Notices

Class of March 2013 - Part 21

Old 12-14-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

JoyGirl, now that's an interesting one! I started out majoring in astronomy, spent a summer working in the Harvard and Smithsonian astrophysical observatories. Met some fascinating people (Carl Sagan among them) and worked on some interesting projects plus worked with some great people! I was going to transfer to MIT, major in physics and then do Harvard graduate school for my ScD (Harvard's version of a PhD) in astronomy. I had my life all planned out, lol! Then I made the mistake of getting married instead. I was a very messed up young "adult". I have always felt some sadness that I didn't follow my big dream. There have been other compensations and life is what it is. No matter what there will be ups and downs. We can only move forward. I do, however, treasure those few years when I was on that path.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Ok. Sass just pushed this thread over the edge. You met Carl Sagan?

You people and your offspring are way too smart for me. I once signed up for an astronomy course in college because it was supposed to be about whether there were alien life forms out there. After one class, I quickly realized that there was crazy math and physics involved. Something about parsecs and the like. I dropped that one quick. Since I have a liberal arts degree, I had to take at least one science class. I took geology in the summer. I can memorize rocks all day long. Wehav knows what I'm talking about

Sushi time! Yes, I ate it all.

IMG_0002.jpg
Old 12-14-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

wow, you are ALL too smart for me. I got a b.s. from a small state school in California. I SUCK at math. I had to take two semesters of math for dummies before I could take a course that actually counted. worked my way up, basically took math until my senior year. for some reason, precalculus clicked, so for two semesters (precalc and calc) I actually got b's in math. the ONLY times I didn't get my customary c's in math. thank god I was good at anything with latin in it, and aced all of those liberal arts fluffy classes we had to take. ;-) dd, you rock at rocks! :-)

speaking of rocks, I'm gonna have to post my trilobutt some time! the state fossil of ohio is the trilobite. it's an Ordovician period fossil, from a marine animal whose closest living relative is the horseshoe crab. they are kind of rare, and finding a whole one is really tough. when teaching geology, I tell people that if they find one that's amazing, they are more likely to find a piece of a trilobite, called a trilobit. If someone is especially fortunate, they may find the rear portion of the trilobite, we call that the trilobutt. of course this is all said with a wink, it's fun. it took me years, but I found a trilobutt. it's my prized possession!

i should have given shoutouts to everyone individually instead of writing all that nonsense, but I'm super tired now. so please accept a big, GROUP SHOUTOUT!

have a lovely evening/day everyone! wehav
Old 12-14-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joygirl View Post
Oh no! I have to clear something up... I am not 32, chronologically. Just mentally. That would make me, um, 16 when I had Angry Son? And I have an older son as well. So, lets say that I am really a decade + older than 32. I could have left it at 32, but I think some others here know my age... maybe? 32 was one of my favorite ages! I loved my early 30s. So I pretend I'm there again... Sorry SassyMom. Nuclear engineering? Nice. My Angry son is interested in Physics/Astrophysics. Which is basically Astronomy... As I've said before, I think, he wants to prove that God cannot exist... I dunno...
Ha ha JG. Good on you for owning up......I was most def going to intervene on that one!!! Until we received the company of DD, I was the baby......still a little gutted about that one DD!! I still hold the medal for being the shortest......not sure that's something to be proud of.........but, if it gives me an identity, hell yes, i'll take it! Pretty obvious i'm an only child eh, i'll take any glory going!
Old 12-14-2013, 11:48 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness..........What a bunch of incredibly bright Marchers we have. I feel like I don't belong this time, not because of a failure to quite drinking but because I don't have enough neurones to make enough synapses within the grey matter!

