Notices

Class Of November 2013 Part 2

Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hello! I have been reading and sharing here for a few days. I have been sober for twelve days.

I just cheated on my diet to quell a craving to drink. I know that's bad for me but it worked. I'm so grateful that I've made it through another day sober.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

I am grateful you did as well. Congratulations. Eat all the Big mac's with a salad and skim milk you want. Good for you and make Wednesday another success!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

I have no idea how to tell my family that I am sober. They are a mess right now. All of my blood relatives are addicts, mostly alcoholics. I am probably the least progressed in my disease so I am certain they will try to convince me I am not an alcoholic. This year I'm not ready to fend off the excuses that my AV is dying to agree with. Since we recently lost my grandfather from a gruesome death from alcoholism, I know that I can't play around with this disease. It is fatal.

I refuse to leave this untreated. It really helps me to look at it as a deadly disease. Would I just pretend that cancer wasn't happening? Obviously not. No one can love me enough to make me stop except me.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I can't overemphasise the importance of plans enough guys...

whether it's a vacation, or Thanksgiving, or just the weekend - we all have a reasonable idea of the kinds of situations that we might find ourselves in or that may tempt us - start thinking about strategies to stay sober now - be ready...

and always have an escape plan in case things get too much

D
Thanks Dee, makes sense to me. I plan everything else in my life. I used to plan my drinking, now I have to plan my not drinking. Good points
Old 11-27-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Morning of day 3

Hi

I am new to this site, not really sure where/ how to post.

I suppose I am part of the class of November 2013. I hope I am posting on their page....

So hello. I'm here. Slept well last night. Woke up hungry, ignored it, then wished for a drink. But I hear that sometimes people want a drink when all their bodies really want is food. That helped last night when I was fighting the urge to hit the liquor store on the way home. Luckily I had an apple in the car. That helped enough.

I guess I should get out of bed and eat something. Weird how alcohol makes me forget how to do normal human activities like eating, entertaining myself, cleaning, socializing....

And here we go. Good morning to you all.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Administrator

you found the thread jnut - welcome
D
Old 11-27-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by DoPerdition View Post
I have no idea how to tell my family that I am sober. They are a mess right now. All of my blood relatives are addicts, mostly alcoholics. I am probably the least progressed in my disease so I am certain they will try to convince me I am not an alcoholic. This year I'm not ready to fend off the excuses that my AV is dying to agree with. Since we recently lost my grandfather from a gruesome death from alcoholism, I know that I can't play around with this disease. It is fatal.

I refuse to leave this untreated. It really helps me to look at it as a deadly disease. Would I just pretend that cancer wasn't happening? Obviously not. No one can love me enough to make me stop except me.
If telling them is difficult, or you're not ready for that conversation - don't have it.

Just remember whats best for you and don't drink. You don;t need to offer explanations - they may well want to know but hey...it's your deal.

No thanks is a complete sentence

Do you have a plan for how to handle people who might make it into a big deal?

D
Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone on day the start of day 26 in Ohio. It's the last day of a short week. I had said a couple of days ago it was going to be interesting how much of me stress is self created and how much is legitimate during weeks like this. Turns out they go much smoother when sober. I realize I am still a baby in this journey of a sober life, but to everyone just starting it does not take forever to start feeling better. It actually happens pretty quickly once it's your time.

With that said though you do have to really in your heart give up drinking. Once you completely give that idea up that you can drink then start focusing on everything you are gaining. You'll see this good things multiply if you choose to focus on them and not the drink that you are losing.

Everyone take care, be safe and sober today.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Jnut and doperdition: I have found that eating is crucial for me when I am in the midst of a craving. Hunger is a huge trigger. But, honestly, sometimes I’m not even really hungry, I just want to eat something Anyway, I have quite a bit of weight to lose, but I have learned that sobriety must come first. I do exercise and I eat pretty healthy, just sometimes a bit too much. I found that after I am sober a while, my appetite actually decreases, so then the dieting is a little less of a struggle, it just comes naturally.

Dee, thank you for the emphasis on having a plan for Thanksgiving. I admit that my mind has been telling me that I can have a couple of glasses of wine tomorrow. Followed by the lie that it won’t “count” and I’ll just hop right back on the sober train on Friday. It doesn’t work that way does it? Once my body is given alcohol, it wants more. Maybe not large quantities at first, but after a few days of a few drinks here and there, that’s where it always ends up. Is two glasses of wine with dinner really worth blowing 2 weeks of sobriety?

Last Thanksgiving, coming off my longest stint without alcohol (60 days), I drank until I vomited (something I haven’t done since my twenties probably). And it all began innocently enough.. a few glasses with dinner. UGH> I’m not worried about the social aspect of not drinking. We are going to my parents’ house and many in my family will be drinking, but no one knows I have a problem and they really could care less if I drink or not. It’s all me and my own mind and my own desire to drink. My phone will be my weapon: I’m going to put notes and reminders on to read as well as my SR app, for every time my AV starts telling me, “it’s ok, it’s Thanksgiving. This is your family, no big deal”.

Today I am food shopping and cooking with my daughters, getting ready for tomorrow. Love vacation and holidays with my girls They deserve a sober, clear headed mom, For GOOD, not just most days or some days. 
Old 11-27-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kiya View Post
Good morning everyone on day the start of day 26 in Ohio. It's the last day of a short week. I had said a couple of days ago it was going to be interesting how much of me stress is self created and how much is legitimate during weeks like this. Turns out they go much smoother when sober. I realize I am still a baby in this journey of a sober life, but to everyone just starting it does not take forever to start feeling better. It actually happens pretty quickly once it's your time.

