Notices

Class of March 2013 - Part 22

Old 12-26-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

It looks like we all survived!!!!

Sass, Happy Belated Birthday.

Had a good day yesterday, my friend came over and brought his two dogs. One played with Jez all afternoon and the other wanted nothing to do with those shenanigans.

Max struck out for higher ground when he saw the other two and stayed up there until they left, meowed disapprovingly at me and bolted out for a few hours.

Went to visit Keyweird this morning, she's back in the hospital, between the chemo and meds she's having a hard time keeping anything down. The doc said she should be able to go home tomorrow, at least until the next round of chemo/radiation.

Started tiling my shower enclosure today, it's gonna look great when it's done, but will take time as the tile I'm using is a bit pricey, so it's a little at a time.

Didn't do the microwave meatloaf, instead grilled some Italian Sausage!

Toots, that pic of canned Xmas food would been here had I seen it!
Old 12-26-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers Italian sausage sounds good Budd! Glad to hear Jez and Max are doing well.

I'm off to have a big spend in the natural grocer's this morning, kind of like Whole Foods in the US I would imagine. We are kicking back into holiday mode here though I must admit I did pop in making two loaves of bread and some labne (yoghurt cheese) yesterday.

Budd is Key still checking in here? I haven't seen her around but, if she is, I'll PM her.

Have a lovely day peeps, I'm sending a thought ball of sunshine and blue skies to you lot in the northern latitudes.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Thanks for the sunshine, Marcher! We needed it here.

Bud, poor Max! It sounds like he wasn't happy about being outnumbered! My little kitty feels outnumbered when there is anyone in my home besides me. She was severely traumatized during her first year so I give her lots of leeway and loads of snuggling :-)
Old 12-26-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Marcher, yes Key is still checking in, not posting ,but still reading and a little time in the chatroom.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Budd, I was just thinking about KW yesterday and was going to ask you next time I posted!!! Send her the Marchers deepest regards and best wishes please.

Just a quick one as away to bed, will catch you all tomorrow xx
Old 12-26-2013, 11:14 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BuddinK View Post
Marcher, yes Key is still checking in, not posting ,but still reading and a little time in the chatroom.
Thanks Budd.

I had a fun time spending ex-booze money in the natural grocer's this morning.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I'm here posting from McDonald's in the wee hours of the morning. I'm oddly disappointed that my watchdog employee "pal" isn't here to brood at me. Two really nice employees are. I obviously woke one girl from a sound slumber!
Old 12-27-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post

I had a fun time spending ex-booze money in the natural grocer's this morning.
marcher, that's super
Old 12-27-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hello everyone---I'm a ltitle crabby today. I had a disagreement with H last night and i'm still stewing about it. It's ok tho I didn't drink but, let me tell you. If I had something in front of me I strongly would have thought about it. Whoa ---that was close.
How is everyone else doing? It's Friday so, I'm ready for a week-end. Hope it goes better than last night. Don't worry I will keep busy. When I work all week I can find plenty to do around the house. Have a great week-end everyone. Sorry I sound so crabby.
Babs
Old 12-27-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi Babs, Better crabby than drunk! I remember that in the past every kind of emotion would seem to scream for a drink - it didn't matter if it was sadness, anger, delight or whatever. The solution always seemed to be to either cover up or celebrate and neither worked. The AV would like us to think it will. Instead, we cover over and don't deal with the negative emotions and blunt or drown the positive ones, leaving us absolutely nothing good. Hang in there - it takes time to develop new habits and to discover that when we are sober life looks and works better!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Thank you Sass you are so right. I should know at my age that nothing gets solved by tipping the bottle. Although it sure sounded good at the time. I was so angry at him I could have traded him off for a new model. Ha ha ha
I guess I shouldn't laugh he probably felt the same way. !@#$%^
Old 12-27-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Perfectly normal, Babs!
Old 12-27-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Babs, even when you sound crabby you don't sound crabby! I guess you saved the big guns for the old man! Hang in there. Maybe you guys can relax and watch some fun TV tonight.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Babs, even when you sound crabby you don't sound crabby! I guess you saved the big guns for the old man! Hang in there. Maybe you guys can relax and watch some fun TV tonight.
Oh I no Gilmer----my problem is that i can't stay mad long enough for it to really count. I'm such a jabber box that the silent treatment really kills me not him. ha ha
Old 12-27-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Sounds like me. I just can't stay mad long enough for anybody to really suffer!
Old 12-27-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

same here and if I'm right!!! it's not even talked about cause I will forget that I was mad.Grrrrrrr
Old 12-27-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hi twin Babs, sorry that was a wee tough moment, glad to hear your sense of humour.

