Notices

Class Of December 2013

Old 12-01-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well, I didn't make it with the class of November. I caved in over the holiday weekend. Was really down on myself over it. Dusting myself off and getting right back to it. I really want this. Just realized I need a better plan for when things get really tough.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Signing up for this class since I didn't made it through July and September. This time, I plan on posting at least once every day. No denial or avoidance... just real commitment. Hoping that in addition to the 1st day of December, this will be my first day of "forever" sobriety.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good Morning to all the new SR members as we start December 2013.
I am a graduate of the November class. Last drink 11/12/13 so beginning day 20.
So glad that you have joined us. This group of people have been wonderful support to me that last 20 days. Helped me accept the fact that liquor is not my best friend as I previously had stuck in my head. I cried often the first couple of days when I decided to not delete that friend from my life. A true friend does not make you puke or squeeze the life out of you.
All I can give you is encouragement. The road goes from a 4 wheel drive boulder ridden track to a well paved expressway in due time. For some it takes longer to get on the expressway.
Just believe in yourself, stay connected with those that travelled before you, have a sober plan, think of the positives in your life, lose the negatives and you will be successful in your journey to a sober life.
Day 20 doesn't make me a success, but it does make me realize that each day brings wonderful things that I missed when I was hungover and planning my next drink.
Best wishes to all of you. Looking forward to seeing you in the January class.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Newleaf, you have a shadow. I thought I should post here too, since I drank this weekend and had a less than successful October. And...here you are!

Committing to December. I have been struggling with sobriety for 3 years, now. I get chunks, then moderate and get back to near daily wine drinking. Signed up in September, had 35 days and have had a few slips and a bad week since then.

So, really, need to commit again. This is my day 2.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Joining this December group with a strong commitment to staying sober through this holiday month. Sounds like many of us are in the same boat, struggling with the cycle of some good sober time followed by drinking and then back on it again.

Newleaf, I am also going to try to post every day and add that to my sobriety tools and accountability. This is not the first class I have joined but I know that one of these times (hopefully this one) will be "it".

Today is also my day 2, after drinking some over the holiday. I am catching it before it gets worse and carries over into December and makes me a mess for my favorite season of all. I have learned so much throughout these two years of on and off sobriety. Hope we can all get through this month and 2014 together
Old 12-01-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
dig

Classmates. Do you think it would be okay to tell a "white lie" when people ask me to take a drink and I decline with the reason being I've decided to alter my food and drink habits due to the bladder surgery I had?

Example: On the weekend, I was at my dad's place and he asked (politely and not pushy) a few times if I wanted a beer or a whiskey/coke and I said no. He kind of hinted at wanting to know why at one point so I basically said that I was changing the way I eat and drink to be healthier due to the bladder tumour I'm dealing with right now.

I know this seems like an easier approach than explaining to everyone how I have a problem with drinking and I quit after finding out I had the bladder tumour because although likely unrelated it was a wakeup call for me having two young kids and a beautiful wife that I want to spend many more years with alive.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dig View Post
Classmates. Do you think it would be okay to tell a "white lie" when people ask me to take a drink and I decline with the reason being I've decided to alter my food and drink habits due to the bladder surgery I had? Example: On the weekend, I was at my dad's place and he asked (politely and not pushy) a few times if I wanted a beer or a whiskey/coke and I said no. He kind of hinted at wanting to know why at one point so I basically said that I was changing the way I eat and drink to be healthier due to the bladder tumour I'm dealing with right now. I know this seems like an easier approach than explaining to everyone how I have a problem with drinking and I quit after finding out I had the bladder tumour because although likely unrelated it was a wakeup call for me having two young kids and a beautiful wife that I want to spend many more years with alive.
Sounds like another good reason to stop in a long list of reasons. Most normal drinkers don't understand us and trying to explain just makes things worse in my experience. Family is a little different, but acquaintances and work friends I always have an excuse (training for a 10k which is true). Rarely in my experience does 'I don't drink or I'm not drinking' result in anything but moral judgement or feelings like there is something wrong with us. Using a health excuse is not really lying as we are all trying to get healthier by not drinking.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am making today my quit day
Old 12-01-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

No drink December. Hoping it leads to no drink 2014. Which leads to no drink forever.

Hard to think about forever on day one though.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Today is my quit day too. Again. Sigh.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Dig, I think it is a great reason, and maybe even too much information. a simple,
"I am trying to be healthier" is adequate if you feel you need ot give any reason at all. In fact, a health situation is a time most people would try to make some changes or stay clean in diet to aid in healing.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

In Jan 2013 I lost my license. My answer was to then drink myself to oblivion every single day until I decided to quite and join the Marcher 13 class. I lasted 30 days. I'm still with that class but since that 30 day period, i've barely been able to go past 7 days. My mind has given me 'permission' to play "victim", for everything, no matter how small a life event, hiding behind the bottle has been my answer.

I just can't do this anymore. The finance, the lies, the self isolation, the looks, the health, the career, etc, etc, etc.

December class, Hi, i'm in, I'm in for good. LP
Old 12-01-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Today is day 1 for me as well. I am looking forward to not having the shakes at work every day, getting rid of the dark circles under my eyes, not being tired all the time, not having phantom bruises, not wasting all my weekends..... The list goes on and on.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi everyone Ithis is day 4 for me and I'm determined to stop for good this time, I've tried in the past never gone longer than av month never tried thru december so this will be intense
Old 12-01-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skye2 View Post
Just bumping this again for Dazmistry - here it is
Heu thanks dee im here
Old 12-01-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TinaInTexas View Post
Today is day 1 for me as well. I am looking forward to not having the shakes at work every day, getting rid of the dark circles under my eyes, not being tired all the time, not having phantom bruises, not wasting all my weekends..... The list goes on and on.
Tina in T, I could have written every word of that post, I mean EVERY word. One of the many many benefits of SR is a collective record of people's experiences and dark, embarrassing, shocking or confronting as they may be, it is an avenue of recognition that we are not alone. Welcome to all fellow and future Decemberites, we can do this. LP x
Old 12-01-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to all you newcomers

I think when we're newly sober, we kinda expect that people will need explanations.
I know I felt almost ashamed that I didn't drink.

If you're going to go with a reason, if that makes it easier, make it a general one - 'I'm trying to be healthier' is better than 'I'm in training' or 'I'm on meds' - both of the last two have an implicit time frame and temporary-ness about them.

I found in time that, outside of my drinking buddies, people were not nearly as interested in whether I drank or not as I thought they would be.

Most people simply don't give it a moment's thought

These days I say no thanks...if I'm pressed I'll say I don't drink.

D
Old 12-01-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

In December class! Again... Last year sober date was in December I got 9 months b4 losing it. That was my personal best . Looking to beat my best I guess.

You know how when a baby starts to walk they can only stand up for a bit then sit back down and crawl. Then they can take a step or 2. Then they go 3 or 4 steps to reach your outstretched arms each time. Of course eventually they string it all together and the next thing you look up and there they are walking.

That's how I feel right now. Like I took 3 4 steps now its time to just keep on going.

Just like the baby I gotta have that belief and faith that I can do this
Old 12-01-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi im from the septemerites welcome aboard. A great place to be. I love the 24 hour page it has kept me going for the lastv90 days
Old 12-01-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
dig

Originally Posted by TinaInTexas View Post
Tina, I hear you on this! The list does go on and on. One of my biggest positives thus far has been how much longer weekends seem and how much more time I have for my kids and wife. Your message really resonated with me. Welcome!