tree is decorated, the apartment is somehow cleaned up, I am enjoying tea and reading SR)

Doroty - Congrats on one year! What a great way to celebrate the New Year!

Happy New Year, my dear Undies!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

What a great day, MB! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

MB I can't wait to take my tree down!!!! Haha

Hi Zero, I think our posts crossed, welcome to to be Undies.

Dotty, you may get a border pass to the OverUndies, but you are not allowed to move on a permanent basis!!!!

Gilmer, I'm about to put my cozy fluffy pyjamas on!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Sober since October

I've just seen the New Year in)

I hope 2014 will be a great year!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

We're non-synchronized, Toots! I just finished showering and getting dressed to cook my stroganoff (in a couple of hours).

The whole family will be hovering over me like Cinderella and the ballgown to help me in its preparation (fetching the wine from the gun vault, measuring it out, taking it out and dumping it when I'm done with it).

Maybe if somebody's feeling frustrated (like MB) I'll assign them the task of flattening and tenderizing the steak strips with the metal meat mallet!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Happy New Year, MB!