Notices

Class of July 2013 Pt 8

Old 01-20-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hi Lesher, sorry you are struggling so. Stay on here and keep close to us if you have to. Hopefully, your Dr will be able to see you. Also, for what it's worth, you do make sense. While I am probably not the best person to offer any advice on depression, I do know what it's like to throw many months down the drain. I think you know how that will make you feel - much worse than you do now, friend. Get out of your house and go for a walk, even if it is cold (fresh, cold air always helps me), then come home and take a really hot shower. Put some makeup on, do your hair and make yourself feel good. All easier said than done, I am sure. Just trying to make suggestions that usually help me feel better and lessen the cravings. We're here for you. Keep talking to us.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Thanks, Ladybug. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.

I have an appt with my psychiatrist tomorrow morning.

I guess it frightens me that I was so close to drinking yesterday.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Looks like I'm buying a house! Might make an offer tomorrow.

Sorry to hear of your struggles leshar. I hope you work through it and stay on course.

X
Old 01-20-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're seeing someone Leshar.
I'm sorry but drinking won't help.

best wishes Pete

Hope you feel better soon Ladybug

D
Old 01-20-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Fantastic Pete ;-)

You deserve this xx

Leshar so glad you didn't drink hun , proud of you .
You have my home number , please ring me me if you EVER get that low again ...I'm only a phone call away ...same to all of you here . Hugs xxx

Love you all xx
Old 01-20-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Beautiful 20 degrees here today ...at last :-))))))))

The heat has subsided , dear Julyers ....so my tropponess has subsided somewhat ...

Dunno what my excuse will be for a normal weathered day now lol ...

Work has been very busy , we have a lot of heavies in at the moment .
That means high demand patients ...those that need lifters to turn them over , those with dementia , those that are a pain in the arse for no other reason but existing to make the lives of nurses , cleaners , kitchen staff hell .

Always makes me wonder how people get so bitter and twisted in their lives that they see fit to abuse the people who care for them with love and kindness .

Had to grit my teeth yesterday as the woman in 24A made me change the arrangement of her flowers about 10 times ..each time i went to walk out she said " EXCUSE ME " you haven't done that right . I don't like them on the top shelf , take them down and put them an inch to the left ...excuse me ..( almost got a foot out the door )
Come back ! And put them to the right now ..oh and get my tweezers out of my bag , I'll be needing them later ...no please ...no thank you ... Just get , do , fetch ..

I found a good spot to put those flowers but alas , she was bending over at the time ..and I may have lost my job !

I was brought up to respect my elders but when they are born arseholes , its trying , even for me as I'm very patient .

...WAS ... Very patient .

Does that make sense ..that I got impatient with a patient ! :p

Glad to have the day off , but feel for the person who gets to do THAT room 24A

I'm taking Holly to the beach today .:-) she goes back to school next week and is doing matric ( matriculation) Year 12 .shes a little nervous and anxious .

I took her for her first driving lesson yesterday

She actually didn't do too bad with me white knuckling for the whole hour ! I still think 16 is too young ...i refused to let her as I said I'm happy to take her anywhere , plus she doesn't have a high concentration span.

But Rebekah took her for the test as she and Katie and Christian got theirs at 16 and blah ..blah ..blah ... Now you cant see Bek for dust now that the teaching part starts !

Its nice one on one Mum n daughter time anyhow and it wasn't too bad after all my fears.
* faints*

Beki will be starting her 4th year of psychology at University this year . She is doing really well , but i swear , some of the questions on her papers omg ! I don't even understand .
It's like they get this room full of academics together and get them to come up with the most ludicrous ways of interpreting the question in the first place and ....good luck with finding an answer to THAT wtf !

Christian is doing well running his own Mazda repair workshop and my little Katie (20) lol ...just plods along trying to find her place in life .xx luv her ...