Folks, i've deliberated about the next few lines: do I write it here, do I post it in newcomers, do I write it in my journal, do I not write it at all.

My maine concerns about you guys is that, thre's been a lot of emotion recently, then very up beats......I'm concerned I bring it down again

The newcomers; I don't know and as much as i'd value their words, prob not quite in the same way

Regards to keeping it in myself or writing a journal entry. I tried that last night.........but i've been awake all night, and still thinking.

Please allow me to share something that happened yesterday, nothing bad.....to me.

As you may know, i'm an emergency nurse and have started working a few clinical shifts again over the hols as don't do that many these days and good to catch u pom clinical while on leave.

Please bear with me this is long, i'll try to keep it short:

- Patient # 1: young alcoholic female, several detox and rehab admissions. Superficial slice marks to wrist, blowing 0.28: Plan, sober up, Psych r/v and home.

I entered the room, she was still under security watch as sectioned. We had a good old chat. We spoke about why she was here, prev rehabs, successions/failures. I believed in this girl so much. As part of my job I required her to describe physical symptoms she was presently feeling! DING DING DING, I could have written her speech myself. She described to me how much she wanted to stop on Christmas Eve, she's had prior seizures and couldn't find a doctor, she then tried to taper herself with just beer or two to prevent seizures. Full insight, sen by psych then sent offered temp supply of valium ( 2 days) asked if she could go to the toilet, then, vanished..........what to do?!!

Patient #2 Late 60's Diarrhoea for 1 weak. Arrived with husband. Lovely lady, fully insightful but if anything seemed a little anxious. All tests proved nothing sinister, given a few take home meds and guided on her way who throughout this whole interview session had seemed extremely articulate but quite, but words in where words due, he seemed the more capable one. Trama call bout 3 hours later. They had walked hand in hand across a level crossing, witnesses saying he was in front, her dragging behind. Who knows what happens yet, he's in ICU, she's RIP.

Patient #3. 58 year old with husband by side, had done rounds of Chemo since July, Mastectomy in Aug, Radiotherapy in Nov and after a lovely Christmas lunch and a couple ays of feeling awful presented with acute shortness of breath. After X-rays, etc, the senior head oncologist stormed down to her cubicle, closing the doors, inviting no clinical staff other than students to witness him tell this poor woman, she was riddled and they'd start scans immediately but prob wouldn't see past the first week in Jan.....he then walked back out the room and he shouted to a resident, "okay, who's next"! He didn't communicate with any of us on the floor, including myself as the principal carer, how foolish did I feel walking into the room talking about tea and coffee and the time of day! She took it well and we all had a cry together.

I obviously had many more than three patients today, but these for me are the ones who stand out. It brings me back to selfishness and the whole 'disease' phenomenon. This is not something I want to bring up for debate believe me, but, deep down I do have a control of this as did my first patient, but everything she said was just ringing alarm bells. My later two patients; what choice did they have, they were just dealt a bad deal.

# 2 patients husband turned out to have severe alzheimers, we didn't even pick it up and she was covering up, making up for her own symptoms, crying for help!

I make no apologies for this post (i'm not allowed to) but please excuse me for lowering the mood, i've few friends left to speak all this through with, many of this mornings staff left without a word, dealing with their own thoughts, hence, I brought it here. Thank you for listening
Old 12-27-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

LP, please don't worry about "lowering the mood" here of all places! Some things we and/or others deal with are awful. If you didn't feel anything, that would bother me. Feeling so much is really hard! Also hard is recognizing that there are people we can help and people we can't help. Getting to that point is exceptionally hard.

Hopefully we can support each other without judgment.

(((((Hugs)))))
Old 12-27-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Is there any way anybody can follow up on the alcoholic girl? I'll bet the lady with advanced cancer really appreciated you, even though were at a loss with "tea and cookies." Is that doctor like that all the time with patients in a sensitive situation?
Old 12-27-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers, and a very special hug for Babs, I can see she's online now so I'll just sneak up behind her, put my arms around her and s-q-u-e-e-z-e. Still grumpy Babs?

We have another divine summer morning here. I've just made my plan for the day which include a fair bit of prep for tomorrow for a big family lunch. There will be whole fish on the bbq, some unusual salads, sourdough and a raw chocolate torte. The next thing to think about is good sparkling water/fresh fruit drinks.

Have a good Friturday peeps. Stay strong and stay sober.