Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 22

Old 01-05-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Nuway2fly View Post
((Brooksie)) Sorry you're in a funk. I get the body image issues--they really bothered me when I was your age (and still do). Even considering the weight gain, do you feel like your life is on the right track now? Sometimes we have to make a strategic retreat in one battle in order to set up victory in a more important battle. Sounds to me like this is what you have done. The weight will come off, but being free of substance dependence is so much more important in the long run.

Articles like the one you read are a dime a dozen. They are based on generalities, not specific individuals. Keep at it--you will find a job.
I am feeling a little better. I was up late last night/early this morning looking at job sites.

I am applying to temp agencies and admin type jobs just to pay the bills for now. I am not in a position to be picky and getting into a regular, low-stress/non-challenging work routine will be good for me right now.

I will also apply for some jobs that are relevant to my degree (with higher pay) but don't have too many expectations.

I am just trying to stay positive and be proactive and worry about the things that are in my control. My bills are paid through January, I have food and transportation. I asked my parents for money and they are helping me out also.

Not the best situation but it could definitely be worse! Life on life's terms and all that jazz.

I am resuming my daily meetings tomorrow!

Thanks everyone for the support and just for being here. It's nice to know that I'm not alone!

:
Old 01-05-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Hey Br00ksie

I meant to reply to your post but it seems as if you have a solid grip. Stay in the present as anxiety doesnt exist here ! You're doing great !
Old 01-05-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

You are not alone Brooksie! You are tackling a lot right now. Job searching is not easy, especially when you are working as hard on sobriety as you are.

Dee, the premiere of the 4th season is tonight! I won't spoil anything!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL no worries Ren

D
Old 01-05-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

KELL: HEARTY CONGRATS ON 2 MONTHS !! SO HAPPY FOR YOU ! KEEP ON GOING

Old 01-06-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Good morning all. An unremarkable morning other than the fact that it is five days since I picked myself up after my Christmas slip. Will stop going on about that now I think! The slip was relatively short so thankfully I have not had major withdrawal or anything like that to deal with.

I don't know if I learnt some sort of psychological lesson as a result but drinking over Christmas really wasn't any fun. I feel increasingly that I have not given something up that was a pleasure but am freeing myself from slavery. That helps a lot with the mood issue I think.

All the very best to the class!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

That's the spirit Mentium, keep it up. I have the same sentiments, I feel free of my addiction to alcohol. Well, at least for now
Old 01-06-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Good morning all

Was in a depression last weekend everything just got on top of me. Feeling better now back in work trying to tackle one thing at a time not let things overwhelm me. Really wanted a drink Saturday night to just escape reality for a bit settled for hot chocolate and north and south instead.

Br00ksie good luck with the job hunting.

Renarde I love downtown abbey seen all of season 4 and the following Christmas special my lips are sealed hope you enjoy

Iommy hugs sorry you feeling down me too though sure we are better off without people who treat us badly xx

Hope everyone else is doing good xx
Old 01-06-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Keeping my fingers crossed for you to get a job fast Brooksie
Off to my parents and then to an AA meeting, haven't been to meetings for a month so it's about time
Old 01-06-2014, 03:11 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Good evening all

Just a quick one. I am pondering about AA at the moment. Not quite sure whether I should continue with the fellowship.

*Br00ksie alert: dont read the following*

I havent been to an AA meeting for a few weeks now. I dont miss them. I feel quite good in terms of my sobriety but then I am still in early days. Its just that I am not sure what benefit AA brings to me right now. I have shared my story to death. I can almost recite the shares from the other AA folks that I hang out with. ALso, there is something inside me that wants a deeper spiritual insight than what I think AA provides. That is why I am reading up on Buddhism. I find its precepts to be quite beautiful and resonate deeply with me. As well, with the 12 Steps, eventually they will conflict with Buddhist teachings. So, I am at a crossroads. I will speak with my sponsor (who will be horrified I am sure). Hmmmm......I also wonder if its just a phase I am going through.

Tallia: I am glad you are feeling better. Try to observe your feelings and detach from them. Let them be. Hopefully, they will gradually dissipate.

Thanks to all !
Old 01-06-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
KELL: HEARTY CONGRATS ON 2 MONTHS !! SO HAPPY FOR YOU ! KEEP ON GOING

Thanks Kane
Old 01-06-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find that interesting Kane cos, although I know nothing about Buddhism, I've seen many MANY threads here about the parallels between Buddhism and the 12 steps.

I remember this thread from way back:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lcoholism.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...12th-step.html

and a few outside links I found in that brief search

Kevin Griffin
White Lotus Judith Ragir Zen Priest and Teacher Minneapolis St Paul Minnesota

D
Old 01-06-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

If I missed it, I'm sorry Kellbell - congratulations

D
Old 01-06-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Kaneda, your thoughts sound rational, and would free you up for different avenues focused on bettering and centering yourself. I think that is far different than quitting AA, or not "working the program." Also, AA isn't going anywhere. You can always go back. It does not have to be all or nothing, from what I am told. I say all of this having never been.

Early morning after a few weeks of no school, or so it feels like it. Kids went back for a day last week, then a snow day Friday. Back to normal this week. I feel tired though. I was having trouble falling asleep last night. Did not get enough hours in at all.

Then, my daughter left in a snit, mad at me. So I feel out of sorts. I had to do some parenting involving looking at her ipod communications and setting boundaries and discussing approrpiate behavior. She did nothing sleazy, lol, but more that can make her vulnerable to internet strangers. So, she feels her privacy is invaded while we maintain we need to check these things once in awhile to be sure she conducts herself safely. It is a tricky balance. She is 14, but still very trusting and naive.

Sigh...

My boy has a bday today! Need ot wrap a gift we have for him(he got a bigger gift in the summer, to spread out the gifting since it falls so soon after Christmas). Making him a cake, and he requested his special dinner. His dinner is to have a sub from a local shop, lol. Truly was his request. Doesn't get much easier than that for the kids, lol. I will still make a dinner for hubby and I.

Right now, I feel like I need a nap today! I will have to get my light and see if it helps.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Just wanted to stop in and say hi! My New Year goals are in full swing starting today. One of my goals is to spend less time on my phone so you will probably notice less of me around here. I plan to check in with the 24 hour club each morning and check in here. In 2014 U want to work in having meaningful friendships and relationships..... Not based on alcohol and definately not based on social networking sites. I want to go out for coffee, dinner, movies etc.

On my list for other goals is to get back in a workout routine, run a 5k, get off coffee and eat better ( ultimately I want to become gluten free and paleo).

Sobriety was just the first step in becoming who God intended me to be.

Hugs to you all. Have a great and sober Monday
Old 01-06-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Administrator

If I was a parent, I'd be all over my kids internet access.
It's a real, literal, jungle out there.

D
Old 01-06-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Thanks for that, Dee. I want to give her age-appropriate privacy and independance, but she is still so naive! Or, she gets so excited about something, she is over the top, sending too many messages to someone, or on a socal site. I am not trying to spy on her thoughts, but trying to guide her to making safe choices and teaching her some "netiquette."

A couple fo years ago, all the 6th grade kids got phones, many got iphones, not my dd. She did get her ipod around then, and we watched what kids were posting to their favored social sites. I was amazed at some of the inappropriate behavior, and risky sharing of information, photos, personal info. Parents had no clue at all. Many never look at all. Though I know several who do, like I do. The police have done some community education on this and they advise us to monitor this activity.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

time for a new thread gang - have a good day!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-23-a.html