Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 2

Old 01-04-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's a good start

I found things got easier once I 'took the drink off the table as an option'.

Maybe thats happening for you too?

D
Yeah, that's it exactly. I even sat at the bar during my breaks at the New Years Day gig, drinking ginger ale and talking to my pal behind the bar.
In my mind I didn't have an option to ask for alcohol and it worked. Funny thing is, my bartender pal got sober years ago... he never even questioned my choice of beverage that night.

I tell ya, it was pretty awesome driving home that morning at 2 AM, I almost wanted a cop to stop me so I could show him I was sober..LOL
Of course, I saw no one on the road!! Haha.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Dan Dare, I've had the same thought about wanting to get pulled over, that's funny. I was picturing saying "No officer, I haven't had a single drink" and how weird it was for that to be true.

It's almost the end of Day 14. Today's struggle was a few different people trying to make plans with me for this week and next weekend. I'm not ready to be out there and I'm also not wanting to tell people why (except a few very close friends). I guess I'll just keep putting people off, making excuses. Today I met a friend for a walk instead of dinner because we usually drink a bunch of beer when we go eat. I figured as often as I can, I'll swap out what I used to do with various friends (something that involved drinking) with a non-drinking activity (a walk, breakfast, coffee). Of course the whole time during the walk, she was all "We need to go OUT, have some FUN, we haven't done that in ages!" and I'm thinking "I don't know if I can ever go out with you ever again." Sigh.

Drinking tea and watching the Justin Beiber documentary with my kids tonight. I thought it'd be unbearable to watch without wine but it's actually pretty good.

Wishing everyone a peaceful night,

Jackie
Old 01-04-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

34 days and love Ing It. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Ooof. At my moms and found a bottle of my favorite enemy champagne in the fridge. My mom doesn't entirely know I've quit drinkj and I can hear the words "can we open that bottle of champagne to cheers out wonderful vacation?" Coming out of my mouth already. Ugh. Just seeing it in there. I want to pop it and sit on the couch and drink the whole thing... Because that's normal thinking right. Just have to remember- I am free of the mistakes that are made when me and drinking mix. On the Eve of day 30 this situation pops up.... Exhale. Just writing it out I feel better... So thankful for this site!!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Awesome on 34 days Captb!! Jackie & Dan you are doing great!! Winding down in day 9 today - Have been "on the run" since 9:30 this morning......very productive day at home & great work out at the gym. Had my 20 year old son dropped by tonight (he moved out at 16 - mainly because of my drinking)....I have been worried about him....very to himself & seeming a little lost. I was making dinner & he shared some things with me about what's going on with him & his plans to go back to school....it was just, really really nice. Sitting here with my youngest son & girlfriend "chillin" with them - that would not be if I were drinking.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Tiger Lilli good to see you hangin in here
Old 01-04-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Mariah, good job on 9 days! And I love that you are making new memories with your kids that are free from drinking. I've been loving that most of all these last few weeks with my own kids. I feel like I have a lot of ground to make up so every day that passes is a relief to me -- one more day sober with my kids and we are all calm and more content.

Babs, glad you came to check in here. We know just how you're feeling; you're not alone. Stay strong!

Keep up the good work, all of you!

Jackie
Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

The Eve of your 30th is awesome Babs - Good for you in posting & not giving into it your going to have a great day tomorrow!!
Old 01-04-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Day 22...I'm still in shock at how blessed and healthy I feel in such a short time...I hope to continue this hour by hour, day by day!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

I feel a little sad now that I'm not part if this group any more, or may I get 'dual citizenship' this being my native SR residence? I slipped last night and so I moved to the class of January that being the natural course? I wanted to share this book called with you all which I just read a sample of, I can't wait to get my hands on a copy: 'Don’t Let the Bastards Grind You Down: 50 Things Every Alcoholic and Addict in Early Recovery Should Know, or How to Stay Clean and Sober, Recovery from Addiction and Substance Abuse' by Georgia W.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:18 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's absolutely no law barring you from posting here Soberella - I think it's good to move to the new group - the early recovery stage is different to anything else - they'll help you and you can help others with your experience there - but many people post in 2 or more monthly groups

D
Old 01-04-2014, 11:57 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,
I've been meaning to hop in to this class and welcome everyone... i want you to know that I think you're all fantastic for just showing up!