With that said though you do have to really in your heart give up drinking. Once you completely give that idea up that you can drink then start focusing on everything you are gaining. You'll see this good things multiply if you choose to focus on them and not the drink that you are losing.

Everyone take care, be safe and sober today.
I agree! Day 27 here and I feel like I'm past the worst of it, though I did get a bit anxious and resentful of the people in the grocery store clutching their bottles of wine in preparation for a snowstorm/Thanksgiving. I got my stuff and got the heck out of there and got home and made dinner. Anxiety passed quickly, but if I'd caved and drunk, it would still be affecting me (negatively) this morning.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 2. I'm kind of glad we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here - would be too big a challenge so early on. So good luck to everyone who does celebrate it this weekend. Not much sleep last night. Really want to do this, this time, just afraid of failing and lack of willpower. I usually fall at the first hurdle - its what I'm used to and what I've come to expect of myself. Its going to take a major change of outlook and attitude to do this. All support welcome and I will do my best to help you too xx
Old 11-27-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

We bought wine that my mom requested for Thanksgiving, no big deal, wasn't hard for me to do, and then Mr. Gillian wanted champagne, so we picked up that.

Got me thinking... will any of you be having sparkling grape juice, or another faux alcoholic beverage on Thanksgiving? Will this trigger too much temptation?

I have made it 3 weeks!!! It's weird to think that 4 Tuesdays ago I was plastered by noon, and kept drinking all day/night. That life is long gone, and I'm so happy to be here.

Thank you class of Nov. 2013! It's amazing how the support here kept me going.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 2 Snaggle Keep it up! I felt the same way. The only thing I had to go on was my past failures. I made a couple of decisions that along with the support here at SR has made all of the difference this time. The first was that I could expect better for and of myself. I have raised the bar on my expectations of my own behavior. The second is that there is no benefit to drinking. I mean none! I don't want to drink like normal people. I don't want to feel buzzed. If I walked into a room and a bunch of people were sitting around sniffing a gas can. I would have no desire to join them. I don't care how much they raved about how good it made them feel and how great it was. I wouldn't do it and wouldn't feel like I was missing out and they were lucky because they were huffing away like madmen. How is alcohol any different. It is a poison used as a fuel and disinfectant.

You can be successful. You can have the life you want!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Thanks dirk626 - makes a whole lot of sense when you put it like that
Old 11-27-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

I'm in for another 24. Now I'm not sure if this is where I post. I can never find that other place where people are posting each day.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

I'm spending thanksgiving in the Catskills.

This weekend is going to be my first big challenge involving booze. I've done a pretty good job of staying away from it since I first got sober in September, and I haven't had a drink since 9/12/13, but it is going to be in my face for 5 days straight this weekend!

My family knows I'm sober and is supportive of my recovery and my aunt is taking me to AA meetings in the area and I have people to call and SR to post on so I know will get through it successfully.

I also plan on drinking seltzer water like it's going out of style!!!

I have had trouble sleeping the past few nights, as I've been thinking about regretful past alcoholic experiences right before sleep that wake me back up. I can't seem to turn my mind off right now.

I'm going up to the Catskills today and knew I had a long day ahead so I went to bed at a decent time (around 10:30) but woke up wired 2 hours later!! I haven't been to sleep since. I'm P*SSED!

I have a lot of cooking ahead of me and the excitement of seeing family and babies and I hope I get a nap in the car! It's a 2 hour ride from the city to the lake house.

I'm really sad about leaving my cat alone for so long. I asked my pothead cousin who won't be at thanksgiving if he would mind coming by to check on her and he never responded. (Shocker.)
Old 11-27-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

For a better life: I totally understand! I have two kids and recently I drank until I puked, which had not happened for years. Last Friday was horrible. I never want to experience that again. I loved to drink wine and Thanksgiving will be trying, but you are right, my kids deserve a sober mom and I deserve to "remember" the memories we make! Good luck in your recovery!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Morning of day 18 here. The good memories of drinking are already fading, and I barely miss it at all. It really helped for me to just allow myself to miss the drinking at first, and just wait for it to pass while still staying committed to my decision.

Now I feel as though my mourning period is over, and I'm ready to embrace my sobriety with welcome arms. Some of the bad memories have been coming back stronger, instead of the good memories, which is making me even happier that I made this decision. I will never have to feel that kind of shame again.

Have a great day everyone, and stay sober!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Day 2 here! It feels a million times better than hangover day 1. Lots to do and I've already spent too much time reading SR today. Making some coffee then getting the kids to daycare so I can get my classroom ready for next week. Then coming home, making another pie and packing everyone up for a 4 hour drive. Not sure I'm going to successfully get everything done before my husband gets home at 330, but I'll give it a shot!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Day 2 here! It feels a million times better than hangover day 1. Lots to do and I've already spent too much time reading SR today. Making some coffee then getting the kids to daycare so I can get my classroom ready for next week. Then coming home, making another pie and packing everyone up for a 4 hour drive. Not sure I'm going to successfully get everything done before my husband gets home at 330, but I'll give it a shot!,