Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 19

Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

OK, it's 11 degrees here (F) and temperature dropping at 10 am this morning, not going up. Snow everywhere!

Does anyone else find themselves with some anger issues since being sober? I'm not an angry person usually....very quiet and mild mannered....but honestly, if I could have punched a United Airlines ticket guy yesterday and spit in his face, I would have done it. Snide and condescending a-hole....but instead of blowing it off, it was like lighting a fire on dry kindling and I lost my temper with him.

Pete Townshend in his book talked about this - the anger he had to manage shortly after sobriety, and how his AA group warned him it's common? He had an incident at the airport security too. What is it about airports that can treat people so badly?

Anyway - it took me a LONG time to get over that incident. I was still angry even this morning. It kind of scared me. Perhaps I'm dealing with real feelings now and real life like an adult and my coping skills are very low.

I'm realizing that for my whole life, that my quiet nature means I often get kicked around. And it touches a serious nerve. Put that on the stuff to discuss with a therapist.

Fifth, so glad to see you back!
Fish, ICE CREAM!! Woo Hoo!!!
Renarde, good move staying home.
Kellbell, you're getting a job offer. I feel it coming your way!
Melina, I hear a lot of logic in your writings. You're an inspiration.
Rochele, I bet your scarves are beautiful.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
A Hooters restaurant and bar was attached to the motel that I stayed at last night.. A Hooters girl beat on my door for about 30 minutes...

I finally got up and let her out :-

Fish!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
Just finished working out for the first time since June!!!

Meeting was awesome! I wanna make this my daily morning routine. IT feels great! I'm sad I'm going to savannah for 10 days which will f*ck up my flow, but I'm trying not to let my trip to Savannah get me down.

I cannot control the fact that I have to go. I just have to do the best I can with my given situation! Trying my big-girl-panties on for size!!
Brooksie - Good for you!!!

Best of luck in Savannah ~ I know you can do anything you set your mind to do. You're really strong.

It's like I tell my strong willed daughter....anything you want to do, you can do. The trick is channeling that energy!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BLKDIESEL View Post
~~~Food For Thought ~ Humpday Edition~~~
~~~Don't Worry, Be Happy~~~

The temptation to hold on too tightly to things we need to let go of can be overwhelming. A bad relationship, trouble at work, money problems,or a general dissatisfaction with our stations in life are common things that keep us up at night. Most of the things we worry about the most are things we cannot change, and yet, we let them wreak havoc on our health and well-being. Teaching ourselves to let go of unnecessary worry is the only way to live a healthy and fulfilling life.

~Focus on what can be changed.~

The best way to come up with a solution to a problem is to meditate on possible solutions. But what if your problem cannot be solved? We cannot change anything but ourselves, so everything else is not worth the energy it takes to worry about it. Look at every situation that worries you and ask, what can I change about myself to make this situation better? if there is nothing more you can do, you must trust that it will work out for the best and that you did everything you could. Focusing your valuable time and energy on improving your habits and outlook will yield much better results than any other pursuit.

~Take a chance.~

Humanity's entire history has led to the amazing masterpiece that is you. You are capable of wondrous things that will shock and inspire not only yourself, but those around you. You will never know what you can do, however, unless you let go of fear and take a chance. Pushing yourself outside your comfort zone will make you confident and will build to a collection of skills and experiences that are uniquely yours. Let go and talk to new people , go somewhere different, or try a new hobby,and you will be free of the limits you think you have.

~Make a difference in the world.~

The deepest peace in our hearts and most important legacies we leave are all results of the differences we have made in the lives of others. Creating something that leaves the world a better place than when we found it banishes the fears and doubts that hold us back. Let go and do what you can to make a connection with someone else and your life will have purpose and meaning. Every day is a new chance to do something that makes a difference.

