# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of July 2013 Pt 8

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...pt-7-a-20.html

D
Old 12-26-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't have anything to say just wanted to be the first to post in the new thread Oh, I am jealous of all of you who have more time off work, sigh, off I go. At least traffic should be light.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Hope you all enjoyed your Christmas and got everything you wanted I had a wonderful and sober Christmas, yay! Felt so good to sneak around with hubby on Xmas eve (after daughter fell asleep) filling her stocking and putting gifts out, all while sober! I don't even really remember doing this last year, how sad? Xmas morning we had our Xmas here (just the 3 of us) and then rushed to get ready to go to my Moms for brunch and Xmas with her and my brother, SIL and new nephew. Then rushed back here to get a ham in and have in-laws over for dinner. There were a few moments (after in-laws arrived) where I really wished I had had a bottle of vodka stashed upstairs, but fortunately there was nothing in the house so AV went back into hiding pretty quickly. Was such a great feeling to go to bed last night sober.

Was so happy to log on and read how well everyone did yesterday/Xmas eve. I really think we all gave each other strength and helped one another get through this challenge

Will spend most of the day cleaning up the house, ugh. But, at least I'm not hungover and heating myself today
Old 12-26-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oops, meant hating myself today, not heating myself, lol
Old 12-26-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow,Thanks Croissant and Snoozy.
I have to say, got a little choked up when I read your post.
Can't think of a better gift to myself this Christmas than 5 months sober.
Strange, even after 5 months that ole AV will still try to trick you.

I'm crazy tired today.
Glad I'm on vacation for 2 weeks. We had Christmas dinner at my house yesterday.
Crown pork roast and a turkey. Lots of goodies and lots of fun.

I'm so glad that everybody is doing so good. Let's all start this New Year off with a BIG sober Bang!!!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 months Bob! Proud of you
Old 12-26-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 months Bob and Croissant!

Ladybug I'll be cleaning today too. We've yet to have many people over to our new place but several family members will be coming over at various times over the next few days, and we're having a group of family members over Saturday night, so we need to tidy up and organize a bit (or more!) I'm actually looking forward to cleaning today, and yes how nice to do it sober or without a hangover!

Have a great sober Thursday everyone!
Old 12-26-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Bob - and anyone else hitting a milestone today

D
Old 12-26-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NorCaliGal View Post
Congrats on 5 months Bob and Croissant!
Oh no, not my 5 month anniversary. Snoozy misread my post!

Bobs the hero!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 170 for me I will be busy working New years eve and New Years day so no chance for me to have any relapse with alcohol. I hope everyone has a great, safe, and sober New Years. God bless everyone.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Bob, way to go on 5 months! Congratulations!

I had a nice time with my new friend on Christmas eve. We went to her son and his family, and I had ginger ale, and coke. It did trouble me that it bothered me that everyone was enjoying drinks of various kinds. I can't deny I had wistful feelings of missing that experience. My mood's been low since home, and I expect this is connected. This was really my first "challenge" around people who are drinking.

Then my sister FT'd me today and was talking about this really expensive red that my bro-in law took out of the cellar seeing as it was Christmas, and how amazing it tasted, and it bothered me. I thought I was doing better.

Today I felt flat and blah and tired and slept on the couch this aft. Then went for a long walk, but don't feel much better.
I know it's worth it, but this experience makes me wonder if I'll ever be ok around ppl who are drinking. Kudos to those of you who live with this every day.
Oh well, sorry to be miserable, but I just had to put it out there, because I am worried.

I'm glad everyone stayed strong over a challenging time.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me longer than my first year Leshar - your mileage may vary but I wanted to put it out there...I drank for twenty years - it took a little time for the train to completely pull to a stop

now I literally don't notice what people are drinking

D
Old 12-26-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think Dee is right Leshar. I was thinking this the other week. It's not going to be magical straight away. But boy some days are amazing! besides, you wouldn't have made this friendship at Christmas if you were drinking?

30 days felt insurmountable to me in the beginning...I couldn't even consider 48 hours....5 days was about the most I could think of...Wow, imagine if I got to 5 days. Hour by hour was a struggle.

And so the struggles change, but we have so much sober time now, if we didn't want this, or it wasn't working, we would have given up sooner. And to Dees point. There's a lot of undoing to be done, your first Christmas is not necessarily going to be all roses.

I'll say it again...are you eating healthy? Are you looking after your body? We can't expect the best out of this if we don't put an effort in. The days I binge on chocolate, I'm on the couch. The days I eat fruit shakes, veges and no processed food....I feel amazing!
Old 12-27-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I eat too much crap :/
Old 12-27-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
I eat too much crap :/
Ha, me too. I just notice a huge change when I eat well vs not well. And I mean properly, not just a token salad here and there.

We've slammed our bodies with poison for years, some good fuel can't hurt. (Yeah, not the best Christmas message!)
Old 12-27-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Leshar, I agree with Dee and Croissant. I think the first year is going to be tough for a lot of holidays/days in general. Our bodies and minds are still getting used to being out of a very bad habit. Essentially we were poisoning ourselves for however many years and it is going to take time for us to feel "right" again. Don't be too hard on yourself, you are doing so well. Allow yourselve days where you feel like crap and enjoy the ones where you feel great! That's what I am trying to do. I woke up in a great mood and feeling very positive, but I know that could change any minute. Especially when I leave the house to run errands and I drive past a liquor store. So, just enjoying the peace I feel this morning

Hope everyone else is doing well. What is everyone doing for New Years Eve/Day? Ugh is all I have to say .....
Old 12-27-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
now I literally don't notice what people are drinking

D
Thanks for this Dee. I can't even imagine getting to the point of not noticing what people are drinking, but you give me encouragement, as usual
Old 12-27-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, Dee, and all the gang for your support! This place is amazing!

I certainly would like to get to a place where I couldn't care less if others around me are drinking. It will take time and effort of course.

Yeah, Croissant, my eating isn't great. I'm not a cook, never much enjoyed that. It is another thing I want to address in sobriety.

My main goal for the next few months is clearing out and organizing my house to sell in the summer. I feel overwhelmed in the midst of "stuff". But I've got to do it, I will literally never move on and embrace new things if i don't do it!

Thanks again, all, you guys are the best!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi all -

Leshar don't allow your down feelings now to diminish the fact that you MADE IT THROUGH a situation where everyone else was drinking and you didn't. That is huge! Way to go!

I find that taking vitamin supplements has been very helpful in leveling out my moods. I know we're not supposed to provide medical type advice here, but you might want to research vitamin supplements and alcoholism. It comes to mind now that I'm typing this that while I've been off work I haven't been taking them as regularly as I did while working (I'd take them with lunch) - going to have to set a reminder on my phone!

Have a great sober day everyone!

NCG
Old 12-27-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I take B complex vitamin, multi-vitamin and also a fish oil.
Then put soy lecithin granules on my yogurt in the morning.
And every so often I take a C vitamin.

I'm not a crazy vitamin taker. But if it helps heal my body from any damage I've done over the last 20 years, I'll take it.

I just got back from a walk with my wife and the puppy. There's about 1/2 inch of snow and it was about 25 deg. outside. Plan to go and do a little after Christmas shopping in a bit. It's nice not to be hiding in the basement with a vodka bottle.