Notices

Class of August 2013 - Part 8

Old 12-15-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Sean. Good to see you back here and know you are ok. We've missed you!
Old 12-15-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm here folks. Not feeling too great physically, just putting one foot in front of the other right now.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

A few days before reaching four months I did have a drink, if not much.
You kinda snuck that in there Sean. Any idea why you did?

D
Old 12-15-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I guess I take the ice fishing thing for granted. I assume everyone must know how it's done, lol.

It is literally a shack built to fit into the back of a truck ( for easy hauling) it has a tiny wood stove in it with a chimney and everything. I should have taken pictures of the inside!

The bottom is narrow ( think the width of a truck bed) and then it pops out about 2 feet on each side (those parts rest on the rails of the truck) and on the inside they are benches. I hope that makes sense.

We are on about 2 feet of ice so there is absolutely no risk of falling through or melting the ice with the fire, the heat travels up, so even if you had the fire on the ice ( which we've done before) it hardly makes a dent, and it gets incredibly warm inside. Warm enough that we were all sitting inside in just our clothes and boots, and I had to move because I was too hot by the fire! It really is a fantastic time.

Last edited by Sheknits; 02-05-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeanMc View Post
Hi folks, trust you're all fine. A few days before reaching four months I did have a drink, if not much.

My life's okay but I'm concerned about the future- I've been working in China but plan to move on to something else in the summer. The number of yes-men around who won't take a stand when something needs attention here, regardless of adverse effects on students, is depressing. Most of them then like to insinuate it's the guy who speaks up and rocks the boat is the problem in the situation- kind of laughable. Can certainly see how Hitler et al carried it off, if that's not too extreme to say...

Nice to have a browse through your posts and well done all round of course.

Best, Sean

Do you think the going silent and break in sobriety are related Sean? Good to see you back and love to have your pics as a daily thing again. What days are you on now, 7?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better soon FG

D
Old 12-15-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good to see you back, Sean.

Sheknits, that is so cool! I've never seen one of those. Now it makes sense
Old 12-15-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Jdooner: thank you for your kind words.

Elsewhere: I'm so happy for you! Thank you for putting them back and speaking to your mister about it. I can't imagine missing out on your wonderful point of view here in the forum.

Sean: welcome back! I'm sorry to hear you drank but I'm happy you are back.

Venecia: I'm pleased to say I did not run into any, ahem, professionals on our trip today. Lol. Knowing the surrounding area and population where we fish I don't think that is an encounter I would want to have!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Oh, I think I was writing as Advbike was posting. Trust me, the ice-fishing culture is *big* here.

A couple years ago, a big scandal erupted in one of major ice-fishing locations about an hour north of the Twin Cities when entrepreneurialism went to a new level: a prostitution ring working the ice-fishing "community."

The world's coldest profession?
Wow - sex while ice fishing does not seem too appealing. The story of the kid that stuck his tongue to the chairlift comes to mind with other body parts - ouch!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I just posted a huge post updating all of you on what's going on here and was automatically signed out after signing in to post. arrrgggg
Old 12-15-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry about that Johnny. I hope you're well anyway

If you're on a PC maybe use wordpad for the BIG posts

D
Old 12-15-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
I'm here folks. Not feeling too great physically, just putting one foot in front of the other right now.
FG - sorry things are tough…sending some pos energy your way.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hey Johnny, I'm sorry you lost the post and hope you're doing okay. Come back and at least give us the cliff notes version if you don't feel like typing it all out again.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
w2r

Great snow here. Great ski yesterday with my long time training buddies.
Not getting enough in though. So much happening in life this year!
Some real challenges, some really good things too. I'm very grateful for so many things these days.

I was so lucky to learn the truth about alcohol this year. My first eye opener was reading Allen Carrs, "controlling alcohol" last Christmas. Then stumbling onto SR in June. From what I have read I have experimented with moderation. I needed to stop daily drinking, and I am really benefitting from that, but I tend to be skeptical of everything new I encounter. I have yet to get my head around " Permanent Sobriety".
Anyways, its late, and I have to make my cup of Chamomile tea plus ice cream fudge bar
Old 12-15-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
w2r

The picture of the ice fishing shack reminds me of a very funny movie from the early 90's
"grumpy old men" starring Walter Matthau and Ann-Margret.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I needed to stop daily drinking, and I am really benefitting from that, but I tend to be skeptical of everything new I encounter. I have yet to get my head around " Permanent Sobriety".
Is it skepticism or simple fear tho, w2r?