I was soooo terrified when I joined. I just held my breath. Having a sober life seemed like a whole different Universe to me in the beginning. ....Actually, it IS a totally different Universe!

If there are parallell universes, than I'm sure glad to be in the sober one, as I could already see where the other one was leading...

So, how does it feel to be where you are in your Recovery? (Wherever that may be.)
Old 01-05-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
Hi Everyone,
I've been meaning to hop in to this class and welcome everyone... i want you to know that I think you're all fantastic for just showing up!

I was soooo terrified when I joined. I just held my breath. Having a sober life seemed like a whole different Universe to me in the beginning. ....Actually, it IS a totally different Universe!

If there are parallell universes, than I'm sure glad to be in the sober one, as I could already see where the other one was leading...

So, how does it feel to be where you are in your Recovery? (Wherever that may be.)
Amazing, im day 15 sober and feel so good, love life I have god and my hard work to tgank for it
Old 01-05-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi class. Thanks Daz, how are you doing today.. Day 23. Feels like time has slowed down. No energy and soo tired, but trusting it will all get better. I know I need to make some sort of plan, rather than just not drink. On a more positive thought..living without all the negative feelings (especially self hatred) is pretty good. Keep going and stay strong everyone.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

I too feel great! Amazing to feel the difference and see it in yourself. I also noticed another thing... If you recall my best friend of 25 years and life long drinking buddy that works for me... Is still drinking and I can hardly stand to be around him after he has had a six pack. He repeats himself constantly and babbles like a fool, about nothing important. I can only assume I did the same and that is a GREAT motivator for me. He has slowed his drinking considerably because I have stopped. I also stopped tobacco use for the new year. It has been just as hard or harder than drinking. Just started day 35 sober and 5 days Copenhagen free. I would give my left arm to go back in time and kick myself right square in the rear end the day I started all this crap. I probably wouldn't have even listened to myself anyways.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Day 15 here. Even the days with no energy and when I'm feeling down, it's so much better than it was. Some of the guilt and self-loathing is dissipating. Whew.

Jackie
Old 01-05-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Oh, also, I've lost some weight and that feels fantastic! I think it took these past 2 weeks to get rid of the bloat and it's nice to have outward evidence of some of the changes going on.
Jackie
Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
waking down

Day 10 for me. I took a vacation from Christmas until now with a plan to detox. Feeling great, but a little apprehensive about going back to work tomorrow. So much of the stress that I used as an excuse for drinking comes from my work situation. I'm trying to wrap my head around having a more hopeful attitude about life, but specifically about work. I've long been convinced that the situation there is hopeless - that nothing will change - and that anyone with ideas who sticks there neck out gets it chopped off. I'm kind of ready to risk getting it chopped off. If I'm really that miserable there, I should try to make a difference, and if those pulling the strings don't like it, I guess I'll have to figure out another way to make a living. I need the income, but my work isn't about making money. If I'm not happy there I need to be willing to do something else, even if it means a significant cut in pay.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 122213 View Post
Good morning all! Day 15 here. Even the days with no energy and when I'm feeling down, it's so much better than it was. Some of the guilt and self-loathing is dissipating. Whew.

Jackie
So true, Jackie. Day 18 here and have been feeling tired and unmotivated all weekend, but it is still better than being unable to get off the couch because I am so hungover. Onwards and upwards we go!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Good Morning......tired today too....went like the eveready bunny yesterday...cleaning & organizing, grocery shopping, cooking, gym. Think I will try & "take it easy" today, read from the big book some. Ordered "Drinking, a Love Story" on Friday & looking forward to getting it this week. Ya'all have a great sober Sunday