Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 19

Old 12-04-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
Toffee chip. TO DIE FOR.
Because of this post I left the motel walked half a block in the rain to buy me a salted caramel shake from Steak N Shake
Old 12-04-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Brooksie, I vote meeting! Wear yourself out today and sleep well tonight!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
Because of this post I left the motel walked half a block in the rain to buy me a salted caramel shake from Steak N Shake
Good job on getting exercise, Fish!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
Brooksie, I vote meeting! Wear yourself out today and sleep well tonight!
Going to an 8:45 mtg.

(((Grace)))
Old 12-04-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
What do you think you can do to beef up your recovery on Thursday, rochele?'
What changes can you make?

D
Usually, I just throw in the towel, and go for instant gratification with a "**** it" attitude. And I go grab a beer, sometimes even before hubster starts to drink.

So, I am already doing it differently. Being mindful of that tendency, telling everyone here, and making myself accountable, and I plan to pick up one of my hobbies that keep my hands busy while we watch out two Thursday night shows. So, I will make a hat or a scarf, . Anyone need one? Any color requests? LOL.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Usually, I just throw in the towel, and go for instant gratification with a "**** it" attitude. And I go grab a beer, sometimes even before hubster starts to drink.

So, I am already doing it differently. Being mindful of that tendency, telling everyone here, and making myself accountable, and I plan to pick up one of my hobbies that keep my hands busy while we watch out two Thursday night shows. So, I will make a hat or a scarf, . Anyone need one? Any color requests? LOL.
I would like a green scarf, please!!

More jade than emerald.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I will do it, seriously! Jade. I do have a ball of yarn with greens/blues/aqua colors in a marled chunky yarn. very cozy!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

~~~Food For Thought ~ Humpday Edition~~~
~~~Don't Worry, Be Happy~~~

The temptation to hold on too tightly to things we need to let go of can be overwhelming. A bad relationship, trouble at work, money problems,or a general dissatisfaction with our stations in life are common things that keep us up at night. Most of the things we worry about the most are things we cannot change, and yet, we let them wreak havoc on our health and well-being. Teaching ourselves to let go of unnecessary worry is the only way to live a healthy and fulfilling life.

~Focus on what can be changed.~

The best way to come up with a solution to a problem is to meditate on possible solutions. But what if your problem cannot be solved? We cannot change anything but ourselves, so everything else is not worth the energy it takes to worry about it. Look at every situation that worries you and ask, what can I change about myself to make this situation better? if there is nothing more you can do, you must trust that it will work out for the best and that you did everything you could. Focusing your valuable time and energy on improving your habits and outlook will yield much better results than any other pursuit.

~Take a chance.~

Humanity's entire history has led to the amazing masterpiece that is you. You are capable of wondrous things that will shock and inspire not only yourself, but those around you. You will never know what you can do, however, unless you let go of fear and take a chance. Pushing yourself outside your comfort zone will make you confident and will build to a collection of skills and experiences that are uniquely yours. Let go and talk to new people , go somewhere different, or try a new hobby,and you will be free of the limits you think you have.

~Make a difference in the world.~

The deepest peace in our hearts and most important legacies we leave are all results of the differences we have made in the lives of others. Creating something that leaves the world a better place than when we found it banishes the fears and doubts that hold us back. Let go and do what you can to make a connection with someone else and your life will have purpose and meaning. Every day is a new chance to do something that makes a difference.

