Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 18

Old 11-28-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thank you New Leaf! It feels good
Old 11-28-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
gigantic at almost 7 pounds and I'm trying to figure out why the hell I bought something so big. I also don't have the proper racks and such to cook it on. Us bachelors don't really need cooking racks very often (or ever until now). So it's just laying in a baking dish for the next 4 hours and we will see how terrible it comes out.
Just THINK of the wonderful leftovers, UI. I think your bird will be perfect, too. One recipe I came across the other day actually said NOT to put the bird on a rack to keep it more moist!

I'm going to spend most of my day writing a report for the court on one of the families I volunteer with.
Not sure what you're actual job is, but I've thought about being a volunteer advocate. Perhaps one of these days, when my own children are grown. Good luck with the report! I'm sure you'll get the message across loud and clear while being diplomatic. Those kids are lucky to have you.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Uninvited -- leftovers are my favorite part of Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
Good morning, friends! This thread is moving so fast!

I am thankful for this group in ways that I can't put into words. I guess it's the family analogy. You all are like the ideal family! No one ever says anything that is less than encouraging, and that is exactly what I have needed these past three months. But I know you all are speaking from a place of sincerity, which is just amazing. Thank you, all of you, for sharing yourselves and for helping me become a better person.

NewLeaf, I am in awe of you! I hope the race goes well and that you finish strong. You are my idol!

Kane, maybe I should throw a few snakes on the dinner table to keep me distracted this afternoon. It just might work.....

Fish, I hope your butt is the stuff of dreams.

UI, enjoy your feast. I am sure it will be delicious. And good luck writing that report. You are a blessing to those kids.

Lommey, Renarde, Talia, Rochele, Melina, Brooksie, KellBell, Plenny, and anyone who I missed, hugs to all. Have wonderful day, whether you are celebrating or not!

xoxoxox
Thanks, Grace!!! I actually beat my last 5k time by over a minute and it was a much more difficult course. I wonder what I might have done had I gotten more than four hours of sleep.

Your posts to everyone here make me smile. THANK YOU. Happy Thanksgiving to you!!!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Grateful for my husband, who helps tons around the house, and hopefully will this morning, by finding the bottom of the dining room table for me, lol. Never got to that, lol.
You mean I'm not the only one who can't see the table?

Hope you feel better today, (((Rochele))). Be good to yourself and.. let everybody wait on you as much as possible. You can't be Super Mom all the time!

Last edited by Emily2002; 11-28-2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Quote didn't post correctly
Old 11-28-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful day, Septies! I'm thankful for so very much, and that includes knowing all of you. Fixing to go to sister's for the big feast, will check in later as the day allows. Love to you all!

Fish, lol re your smoking butt.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Gosh, Dee. I forgot to thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you for your support, guidance, and inspiration. You are such an amazing part of this site; I really am so thankful for you!

Plenny, your update makes me so happy! Have a wonderful, baggage free day. You, my friend, have earned it!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

UI, 4 hours might be long. My 15 pounder is supposed to be about 3.5 hours. Just sayin'. Do you have a thermometer? 170ish is done.
Good call! It was kind of dry but edible.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hmmm, have started feeling a bit off. Been having some heartburn and feeling off for a day or two, and today think maybe I am a bit sick. Figures. I was attributing it to sampling sugary and wheat laden treats. Maybe that is it, but not feeling awesome.
Sorry to hear that Rochelle. I think I'm in the same boat. I have a flu shot so probably just a mild cold here.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=NewLeaf;4316899]
Not sure what you're actual job is, but I've thought about being a volunteer advocate. Perhaps one of these days, when my own children are grown. QUOTE]

I'm just a number crunching finance monkey in real life. Being an advocate is rewarding but fairly depressing too. We only get the worst cases. My state DHHS is so understaffed only the worst cases enter state custody. I guess it's not surprising to me that drug/alcohol abuse can make people do stupid things, but to see them continue along that path knowing they are literally months or weeks away from losing their kids forever is a little shocking.

For instance, the mom of this family has been literally unreachable all week. I left her three voicemails on three different days asking her to please call me BEFORE I write my report. No response. It just doesn't matter to her I guess. I don't really get that part. Even at my deepest depths of drinking I would have returned a call like that.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good call! It was kind of dry but edible.
Lol hope you enjoy :-)
Old 11-28-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hope you feeling better rochele and enjoy your day xx
Old 11-28-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Actually, now that I think about it, she might be in jail again. Very normal for her.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Actually, now that I think about it, she might be in jail again. Very normal for her.
Sorry to hear that xx
Old 11-28-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

UI, glad your dinner was edible. .

Sad stuff, those families. It is good that you are involved and trying to help the children. They will remember your kindness, and gifts.

Well, I am still feeling off. It is a nausea, heartbeurn sort of feeling, and tired/shaky here and there. Not a cold. I hope this is as bad as it gets. No fever. Not fun making food for the family, but I am glad we did not travel since I do not feel well. No pressure, really. I ate a lot of junk yesterday, so I wonder if it is just that. I usually avoid wheat and had brownies.

In between waves of this, I feel okay. weird.

Hope everyone is having a good day. No worries that I will even be tempted to drink with the way I feel. So, that is good. Looking at the bright side.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Check out my butt. Now that it has smoked for a long time. I'm going to move it to the crock pot sliced up a little bit add some sauce and simmer for a couple hours. Then my butt will be finger licking yummy

IMG_85913174599909.jpg
Old 11-28-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
Kane we were talking about Turkey when that's not enough food we stuff a chicken inside of a duck and then the duck into the turkey... quite creative the Turducken.

Attachment 20333
Holy Hat! I've never heard of that! How long do you typically have to cook it and how do you check the temperature(s) of the chicken and duck! It looks scrumdillyicious!

I warned my family that all I've made is NOT heart healthy!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Check out my butt. Now that it has smoked for a long time. I'm going to move it to the crock pot sliced up a little bit add some sauce and simmer for a couple hours. Then my butt will be finger licking yummy

Attachment 20336
Fish, that is gross and I love you.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Attachment 20336

Not sure about that last sentence, Fishn' LOL

Really though, that butt sounds AWESOME.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post

Fish, that is gross and I love you.
What's gross