Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 20

Old 12-15-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't make a big thing of it Plenny...it probably means more to you than it ever did to her?

D
Old 12-15-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Thanks Dee and Lillian.

Not really a failure, but behind. I don't drink at all like I used to, and really, even with slips I have had, I don't identify with young recovery, withdrawals, and all the angst of newly giving it up. I do post in December a bit, but it is hard investing the time to get to know another group. I am attached to you guys, here.
I've been posting in November as well, but that thread hasn't bonded the way we have.

I was looking at the number of threads of other classes and we definitely get the award for most talkative class!

I thought all classes were as active as us.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
I had stopped by my landlady's house on my way to dinner at my friend's. Something had dropped in the oven and there was smoke swirling everywhere. I just tried to ignore it but my landlady asked her son's girlfriend to check. It was really a lot of smoke.

The woman said she saw nothing, perhaps something just dropped in the oven. I said, "Well, ______, as long as there are no orange flames, we're cool."

The woman is recovering from a house fire she was in just six months ago. Her hair was burned off, and her body was covered in 3rd degree burns, and she almost died.

And that's what I said on thanksgiving. And that's what's keeping me up tonight. There, I said it, I think I just used this forum to dispel some guilt, I thank you guys for bearing with me. I just can't get it out of my head.

It's like when my mother said to my deceased ex-boyfriend's grieving mother, "At least they were wearing their seat belts!"

I don't want to turn into my mother.
What you said and what your mother said do not compare.

It's not like you said, "I hope your house doesn't burn down again!!"

You were just saying that there was a lot of smoke, but it probably isn't a fire. The way you wrote it, you didn't sound offensive. If I get that, she probably did too.

What can you do to change the channel on your obsessive thoughts?

Watching something mindless on TV helps me sometimes, so does reading and escaping into a story. Glad you caught yourself when your mind started to run away with you and posted about it! I hope you feel better!

From what you've posted, you don't sound like you are ANYTHING like your mother! xo
Old 12-15-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Plenny, it's not like you said something dismissive about the house fire. You were talking about Thanksgiving dinner. That isn't the same thing.

When my baby died a lot of people made dismissive comments because they didn't want to deal with it or they wanted there to be a tidy, sensible conclusion/closure. I can't expect people to never talk about babies again or loss in normal conversation. Those are different things.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Brooksie, I love the quote in your sig!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

(((Renarde)))

I am terribly sorry to hear of your loss. Also sincere apologies if I had missed it before.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
This: "what is surprising is that my reaction is not one of gratitude for the positive changes I've experienced but envy at witnessing an earlier version of myself unencumbered by the burden of abstinence. I sat in a suite at the Savoy hotel, in privilege, resenting the woeful ratbag I once was, who, for all his problems, had drugs. That is obviously irrational." I am so glad he wrote this! "The burden of abstinence." I get that. Rochele, this kind of ties in to my thoughts when you expressed a little disappointment with your record earlier today. When I read that someone has slipped, I sometimes feel envy because that person drank. "That is obviously irrational." But it is true for me. Thanks for sharing this, Kellbell. And Rochele, you have helped me in more ways than you will ever know. And you're here. For that, you are a success.
I really resonated with that part as well. I found it very powerful because it is true for me as well. He brought an unconscious thought or feeling to my conscious mind and helped me label it as irrational. When I read that I felt like I finally got over a really tall wall I've been climbing. The AV clings to that kind of thinking and romanticizing. Now that I can clearly see it as irrational well I feel like I have one more tool in my tool belt.

I also liked his many mentions of one day at a time. It's simple but it's not easy. Yea. Exactly.

I think I've had like 79 sober days in the past 80. And I've done it one day at a time. Simple? Yes. Easy? Heck no!