We found out Christmas Day that his partner Cyra is having a Boy ...
Will be nice for darling Ryleigh to have a baby brother :-)

How do people go here when you have a DIL ..you don't like ...something happened at my MIL funeral with her and i just found it so hard to talk to her Christmas Day .
Some people get joy out of stirring things up in a family ..consequently ..the DIL tag suits her to a tee .

Did i say that ? :p

Lol feel better tho. :-)

Thanks for listening guys ..although you had no choice . It's been nice to relax and just write away after a busy week xx

I luvs yas all ..lol

Hugs xxxx

P.s Lewis has been good but Jack is in the bad books after running off under the gate at the dog park and trying to hump the huge male Alsation .

He is on lead arrest at the moment!

Xx
Old 01-21-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Getting a big snowstorm today, again. What is with snowstorms/being snowed in that makes me think of drinking? Guess it's because that's what I would have done this time last year. Made it home from daughters swim class without stopping and won't go back out now, but I am kind of cranky about it Ugh, can't wait until one day when these struggles are few and far in between. Going to make some peanut butter cookies now and try and enjoy the day

How are you doing today Leshar?

Hope everyone else is having a good one!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hang in there,Ladybug.
I'm the same way with snow storms. I had a bad habit of hitting the bottle store before a storm. Hang out by my wood stove and get stupid.

Now I go out in the weather and will take the pup outside and play in the snow.
Drink teas by the stove and watch the weather reports.

I think the cold is going to be the biggest issue here. We're talking high temps of 12 deg and lows of -5. And that without wind chill.

I'm prepared,the snow blower is ready,have some gas for the generator as well.
Never know what will happen,so always good to be prepared.
And I'm not talking eggs,milk and bread.lol
Old 01-21-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hi all –

Took a break for a couple of days from the computer and phone – had to rest my hands and put on some huge hand/wrist braces which made typing difficult, the tendonitis/arthritis was pretty painful this weekend. Did quite a bit of driving on Saturday and I think the long stretches holding the steering wheel wasn’t good!

Leshar, I appreciate your anger on my behalf when it comes to my boyfriend. And honestly, lately I can’t find what he’s bringing to the relationship – which is of course the impact of alcohol’s self-centeredness. And yes, he will continue to carry on in spite of my attempts to tell him how I feel and my concerns about his drinking. Because as we all know the drive to change has to come from him. He already is sneaking the hard alcohol, and honestly the sneakiness is just as bad as the drinking, IMHO.

I think some of my reluctance to really do something about his drinking is fear of making a hasty decision (like, moving out) that in the end may not be 100% in my best interest. I’m also a little angry when I think about having to move. It was quite expensive to move this time since I hired a moving company. It’s a nice house. I may decide to stay in it, and ask him to leave when the lease it up. So I am taking a wait and see approach. Right now he appears to be openly drinking beer – he bought a 40 oz beer the other day, it sat in the fridge for a couple of days then Sunday morning the empty was in the kitchen garbage. Oh, and he’s opened that huge bottle of beer we received as a Christmas gift – it’s about a third of the way gone so by all appearances (based upon bottles out in the open) he’s not drinking that much. But he’s got pints stashed in his truck, and is forever making up excuses of why he needs to go out in the garage or outside. He tried to dump the garbage twice on Sunday, for example, when it really didn’t even need to be dumped once!

And yes, it’s far from ideal at home. But it’s thankfully no trigger to drink (even when the 40 oz beer was the brand that had been my favorite – gee, thanks honey!) In fact, it’s even more reason not to drink. Watching him, and quite honestly how pathetic it is…well, I don’t want to be anything like that!