Just goes to show. Alcoholism as we are all aware i'm sure really affects the brain in the long term. What a waste of incredible intelligence it could have been if you all hadn't quit drinking/drugging. Just another reason to keep on the recovery road. A huge congrats to all of you. I'm so happy to have you all to lean on and aspire to. LP x
Old 12-14-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Oh BTW, I sucked at Tap show today, I dread the video, it's being uploaded to YouTube, aaarrrgh. OH well, maybe next year.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

We all have things we are good at! It doesn't matter what it is. For example, WeHav, I couldn't do what you do with those children. You make a real difference in their lives. All of us matter! I had a few glory years but sadly I wasn't able to reach my potential. But i did eventually find other work that was meaningful to me. It's what we do with our lives that counts. And yes, it's a bit of a high to have met Carl Sagan but that's not a lifetime of achievement - just a wow factor, lol!

Have a great day!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

life, I LOVE your posts, will you forgive me for putting out one nitpicky thing? you keep mentioning a "failure" to stop drinking. girl, this alcohol thing has had a huge hold on us all. that's why we are here. but you are NOT a failure at anything! am I bad to ask that you please please see that you are not a failure, but a success in the making? booze is just going to make you feel more like you are not worthy, and that's just crap. your addiction wants to separate you from the herd so it can win. I'm glad you are sticking with us, but please don't let alcohol separate you from the herd by making you think you are a failure. sorry that was so long, I just want you to see what a gem you are and booze is trying to take that away from you.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

sassy, carl sagan. carl. flippin. sagan. wow!

I met peter raven once, he's like the god of botany. he hugged me and I was on cloud 9 for like forever.

dd, that was some fine looking sushi. ever get hand rolls? they look like nori ice cream cones, I LOVE lots of nori. mmmmm, I can practically taste the snow crab one I'm going to get with my sister back in cali... I hope you are still in a great mood. I'm glad it feels so good to be off those painkillers. I bet a huge fog lifted! you are awesome to have done that ahead of schedule!

joygirl, your son sounds amazing. how does so much talent go into one person? wow. you must be an awesome mom!

toots, I hope the interview went well and you are all visa'd up.

duff, hope your meeting with your dad went well.

marcher, those chocolate almonds looked awesome, care to send some to ohio, usa? :-)

gilmer, whassuuupppp? :-)

chuff, you out there man? hope everyone is doing well today!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

ok, I have a story from last night for you guys... I was at my friends annual Christmas party/gift grab. last year, I had just begun my three month relapse but was only closet drinking. so I was pretty buzzed but nobody saw me drink. of course I had little flashbacks of the fact that I had never been to this party sober before, but that was ok. this is the group of ladies that we hang out at the cabins together and they are a great mix of drinkers, non drinkers, nobody gives a rats ass what anyone does and is cool.

well, it was already a little tough because everyone kept asking me about j. they knew she was going home to England but didn't know about her having to leave like she did. so I was not in the best ever head space, but it got better. then the gift grab thing started. it's pretty fun. there are some really nice gifts there, and occasionally someone gets something exactly right for them and so nobody takes it from them. but then some of these ladies are ruthless!

well, I got this amazing vase from a local potter that is pretty famous in the area. it was the same vase I almost bought j for our anniversary. it was even signed. (turned out it was from my ex hosting the party, we have always had similar taste lol). a few people eyed it, but nobody was taking it because they knew it would cheer j up a lot. well, one ruthless gall grabbed it. that was a bummer, but it's all fair at the gift grab. I went to get something else from the tree, and ended up picking... get this - a mimosa basket. cutesy heart shaped basket, oj, two champagne flutes and you guessed it - a bottle of champagne. I tried not to visibly wince. one gal there is in the women's aa group I go to sometimes, I was hoping she wasn't boring a hole in my head. my best buddy (from the dinner the night before) was there and saw the "EEK" look I had I think, she patted my knee. I was trying to figure out how to politely get rid of the champagne... it was good orange juice though. well it turned out my buddy got the absolutely last card, which meant she could steal anyone's gift. she stole the vase back and traded me. she is sooo sweet!