That which does not kill us will only make us stronger. Amen.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that Kellbell. I also found he wrote very well of the inner dialogue we all have, though our individual drug and stories differ. I knew he was sober, but had no idea he had 10 years. wow. And it frustrates me to read he still struggles one day at a time, at times. I always hope someday it will be nothing to me, the desire to drink, ever, will be like the desire to eat lima beans. I never give them a thought. I do not dislike them, I do not particualry like them either, and I never cook with them, or buy them, or really, ever give them a thought. LOL. But I guess the AV never dies.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

I had a dream about fat girls and booze last night.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:13 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Plenny, I agree with th eothers, that your oven-fire comment was not offensive at all. You were concerned about the smoke inthe kitchen, and it fits that context. I understand obsessive thoughts, howevr. I can do that too. Ugh. So does my daughter. It came up in her therapy after her depressive episode. Things were haunting her, like something she said in class at school, and things like that. Little nonsensical things. I felt so bad ot hear that, because I identified with it and it can be so upsetting to have that negative chatter in your brain.

I have tired to have a mantra for those times. I developed it after I had so many regrets about my health, but was moving forward to make changes. "I cannot change what is done, I can only try to be better, moving forward..." I just repeat that to myself a number of times in my head to replace the chatter. I may rephrase it and change it around a bit, but I focus on that and the meaning of it, over and over, to replace the negative obsession. Sometimes it really works.

Also, others don't obsess over things the way we do. Well, some people do, but I think most people do not, at all. More often, there are characters in life who say whatever pops into their brains without filter and never give it another thought! Good thing they have people like us who remember that too. Just kidding!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

You like your gals chubby, Fish? That is refreshing.

How are you feeling today? How is your head? Did you go to the football game?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Oh yeah they're built for comfort...
Old 12-16-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

I'm feeling much better I did go to the football game I found it boring being sober changes the dynamics of about everything.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post

I've been posting in November as well, but that thread hasn't bonded the way we have.

I was looking at the number of threads of other classes and we definitely get the award for most talkative class!

I thought all classes were as active as us.
We are a very talkative Bunch we have closed a thread out every weekend but once because you were on vacation haha we love you
Old 12-16-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I do get mercilessly hung up on things like that. I do obsess. That's been around since I was very very young. Just feeling horribly guilty. I remember incidents where I'd obsess daily about something stupid I did and I'd just feel the guilt in my stomach. Sometimes I'd do the math and realize that I'd been feeling guilty and replaying an incident in my head for over a year. Punishing myself over it, too. Then one day I would think to myself that it wasn't that bad and though there would still be a dull sting when I remembered the incident, I could finally move on and think about other things. Until the next one. That's a memory from when I was 7.

I did get through the night because I voiced that one, I sometimes have to make public these thoughts so I can dispel their power over me. Sometimes other people, my husband included, think I'm annoying or nuts (the personality stigmas that have haunted me my whole life) because I say these things out loud, as if they're original thoughts that I stand behind. I quite literally have to vocalize thoughts to organize them. I wish I could explain that to the people in my life (yep I've tried).

Thanks for being my sounding board.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

I remember realizing very early on that other people didn't punish themselves the way I did. I knew that it wasn't a necessary part of existence. Always wanted to shed that tendency but it often has a mind of it's own. All that wasted youth...
Old 12-16-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
I'm feeling much better I did go to the football game I found it boring being sober changes the dynamics of about everything.
Welcome to my world of suddenly discovering all those reality singing tv shows kinda suck.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Renarde, it's crazy how people have no idea to react to a tragedy...
Some of the things people have said to me while grieving were horrible! I remember when my friend had a pretty early miscarriage, I tried to follow her lead... It was tough. It seemed like it comforted her to think about it clinically and detach, but not everyone feels that way!! You gotta follow the griever's lead, and let them do it however they need to until they can move on (within reason of course)
People project so much!! Even during the worst times! I'm sorry to hear it happened to you too. Context is so powerful....
Old 12-16-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Plenny.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
Welcome to my world of suddenly discovering all those reality singing tv shows kinda suck.
UI, this made me laugh out loud!