Saturday out and about was a challenge. The birthday lunch for my Pop required an hour and a half drive to a small town in the wine country. There was some sort of town-wide wine tasting event, so tons of people were wandering up and down the sidewalk, wine glass in hand, stopping at the numerous tasting rooms. When we finally got to the restaurant, my SIL had already ordered a bottle of champagne. (This is the same SIL who was flipping out at our house when she thought we were going to run out of wine.) Brother had ordered a beer. Then BIL and ABF ordered a beer, Sister ordered sangria, Niece ordered a wine flight, and on and on and on…multiple drinks including port with dessert. I had a soda, and a coffee with dessert. ABF had only one beer (but he doesn’t drink much socially – which is what fooled me at first – as I’ve said he’s a solo at home drinker.) SIL had continuous drinks. And when the bill comes, because it’s my Pop’s birthday my brother, sister and I split the bill. For eight people, my portion with tip was over $200!!! It was a moderate priced restaurant, and we had appetizers and dessert. But most of the bill was alcohol. And I didn’t have anything to drink! If it hadn’t had been Pop’s 75th birthday I would have said something, but didn’t want to make a scene. Note to self, next time bring cash and just pony up what our cost truly was! But this did not put me in a good mood.

Then immediately after head home, then leave for the crab feed. I’m not sure if everyone has crab feeds in your parts of the world, but essentially you pay for a ticket which includes salad, pasta, bread (the organizers are hoping you fill up on these) then cracked crab that you sit and shell and eat until you are stuffed or until they stop serving it. This particular crab feed also included a bottle of red and white wine for every four people or so at the table, but people are free to bring their own in as well. Oh, and there’s a bar so people can purchase beer, or mixed drinks – also sodas and waters for less cost than the alcoholic drinks. ABF has two beers at the crab feed, his family – except his SIL who isn’t much of a drinker and her pregnant BFF were the only people besides me at our table who weren’t drinking. Which was fine. Until the dancing started. There weren’t a lot of people dancing but I was dragged out on the dance floor by my boyfriend’s aunts (who I love, BTW – his family is just the greatest.) Now “serious” me actually loves to dance, but not when there aren’t many people dancing (and with no “liquid courage” allowing me to be out there!) I stuck it out for a couple of songs then went to sit down. And it did occur to me to have a glass of wine at that point. After all, everyone else in the entire world got to have a drink – at least it seemed this way by this point on Saturday! And that way I’d be comfortable dancing and I’d have fun. And I made up my mind to do it.

But the funniest thing happened. Even though I decided to do it, I couldn’t seem to make my hands pick up the bottle and pour myself a glass. This happened a few times, actually. Seriously, it was like my brain was not connected to my hands. Then we decided to leave (my boyfriend is not a dancer.) And it wasn’t until we were driving home that I realized “Hey, I DIDN’T have a drink!” And I’m still not sure how that happened, but then (and the next morning!) I’m so glad that whatever it was that prevented me from pouring a glass happened.

Note that it was after we returned home, and I had gone to bed around 11 pm or so that ABF consumed the 40 oz beer and I found the empty in the kitchen garbage the next morning.

Next day I was all set to watch some football (sorry Bob about the Pats loss – I was rooting for the Broncos though!) ABF went to run an errand (a legit errand, he was returning some folding chairs and tables that we’d borrowed.) But of course that means a side trip to the liquor store, and after “working” in the garage was drunk when he came in to watch the Niner game. Which he snored through, or asked repeatedly the same questions when he was awake. Now, even in my social drinking every-night-at-the-bar heyday I refused to watch football in the bar because drunk people who know nothing about the game irritate me! And now, I had one of those people on my couch. Ugh! Will have to come up with something so I can enjoy the Super Bowl.

This coming weekend is no football – I don’t waste my time watching the Pro Bowl – and my sisters’ 40th birthday party. Which my BIL is having at a nightclub in San Francisco called the Bubble Lounge. Three hour reserved private room with an open bar. Super. My SIL is thrilled of course. She loves champagne. I am long over my going out to clubs days, but it’s my sister’s 40th birthday, so into the City we will go. If I made it through this past Saturday I can make it through that, right?

Keep on keeping on, July-ers! Especially Leshar – I’m glad your seeing your doctor. I can’t imagine what you’re going through, but I’m sending good thoughts your direction.