I only had the smallest moment, of "oh crap! what if I take this home and drink it?" followed quickly by, "oh heck no. I'm either re-gifting or pouring this out!"

overall, it was a very nice night with a lot of great company. I do love these gals. even the ruthless one, lol. thanks for letting me blab.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Oh my, WeHav! That was one very good friend who got the vase back for you and happy you didn't drink though am not surprised! (((hugs))) grrrlll.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I'm so pleased you got the vase back, WeHav! Remember, champagne tastes nasty. Even OJ can't mask the bitterness!

I just blew my voice out singing. Being older is rough. I guess I never learned to sing properly in the first place. I took lessons once, but the guy was opera trained and wanted to teach me opera. My upper register is pretty weak these days--I've always been a second alto or tenor. I just sang too hard today and then cough, cough, cough.

Then my 89-year old dad asked me a lot of complicated questions in the car. He's super hard of hearing, so I had to holler. That strained it even more. I'll have to go out and get some honey and lemon so I can soothe my throat with hot therapeutic tea.

I have a banquet tonight (the one they cancelled the wine for on my behalf). I'm looking forward to it. For the first time in a long time (maybe ever) I feel no attraction whatsoever to alcohol of any type. I'm just dead to it!

Of course, I hope I don't suddenly get alive to it in five months like I have the previous two times! Both times, though, I was away from the support of SR. This time I plan to stay on here where it's safe!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Who are you people??? Did I miss that this was Mensa Marcher group or something? Now I'm not an idiot or anything but definitely a low achiever. Quitting drinking was about the most successful thing I ever did and even that took me 15 years.

I had a light bulb moment. And I'm blonde so I'm not talking about the walking into the room and flipping a switch kind. Which actually still amazes me how that all works btw. I finally figured out that only I can make myself happy and only I can comfort myself. If anything outside myself gives me a little glimpse of nice it's just bonus and if it's negative it doesn't matter because I already know how to make myself happy and I already know how to comfort myself. Without any exterior liquid help.

Now I just have to practice what I learned.

Toots! Happy 9 months! Another sober baby!

Awesome job you athletic beauty Duff!

Sass, I would have thrown myself at Carl Sagan's feet and acted like I just met Bono. He is the coolest smart dude ever.

Life, I'm always amazed at how you do so many interesting things. You are the only person I know talented enough to tap with and fix their own broken toes.

Marcher, I would weigh 300lbs if I lived within 3 blocks of you. I would not be able to say no to one thing you ever made.

We, you just crack me up. You are about as well rounded a person as one can get. Please don't ever drink again. It just covers up how freakin special you really are.

Not only will 32 be better DD but wait till you hit your 50's. 40s can be pretty good too but I'm really liking my 50s now. Old enough to know better and plenty of sober trouble to get into. Plus the mental attitude of not really caring what anyone else thinks when it comes to keeping up with the Jones. I love being comfortable in my own skin.

Awesome child rearing Joy! Angry son is not so angry. He just is intense with all that brain activity. Yes, I think all your children will be just fine. Can't wait to see what happy son who likes the girls does. You did something right!

Got to go get my dad. I'll be back later to give you all a shout out. I lay on the couch and read on here while he is napping.

xoxo
Old 12-15-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Yeah, my 50s are SO MUCH better than my 20s, 30s, and 40s! Life really started for me at 45!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Shoe and Gilmer - Gah! Now you all are telling me I have to wait another 15-20 years to reach my peak? I'm screwed.

LTP - I think the most important thing about the past few pages of this thread is that alcoholism and drug addiction affect every people of all walks of life. Young, old, male, female, professional, blue collar, etc. It is the great equalizer. I actually really like that aspect. When I walk into an AA meeting, I'm not a lawyer. I'm just a sick drunk trying to get better like everyone else in the room.

We all have our talents. If I had tried to do tap dancing, I would have broke a lot more than a couple of toes.