Happiness comes easiest to those who aren't looking for it. If you cannot let go of the things you can't control, they will only control you. Take a chance, make a difference, and do not allow fear and doubt to hold you back. ~~~Karina Loureiro.~~~

~~~Make It A Sober December 2 Remember~~~
Hey Blkdiesel

How are you travelling these days ? Thanks for these posts !
Old 12-04-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Sorry your day was marred by that incident, LG. I've had those moments of searing anger, too. Very much out of character for me, as I presume it is for you. Not sure about a more specific cause than recent sobriety. Like you said, maybe the lid is coming off some of the stuff we ordinarily tamp down? I hope you can quit thinking about it; don't let it steal your present time. My volcano moments have been short lived. I hope yours was as well. Say no more than the word "airport". We all know what a cluster mess that implies.

Wow, 11 degrees! Now that's cold, especially if it's windy and cloudy. If you and the kids venture out, keep as much skin covered as possible to avoid frostbite. I hope it moderates while you're there so you can have a more enjoyable outdoor experience.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
OK, it's 11 degrees here (F) and temperature dropping at 10 am this morning, not going up. Snow everywhere!

Does anyone else find themselves with some anger issues since being sober? I'm not an angry person usually....very quiet and mild mannered....but honestly, if I could have punched a United Airlines ticket guy yesterday and spit in his face, I would have done it. Snide and condescending a-hole....but instead of blowing it off, it was like lighting a fire on dry kindling and I lost my temper with him.

Pete Townshend in his book talked about this - the anger he had to manage shortly after sobriety, and how his AA group warned him it's common? He had an incident at the airport security too. What is it about airports that can treat people so badly?

Anyway - it took me a LONG time to get over that incident. I was still angry even this morning. It kind of scared me. Perhaps I'm dealing with real feelings now and real life like an adult and my coping skills are very low.

I'm realizing that for my whole life, that my quiet nature means I often get kicked around. And it touches a serious nerve. Put that on the stuff to discuss with a therapist.
LG,

I hear about this ALL THE TIME in meetings.

I most often get angry in situations where people are rigidly bureaucratic, and usually calm down by telling myself that I will not always get my way, I cannot control everything and everyone, and I try opt for a plan B.

I have a really smart mouth and bad temper, but I'm also pretty patient with people. I have learned the hard way that keeping my mouth shut when I'm on the edge always bodes well for me!

I find venting after the fact helps, but I try not to dwell or rework myself up.

F*ck that United Airlines ticket guy!!!!

Have you ever seen meet the parents? Your post made me think of Ben stiller when he was trying to get a flight out and had an encounter with a psychotic ticket agent.

They can totally be the WORSSST!

Hope you're enjoying your vacay post-airport and are staying warm!
There's always hot cocoa in the lodge!!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

LG, FREEZING! Bundle up! I also have had some anger/frustration issues. Mostly they were with my husband. God bless him, he's very anal and critical and impatient. Getting drunk for half the day made me not care at all about his stuff. When I quit drinking, I wanted to kill him for about 6 weeks. It has gotten better, but it was clear that I drank so I could just not care less about that. I also found myself getting more worked up about things. I thought I was so easy going and enlightened because nothing ever made me mad anymore, but I am starting to think that some of that was coming from the fact that I spent half my time intoxicated and it made me apathetic.

I made it to school. Took an hour. I just saw my sweet friend - he filled me in on some issues he's had. I have always thought he might have a drinking problem, and he looked like hell and he had the post-binge smell on him. It made me sad. I gave him some big hugs.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

LG,

I hear about this ALL THE TIME in meetings.

I most often get angry in situations where people are rigidly bureaucratic, and usually calm down by telling myself that I will not always get my way, I cannot control everything and everyone, and I try opt for a plan B.

I have a really smart mouth and bad temper, but I'm also pretty patient with people. I have learned the hard way that keeping my mouth shut when I'm on the edge always bodes well for me!

I find venting after the fact helps, but I try not to dwell or rework myself up.

F*ck that United Airlines ticket guy!!!!

Have you ever seen meet the parents? Your post made me think of Ben stiller when he was trying to get a flight out and had an encounter with a psychotic ticket agent.

They can totally be the WORSSST!

Hope you're enjoying your vacay post-airport and are staying warm!
There's always hot cocoa in the lodge!!
That is seriously one of my favorite movies, partly because my dad is a copy of Jack, down to the cats. I LOVE that airport scene, especially when she's calling every section to board and he is the only passenger waiting there.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

A very successful and inspiring person I know who has built an empire, basically, posted this today and I thought it might be motivational to some other people too:

"Action is so much easier than the debate that goes on in your head. Instead of thinking, analyzing, building a story and feeling guilt, decide to take action immediately. Do the opposite of what you have been doing to get a different result. The key is to not stop until you see what you want to see in your life. This takes a LONG time but the rewards along the way are beyond what you think possible. They are only for the patient and faithful. Are you ready to live an extraordinary life? You have to the things that masses won't. One bite, one workout, one new thought at a time."
Old 12-04-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
A very successful and inspiring person I know who has built an empire, basically, posted this today and I thought it might be motivational to some other people too:

"Action is so much easier than the debate that goes on in your head. Instead of thinking, analyzing, building a story and feeling guilt, decide to take action immediately. Do the opposite of what you have been doing to get a different result. The key is to not stop until you see what you want to see in your life. This takes a LONG time but the rewards along the way are beyond what you think possible. They are only for the patient and faithful. Are you ready to live an extraordinary life? You have to the things that masses won't. One bite, one workout, one new thought at a time."
Love it!!

That quote pretty much sums up who I want to BE!!

Very inspiring/motivating! I just took a screenshot of it! (For my virtual vision board)

Old 12-04-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
That is seriously one of my favorite movies, partly because my dad is a copy of Jack, down to the cats. I LOVE that airport scene, especially when she's calling every section to board and he is the only passenger waiting there.

It's one of my fav movies also!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I need to do a vision board too! I have so many goals. I love having goals - it is where I get my power. I need to have things I'm constantly working towards. I find it so energizing.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Please give me strength. I am on a job in St Louis and the customers want to go out to dinner at a local brew pub ughhh.. Nice thing about it A gorgeous view of the St Louis Arch and Busch Stadium. However I do not have the power to turn down a freshly tapped keg of IPA
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your washer situation.

Maybe you can find a better one that fits!
I think I did! Went local and it should arrive Friday. Let's hope this one works out. Bonus, they don't have to haul away my old one. It is gone. The other guys refused to put it back!

Anyway. I hope Savannah is not too bad for you, Brooksie. I remember the discussion about it and your frustration about it being too long and all of it.

Renarde, I am glad you decided not to go out in the early morning weather. I was worried about you and kiddoe braving that if you did not truly have to do so.

Fish, you always make me laugh. You are very funny.

NewLeaf, Nuway, thanks for your support!

KellBell, have you heard on the job, yet?

Fifth, I do remember you, we all do! You were here when we all started out together. Finish with us! You have not been around, so don't know that a few of us have also struggled. I have had a relapse since September and have tried to refocus. Stay with us.

Off to start Brooksie's scarf! I'll send you a pic when its done and if you like it, I can send it, sweetie.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Please give me strength. I am on a job in St Louis and the customers want to go out to dinner at a local brew pub ughhh.. Nice thing about it A gorgeous view of the St Louis Arch and Busch Stadium. However I do not have the power to turn down a freshly tapped keg of IPA
Yes you do! You have done it before. You DO have the power and you've shown all of us you do. What will happen if you get drunk with a client and get out of control? You can handle this Fish. Stay close to SR.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

What she said, Fish. I was just going to say the same thing.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

LG, I get flustered too, though not always angry. My heart will race and I get anxious if I get angry or in a conflict like that unexpectedly! Sorry you had such a bad time with it.

I am sorry it is sooo cold, and you got all that gear to play outside. But it sounds brutally cold. I hope you guys can still have some fun!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Oh, yes, you do! Fish. Seriously. Drink a sugary soft drink before you go and order one first thing when you get there. Say yes to free refills all evening long. Throw a ton of sugar at that AV and build up that abstinence muscle. You can totally do this. You are The Fish and The Fish will not be deterred.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
I think I did! Went local and it should arrive Friday. Let's hope this one works out. Bonus, they don't have to haul away my old one. It is gone. The other guys refused to put it back!

Anyway. I hope Savannah is not too bad for you, Brooksie. I remember the discussion about it and your frustration about it being too long and all of it.

Off to start Brooksie's scarf! I'll send you a pic when its done and if you like it, I can send it, sweetie.
10 days working in my suuper type-A control-freak non-understanding mom's law office. I grew up getting drunk and high down there so there will be triggers around every corner!! I will probably be posting on SR allllll the timeeee!!

Glad the washer worked out!

Also, excited for my scarf!!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

I want you all to know, you are in the Circle of Trust.

Love that movie too!!!