Stay warm Ladybug and Bob. Not to rub it in, but it was 72 degrees in the wine country on Saturday. Crazy weather in January, even for California.

NCG
Old 01-21-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Ladybug,

My mom had a small whale's tail coming out of waves on her hip! She got it on a trip to Hawaii. In fact, it actually provided us with a laugh at a very horrible time after she passed away.

***warning, some may feel this story is in poor taste***

We were at the mortuary, making the arrangements. My mom wanted to be cremated, and the mortician asked us if we'd like to have someone visually ID the body before it was cremated (yes, seriously - it's amazing the decisions you have to make! and yes, it costs extra) So I said "call me crazy, but I'd like that" and the rest of the family agreed. And the mortician asked if there were any distinguishing marks that they should look for, so I said she had the whale's tail and the mortician asked what side? We weren't sure, so we looked at my Pop. And he holds out both arms and makes grabbing motions with his hand, like he's grabbing her hips, wiggles one hand a little more than the other and says "this one!" And we all just busted out laughing. The mortician thought we were crazy.

NCG
Old 01-21-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hi SnooyzQ and everyone,
I'm doing good just 4 days behind Petercrab. I'm just being a workaholic now busy busy have to keep busy building good habits and cognitive habits that are alcohol and drug free.
I was just watching "Saving Mr Banks" good movie I will not spoil it but one of the characters is a alcoholic.
I just started a driver ed class I want to try get my license. I haven't driven since 2001 so skittle nervous. It is costing me 70 dollars a class but now that I don't drink anymore I have money to waste on the correct things in life.
I listen to the Doctor Drew podcast while I work he deals in addictions. I just have workaholic addiction now it is okay because I'm single and don't have a family for now. God bless everyone fight the good fight one day at a time. Don't think you will never drink just think I will not do today.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Humbug -

Glad you checked in. I want to see Saving Mr. Banks. Love Tom Hanks!!

Also love Dr. Drew!! I've read his book, and watched every season of Celebrity Rehab. I think he's a hottie too, he he!

Good for you for taking the drivers ed classes! I always admire people who take concrete steps to improve!

NCG
Old 01-21-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Thanks NorCaliGirl little by little I'm improving myself
Old 01-21-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi all, I am in the same boat as Leshar as far as depression goes but have no desire to drink. Today is six months for me.

I do read everyday and feel each one of your joys and struggles. Thanks for being here.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Lulu , hi sweetheart. Its so lovely to see you again and congrats on your 6 months

That is such an achievement

Love it when i see a post from you .

Xx
Old 01-21-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Lulu

D
Old 01-21-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Congrats LuLu!!!
Thanks for stopping in and saying hello.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Depression can be tough. 2 of the many things I pray for everyday are peace & serenity. Someone must be listening, for the most part I feel pretty content mentally.

Toady is 6 months alcohol free for me also. Starting to come to terms with truly being a non-drinker. Mags1 mentioned in another thread which I can totally relate. "I didn't really know my head was foggy until I stopped. Then the fog lifted, slowly, wow, what a difference."

If there was ever a day to call in sick, tomorrow would be the day. Supposed to be a low of 6 F overnight & a high of 22 F. I work in the service industry & much of my work is outside. I would love to hang out at the house by the stove with my cats....oh well going to just suck it up & get it done. Besides the appointments are already set & people are expecting me.

Good night all.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to you too Robert

be careful out in the snow guys...

D
Old 01-22-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months Lulu and TnRobert!!!

It is 6 degrees here and we are digging out of a major snowstorm. Schools are closed, again (were closed yesterday, too) and it is too cold to even go outside and play in it. Need to find something to do with the little one. There's only so much coloring, painting, play dough, puzzles, reading, etc you can do. Oh well, at least I'm not hiding out sipping on a bottle of wine (vodka), which is what I would have done last year.

Have a good day everyone!