And as much as I want kids some day, the thought of being in charge of a child scares the hell out of me. I don't know how you super moms like Sass and Joy do it.

Wehav - I like the hand rolls too. I like it all. I pretty much eat anything. Give me eel. Give me sea urchin. Give me octopus. And lots of nori!

Sorry your party gift thing got a bit complicated, but you obviously handled it well. And it's awesome you had some sober support there with you. I heard a guy share in a meeting last week that he went to his holiday party at a job he just started a few weeks ago so his coworkers didn't really know him. They got him a bunch of airplane bottles of liquor. This guy has like 60 days sober. But he had the strength to turn it down. People like you and him are so inspirational.

I'm just watching football and then will be off to a sober christmas party. Apparently, there are two hams. I have never had christmas ham. It should be interesting. The girl I like will probably be there, but so will all my other friends so equal time for all!

I was just thinking I've never made a new years resolution in my life. Maybe I should start this year.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

DD, you're starting your journey to maturity now. You've got a head start on me! I think we were just trying to say that by no means will you be over the hill at 50. You'll have just as much adrenaline and effervescence, but much more wisdom and gravitas. If you're great now (which you are), you'll be fantastic later.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Ok, Marchers, a word from Methuselah's older sis: older does get better - even at my age. The moving parts don't work as well but the emotions are (usually) calmer. Things that used to seem overwhelming, just aren't. We all end up at the same place sometime and that no longer scares me.

Shoes, I sure didn't hit the Mensa level in quitting drinking! You have more good, common sense in your little pinkie than I have in all of me.

Super mom I definitely was not! I did the best I could at that time. Fortunately I feel very lucky that my daughter turned out so well - but she gets the credit for that!

And finally,I met Carl Sagan when he had just finished his post doc and right before he went to Cornell. At that time he seemed a bit of a snob but that may have been a mis-read on my part.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

gilmer, yeah, and it's funny, I never liked champagne. I never liked hard alcohol either, but that little detail didn't stop me from drinking it if available...

shoes, you have this knack for saying nice things that make me tear up a little... thank you.

dd, one of these days you and I could cause some serious trouble in a sushi bar. my sister and I have been going to this one little place in san diego for like 20 years now. our annual sushi pilgrimage. it's awesome! I'm glad you are having fun tonight. we old fogies who have been taken since the dark ages can live vicariously through your dating life. how is "the little red haired girl?" :-) (Charlie brown reference)

ok, I'm gonna try to post a pic of the vase. if it works, the new vase is right underneath the picture. that's a picture my momma painted when I was a baby. I was so easy, she had time to paint, lol!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rookwood vase.jpg (27.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-15-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Good to see everyone in a chatty mood! Wehav, the interview is Tuesday. I travel to oxford tomorrow by train, meet hubby stay overnight, then Tuesday morning we will get the train together to London. After the interview I will travel direct back to Scotland.
I love that you ended up with the vase, karma had an eye on you last night!

I am putting myself firmly in the ' life gets better with age' camp. I have felt more comfortable in my own skin in each decade, and in February I begin my fifth, I have thoroughly enjoyed my forties, I feel more self confident, more at ease in my own skin.
I remember reading somewhere that we ought never compare ourselves to others. In every aspect, there is always some one better and someone worse . What matters is that we are the best person we can be. Now I can add 'being true to myself,' in a way I never could before.

Life, totally agree with Wehav, the words we use against ourselves say a lot for how we feel about ourselves. Task for the wee, pull yourself up every time you hear yourself saying any thing negative, thinking anything negative or writing anything negative about yourself. Even in jest!

DD enjoy the Christmas hams kinda prefer that to sushi. I like fresh fish, but not so fresh I could out it back in the water & watch it swim away!

Everyone, I'm tired now, really crap nigh last night sleep wise, and a busy day tomorrow so I need to get some shut eye.

Love yoose all xx
Old 12-15-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Wehave, love the vase and your mommas style of painting x