Happiness comes easiest to those who aren't looking for it. If you cannot let go of the things you can't control, they will only control you. Take a chance, make a difference, and do not allow fear and doubt to hold you back. ~~~Karina Loureiro.~~~

~~~Make It A Sober December 2 Remember~~~
Old 12-04-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

So, 5 days now. we shall see if I get the itch tomorrow night. Thursdays are my big begin the weekend" temptation night.... I can successfully not buy wine, but the beer being here often is the gateway back into drinking for a few days.

It seems to me he has been avoiding a physical for a long time. I did that when I was worried about my health and drinking and did not want ot be found out. I wonder if he has any concerns? He has never been a very deep talker or worrier, so he simply does not talk about that sort of thing, not openly. We don't talk much at all about anything very personal. he doesn't anyway.....

I do think if there were some nudge, he may have it in him to stop. Maybe. But I think the best I will ever get is he would slow down and work very hard to moderate. he can do this for extended periods. He has great willpower. is that way with food, or used to do that with caffeine, etc...

I just wish we could do this together.
It amazes me sometimes, Rochele, just how similar our particular circumstances are at times. You already know there's alcohol of all sorts in our house 24/7 and that I've suspected my husband may be a problem drinker, at the very least. The funny thing is that mine had been putting off his physical for a long while.... kept rescheduling. WELL, he finally went a week ago and his BP was up a bit, his cholesterol was high and so was his blood sugar (pre-diabetic numbers). This scared him, and he's making some changes. He said he'd give up alcohol during the week, but I only see him cutting down to what he called "just a snort" of vodka or good scotch (essentially a big shot). At least this is better than two martinis or several beers, but it tells me he isn't ready to admit anything yet. He's scheduled for another fasting blood test in a month.

I, too, hope he'd want to do this together at tome point. We'll see.

As for tomorrow night... I love your plan to break out the yarn. Me? I could never watch t.v. and knit, crochet, etc. I'd love to multitask like that! GOOD FOR YOU! I'll plan on getting on here to cheer you on. We can do it.... if we just BELIEVE in and trust ourselves.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

My new washer did not fit. Too big for the footprint. There is a pan there and it is too small. Two washers there and always was plenty of room. Now I have no washer.

It was too good to be true. Story of my life. Oh well. Guess maybe I can make a dinner date to go washer shopping tonight. Worse things can certainly happen, but I am disappointed.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
Going to an 8:45 mtg.

(((Grace)))
Yay, Br00ksie!!! That's the spirit!!!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Ack, I'm sorry the washer didn't fit Rochele! That is frustrating!

Fish, that Shake sounds good!

Hang in there today Fifth!

Brooksie, good for you for getting out to a meeting today!

As for me, it's a big mess here! I'm so glad that I stayed home. Husband's plane has been delayed, no surprise. I need to clean up the house because it's a wreck.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm disappointed for you and your washer situation, too, Rochele. Rats. I doubt I would have thought about the footprint size, either. Thought these things were pretty standard, like stoves and sinks and such. Keeping my fingers crossed you will find a better deal to boot!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Just finished working out for the first time since June!!!

Meeting was awesome! I wanna make this my daily morning routine. IT feels great! I'm sad I'm going to savannah for 10 days which will f*ck up my flow, but I'm trying not to let my trip to Savannah get me down.

I cannot control the fact that I have to go. I just have to do the best I can with my given situation! Trying my big-girl-panties on for size!!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

I will do it, seriously! Jade. I do have a ball of yarn with greens/blues/aqua colors in a marled chunky yarn. very cozy!
I'm serious of you are, Rochele!

Old 12-04-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

My new washer did not fit. Too big for the footprint. There is a pan there and it is too small. Two washers there and always was plenty of room. Now I have no washer.

It was too good to be true. Story of my life. Oh well. Guess maybe I can make a dinner date to go washer shopping tonight. Worse things can certainly happen, but I am disappointed.
Sorry to hear about your washer situation.

Maybe you can find a better one that fits!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Do you have a different approach this time fifth?

D
Dee, thanks for keeping interest in every member of this forum.

My main 3 points for a different approach will be:

1.Post 2 to 3 times at least daily on this forum

2.Make plans hour by hour for my next day before I sleep

3.Read daily the Sober Recovery app from my android

any more suggestions would be mostly appreciated.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Fitfth, stay close this time. Hang here on the weekend. I know and remember the weekends are very hard for you.
That was so nice of you remembering others problems! I am astonished as it has been a while since I wrote that post!

seriously THANKS A MILLION !
Old 12-04-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

A Hooters restaurant and bar was attached to the motel that I stayed at last night.. A Hooters girl beat on my door for about 30 minutes...

I finally got up and let her out :-
Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by fifth View Post
Dee, thanks for keeping interest in every member of this forum.

My main 3 points for a different approach will be:

1.Post 2 to 3 times at least daily on this forum

2.Make plans hour by hour for my next day before I sleep

3.Read daily the Sober Recovery app from my android

any more suggestions would be mostly appreciated.
Fifth,
The book Living Sober really helps me when I want to drink. The chapters are really short and cover an array of topics on overcoming obstacles and taking care of ourselves when we want to drink.

It is not something to read cover-to-cover. It has lots of tersely worded tips and wisdom. I've included a link to an online version below.

It is what I look at whenever I'm feeling anxious or resentful about not drinking and I ALWAYS feel better after reading a chapter.

http://saphonemeeting.org/images/Living_Sober.pdf