D
Old 12-15-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Wow - sex while ice fishing does not seem too appealing. The story of the kid that stuck his tongue to the chairlift comes to mind with other body parts - ouch!
LMAO dooner! you guys are just cracking me up tonight.

Sheknits, I love that thing! What fun!

Kadi I love your new avatar. Beautiful!

I hope you all have a great week!
Old 12-16-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by w2r View Post
I needed to stop daily drinking, and I am really benefitting from that, but I tend to be skeptical of everything new I encounter. I have yet to get my head around " Permanent Sobriety".
I can't dwell too much on 'permanent sobriety' either yet because it seems so final and infinite. But I'm finding that it's easier to just take it off the table completely instead of trying to moderate.

When I was moderating (or attempting to) this summer, it was highly planned and calculated. I thought of the days in terms of whether I would or wouldn't drink and was very aware of the next time I 'could' drink and what and how much I would drink. My problem was ultimately that my moderation experiment ended back up to daily drinking fairly quickly.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I agree Kadi. I always ended up back in my regular pattern too. For me, even though I kept it under pretty tight control, the effort to do so was considerable. And over time my tolerance kept dropping, as to what would mess up my sleep, etc. I rarely drank more than planned, but that in itself took a lot of planning. I could never bring home a bottle of wine or a six pack or it would be gone.

My routine was to bring home one or two big bottles of a nice micro brew, maybe a wheat beer and a brown ale. Drink on my deck (by myself). Catch a mild buzz, do some (fantasy) planning, then an hour later go somewhere for a nice dinner and a glass or two of nice wine (again by myself). I went to nice restaurants and some of them knew me. Come home, surf the internet and go to bed.

After a week or two of this routine, I would get disgusted at my pathetic life and "quit" for some period of time. A few days, a week, maybe 2-3 weeks. A couple times a year I would make it over a month, every few years I would make 3-4 months. I would feel better. But always, inevitably, some special event, or emotional experience, or my stress and anxiety - would trigger me, and it was back to my routine.

I finally realized that no matter how much I could "control it", the addiction was still controlling me, with all the mental and emotional baggage that it carries. I was getting nowhere with this. My thinking was still screwed up, decisions were bad, relationship in limbo, goals not met. Year after year. It was a lonely existence and no way to live.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'll repost. I need to learn to copy the post just in case. All is ok.

Day treatment did not feel right. They wanted 5 days a week and it's hard for me to get out of bed. Plus 5 minutes with a psychiatrist once a week is not enough. Also the first day ended up being 10 paroled crack or dust addicts in every group. I'm not judging, it's just that there isn't much for me to relate to.

So I found a new clinic. An hour a week with a PhD therapist starting Wednesday. I know who she is, she's awesome, no bs. Plus an hour+ intake with a new MD next week. Then they'll get me services I need. All covered. I had the choice of going to the high end clinic and pay out of pocket, but this might be just as good or better.

Father has fully recovered from Lyme. It was a brutal case because he ignored symptoms for a month before it took him down big time.

Things with my sister are worse, if that's possible. She is completely insane. Maniacal. Has it in for me. She is on a campaign to see me in the street. But, she went ballistic on my parents and I think she dug her own grave. She's always been like this, but now that she has inherited a massive fortune her crazy abusiveness is at an extreme. It's been hurtful and I did drink the night before thanksgiving as I had no where to go for the holiday and my family was going to her house, besides being called a pathetic loser, a burden, scumbag, and I make her sick. This is just because of the depression and the fact that I don't work. Not because I ever did anything wrong or asked for anything.

Anyway, even though I did nothing wrong, I apologized and groveled to her just to try to end it. This was before thanksgiving. She spit it back in my face. I've had much larger arguments with people and made up the next day. Fact is she does not need us, or my father's money anymore.

Anyway I'm on my phone. Keep you abreast.