Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 19

Old 12-04-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Fish, what's working for me here is keeping a non-alcoholic drink in my hand at all times. No one is tempted to hand me anything, or if they try, I just hold up the glass I have in my hand and say "got it covered, thank you." And when I need to really leave, I leave before temptation gets the better of me. I know that point - bet you do to...where I'm about to say yes to the beer. Exit, stage right!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
Please give me strength. I am on a job in St Louis and the customers want to go out to dinner at a local brew pub ughhh.. Nice thing about it A gorgeous view of the St Louis Arch and Busch Stadium. However I do not have the power to turn down a freshly tapped keg of IPA
Fishy

Do you have an exit strategy if it gets too much ? Maybe plan ahead and tell the client that you are feeling a bit off-colour and hence, may be able to eat dinner but not drink or stay out too long.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Pull the old, "Taking antibiotics" line? Works for a temporary setting. Then you cannot go back on it either.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Exit strategy ? maybe a fake Booty call ?
Old 12-04-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I would avoid this excuse! lol
Old 12-04-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I had to google booty call. C'mon Fishy, devise a credible exit plan so that you can just up and leave as soon as you feel a craving !
Old 12-04-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Ha fake booty calls that would explain my carpal tunnel.

I'm sorry but I cannot drink tonight because I'm on antibiotics I have Wombat fever with a touch of rhino 33
Old 12-04-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Umm, yeah, there ya go, Fish. Almost got it.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Kane my problem is I'm already craving my AV has already kicked in.. You know Fishy it is a brewpub and you are out of Town a little bit won't hurt.

But I know that will not work..

If I get a bad craving I will tell them that I knocked my blood sugar out of kilter with the appetizers and I need to go lay down.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Geesh I am in such a weird place. I want to drink and yet I don't want to drink. I'm realizing that my drinking prevented me from developing any coping skills. I'm basically a mid-40s teen in terms of emotions.

Normal people don't get smashed every time something slightly difficult happens. I see this now. And yet I still so miss that comfortably numb feeling. Sometimes. Like right now after a fairly challenging day with my volunteer activities. Other times I'm proud I'm handling things like an adult and not drinking. I'm walking a tight rope.

I know I sound like a broken record. Woke up this morning and poured out the 12 pack I bought yesterday and didn't drink. I feel like buying another tonight. But I don't think I will. I like it when I'm sober at 10pm. I like waking up the next day knowing I haven't been drinking. It's about all that's stopping me though.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Kane my problem is I'm already craving my AV has already kicked in.. You know Fishy it is a brewpub and you are out of Town a little bit won't hurt.

But I know that will not work..

If I get a bad craving I will tell them that I knocked my blood sugar out of kilter with the appetizers and I need to go lay down.
You can do it !
Old 12-04-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Fish, don't set yourself up. Didn't your boss say you were going to lose your job if you don't get sober? I sure would not want you to sabotage your job. Blood sugar is a good one! And don't forget, you're not there to be the client drinking buddy, you're there to provide a professional service. I know you can do this!!
Old 12-04-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
Geesh I am in such a weird place. I want to drink and yet I don't want to drink. I'm realizing that my drinking prevented me from developing any coping skills. I'm basically a mid-40s teen in terms of emotions.
So what is the first step you are going to take to do something different and change all of this?
Old 12-04-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

LOL at Kaneda googling booty call.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Normal people don't get smashed every time something slightly difficult happens. I see this now. And yet I still so miss that comfortably numb feeling. Sometimes. Like right now after a fairly challenging day with my volunteer activities. Other times I'm proud I'm handling things like an adult and not drinking. I'm walking a tight rope.

I know I sound like a broken record. Woke up this morning and poured out the 12 pack I bought yesterday and didn't drink. I feel like buying another tonight. But I don't think I will. I like it when I'm sober at 10pm. I like waking up the next day knowing I haven't been drinking. It's about all that's stopping me though.
UI
I am glad to read that you dumped the beer and you want to stay sober more than you want to drink. However, I believe you need to really give thought on how to get more tools to improve recovery. White knuckling the urges is very tough and I think can only last so long. The suggestion to go see a therapist is a solid one and would be a pretty good starting point.

Have you given more thought on a plan?
Old 12-04-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
Old 12-04-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
OK, it's 11 degrees here (F) and temperature dropping at 10 am this morning, not going up. Snow everywhere!

Does anyone else find themselves with some anger issues since being sober? I'm not an angry person usually....very quiet and mild mannered....but honestly, if I could have punched a United Airlines ticket guy yesterday and spit in his face, I would have done it. Snide and condescending a-hole....but instead of blowing it off, it was like lighting a fire on dry kindling and I lost my temper with him.

Pete Townshend in his book talked about this - the anger he had to manage shortly after sobriety, and how his AA group warned him it's common? He had an incident at the airport security too. What is it about airports that can treat people so badly?

Anyway - it took me a LONG time to get over that incident. I was still angry even this morning. It kind of scared me. Perhaps I'm dealing with real feelings now and real life like an adult and my coping skills are very low.

I'm realizing that for my whole life, that my quiet nature means I often get kicked around. And it touches a serious nerve. Put that on the stuff to discuss with a therapist.
I had anger issues too. Maybe some of it was resentment or frsutration at not being able to drink...but I think most of it was simply not knowing what to do with my feelings sober.

I'd turned my feelings off for 20 years by applying alcohol liberally.
Especially anger. I avoided conflict...never spoke up.

For a while I went too far the other way. I was incendiary.
But eventually the inner rage subsided and I learned what an appropriate response was.

That being said, I sometimes still have a problem with letting things go - work in progress right?

D
Old 12-04-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
I am afraid to do that for fear of what websites would pop up!!
Old 12-04-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

However I do not have the power to turn down a freshly tapped keg of IPA
You really do have the power Fishy. Without you your inner addict is completely powerless. It has no arms, no legs, no body, no muscles...

No one else raises that glass to your lips but you. You're completely in the drivers seat.
Say no to back seat drivers

You're at a crossroads - one way leads back they way you've come - the other leads to something new - you already know where you been.

You were in despair. That road is not an option.

Time to strike out on the new road, mate
Old 12-04-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was a 40 year old teenager too UI. I was completely at a loss as to how to be an adult.

but..I knew to be who I wanted to be, I had to embrace change and try new things - and it got easier.

I learned to be an functioning adult - and you can too