Notices

Class of May 2012 part 23

Old 07-14-2015, 02:01 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Hey Gingerbeer, you have my support. Keep us up to date on your progress. You know this May group had no rules... Well maybe we pushed the boundaries a couple times and found out there were some rules... This is about finding what works for us. For me moderation wasn't possible.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Roooooooocccccckkkkkkkk!!! I just posted in July thread to say hello. Great to see you here too! Keep plugging, buddy. You know it will get better. Personally I think we can recover and heal, but the minute a real alcoholic drinks again it's like ripping open a scar. Or shall we say, the relapse of an illness? Yeah that's pretty much it for me. And I've relapsed plenty. I was only class of May until November, 2012. Then I thought I could start cooking with wine again. I could, only more wine ended up in me than the dish. Took me almost four months to get back on track, make a new plan that was better than the last.

I never ever thought of myself as a "twelve stepper," but I did those dang steps. And now I feel free. So I'm grateful for that! It's really liberating to go through all your emotional crap and work through it so it doesn't have power anymore. Apparently I had a lot of crap, lol.

Gingerbeer, I'm with rock. You do what works for you, ain't no judginess over here. I will say for myself though, moderation was that thing I tried, manymanymanymany times. I found moderation for me to be about as likely as running into Santa Claus hanging out with the Tooth Fairy in Ireland chilling with leprechauns at the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, which I found by riding my trusty unicorn pal "fluffy."
Old 07-25-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wehav2day View Post
R Keep plugging, buddy. You know it will get better. Personally I think we can recover and heal, but the minute a real alcoholic drinks again it's like ripping open a scar. Or shall we say, the relapse of an illness? Yeah that's pretty much it for me. And I've relapsed plenty. I was only class of May until November, 2012. Then I thought I could start cooking with wine again. I could, only more wine ended up in me than the dish. Took me almost four months to get back on track, make a new plan that was better than the last.
Thanks WeHav!
Im still pluggin away since quitting a few weeks ago. It was a tough decision to make to stop drinking again. I knew I needed to for months but couldn't/wouldnt quit. But its done now. Feeling much better and my plan this time is to not get cocky and think I have conquered it by being sober X amount of time. I realize that when you get to the top, the only way to go is down. So no cockiness, no self congratulations, no celebrations, no trying, no overthinking, no wishing... it just is what it is.

I am so glad the 12 steps made such a positive impact on you. You sound great!
Old 07-25-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Hey HRB! Missed you too. Glad to have you back on the horse with me. Sad to say I slipped earlier in week on a biz trip and made an a$$ of myself in front of 2 colleagues. I'm not proud and I know I need to abstain 100%.
I can do better than this guys I know it!
Old 07-25-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Whoops I posted a little too soon....glad to have this reminder that it's been 3 years since my first class here. I am so proud of all that have stayed sober and those that keep working it. Xo to all!
Old 07-29-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Rock, you sound ready and rolling! Glad you decided to get back on the sober path..

It's funny, people don't know me as a drinker at all anymore. It's like collective amnesia, lol. No, it's really that people either met me as a non drinker, or the real friends I have from my past now accept me as a non drinker. I worried a while lot about nothing.

Kitty, thanks for saying hi, good luck with class of July, and stick with it it's worth it kiddo! Now every time I make an a$$ of myself, I remember it with stunning clarity.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:23 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Bumping this thread to read when I have time....I miss you folks....very crucial time in my life. On day 67 today.....
Lee
Old 05-06-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Hello Mayans!

I didn't realize this thread is still kicking around. I finally managed to stay sober after much, much work. I'm now living in a delightful Old Folks Home and Dee hasn't yet figured out how to kick me off SR!

Hope you are all well :-)

Sassy
Old 05-06-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Helloooo!!! How lovely to see this thread bumped up
Old 05-06-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Hi Saskia!
Glad to hear you are doing so well! Congratulations. How long, if I may ask?

Jeni--I'm going to keep this thread permanently bumped. I'm hoping it will entice some of our former classmates to check back in and this was such a crucial time for you and me. I've been re-reading all of my posts from 4 years ago, and I think we were BOTH in far worse shape back then. This group will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart.
Love you guys like family,
Lee
Old 05-06-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Jeni, I am also bumping the March 2012 thread too since we were a part of that one as well. We got this, friend!!
Old 05-06-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Tomorrow will be one year plus 9 months sober :-)
Old 05-06-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

That is simply fantastic!!!!!! So proud of you!!! XO Lee
Old 05-06-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Thanks, Lee!

It was a long, hard slog but so worth it :-). It has made enormous difference in my life.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:48 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Well done Sassy! Knew you could do it. I'm a little more than 3 months now, but it seems different this time, more solid, more real.

I'm still in touch with French Pink and OnelessLonely and we whatsapp from time to time...both doing really well and still sober. Rock is part of the group too but I haven't heard from him for a while. Me and wehav are really good friends and chat most days.

This was such a lovely little group and so important on setting me on the right road.

Just heading off to an AA meeting. I will see what I can do to round some of the others up. Have a great day folks ❤️
Old 05-07-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Thanks, Lee!

Jeni, for a while I didn't think I would make it and it took almost everything but the kitchen sink. I think I've finally accepted that I simply can't drink - not a single glass. They think that the type of gastric bypass I had makes people more prone to alcoholism. I already had some difficulty before surgery but it was 1000 times worse after. I never want to go through all that misery and really hard work again.

My March 2013 group has been a strong one. A good number of still sober members and although that thread has finally slowed down a bit, some of us still regularly keep posting. I also post daily in both under and over 1-year threads.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Hello Mayans!! I miss this class bunches too!!!!
Congrats on almost 2 years Sass! And congrats to Jeni and lee too. I am now 22 days sober after my last relapse and this feels different too- I got a sponsor and I'm going to meetings this time. I'm going to work the steps this time, how about that!
Thanks for the update on FP and OLL Jeni, so glad to hear they are sober! And yeah I have bumped into Wehav here not that long ago too. I am so proud of our Mayan class. I have so many fond memories - this was my first class, I've posted in quite a few others but you always remember your first love to you all!
Old 05-07-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Kittycat, good for you on your 22 days.

I think I finally learned that no matter how many relapses, it's still possible to get this done; it's just always a work in progress every day and I practice gratitude every single day.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

That's great work sass. I need to do that. Earlier today I was feeling sorry for myself, the usual stuff (I'm single, what's wrong with me, I have too many regretful mistakes in my past, etc) but I'm trying to refocus on the positive (I'm sober today, I am healthy, I have friends and family that I love dearly, I have so many blessings.) thanks for the reminder to be grateful!
Old 05-07-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Kitty, for about the first year, I kept a gratitude list (not just in my head). My goal was to add at least one thing every day. My experience was similar to others - initially I thought of the obvious but after a bit, I found I came up with many more unexpected things. It turned out to be far more powerful than I had expected. It led me to think in a much more positive way about my sober life and has helped more than I ever would have thought possible.